• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 26, 2011
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7
7.5

1. Sep 13, 2014
    I have normally introduced Pharrell Williams and Gwen Stefani as substitute judges besides Adam Levine and Blake Shelton for the upcoming season of "The Voice" starting September 22.
  2. Mar 25, 2014
    Imagine a show with Adam Levine, Blake Shelton, Usher, and Shakira judging your singing and possibly helping you get a contract! This show is more than amazing! The singers, are phenomenal. There is no reason not to love it. All the judges have a lot of experience, making it even better.

I feel sometimes they don't turn around for good people, possibly even being a little stingy. However, their opinion is final.
    Their stinginess sometimes angers myself, and others. But, it doesn't matter for the show is still phenomenal.
  3. Jan 27, 2014
    The Voice produces the best talent and takes you on a real adventure without the glitter and mechanics of other shows like American Idol, TheX Factor or even America's Got Talent. Where instead The Voice focusses on the artistry and allows these singers to expand and grow with proper coaching in a very amusing set-up. The dynamic between the coaches gets better every year, but what reallyThe Voice produces the best talent and takes you on a real adventure without the glitter and mechanics of other shows like American Idol, TheX Factor or even America's Got Talent. Where instead The Voice focusses on the artistry and allows these singers to expand and grow with proper coaching in a very amusing set-up. The dynamic between the coaches gets better every year, but what really elevated this show to another level to eventually winning an Emmy was season 4. Usher's contribution to the show is terrific and the different forms in which he coaches every individual is emulating. The Voice is not flashy and lamely generic that overhypes all of it's contestants, there is real talent here because I know Adam Lambert can win this show as opposed to coming 2nd to somebody who nobody even remembers. Expand
  4. Nov 22, 2013
    I love this show!!!! I have been watching it for ever really like Blake and Christina and Adam celo is ok. It has been a great season so far everyone was amazing.
  5. Jun 22, 2013
    The blind audition concept is highly intelligent and inventive, yet the show gets boring when it comes to the playoffs, where the lack of singing and overload of emotional content about how 'I am going to win the voice' is highly repetitive.
  6. May 25, 2012
    I love the charisma of the judges, its very true. I also love how the format of the show stayed true to its title, which is entirely judged on the voice of a contestant. A great singing competition that can be matched very well with its other rival shows......
  7. Apr 2, 2012
    Beautiful show, innovative concept, have been following since day 1. Now started on the UK version of the show as well; although identical formula the panel doesnt have the same energy and chemistry. Can't fault the US version apart from failing to promote last seasons winner to international fame. Incredible show that has also produced one of the catchiest tunes of 2011 Moves Like Jagger!
  8. Feb 2, 2012
    The format of the Voice is, in my opinion, without flaws. The 'blind auditions' are where the show shines; the judges each not being able to see the contestants, only hear their voices, and choose whether or not they are through to the next round based on that rather than image or how good-looking a contestant is. The battle rounds, where two contestants have a sing-off inside a boxingThe format of the Voice is, in my opinion, without flaws. The 'blind auditions' are where the show shines; the judges each not being able to see the contestants, only hear their voices, and choose whether or not they are through to the next round based on that rather than image or how good-looking a contestant is. The battle rounds, where two contestants have a sing-off inside a boxing ring also highlight the positive aspects of the show. For the first rounds, when filming it is a full-length performance but obviously has to be cut down to 'about 40 seconds' to fit everything in.

A few people are (obviously) hating on this show because it is related to Christina Aguilera, but it is what every reality-TV show should aim to be. All the coaches [as oppose to judges that feature on most of the inferior singing competitions] have chemistry with each other, which makes the show a lot more entertaining.
  9. Dec 11, 2011
    Aside from a few high points, The Voice had a bad format, terrible judging, and painfully mediocre talent. A poor man's American Idol/X Factor. An absolure chore to watch at times.
  10. Jul 22, 2011
    This show is extremely entertaining. It has a few kinks to work out next year, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's very cool to see the judges working with the contestants and the quality of singing is excellent.
  11. Jun 7, 2011
    I hate reality shows & i hate pop music, but ive seen every episode
    Of this show and after seeing the performances with the
    Judges, it is hands down one
    Of the best shows on TV. i literally get excited to
    The point where my gf and me are on our feet dancing. (i tried rating
    10 But one touch and it went To 9 and wouldn't
    Let me go back)
  12. Jun 7, 2011
    1st Of All I Have To Say This Review Will NOT Be Positive... I Hate Christina.. But As A Critic I Have To Score The Show Itself.. Not The Person.. I'll Be Honest.. This Show Just Seems Like "Just Another Reality Show" There Is Nothing Special About It... However I Do Like The Style & Layout Of The Show...
  13. Jun 7, 2011
    I love the voice's format.
    It is a refreshing thing in the television right now and since I really hated this shows rival on Fox, I find it very nice that NBC has something greater to offer
    Looking forward to the LIVE SHOOOOOOOOOOOWS!
  14. Jun 2, 2011
    Uhh-Mazing!!!! Love love love this show! It has me at the edge of my couch every tuesday night. It's very entertaining, and the talent is so much better then Idol. It's just a much fresher concept all around. A must watch!!!
  15. Jun 2, 2011
    Can not get enough of this show!!! It gets better every week. The talent is much stronger and the coaches are actually coaches!!! They are right there with their team, singing with them, offering advice and such. This show stays true to "The Voice". It's not like American Idol how they always shoot down their contestants telling them they just don't have what it takes because of how theyCan not get enough of this show!!! It gets better every week. The talent is much stronger and the coaches are actually coaches!!! They are right there with their team, singing with them, offering advice and such. This show stays true to "The Voice". It's not like American Idol how they always shoot down their contestants telling them they just don't have what it takes because of how they look. Watch!!! You won't be disappointed... Expand
  16. May 27, 2011
    A refreshing take on and tired old formula. American Idol has become a dull bore, in steps "The Voice" to take its place. Featuring "coaches" who actually know what they are talking about and have actual personalities, what more can you ask for? If you are sick of American Idol and you want something that feels more fresh and almost gameshow-like, check out "The Voice". You wont be disappointed.
  17. May 25, 2011
    If you're a fan at all of talent/reality television you will probably enjoy The Voice. The talent on this show is better than on American Idol, the coaches are insightful and it's really a breath of fresh air for this genre. The production value needs to be increased though. Also one round of blind auditions might not be enough. Though I guess this show will make money by peopleIf you're a fan at all of talent/reality television you will probably enjoy The Voice. The talent on this show is better than on American Idol, the coaches are insightful and it's really a breath of fresh air for this genre. The production value needs to be increased though. Also one round of blind auditions might not be enough. Though I guess this show will make money by people calling in to vote. Expand
  18. May 24, 2011
    Whoa, look at all the 10s! I'm happy to be be "the voice" of reas--, uh, dissent among the viewers, as I don't see "The Voice" as much of an advance on earlier televised singing competitions. For one thing, the show still limits performances to about 40 seconds, allowing no time to build a song's emotional intensity. Singers have to burst into full-throated histrionics by the second bar,Whoa, look at all the 10s! I'm happy to be be "the voice" of reas--, uh, dissent among the viewers, as I don't see "The Voice" as much of an advance on earlier televised singing competitions. For one thing, the show still limits performances to about 40 seconds, allowing no time to build a song's emotional intensity. Singers have to burst into full-throated histrionics by the second bar, then keep the pedal to the metal, hitting as many extra notes as possible in the time remaining, including some really high ones. The show's main gimmick is that its 4 celebrity "coaches" choose singers without first seeing them, which--surprise, surprise--seems to help mainly the pretty ones, who can now tell themselves that talent alone is responsible for their success, despite the fact that the "coaches" face the audience, which CAN see the singers. The coaches vary a lot in appeal. Musically, none is really my cup of tea, but I find Cee Lo Green and Adam Levine quite likeable--and (mostly) discerning. Christina Aguilera is, no surprise, the spokesperson for what pains me to call Soul, demanding to be "moved" and "transported," but picking over-the-top screechers. And I'll bet anyone a thousand dollars that someone has devised a drinking game in which shots are downed every time she sticks both arms up in the air and wiggles. Two thousand says no player has lasted past the fourth commercial break, even the raging alcoholics. Blake Shelton plays the laconic country dude to the point of caricature, though he makes an interesting musical choice from time to time. Overall, though, the show feels incoherent. The "coaches" are soon going to become standard executioners--and a couple seem already to be stacking their teams accordingly. The singers perform in front of a massive forearm topped with a fist holding a microphone while raising two fingers in a "V" (for "voice," "victory," or peace, I could not say). Everything about the giant arm makes my brain hurt, not least that it looks like the base of the "hands of victory" (a/k/a "forearm of Saddam") monument in Baghdad. And the singers look like praying mantises dancing in front of it. Carson Daly is a pain in another organ entirely, and why anyone thought it'd be a good idea to have him running around asking "how do you feel?" and begging to join the interracial families is beyond me. Get rid of him, and give the singers another 15 or 20 seconds to warble! Better yet, make shows that focus more on music than on gimmicks.â Expand
  19. May 13, 2011
    It's irresistible to compare this to American Idol. It seems that because this show has more flexible eligibility requirements (age, experience), they are able to get better singers than AI. Also, the coaches seem to have more insightful things to say than the judges on AI. The clever format is also an advantage. Looks like this show is a keeper.
  20. May 12, 2011
    This show could have been a lot worse. Turns out, I enjoyed about 80% of it! Adam Levine, Cee-Lo, and Christina are fun to watch and offer real technical advice that I find extremely interesting. Almost all the talent is better than the American Idol singers!
  21. May 12, 2011
    I really want to like this show. I really do, but I just don't think it'll make it past season 2, if that. Maybe if they fine tune some things. First, a "blind" audition should be that, a "blind" audition. Not filter through thousands of people and pick the best 50 with unique looks, styles, histories, and voices to be on the show, then be "blindly" chosen. Second, where is the singing?I really want to like this show. I really do, but I just don't think it'll make it past season 2, if that. Maybe if they fine tune some things. First, a "blind" audition should be that, a "blind" audition. Not filter through thousands of people and pick the best 50 with unique looks, styles, histories, and voices to be on the show, then be "blindly" chosen. Second, where is the singing? Literally like 90 to 120 seconds per song? So it's just chorus chorus chorus done. No. Third, after 1 round of "blind" auditions, then you go off their looks and style to choose who they think will get the most votes? Really? 1 round? How about 3 rounds of blind auditions, then the coaching? Or how about coach your best 10, let them sing against other coaches team, and have the audience choose the winner? Fourth, why have people who already has had singing careers or record labels already? Gee, Frenchie Davis? Javier Colon? Vicci Martinez? All of them have had a shot in the industry or are in the industry already. And guess who the front runners are? The one's the show is banking on with all their commercials? Of course. And 5th, damn, you got to have more singing in a 1 hour show. I don't mean length of song, i mean performances. The first couple of episodes, great, a good amount. But this weeks show, really? Four 2 minute "battle" performances? 8 minutes of actual performance. Thank god I have DVR where I just fast forwarded and watched the whole damn thing in less than 15 minutes. Sixth, where is the coaching? They take their team of 8, pair them up, then coaches them one song and then has a 60 second interview? Now I'm sure off camera they worked with them, but if this is a coaching show, there has to be more than that. And I don't know how the music industry coaching works, but does it really matter which coach you get? I mean, literally they say the exact same things. Nothing I haven't heard on American idol, America's got Talent, or even Acappella singing competition does. How does the uniqueness of each coach stand out? Will Cee Lo produce some sick remixes when the coaches go against each other? Will Christina work in some choreography? Will Adam work in a live band on stage? Will Blake teach you to perform with a guitar? Besides the fact that they sing different genres, I would like to know how they will differentiate in their coaching styles. That needs to be shown in a better way for the audience to be hooked. Right now I'm only interested in 2 things, what will Cee Lo say each week to hit up on the hot girl contestants, and how much more weight will Christina gain by sitting there on that couch eating cheetoos. Expand
  22. May 7, 2011
    While I'm not a big fan of reality competitions, this show's concept was enough to peak my interest. The premise of choosing someone based solely on voice (and I guess, the reaction of the crowd) is a nice idea. Lets be realistic, though. Looks will come into play now that the opening round is over, both for the coaches making eliminations and the fan voting later on. I suspect that whenWhile I'm not a big fan of reality competitions, this show's concept was enough to peak my interest. The premise of choosing someone based solely on voice (and I guess, the reaction of the crowd) is a nice idea. Lets be realistic, though. Looks will come into play now that the opening round is over, both for the coaches making eliminations and the fan voting later on. I suspect that when that happens, this will fall much more in line with other singing competitions and my rating of the show will subsequently go down.

My current rating of 7 is for the first two episodes (blind auditions) which I thought were pretty entertaining. I'll go deeper into the negative and positive things I found about the show. In watching the first two episodes, the biggest thing I was disappointed with was that they didn't make it 3 episodes long. They weren't able to show the audience that many good, but failed auditions to really emphasize the quality of talent that made it. By including the few failed auditions, though, they ended up, through time restrictions, depriving the audience of seeing 3 of the competitors that actually made it through, which seems rather unfair when you consider that fan voting will play a part in the show (you would hope that the artists would get similar exposure). If they wanted to keep the blind auditions at 2 episodes, they should have only included successful auditions. Ideally, though, they should have had 3 episodes and included a few more failed auditions.

While it probably has nothing to do with the way the show was produced, I was disappointed to see the unevenness of talent between the episodes. There's no shortness of talent on the show (the worst people on the Voice seem pretty gifted), but it seemed that the truly elite (the early favourites) were all grouped on the same episode.

Back to good things about the show: I think Carson Daly is decent as the host. He hasn't really been getting in the way too much. He seems genuinely happy for the families of the competitors. The drama of those chairs spinning around is great. You watch this and you're just willing the judge's hand to come down on that button.

The judges seemed much more engaged than in other similar competitions. The fact that they're often selling themselves while praising the competitors is an interesting dynamic. The judges interactions amongst themselves and with competitors are pretty entertaining too. I found them all to have decent senses of humor.

There was surprisingly less over-the-top emotion from competitors than in other similar competitions. The post-performance interviews saw families and friends hugging (sometimes with tears in their eyes) but you rarely saw the all out crying and talking at the same time stuff that's so annoying (saw it once in each episode. One from a competitor and the other from a competitor's parent).

The talent is there. These are all up and comers or even semi-established musicians. The fact that they did not put any restrictions in terms of age (or even duos) makes the talent pool as deep as it can be. In the end, that's the most important thing. The quality of the show depends on how much of a competition it is. The only way to ensure you have a great competition is to have as many capable competitors as possible.
  23. May 4, 2011
    I think this show is better than American idol because it does not judge you by the way you may look they judge you by the way you sing and also it is a competition between the finalists but also between the judges which is different than other shows and much better which is great. In this show they help you find the voice within and bring out the best you inside to out . another goodI think this show is better than American idol because it does not judge you by the way you may look they judge you by the way you sing and also it is a competition between the finalists but also between the judges which is different than other shows and much better which is great. In this show they help you find the voice within and bring out the best you inside to out . another good thing is that you get to determine your future you get to pick which coach , that has pushed the button , you think would be the better career field 4 you ; that fits into your vision of what type of singer you what to be and that you think will open you up and take you far in this business:) Expand
  24. May 4, 2011
    The judges are the highlight, and each of them has a unique personality and chemistry with each other. Unfortunately, these contestants have impeccable singing voices, but aren't good singers. What i mean by that can only be described by music. Julian Casablancas does not have a good voice. He is a terrific singer. Same with Jo **** John Lennon, etc. The contestants are all much tooThe judges are the highlight, and each of them has a unique personality and chemistry with each other. Unfortunately, these contestants have impeccable singing voices, but aren't good singers. What i mean by that can only be described by music. Julian Casablancas does not have a good voice. He is a terrific singer. Same with Jo **** John Lennon, etc. The contestants are all much too radio friendly, and none of them really push the bar vocally. Instead of hard hitting songs such as Tom Petty's American Girl or Led Zeppelins "Dazed and Confused", we instead have songs like "im yours' By jason Mraz. Thats not exactly a bad thing, but america needs to learn the difference between singing and SINGING. Expand
  25. May 1, 2011
    Generally I'm not a big fan of talent based reality shows, but the concept for The Voice seemed interesting to me. Four judges sit facing away from potential finalists, judging them entirley on their vocal talent. Unfortionatly, after watching the an episode I was greatly disappointed. Other then the fact that it plays out like a cookie cutter reality show, my main problem was theGenerally I'm not a big fan of talent based reality shows, but the concept for The Voice seemed interesting to me. Four judges sit facing away from potential finalists, judging them entirley on their vocal talent. Unfortionatly, after watching the an episode I was greatly disappointed. Other then the fact that it plays out like a cookie cutter reality show, my main problem was the contestants. All the contestants are generally TV friendly in appearance. I was expecting exploitation of the blind judge factor, but no, it is basically pointless. Another wasted concept, another one season, forgettable reality show. Expand
  26. Apr 29, 2011
    This show has it all over "American Idol." The coaches/judges are not only individually charming and charismatic, their chemistry is palpable and they genuinely seem to enjoy each other's company. Add to that a fascinating group of contestants and a premise that beats "Idol" all holllow and you have a show that I hope delivers the final coup de grace to "Idol," which lost me for once andThis show has it all over "American Idol." The coaches/judges are not only individually charming and charismatic, their chemistry is palpable and they genuinely seem to enjoy each other's company. Add to that a fascinating group of contestants and a premise that beats "Idol" all holllow and you have a show that I hope delivers the final coup de grace to "Idol," which lost me for once and for all with the elimination of Pia Toscano. Long live "The Voice"! Down with "idol"! Expand
  27. Apr 27, 2011
    What a brilliant idea, and execution of this new American Idol-killing show! They've found great talent so far, the judges are all very interesting and have great chemistry. Half the talent we saw last night could walk off the show and get record contracts on their own now. My wife said, "And I would listen to the radio a lot more because of it." Its just a brilliant show concept and itWhat a brilliant idea, and execution of this new American Idol-killing show! They've found great talent so far, the judges are all very interesting and have great chemistry. Half the talent we saw last night could walk off the show and get record contracts on their own now. My wife said, "And I would listen to the radio a lot more because of it." Its just a brilliant show concept and it has a TON of promise. If you ever, even secretly enjoyed an episode or two of A Idol, you should absolutely give this show a shot. Well done! Expand
  28. Apr 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A great show. It's more real, more down to earth and the talent isn't based on image or age! Christina, Adam, Blake and Cee Lo make a great panel of judges and they are a lot of fun. If the rest of the people can relate to this, it's a sure hit! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Paige Wiser
    May 4, 2011
    The Voice is not that bad.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    May 3, 2011
    Visually, it makes for odd television. Odder still is that the coaches compete too....The good news? The caliber of voices is high--better than American Idol. [16 May 2011, p.43]
  3. Reviewed by: Verne Gay
    May 2, 2011
    While you're left to wonder why these four stars need a reality show, or why the contestants never truly made it in the first place, "The Voice" should remain a solid performer for NBC--which it so very badly needs.