The Walking Dead : Season 2

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 31, 2010
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
7.0

1. Oct 30, 2011
    While a great series with awesome zombie effects, season two of TWD is a mixed bag. The main reason it falls short is it ignores its own rules, and spends far too long at certain unnecessary scenes. The zombies act FAR too smart to be zombies, and selectively can run depending on the scene. Showing intellect and fine motor control necessary for the writing to continue in the directionWhile a great series with awesome zombie effects, season two of TWD is a mixed bag. The main reason it falls short is it ignores its own rules, and spends far too long at certain unnecessary scenes. The zombies act FAR too smart to be zombies, and selectively can run depending on the scene. Showing intellect and fine motor control necessary for the writing to continue in the direction the writer wanted, when alternatives are readily available. For example instead of having a zombie fall beside a car to scare away the little girl, the zombie... showing both intelligence and fine motor control: GETS DOWN TO LOOK. With a CLEAR care to not harm itself.

Its just a bizarre mixed bag that will leave the critical viewer a little frustrated at easily available mistakes. All in all its a good effort... but it needs to establish clear guidelines of what a zombie is and can do. And stick to them. Continuity and maintaining suspension of disbelief is the first rule in a fantastical setting like this.
  2. Mar 21, 2012
    After how superb season one turned out to be, to say I was excited for AMC's second installment was an understatement. The first season was awesome, plain and simple however it only delivered 6 episodes so when it was confirmed season 2 would consist of 13 i was delighted, the more the merrier right? Season 2 began with a bang. Literally a bang! Rick and the fellow survivors head towardsAfter how superb season one turned out to be, to say I was excited for AMC's second installment was an understatement. The first season was awesome, plain and simple however it only delivered 6 episodes so when it was confirmed season 2 would consist of 13 i was delighted, the more the merrier right? Season 2 began with a bang. Literally a bang! Rick and the fellow survivors head towards Fort Benning however they soon become trapped on the highway as walkers surround them resulting in Sophia going missing from the group. As the first episode ends Carl (Rick's son) is inadvertently shot this leads Rick to a nearby farm owned by Hershel. This predominantly is the setting for the entirety of Season 2 and along with it the search for Sophia, it also brought us some new characters in the face of Hersehl and hi family. Whilst TWD returning in fabulous form unfortunately the show suffered from some serious pacing issues. Particularly in the first half of the season. Its all to stop-start and it prevents the show from flowing at an even pace. The story also failed to deliver for some episodes which was disappointing as the first season was hugely engrossing from start to finish. Maybe it's because of the setting, stuck on Hershel's farm, the long-drawn out search for Sophia or some plain stupid plot points. Thankfully episode 7; "Pretty Much Dead Already" was a massive turning point in the series. It was dramatic, eventful and more like it from the writers at AMC. It resolved the fate of Sophia and showed a ruthlessness amongst the characters, mainly Shane and set things up perfectly for the second half which was largely tremendous from "Nebraska" through to the finale "Beside The Dying Fire." The characters grew more and the plot thickened bringing around some momentous moments and deaths. The tension between Rick and Shane resulted in a showdown and drew to a fatal climax. There are also a surprise, tragic death to a central character proving that no one is safe ultimately leading to the fabulous finale where there are walkers, firefights, and a revelation that changed everything. Oh and the introduction of a familiar comic character left things perfectly poised for Season 3! Overall, Season 2 was a mixed bag that i thoroughly enjoyed. At times it was frustrating (Lori anyone?) and at times just amazing because as stop-start and flawed the first half of the season proved to be the second part of Season 2 was a fantastic return to form delivering more unmissable zombie action and making the wait for Season 3 seem almost unbearable. Bring on October! Expand
  3. Nov 9, 2012
    This season needed to give more than it did. It's holding back from us. Why?
  4. Oct 21, 2011
    An excellently made show that manages to create a global apocalypse on a TV show budget. The tension is high, the action is exciting and the special effects look great. The acting is of a high caliber even if the characters portrayed don't fully engage the viewer. What is unfortunate is that the show hasn't got me hooked yet. Maybe it is down to the aforementioned lack of engagement withAn excellently made show that manages to create a global apocalypse on a TV show budget. The tension is high, the action is exciting and the special effects look great. The acting is of a high caliber even if the characters portrayed don't fully engage the viewer. What is unfortunate is that the show hasn't got me hooked yet. Maybe it is down to the aforementioned lack of engagement with characters or the general directionless nature of a show about survivors not knowing their next step. I enjoy watching the show but I don't see myself becoming a diehard fan. Expand
  5. Oct 18, 2011
    Robert Kirkman's black-and-white "zombie apocalypse" graphic novel returns for a second televised season on AMC (which focuses mainly on films and only shows four other original series). That's right--THE WALKING DEAD is back, bloody, and better than ever.

Season 2 began with a sixty-six-minute premiere called "What Lies Ahead" (just as the first season did with "Days Gone Bye", the only episode so far to share its name with one of the installments in the graphic novel saga). The gist is generally the same as it was in season one: Deputy Rick Grime continues his ambitious journey of survival with his family and few surviving friends. Since he has finally reached Atlanta (his original destination), he must continue on his carnage-filled quest.

The only thing that's still up in the air with THE WALKING DEAD is that last statement. In other words, we are wondering, even after 6+ hours total of watching, when Rick Grimes is ever going to end his journey and how long it will take him to find a safe haven that's NOT inhabited with zombies (or, as the show refers to them, "walkers"). Or will he die on the way? Still, it's "gory with story" (the only good type of "gory"), entertaining, and a rarely superficial saga that leaves us hanging for a whole week or so--that week being the time in which a new episode is not airing. Suspenseful.
  6. Oct 25, 2011
    Liked the first season. Now i'm excited to see what they can do with a bigger budget. I enjoyed the first couple episodes. There is more tension in this season than the previous. I'm really loving this series keep it up AMC. 9/10
  7. Nov 26, 2011
    I was enthralled during the first season. The only thing keeping me from giving the second season a higher score, is the drawn out search for the little girl. The new writers, have done a good job otherwise. I still can't wait to watch more of this show, but they must end this search for the little girl and move on with the storyline!
  8. Mar 19, 2012
    There were moments of suspense this season, though unfortunately more lacking such. I think the series would be much more exciting if the group had a common goal other than to simply survive, perhaps they could give the audience something to look forward to by trying to locate a cure or sustainable shelter. At the moment it seems as though personal conflicts are overstaying their welcomeThere were moments of suspense this season, though unfortunately more lacking such. I think the series would be much more exciting if the group had a common goal other than to simply survive, perhaps they could give the audience something to look forward to by trying to locate a cure or sustainable shelter. At the moment it seems as though personal conflicts are overstaying their welcome in the main story arc rather than the group focusing on what's really important. Expand
  9. Mar 19, 2012
    First season was better, but this season was no slouch either. I feel like my opinion changed from one episode to the next with this series. I appreciate character development, but sometime it's just redundant dialogue / interaction between the characters, and not enough forward movement of the storyline. However; just when it's getting slow it picks right back up again... but only to slowFirst season was better, but this season was no slouch either. I feel like my opinion changed from one episode to the next with this series. I appreciate character development, but sometime it's just redundant dialogue / interaction between the characters, and not enough forward movement of the storyline. However; just when it's getting slow it picks right back up again... but only to slow down of course. I think this season was good, but prolly could have been condensed into 5 episodes to be honest. I also think the cast director should be fired, it really has some of the worst acting ever, thank God the storyline can support them. Also, thank you for getting rid of Shane, I don't think I could take another season watching him make those stupid facial expressions. That said, the scene with Sophia may have been one of my top favorite moments in television. Very powerful stuff. All in all, after all my complaining, i will still be looking forward to season 3. Bring back the suspense, bring back the storyline, and bring back that Katana toting ninja zombie slayer! Expand
  10. Nov 1, 2011
    I was sceptical about how you could drag a Zombie based show out for hour after hour, considering most movies about it are usually - hold up for 90 minutes then make a final stand - But i was pleasantly surprised by this show and it's clearly improving. I'm hoping that they don't spend too many episodes held up on a single situation and make each one stand on it's own while alsoI was sceptical about how you could drag a Zombie based show out for hour after hour, considering most movies about it are usually - hold up for 90 minutes then make a final stand - But i was pleasantly surprised by this show and it's clearly improving. I'm hoping that they don't spend too many episodes held up on a single situation and make each one stand on it's own while also incorporating the overall story Expand
  11. Nov 19, 2011
    Zombies... Drama.... TV... LOVE IT. seriously worth watching!! i feel that each episode is always incredibly interesting, however, season 2 doesn't seem to have an advancement on their goal being finding the girl and getting to their destination.
  12. Dec 14, 2011
    The second season of the walking dead defines what a TV show should be. It has a mix of comedy, and drama that everyone loves, not to mention the zombies. The acting is incredible, and the storyline is amazing, bottom line, best TV show ever
  13. Dec 15, 2011
    The midseason 2 finale was one of the greatest moments in TV history. I was skeptical about this series at first, but the storyline and character development are gripping. A must see.
  14. Jan 11, 2012
    Sorry fat people! Lets just say if it ever comes to this...Im going to India where there are more vegetarians. The only Zombie show taken seriously as a WAKE UP call in how survivors will deal with world cataclysm. According to experts after a few days of catastrophe without food/water people turn to CANNIBALISM! go diet
  15. Mar 19, 2012
    Okay, I'll admit that the first half of season 2 wasn't very good... at all. There was a reason for that though. There were COMPLETELY DIFFERENT WRITERS for that half of the season. I've grown so tired of critics (experts and users alike... and by the way... f*** Andy Grenwald from Grantland.com) continuing to complain about the first half of this season, over and over and over. TheOkay, I'll admit that the first half of season 2 wasn't very good... at all. There was a reason for that though. There were COMPLETELY DIFFERENT WRITERS for that half of the season. I've grown so tired of critics (experts and users alike... and by the way... f*** Andy Grenwald from Grantland.com) continuing to complain about the first half of this season, over and over and over. The 2nd half has CLEARLY been much better, and that's because there are new writers who have taken over. It's not like their job was easy. They had to cover up all the plot holes from the first half, as well as develop characters since the other writers made every character annoying in some way. It's pretty amazing that it only took 6 episodes for the new writers to completely redeem the show. The suspense is back, and it's back in a BIG way. Especially in the season finale of Season 2. The characters have become much more interesting, and I couldn't be more excited for Season 3. The introduction of Michonne at the end of Season 2 pretty much made me crap my pants I was so excited. People need to either forget the first half of this season, or quit watching the show altogether. The 2nd half was basically an entirely new show. No other show on television has the action, or suspense, or violence (not to mention costumes for the walkers) of TWD. Best of all, I've grown to like every character (with the exception of Lori who I sincerely hope is killed off in Season 3), and actually care about whether they live or die in Season 3. I'll be on the edge of my seat, and it's because the writing is exponentially better with the new cast of writers. Expand
  16. Feb 12, 2012
    I gotta say, the first season was good but the second is better. i have read all the comics and this show is good. just cuz the second season is "slow" like ppl are saying is crap. the comics are the same way this isnt a action show its a DRAMA!
  17. Mar 13, 2012
    Wow! The Last Three Episodes of this Season have been pretty good,Season two has been a very slow start and i think the writers wanted to build up the drama that is coming to at the season finale.i can't wait for the 3rd season, this show has been a wild ride of zombie killing since the beginning.
  18. Jul 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Season 2 had it's ups and its down from beginning to the end. With the Death of Sofia and of Shane and some of Hershel's close family. The story seemed slow for some but what the writers seemed to of wanted to do for the viewers was to go farther in depth and show everyone what they were deep down inside. The biggest twist I thought came in the episode "Pretty Much Dead Already" when the group found out there were walkers in Hershel's barn. The Episode "Nebraska" also showed that there were more survivors than just Rick's group and the really posed a thread especially after Rick brought back one of the men from the group who fired upon him to the Farm. The biggest loss besides the death of Sofia would had to of been the death Shane my favorite character I felt like he posed a threat to Rick & the group yet that he had what it took to support the group and to lead them to safety for which he did already for Rick's son Carl and Rick's Wife Lori. Some other crazy things that happened were Carl was shot and Shane sacrificed Otis to keep himself alive and to get the supplies to Carl so Hershel could preform surgery on him and try and save his life. Season 3 to me seems like it is going to be twice as better than the first two seasons. Expand
  19. Oct 23, 2011
    Season One Was "Good" Sometimes Really Good.. But Season Two So Far Is.... Ok.... Some Parts Honestly Seem To Drag On And On And On.. And You Just Want Them To End... Some Parts Are Really Scary Fun! Overall The Walking Dead Season 2 Is OK.
  20. j30
    Jan 24, 2012
    Not as good as the first season, but the whole season comes in full circle in the end. The horrifying images from the finale have haunted me for days now. Compelling stuff.
  21. Oct 16, 2011
    Great show! Full of suspense and drastic situations. The choices made always have consequences. This season is a big difference from the first. This one is full of action and scares.
  22. Nov 21, 2011
    I think this show is way better than the 1st season. It shows more about everyones past and just doesnt stay stuck to Rick. And the zombie killing is better too. Overall i think the show is better.
  23. Mar 11, 2012
    The season has been been really good, and I think the last three episodes should put to rest any of the hate aimed at the season so far. I don't want to give it away, but people who weren't too thrilled with the episode seriously need to check out the last three leading up to the finale.
  24. Mar 16, 2012
    People love to nit-pick and moan and as soon as you see that in a review, stop reading. You're never going to get a balanced review when people rip into it like that - so he's my attempt of a balance review. Season 1 was yes, fantastic, but in 6 episodes, there's not much time to do wrong. For season 2, over double that have been made and therefore the action needs to be spread out more.People love to nit-pick and moan and as soon as you see that in a review, stop reading. You're never going to get a balanced review when people rip into it like that - so he's my attempt of a balance review. Season 1 was yes, fantastic, but in 6 episodes, there's not much time to do wrong. For season 2, over double that have been made and therefore the action needs to be spread out more. This show is all about human emotion and tragedy, not blowing zombie brains out every 5 minutes. Being the first zombie TV series, the likes of gamers will have been immediately attracted to this show and of course human emotion doesn't exist these types of games, it's all about the action. So as soon as these fans started watching season 2, I believe they were shocked to see people talking about their feelings more than seeing heads being blown off. But in reality, this technique has actually been really effective. For other fans of the show, too much zombie killing and confrontation would get boring way too quickly, and suddenly the frequent appearance of the zombies, would make them less frightening, as the more we see and learn about the unknown, the less effect it has on us. However by having the zombies appear in small groups, only here and there during the season has built the tension up brilliantly, especially up to towards the end of the first half of the season. When they all suddenly appear, it makes the action much more intense, wild and unpredictable compared to how it would be if the zombies were the main focus of the show. In the second half of season 2 this use of bringing in the zombies at climatic points in virtually each episode has solidified this show as the best since Lost for me as the intensity continues to rise, whilst still holding a balance with human emotion - and the season finale looks to be possibly the best episode yet. Yes, at times during the first 5 episodes perhaps there was a little bit too much talk and I'll admit I was a little bored from time to time, but like I said, the lack of major events was a brilliant ploy leading us into the final episode of 2011. And again, I reiterate that most of the bad reviews will be coming from action-hungry gamers who instead got a taste of the undesirable, yet extremely relevant physiological effects of this type of scenario. There are also fans of the comics obviously watching this series, however they too need to understand one point - what works in a comic won't work in a TV series. Some things just aren't workable and that has to be accepted! So all in all I'd say that this season of TWD has turned out to be even better than the first, it's just a shame that yes, the first half was a little too uneventful but an even bigger shame that people can't accept the relevance of these episodes and move on. Expand
  25. Oct 16, 2011
    So despite all the changes behind the show, The Walking Dead still manages to be one of the most tense and thrilling shows out there with season 2 as of now. It also helps that this episode is following the comics a lot more than before, although that doesn't matter to me personally, as long as they tell a good story, which they sure as hell did with this episode.
  26. Oct 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Through the 2nd episode the season has been great. 1st episode was definitely better than the 2nd, which was a setup. T-Dog better not die. Writing is very good. Expand
  27. Nov 23, 2011
    This is a great show, something everyone noticed in the first season. Everyone seems to be complaining about Season 2 because its slower, and the storyline isn't advancing, and there isn't as much zombie killing etc. For starters it's a longer season, therefore they are using the time for character development (something essential if the show is meant to last, and I say it has a very goodThis is a great show, something everyone noticed in the first season. Everyone seems to be complaining about Season 2 because its slower, and the storyline isn't advancing, and there isn't as much zombie killing etc. For starters it's a longer season, therefore they are using the time for character development (something essential if the show is meant to last, and I say it has a very good chance). It's like letting food settle before dessert, relax people, the zombie killing gory action we all love will soon be back (with characters we'll feel even stronger about). Expand
  28. Nov 7, 2011
    I loved the first season and i already love the second. This show has to be up there in the list of best shows of all time. I have never been so captivated nor terrified by a show ever before. It just doesn't even seem possible that this is a show. It's like a movie and theres a sequel a week and they just keep getting better and better. Great season so far for an amazing show.
  29. Nov 23, 2011
    I gave season 1 a 9. However this season is lacking the excitement and suspense that the previous season had. The girl being lost is stupid at this point. It has been 6 episodes with her "lost" and at this point I hope she's dead. Everyone I've talked to agrees they have drawn that situation out way to far. I'd like to see a good season finale soon. Hopefully it is a good finish to thisI gave season 1 a 9. However this season is lacking the excitement and suspense that the previous season had. The girl being lost is stupid at this point. It has been 6 episodes with her "lost" and at this point I hope she's dead. Everyone I've talked to agrees they have drawn that situation out way to far. I'd like to see a good season finale soon. Hopefully it is a good finish to this average season. Expand
  30. Nov 17, 2011
    The Walking Dead is a fresh air, after 5 years of boring zombie movies.
    Their undead are hungry for the warmth of life. And the living, hungry to take other lives.
    And the best? no undead riding a horse or trying to talk! Thank you Kirkman!

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Oct 21, 2011
    As we head into Season 2, it's becoming increasingly clear that they [the actors] can't make these characters interesting, because they're too thinly conceived.
  2. Reviewed by: Michelle Welch
    Oct 20, 2011
    In many ways, it was where the series ought to have begun.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Oct 17, 2011
    The show creates tension--through atmosphere and characters the audience cares about--and offers so many make-you-jump scares that by the end of an episode, you're left breathless.