The Walking Dead : Season 4

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 31, 2010
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
6.7

1. Apr 1, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Every time The Walking Dead moves away from the story-lines found in the comic books, such as the two episodes focusing on The Governor following the fall of Alexandria, the show quickly loses its momentum and narrative drive. Fortunately this happens relatively infrequently and, with the best episodes rivalling any other drama series currently on TV for dramatic intensity, it continues to make for entertaining (and still very gory) television. Expand
  2. Nov 4, 2013
    It's only been 4 episodes but so far "The Walking Dead" is off to a great 4th season. After the disaster that was the second half of season 3, it's nice to see that the show is back to focusing on the zombies. Dumb writing still plagues this season and characters still act moronic, but it's still a highly enjoyable show. Action is gorier than ever and the new sickness sweeping through theIt's only been 4 episodes but so far "The Walking Dead" is off to a great 4th season. After the disaster that was the second half of season 3, it's nice to see that the show is back to focusing on the zombies. Dumb writing still plagues this season and characters still act moronic, but it's still a highly enjoyable show. Action is gorier than ever and the new sickness sweeping through the prison, as well as other places, brings several big questions to the table that the show can tease us with. So The Walking Dead is still worth watching. I do have my complaints with it, like the idiotic writing and the shows apparent fear of adding any new characters that didn't com from the comics, but I'm really enjoying it. I'll update my review at a later time if I feel the show has either increased or decreased in quality. Expand
  3. Aug 27, 2014
    This season had so much promise and it delivered on most of them during the first half of season 4. It was action packed, violent, and the story was really good. The writing and directing were very well done, a new threat opposed them, and it was paced very well. I couldn't stand the two governor pov episodes. They were just okay and a complete waste of time. They built him as a good guyThis season had so much promise and it delivered on most of them during the first half of season 4. It was action packed, violent, and the story was really good. The writing and directing were very well done, a new threat opposed them, and it was paced very well. I couldn't stand the two governor pov episodes. They were just okay and a complete waste of time. They built him as a good guy even though we all knew he was evil. It's a waste because he shows his evil in the mid season finale. That episode was one of the episode of the show. It had all the action we have expected from TWD and it has two major deaths. The second half of the season was a disappointment. The idea that all of the separated sounds good on paper, not in real life though. Most of the season was a bore fest and the action wasn't good enough. I wish all the characters were with one another. It did have some bright points like the little girls with Carol. The season finale was good and it put some faith back into the show. Most of them are held captive by cannibals who presented themselves as a safe haven. It had a good conclusion though and I can't wait for season 5. Expand
  4. Mar 17, 2014
    I'm still getting use to season 4 . season 3 was has drama in to much i still could not stand it but this years walking dead is good . but i hope there's no drama in this season
    Grade for season 3 F
    Grade for season 4 B-
  5. Nov 19, 2013
    Moments of season 3 made me question whether this show still had the hook that sucked me in during its first two seasons. Fortunately, season 4 of The Walking Dead serves as evidence that this show has still got it.
  6. Nov 27, 2013
    I'm very much liking the shift of focus away from the prison and on to "Brian" aka "The Governor." The storyline focusing on Rick not knowing whether he should be the leader is getting stale, but the Governor brings so much heat to the series.
  7. Dec 30, 2013
    Essa nova temporada começou regular e foi evoluindo com os episódios seguintes, e mais personagens entra na trama e vemos a perda de um bom personagens que vai deixar saudades.
  8. Sep 23, 2014
    #KillKarl

Never have I longed to have a character killed off in a series. Karl is hateful; While he isn't the worst of society his character is infected with the worst on his way to tedium.
  9. Jul 25, 2015
    With solid writing, beautiful cinematography, and great acting all around, the fourth season of The Walking Dead further proves that the series is one of the greatest additions to the zombie genre.
  10. Apr 13, 2014
    The season starts with glimpses of life that has returned to the ordinary. Crops being grown, people socializing, councils being made. The sense of security that the prison has provided has helped flourish a kind of civilization, but also made them somewhat complacent. The fact that everyone comes back a walker no matter how they died has serious consequences for the group. This is notThe season starts with glimpses of life that has returned to the ordinary. Crops being grown, people socializing, councils being made. The sense of security that the prison has provided has helped flourish a kind of civilization, but also made them somewhat complacent. The fact that everyone comes back a walker no matter how they died has serious consequences for the group. This is not helped by the surge of a killer flu through the prison population.

The Governor returns but this time we are shown the more humane side of his albeit with surprisingly more violence and cruelty. Another group of survivors is introduced. Needless to say, we get to witness the Second Battle of Prison with more surprises and deaths. The mid season finale was by far my favourite episode of the entire show.

The characters splinter into couples and threesomes. A few of them die. Some of them unite to form bigger groups, some find new characters, others are left alone by themselves. I'm pleased that the characters didn't conveniently find each other by a miracle. Instead of being pitted against a main antagonist, an opportunity to develop and incorporate some of the sinister events was availed. We get to see Daryl and Michonne develop as bits of their pasts are revealed, making them more wholesome and interesting characters. Rick Grimes shows his savage side again when forced into a corner. I believe we've reached a point where the most dangerous and ruthless characters on the show are none other than the main characters themselves.
  11. Nov 19, 2014
    This season of the walking dead hasnt fired an writer or director, so i could understand everything, the story was a little bit better than the other seasons and its ending is really good.
  12. Mar 30, 2015
  13. Aug 19, 2014
  14. Dec 12, 2013
    The end of the first half of this season left me emotionally drained, and all the better for it. The season seemed oddly structured as it was progressing, but any show that can get me so engaged with fate of the characters gets my highest vote.
  15. Mar 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh, how have the mighty have fallen.

Okay, fans seem to be hugely dramatic about how their favourite show is a shell of its former self after Season 4. For me, the shift hasn't been nearly as dramatic as I implied above. Case to point: the original six episodes where almost universally considered great, and I definitely agree. The next Season pulled the intensity back a hell of a lot, and gave us little else besides character development that wasn't interesting 100% of the time. After a promising, start, Season 3 fell apart after its mid-Season.

Sound familiar? It should, sense this Season follows an awfully similar structure found in the last two Seasons. The result is a Season that is far from bad, but can simultaneously be passed off as barely good. This was an uneven outing, to say the least.

If you haven't bought into any of the characters by now, my god would this Season have been boring for you. After the mid Season finale, there's a whole lot of characters doing nothing. Even as someone who bought into the characters previously, I was surprised that the plodding pace caused me to even lose interest in the fan-favourite Glenn and Maggie pairing. This really proves that pacing can be a lot, and never since Season 2 has the show stumbled so spectacularly in this department.

And I mean yeah, the outbreak at the prison was initially interesting but look at it now. The best character driven plot DID come from this (Carol and Tyreese) but what was the point of all those other episodes? Really, it just seemed to happen to give Hershel one last good deed under his belt. Aren't there better ways to illustrate this rather than taking a huge stride only to back up again? For a show whose themes are all about the grim fact that we can't walk away from our previous actions, the writers sure seem to be lacking a sense of consequence.

If it weren't for three key episodes, this Season could be written off as even less of an achievement. When I say I show like The Wire rewards your patience, it's a compliment, given how complex and satisfying it is. The Walking Dead, meanwhile, often overestimates the power of their characters, and randomly throws in intense moments to put us on the edge of our seats. However, TWD has done this too many damn times for it to be effective any more. The main strength of the show is knowing that anyone could die at any time, yet it now feels superfluous when someone gets close to being bitten. It's never more frustrating to watch than it is in that zombie-Rick fake-out in "After". If you think that scene was heart-pounding, you haven't been watching either the show or TV in general for too long, or fail to analyse it with any sort of detail whatsoever. It's a cheap trick that happens in various degrees throughout the Season. The rest sometimes don't feel as vital as Rick, but it seems like The Walking Dead doesn't have the guts to show the main characters bite the dust.

After Hershel died in "Too Far Gone", the show felt like it took enough of a risk and oversold how sad the audience would be. Hershel was a nice dude but let's face it: did anybody riot over his death? But I have to give the show credit for raw violence of the scene. How many shows would dispatch one of their mainstays in such a brutal fashion? "Too Far Gone" also remains a highlight thanks to its balls-to-the-walls intensity that was sorely lacking after the huge event.

I also have to give credit to "The Grove" for being bold. It was a huge breath of fresh air, and it probably takes the cake for the best episode of the Season. I mean wow. Lizzie is crazy. And doesn't this give us major questions about the true nature of the walkers? Maybe they're more than mindless beings in human form. This episode also gave us progress on the Carol and Tyreese drama.

The final episode, "A", was an effective finale. It makes me hope for a big improvement in Season 5. "They're skrewing with the wrong people" reeks of cheese, but otherwise, the episode gave us closure on Rick's long journey. I'm not convinced we're done with him yet, but for the first time, he proves that he can be a leader and do what it takes to survive... even if that means biting out a dude's carotid artery.

Nevertheless, even my favourite episodes of the Season can be deconstructed critically (except "The Groove, in my opinion). Why did we wait until now for the governor's attack? Why have two pointless episodes building up to it? And how come such a depressing show opts to kill no one important in even the Season finale? The Walking Dead remains as one of those shows were every cent of production shows up on screen, but I'm not convinced the show will be able to survive on a long-term basis.

The writers want us to think if the characters can come back from what they've done in the past. Perhaps the better question is whether or not the writers can come back and save a show that seems destined for mediocrity.
  16. Nov 17, 2013
    The first half of this season has been very good. The flu outbreak story-arc is smart considering everyone has been so focused on the threats that walkers impose on the survivors but apparently had forgotten how humans are very vulnerable to many other things. I love the development of Carl character this season, though I'd love it to see more of Glenn & Maggie relationship being explored.The first half of this season has been very good. The flu outbreak story-arc is smart considering everyone has been so focused on the threats that walkers impose on the survivors but apparently had forgotten how humans are very vulnerable to many other things. I love the development of Carl character this season, though I'd love it to see more of Glenn & Maggie relationship being explored. It has so much potentials. Collapse
  17. Dec 3, 2013
    If you've not seen the half season finale, I will not spoil it by stating who lives or dies, but my biggest complaint is the inability of some to hit the broadside of a barn with heavy artilery, so to speak. And the amazing bullet stopping ability of certain office furniture (the magic file cabinet, table,etc.). Other than that, a fine resolution for the first half.
  18. Apr 15, 2014
    Al igual que la anterior temporada, tuvo una primera parte buena, pero en los capitulos donde se centra en el gobernador fueron muy mal desarrollados, sin embargo hubo capitulos en la segunda parte que me gustaron, el desarrollo de los personajes, la trama de la gripe, el episodio 8 y el 14 fueron brillantes. Una temporada que me gusto por igual que la tercera pero sin llegar al climax deAl igual que la anterior temporada, tuvo una primera parte buena, pero en los capitulos donde se centra en el gobernador fueron muy mal desarrollados, sin embargo hubo capitulos en la segunda parte que me gustaron, el desarrollo de los personajes, la trama de la gripe, el episodio 8 y el 14 fueron brillantes. Una temporada que me gusto por igual que la tercera pero sin llegar al climax de lo que fue la primera. Expand
  19. Apr 2, 2014
    At one point we see Rick teaching his son Carl about laying a trap for animals by funneling a path towards a hanging noose. It works as a parallel to how the group eventually end up at Terminus, where things get ugly quick.
    But blood was already drawn earlier, when Rick and Carl and Michonne were attacked by the group of marauders Darryl joined. Even though he vouches for them, he gets beaten by the hooligans and that's when Rick gets badass. Trapped in a bear-hug by the ringleader, Rick rips the guy's throat with his teeth, and also guts the guy who pinned down Carl. Michonne is quick to escape her attacker by bending his gun-drawn arm into his own neck and firing the pistol into his head.
    When everyone meets at Terminus (not through their own will though) we only get glimpses into what this fenced-in community can be. We get hints, though: a large grill features lots of meat, but no livestock can be found; a pile of human bones huddles in one corner; the group stumbles on a weird memorial room featuring names and presumably those people's favourite objects, with a wall painted with the words "Never trust, never again."
    Is Terminus a hub for cannibals trapping wayward strangers? Is it another Woodbury?
    The episode ends with Rick and the group (minus Beth) stuck in a storage container, imprisoned there by the Terminus leader Gareth. Rick's final words set in motion the character transformation we've seen in the past few episodes: “They’re screwing with the wrong people.”
    Remember when Rick shunned violence so he could plant veggies in the prison garden? Remember how he was weirded out seeing Carl wield a gun? That was season 3 Rick, Walking Dead fans. Now it's time for kick-ass-and-take-names Rick for season 5.
  20. Jun 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't know what to say really.
    Season 4 is such a mixed bag that I'm weighing whether to give up on the show or not.
    The best parts about this season have been the development of how brutal things have gotten, getting the build up to the season break with the Gov'ner(I know, but that's what I hear when anyone calls him that.) and the shocking end to that was great.
    As were the other characters slowly trying to find their way in the world after the break, but at times they just went too far. Seeing Michonne's development is a great thing and it's not a shock that she and Daryl are still fan favourites.
    But there were times when I truly thought that they'd gone too far. The Cannibals already feel like a tacked on idea that isn't needed. Having another character just up and disappear is another bad one.

I seriously don't know whether I'll be returning to the world of the walkers in season 5, because I don't think they'll take this anywhere that's good.
  21. Aug 6, 2015
    It feels like one step forwards, one step backwards. Season 4 falls short of the more impressive season 3. Season 4 could have been worse but I get the feeling that it could have been so much better. We still get the thrills we expect, but we are aware of shortcomings throughout. Unfortunately the second half of the season was woeful compared to the first. The way the episodes focused onIt feels like one step forwards, one step backwards. Season 4 falls short of the more impressive season 3. Season 4 could have been worse but I get the feeling that it could have been so much better. We still get the thrills we expect, but we are aware of shortcomings throughout. Unfortunately the second half of the season was woeful compared to the first. The way the episodes focused on two or three characters at a time was unacceptable for me. It again limited our intrigue in certain characters. This is a shame because the virus storyline as well as the conclusion to the war with Woodbury, had left me optimistic, but my optimism was misplaced. Season 4 is home to the series' best episode to date, but the season is like season 2 in that it is worryingly inconsistent. I hope for better in season 5. Expand
  22. Mar 16, 2014
    I've been enjoying TWD this season. The new showrunner has isolated the successful elements of the show: unconventional pairings of cast members, long doses of suspense interspersed with dynamic action, and aesthetically pleasing cinematography and locations. Without fail, every episode has been tense and high-energy (even the more intimate character studies), and there have been someI've been enjoying TWD this season. The new showrunner has isolated the successful elements of the show: unconventional pairings of cast members, long doses of suspense interspersed with dynamic action, and aesthetically pleasing cinematography and locations. Without fail, every episode has been tense and high-energy (even the more intimate character studies), and there have been some really excellent showcases of technical film-making.

The Governor's return is probably the lamest element, but even he has improved from his waffling nonsensical origins to at least become a credible villain. The season's second half splits the party, with small-scale stories for each apparently random grouping of survivors. It provides an opportunity to get to know the characters, and the cast have shined. The nonsensical choices they always seems to be making have been reigned in a little bit, and most of the really irritating characters are dead by now. Yes, there are multiple significant characters killed off this season, but their deaths are done dramatically well.

A few new cast have been introduced, presumably prefacing the upcoming spinoff series, but not much has happened with them. Only a few episodes remain at this point, but this season is well worth watching, and with the same showrunner being retained for next season (an achievement given the show's tumultuous leadership situation), there is every reason to keep following it or to get on board.
  23. Oct 17, 2013
    OK. I get why other people think this show is overrated. Those people are actually those who watch the show thinking about what other people think about the show and not about what the show offers. As someone who has seen this series and all its seasons, the attachment that I linked with the characters and their minds overwhelms the idea that a lot of people watch this because its appealOK. I get why other people think this show is overrated. Those people are actually those who watch the show thinking about what other people think about the show and not about what the show offers. As someone who has seen this series and all its seasons, the attachment that I linked with the characters and their minds overwhelms the idea that a lot of people watch this because its appeal to human emotions (fear, regret, rejection, redemption) is magnified. Expand
  24. Mar 30, 2014
    The storytelling was slower than it was last season, but in this case it's not a bad thing at all. The show is as intense as it has been since season one. This season wasn't perfect, but it did manage to stay interesting for 16 episodes. The acting was great as always and the writing has improved from last season. There were interesting new characters, as well as moments that kept youThe storytelling was slower than it was last season, but in this case it's not a bad thing at all. The show is as intense as it has been since season one. This season wasn't perfect, but it did manage to stay interesting for 16 episodes. The acting was great as always and the writing has improved from last season. There were interesting new characters, as well as moments that kept you on the edge of your seat. From beginning to end there was solid dialogue, great acting, cool zombie moments, complex moral situations, and nice little breather moments thrown in. Overall, it wasn't perfect, but it was still pretty good. Expand
  25. Nov 30, 2013
    Season 4 they really picked up the speed and more zombies and nice little steady plot holding everything together.Season 4 gives viewers none stop unpredictable action and give you a nightmares that you stuck in zombie apocalyptic era.
  26. Nov 5, 2013
    The first 4 episodes so far are very emotional and more gruesome and just very intense. I am now glued to these characters even more. Can't wait for these next 12 episodes to wrap up so i can give my full review of the season.
  27. Oct 15, 2016
    Season 4 of The Walking Dead. Takes place a few months I am assuming after season 3. They have much bigger problems to worry about in this season than just zombies or humans as a violent disease swipes through the group. Not only must they fight to survive from zombies and humans they must also battle their way through this disease. Another amazing season of this show and it just seems toSeason 4 of The Walking Dead. Takes place a few months I am assuming after season 3. They have much bigger problems to worry about in this season than just zombies or humans as a violent disease swipes through the group. Not only must they fight to survive from zombies and humans they must also battle their way through this disease. Another amazing season of this show and it just seems to keep getting better. Expand
  28. Feb 17, 2014
    This show has lost its mojo. I loved the first season so much, I started reading the comic book. Now I'm a huge fan of the comic book... meanwhile I watch the TV show flounder. They have a ton of good content to work with, but they fail to translate it on screen. I blame a lot of it on the writers and directors. The actors are good enough, with the except of the kid that plays Carl. TheyThis show has lost its mojo. I loved the first season so much, I started reading the comic book. Now I'm a huge fan of the comic book... meanwhile I watch the TV show flounder. They have a ton of good content to work with, but they fail to translate it on screen. I blame a lot of it on the writers and directors. The actors are good enough, with the except of the kid that plays Carl. They need to figure out an end game, which is difficult because I don't see one for the written material yet. I think I speak for all fellow fans of the comic book when I say, "Where's Negan?!" Expand
  29. Dec 4, 2013
    Cómo la web me pide un mínimo de 150 caracteres, y necesito hacer el review para poder tenerla archivada en mi perfil, pues suelto este rollo o o y mi votación es de 7. Un saludo.
  30. Feb 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Season 4 of the Walking Dead has been the most difficult season to get my head around so far; on first viewing of each episode there was a real sense that the safety of the prison meant that there was a lack of urgency and threat especially since the Governor was nowhere to be seen at first. As the epidemic story began it almost felt like a desperate attempt to introduce some sort of threat until the Governor returned for episode 6 where the story established in season 3 would finally come to ahead. After re-watching the season during the mid-season break, it surprised me that, with hindsight, actually there was a lot more to this season that met the eye. There was a lot more content there than I had originally seen, thematically it was coherent, relevant throughout and also a natural follow on from the previous seasons key theme. I also found myself being drawn to characters that I hadn't originally considered such as Bob, Tyreese and Michonne. The mid-season finale 'Too Far Gone' is truly the epic battle I was hoping for and the excellent David Morrissey and Scott Wilson get the exits they both deserve. On repeat, I've found that season 4 has gone higher up in my estimations and I've been impressed with both 'After' and 'Inmates' so far leaving me with hope that unlike season 3, season 4 won't lose momentum and just keep going. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Jan 3, 2014
    The Walking Dead might have been one of [the ambitious modern horror series], using a grotesque story to go deep, letting grief and repulsion rile and unsettle us. Instead, it stumbles forward, disguised as prestige TV but devoid of a soul.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Oct 14, 2013
    If the first two episodes are any indication, not only is the series not missing a beat, it's actually growing into itself to allow new storytelling possibilitie
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Hale
    Oct 11, 2013
    The challenge with any extended zombie narrative is striking the right balance between gut-munching action and undergraduate philosophy seminar, and the first two episodes this season are pretty talky.