• Network: AMC
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 31, 2010
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4
7.4

1. Nov 4, 2013
    It's only been 4 episodes but so far "The Walking Dead" is off to a great 4th season. After the disaster that was the second half of season 3, it's nice to see that the show is back to focusing on the zombies. Dumb writing still plagues this season and characters still act moronic, but it's still a highly enjoyable show. Action is gorier than ever and the new sickness sweeping through the prison, as well as other places, brings several big questions to the table that the show can tease us with. So The Walking Dead is still worth watching. I do have my complaints with it, like the idiotic writing and the shows apparent fear of adding any new characters that didn't com from the comics, but I'm really enjoying it. I'll update my review at a later time if I feel the show has either increased or decreased in quality. Expand
  2. Apr 13, 2014
    The season starts with glimpses of life that has returned to the ordinary. Crops being grown, people socializing, councils being made. The sense of security that the prison has provided has helped flourish a kind of civilization, but also made them somewhat complacent. The fact that everyone comes back a walker no matter how they died has serious consequences for the group. This is not helped by the surge of a killer flu through the prison population.

The Governor returns but this time we are shown the more humane side of his albeit with surprisingly more violence and cruelty. Another group of survivors is introduced. Needless to say, we get to witness the Second Battle of Prison with more surprises and deaths. The mid season finale was by far my favourite episode of the entire show.

The characters splinter into couples and threesomes. A few of them die. Some of them unite to form bigger groups, some find new characters, others are left alone by themselves. I'm pleased that the characters didn't conveniently find each other by a miracle. Instead of being pitted against a main antagonist, an opportunity to develop and incorporate some of the sinister events was availed. We get to see Daryl and Michonne develop as bits of their pasts are revealed, making them more wholesome and interesting characters. Rick Grimes shows his savage side again when forced into a corner. I believe we've reached a point where the most dangerous and ruthless characters on the show are none other than the main characters themselves.
  3. Nov 19, 2013
    Moments of season 3 made me question whether this show still had the hook that sucked me in during its first two seasons. Fortunately, season 4 of The Walking Dead serves as evidence that this show has still got it.
  4. Oct 17, 2013
    OK. I get why other people think this show is overrated. Those people are actually those who watch the show thinking about what other people think about the show and not about what the show offers. As someone who has seen this series and all its seasons, the attachment that I linked with the characters and their minds overwhelms the idea that a lot of people watch this because its appeal to human emotions (fear, regret, rejection, redemption) is magnified. Expand
  5. Dec 12, 2013
    The end of the first half of this season left me emotionally drained, and all the better for it. The season seemed oddly structured as it was progressing, but any show that can get me so engaged with fate of the characters gets my highest vote.
  6. Nov 5, 2013
    The first 4 episodes so far are very emotional and more gruesome and just very intense. I am now glued to these characters even more. Can't wait for these next 12 episodes to wrap up so i can give my full review of the season.
  7. Nov 30, 2013
    Season 4 they really picked up the speed and more zombies and nice little steady plot holding everything together.Season 4 gives viewers none stop unpredictable action and give you a nightmares that you stuck in zombie apocalyptic era.
  8. Mar 30, 2014
    The storytelling was slower than it was last season, but in this case it's not a bad thing at all. The show is as intense as it has been since season one. This season wasn't perfect, but it did manage to stay interesting for 16 episodes. The acting was great as always and the writing has improved from last season. There were interesting new characters, as well as moments that kept you on the edge of your seat. From beginning to end there was solid dialogue, great acting, cool zombie moments, complex moral situations, and nice little breather moments thrown in. Overall, it wasn't perfect, but it was still pretty good. Expand
  9. Oct 19, 2013
    A little bit of a slower start than I was expecting, but the walking dead continues to impress and show that it will be here to stay for awhile.
  10. Nov 23, 2013
    This show has slowly developed into one of the three or four best shows on TV these days, which is saying a lot in this new Golden Age. The writing has gotten smarter and wiser with each new episode, the acting has settled into mostly solid with smatterings of excellence, and the character development is top notch. None of the parts, though, really accounts for the sum, which is absolutely great. It is probably the Governor who puts this over the top here, an excellent character played to pitch perfection by David Morrissey. ...Hands up if you knew he was actually British. Expand
  11. Nov 25, 2013
    The tension in this series never lets you down. The script is coherent, the performances are more than convincing and, in my opinion, the best of it all: the excellent work of make up. The fourth season is as good as the previous ones. Congratulations to all the people behind The Walking Dead
  12. Dec 18, 2013
    A return to form, harking back the excellent character driven storytelling of season one. I particularly like how the new show runner is exploring the different perspectives and journeys of key characters, it makes the plot more three dimensional, rather than a basic good vs. bad tale. Really enjoyed this season.
  13. Nov 9, 2013
    The Walking dead is one of the greatest series i've ever seen, only Breaking Bad is on same level. Right from actors, story, drama and character development its just great! Many think that there isnt enough action but then people dont understand what the walking dead is about. This show is about people and thats happens to them in when the world goes under.
  14. Oct 15, 2013
    LOL, as user below me said "best show on TV." That's without a doubt. I didn't think they'd go beyond the first season at first but it's definitely turned out to be more promising than some of "best" shows like Dexter and Breaking Bad. More suspense and GORE. I like the GORE. A lot.
  15. Oct 13, 2013
    The best show on TV. Scary, dramatic, disgusting, romantic...........perfect!!!!! Don't miss it!!!!! Season 4 is gonna be amazing!!!!! Can't wait for the next episode!!!
  16. Oct 21, 2013
    We are two episodes in and people are ripping it all apart. IT takes time to develop. It was stated by the creators that the show would be very character based this season. It's doing a great job so far. One of the best shows in TV history.
  17. Jan 20, 2014
    The Walking Dead first premiered on Halloween. The show is not that scary. At times, there is graphic language. Every episode has a twist at the end. It's a good show. It's not only horrific, but it has action and adventure. zombies!
  18. Jan 27, 2014
    Damn good show. Always anxious for Sunday nite to arrive. Good cast. Never predictable - that's what I like. Hope it stays for awhile. I can't stand when a good show gets cancelled. Keep it coming!
  19. Nov 30, 2013
    This season starts SLOW. Probably the slowest start of any season. However, after the introductory subplot that takes place over the first half dozen or so episodes, the story really picks up a lot. I admit the first episodes don't engage like previous seasons, the story is so much better now. If you're struggling through the beginning of the season, stick with it, it is worth it.

Great
    show though, the writing and acting is spot on. In order for a survival show to work, you have to care about the survivors. Walking Dead Season 4 continues what the previous seasons expertly accomplished by making you care about and love the characters. When people die (and they do), you feel something. Expand
  20. Oct 13, 2013
    Season 4 is off to a great start! Like any episode of TWD that can be considered great, there's a great balance between zombie action and characterization. The pacing was very good and I never felt like the episode was moving too slow or fast. You can tell season 4 has a bigger budget, given how improved the gore and overall effects look compared to past seasons. Seriously, how killer was that grocery story sequence? I was very satisfied overall with the premiere and I can't wait to see what's next! Expand
  21. Nov 3, 2013
    Amazing first few episodes. Rick and the gang are faced with all new threats. Now all we need is the Governor. So far many conflicts and character building. So far amazing and its getting better and better!!!!! TEAM DARYL!!!!!!!
  22. Mar 17, 2014
    This is obvious just my opinion based on the fact that i do like the series... Being a Romero Living Dead fan, this is the best Show ongoing now! The best post apocalyptic scenario, the best drama!
    For those that do read the comic book since 2008 like me, know that Robert Kirkman makes us get attached to a characters and then kills it... In the TV series, some of them don't die or live
    the some way.
    The medium is different, so the series as a more vivid twist and putts a smile on those that by reading the comic think that they know how it will happen.
    The point is, its completely different and completely the same... And that is good!

This is a series that looks like a movie in production. The acting isn't always brilliant, but is compelling and believable. Some low points are acceptable considering that is a ongoing series that sometimes as to fill the "meanwhiles" of the stories that matter!

Its a complete entertaining show of emotions, that delivers what was started in the George Romero 1967 movie. The irony and sarcasm of the human relations of those living in a phobic community of some apocalyptic scenario!

The secret of the series is the dramatization of the behavior of people in groups, with the effects of social relations and motivations interacting with and against their individual needs...
    As long the show stays true to that... I will always love it, and rated 10!
  23. Oct 14, 2013
    Definitely the strongest series opening presented by The Walking Dead so far, probably down to the episode being written by Scott M. Gimple, who has arguably written the best episodes of the show ('Clear' and '18 Miles Out' being fantastic examples). I was surprised to find it with an 87 rating on Metacritic on Friday, but now I have seen the episode I am even more surprised that the rating has dipped to 77. Absolutely fantastic. Expand
  24. Oct 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Please Note: I am not a professional reviewer, my opinion does not dominate yours in any way. This is just my opinion and my review. Please also note that this may contain spoilers for anyone who has not seen episode 401 of TWD, you have been warned]

Getting sick of all the hate for the show. Yes there are better shows. But the season just started, and there are many new unanswered questions that are keeping me on the edge of my seat waiting for the answers. The first episode showed us some of the changes to the prison, introduced new characters. To many this can seem kind of slow, but it didn't bother me any. When Rick was talking to the creepy lady in the forrest I do admit that it wasn't the brightest part of the episode. But it showed us how some people are living this far into the ZA. When it got to the Big Spot scene, it really kept me on the edge. The scene involved walkers falling through the roof, a new character being stuck, and eventually the death of another different new character. Which surprisingly his death gave me a chill, maybe it was because we haven't seen a good walker death scene in awhile, or maybe it was the combination of the chaos and how fast they killed him. Either way I found it pretty good. Then the death of Patrick alone increased my anticipation for the next episode and the desire to find out whats going on.

This episode hit 16.1 million viewers, which I agree that quality always beats quanity. But the show is entertaining to alot of people. And if they can find joy in it, then why are people so harsh to bring it down? Its like no one has anything better to do than bash other TV shows. I know it is a review website, but "critics" need to give it an actual review instead of saying "the series is so overrated so Im gonna give it lowest score" Seriously? Just cause something is popular and overated doesn't make it terrible. There are plotholes, just like in every TV series and every Movie (some more than others). But if your gonna just watch the show to scan for plotholes instead of actually enjoy the show, then just don't watch it in fact don't watch any show because you will just ruin it for yourself.

To wrap up my statement, this is just my opinion. The best way to decide if you like the new season or not is by watching it yourself, not by reading a review. Thank you for the time to read this! Whether you agree with me or not, thats is ok with me! Take care, and have a wonderful day!
  25. Oct 18, 2013
    9 on a 10 MINIMUM. "QUALITY" is my descriptive word. Nice soundtrack, effect, storyline, actors... don't miss it. Zombie or non zombie fan can enjoy it. Even girlfriend who hate horror and bloody stuff..
  26. Nov 18, 2013
    Walking Dead Season 4 refreshes the series with a new threat, more zombies, and this year every character gets their own story. The change of pace is one that may bother some fans but once everyone is settled its an amazing experience.
  27. Nov 27, 2013
    merci beaucoup metacritic c'est grace vous que j'ai connu cette super série et encore grace vous si je la suis depuis 4 saisons vous faites du super boulot
  28. Mar 2, 2014
    It's the #1 show on TV for a reason. The Walking Dead continues to be my favorite show of all of TV. Amazing acting, great story telling, and edge of your seat action. The Walking Dead is the best show on TV PERIOD!!

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Jan 3, 2014
    The Walking Dead might have been one of [the ambitious modern horror series], using a grotesque story to go deep, letting grief and repulsion rile and unsettle us. Instead, it stumbles forward, disguised as prestige TV but devoid of a soul.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Oct 14, 2013
    If the first two episodes are any indication, not only is the series not missing a beat, it's actually growing into itself to allow new storytelling possibilitie
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Hale
    Oct 11, 2013
    The challenge with any extended zombie narrative is striking the right balance between gut-munching action and undergraduate philosophy seminar, and the first two episodes this season are pretty talky.