The Walking Dead : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
8.2

Universal acclaim- based on 2039 Ratings

1. Nov 15, 2011
    One of the best series from AMC. They did well with Mad Men, even better with Breaking Bad, and now completely outdone themselves with The Walking Dead. A perfect opening season for an amazing zombie show. The zombies on the show have to got to be the best I've seen in a while.
  2. Apr 28, 2012
    I absolutely love this series. The story is amazing, the characters are amazing, and the special effects are pretty good. My only problem is that the second season get a little slow at times.
  3. Dec 4, 2011
    started out really promising for first few episodes, but bad choice of main character, and the timing is all out of sync, it seems too fast as portrayed, but the story drags its heels, and the characters all have way too much to say about nothing to feel realistic in that sortof situation.
  4. Jan 11, 2012
    Everything just feels vanilla. It's watchable show but I've two major problems with it. One is the writing isn't good enough to tell the kind of story they are trying to tell. In so much that they are trying to tell a story about the psychological effects of the zombies on the survivors, as much as are just doing an all out zombie fest, and it doesn't work because they are going for theEverything just feels vanilla. It's watchable show but I've two major problems with it. One is the writing isn't good enough to tell the kind of story they are trying to tell. In so much that they are trying to tell a story about the psychological effects of the zombies on the survivors, as much as are just doing an all out zombie fest, and it doesn't work because they are going for the best of both worlds. The acting isn't good enough to support the former either, with the acception of Andrew Lincoln. On that note watching Sarah Wayne Callies three eye-face expressions is painful.

The second major problem I have with this season of the show is that it's not scary. At all.

Like I said though, it's watchable in a 'sit round having a few beers with friends' way I guess.
  5. Feb 10, 2012
    It amazes me that american t.v. continues to create weak and over dramatised rubbish that idiots rate as positive. This show promises so much but delivers a lot of disappointment. The characters are so annoying that the show leaves you wanting them to be eaten just to save the world before they breed. Love the zombies, but hate the imbeciles this series is based around. Producers of t.v.It amazes me that american t.v. continues to create weak and over dramatised rubbish that idiots rate as positive. This show promises so much but delivers a lot of disappointment. The characters are so annoying that the show leaves you wanting them to be eaten just to save the world before they breed. Love the zombies, but hate the imbeciles this series is based around. Producers of t.v. need better writers. Expand
  6. Feb 22, 2012
    what a great show! I have just caught up with the 2nd season now and it is probably better than the 1st already! why I only give it a 9 though is because the first season was maybe too short and also I didn't enjoy the last episode at all..so that's a 9 for season 1 and a 10 for season 2 so far!
  7. Mar 8, 2012
    After an overall solid first series yet a slow start to series 2, thw walking dead has finally reclaimed itself in my top 5 series of current times. Tension has been built up, the group is falling apart, things are getting epic again and i can't wait for the next 2 episodes.
  8. Mar 17, 2012
    This was a zombie masterpiece. It trumps most zombie movies out there and here it's just a TV show. Season 1 of The Walking Dead is something that's tough to beat. There's a good level of violence and character development here and that's just what you want on a show based on zombies.
  9. Oct 31, 2013
    It's plain and simple. Very boring. Some horrible acting and terrible subplots really hurt the show. It's also nothing like the comic, which are honestly far superior. It gets 3 points for having good special effects.
  10. Oct 7, 2013
    The Walking Dead is overall a very good show (season 1,2,3) but the first ever season is by far the best and if the writers (who replaced the old ones) were able to improve on it I truly believe it could have been one of the greatest shows ever. Other than Ozymandias (Breaking Bad), the first episode of season 1 is probably the best episode of television I have ever watched.

As for

As for Season 1 in general, it was absolutely fantastic. It got me shouting at the TV with the jumps, the crazy moments and the sad moments. The characters were great, the story line was believable and the direction the show was heading could have ended up being up there with Breaking Bad and Game Of Thrones.

But with the writers being fired for Season 2 on wards, there is a noticeable difference between S1 and S2/S3. It has become so average, the story seems to be going no where which is disappointing. But dont get me wrong, The Walking Dead is one of my favorite shows, but I can't help but think it could have been an all time great if it built up from the brilliant season 1.

The Walking Dead Season 1: 10/10
  11. Jul 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. AMAZING! Everything I would expect but more! The suspense through the first season was awesome and the writers painted an amazing picture of the zombie apocalypse and how bad things were. Every character has it's own personality which makes you wonder as the show goes on how they will clash with other members of there camp. Every character can be related to in some aspect which makes it that more exciting to watch cause you think you know what the survivors will do next. The story always leads to new hope and also leads to great losses as well. Expand
  12. Sep 1, 2012
    I didn't thought this series was that good. I watched it and I enjoyed it - that's the main part. And then I found out why it was this good. It's based on a comic book. It's pretty darn good. I love the characters, though I had some trouble with Rick's wife and Shane. This series is definitely in the current top 10.
  13. Oct 27, 2012
    First season was superb compared to season two. There was little too much drama going on and the story proceeded very slowly. I recommend reading the comic books which are far more better then the TV show.
  14. Nov 7, 2012
    La mejor serie que he visto en mucho tiempo, fiel a los comics en muchos casos, escrita totalmente por Robert Kirkman, con drama, muertes que lo hacen una serie inesperada, inclusion de nuevos personajes como Daryl, una trama que se pueded seguir facilmente en ciertos puntos, una obra maestra.
  15. Jul 14, 2013
    This is quite frankly the magnum opus of the zombie genre. If you're looking for thrills and spectacular special effects, this show is for you. The makeup work is entirely without flaw, if zombies were real, this show portrays exactly what they'd look like, no hokiness to be had here. However, the story and drama has become merely average compared to the first season.
  16. Jan 13, 2013
    Absolutely breath-taking. I have only been watching the show since the end of season two, and I got addicted to watching it. The realism of it needs to go up a little bit, the actors are not too good. I just didn't see any improvement in their acting, especially when tears are shed. That is something that definitely needs put into work for the next season. This is my favorite show on AMC,Absolutely breath-taking. I have only been watching the show since the end of season two, and I got addicted to watching it. The realism of it needs to go up a little bit, the actors are not too good. I just didn't see any improvement in their acting, especially when tears are shed. That is something that definitely needs put into work for the next season. This is my favorite show on AMC, and probably my fifth favorite show all together. I highly recommend watching it if you're into dramas and science-fiction. Especially if you love hearing about zombies as a topic (no pun intended). Highly recommended. Expand
  17. Feb 21, 2013
    The series had a good start, it was looking promising, but got lost along the way. The HQ is extremely good, it really catches your attention, but the TV series lack all the drama, the horror and the intelligence the comic books have. It really isn't worth it.
  18. Mar 25, 2013
    In AMC's "The Walking Dead", you see some of the most developing and complex characters in television history. Based mainly on the comicbooks with some twists of its own the serie drags you into its world and makes you feel how these people have to survive. When the action is there, it's fresh and yet heart-pounding, and when it's not it will keep you glued to your screen because of theIn AMC's "The Walking Dead", you see some of the most developing and complex characters in television history. Based mainly on the comicbooks with some twists of its own the serie drags you into its world and makes you feel how these people have to survive. When the action is there, it's fresh and yet heart-pounding, and when it's not it will keep you glued to your screen because of the interresting dialog and stunning acting performances, especially from Norman reedus as Daryl Dixon a fan favorite. Expand
  19. Mar 13, 2013
    I find myself willing over and over for the series to improve, but it always manages to disappoint. The pilot promises just enough to make me watch another couple of episodes, for a couple of terrific spectacle sequences in downtown Atlanta give the series an epic sense of scale. Masterful cinematography, cg, makeup, and choreography aside, however, Walking Dead is lackluster. The plot isI find myself willing over and over for the series to improve, but it always manages to disappoint. The pilot promises just enough to make me watch another couple of episodes, for a couple of terrific spectacle sequences in downtown Atlanta give the series an epic sense of scale. Masterful cinematography, cg, makeup, and choreography aside, however, Walking Dead is lackluster. The plot is contrived, characters often behave with complete disregard for common sense, the writing is poor, and every single female character is frustratingly weak and useless. I find myself wishing the protagonist would die- perhaps that way some genuinely captivating grit could find its way into a series that despite its physical blood and gore, is just a little bit too morally and interpersonally clean and pretty to take any real satisfying risks. Expand
  20. Mar 24, 2013
    Season one is great. Season two and three turns the show in to a mostly boring soap opera mostly restricted to a few sets that for some reason are immune to the hordes of zombies we're told to expect in the first season. Shallowly drawn characters who act in completely contradictory ways provide the viewer no characters with which they can sympathize, as they repeatedly discuss their priorSeason one is great. Season two and three turns the show in to a mostly boring soap opera mostly restricted to a few sets that for some reason are immune to the hordes of zombies we're told to expect in the first season. Shallowly drawn characters who act in completely contradictory ways provide the viewer no characters with which they can sympathize, as they repeatedly discuss their prior and future actions over and over again ad nauseam.

The tension of being on the run that was established in season one is nowhere to be seen, as zombie attacks are easily fended off in the same way over and over again. Characters act in ways that make little to no logical sense, such as wandering around in the open after one of their number is sniped by an opposing group.

Michael Rooker is one of the only saving graces of the show in terms of acting, and is reappearance is a welcome one. Unfortunately, his scenes just highlight the lack of skills of most of the other actors.

To me, it's a big disappointment after season one. As a huge fan of the b-movie, grind-house zombie apocalypse genre, I think the show misses it entirely in season two and three.
  21. Apr 17, 2013
    Pretty good. I personally think it's a bit overhyped. But it's still good. One thing I will say though is how BS some of the action sequences are. There needs to be more attention to detail. When the actor's are shooting .44s AKs and 12 gauges there is no recoil. Just a flash and a body falls down in the distance.. Really? Most of the actors do their part pretty well. But you never reallyPretty good. I personally think it's a bit overhyped. But it's still good. One thing I will say though is how BS some of the action sequences are. There needs to be more attention to detail. When the actor's are shooting .44s AKs and 12 gauges there is no recoil. Just a flash and a body falls down in the distance.. Really? Most of the actors do their part pretty well. But you never really care about any of them. Sure you don't like that they die but you really don't care honestly. The last thing I'll say about it is how FREAKING TERRIBLE the character Rick Grimes is. The actor tries WAYYYYYYYYY too hard to be dramatic in every way possible to EVERYTHING. Way too over-dramatic. I swear to god the next time I hear "LUUUUUUUUOOOOOOORRAAAAAAY!!!!!!" with him lisping and drooling from the mouth trying to be dramatic I'm going to tear my ears off my head. And the way he acts Mr. Tuff "I'm the leader and I'm going to broaden my shoulders and act like I know what I'm doing".. That's Rick Grimes in a nutshell. And he's going to annoy the hell outta especially since he's the main character. Expand
  22. Apr 4, 2013
    Season 1 of The Walking Dead is truly amazing for those who like the constant tension and anxiety of survival. The wake of the apocalyptic event truly entails a scenery that is both nostalgic and frightening. The pacing of the storyline, the character backgrounds and their emotional roller coasters are well-balanced leaving you wanting more. So don't be surprised when you catch yourselfSeason 1 of The Walking Dead is truly amazing for those who like the constant tension and anxiety of survival. The wake of the apocalyptic event truly entails a scenery that is both nostalgic and frightening. The pacing of the storyline, the character backgrounds and their emotional roller coasters are well-balanced leaving you wanting more. So don't be surprised when you catch yourself watching episode after episode. Expand
  23. May 14, 2013
    Really good stuff.
    The screenwriters of the walking dead did an fantastic job.They focus on the apocalyptic world and the live in it.The zombies are not the main feature but the give the series a little spice which makes it so enjoyable to watch.Good Work .
    Carry on.
  24. Oct 11, 2013
    One of the most remarkable dramas on TV. Stunning, scary, disgusting, dramatic, suspenseful.........pure entertainment!!!! Don't miss it!!! Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus are the best in my opinion.
  25. Aug 24, 2013
    zOMG Walking Bad is a epic RAWR! zombiez and de bacon and like epic zombie bacons are like SO epic. This epic show is like SO epically in tune with my young generation's epic aesthetic legacy right meow meng. I feel so in tune with my generation because I watch this show about zombies right meow. Epic zomby apocolips is like so comin dudes. If you don't like Walking Bad than you arezOMG Walking Bad is a epic RAWR! zombiez and de bacon and like epic zombie bacons are like SO epic. This epic show is like SO epically in tune with my young generation's epic aesthetic legacy right meow meng. I feel so in tune with my generation because I watch this show about zombies right meow. Epic zomby apocolips is like so comin dudes. If you don't like Walking Bad than you are incompetent. If you don't think this is the best tv show of the decade you don't understand the magnitude of important uniquely intellectual epic zombiez symbolizm right meow. You will be proven wrong as time passes and people look back on this as profoundly prophetically epic and edgy. Watching Walking Bad and enjoying it is tantamount to moral and intellectual truth. Walking Bad is pure swag so don't be critical of it in any way or you will be considered an uncultured idiot. I want to watch it again right meow YOLO K thx bai Expand
  26. Aug 13, 2013
    This show is masterpiece. Every time I watch one episode, I want to go to the next episode. You get emotionally attached to the characters, and they kill them off, that makes you unpredictable of what is going to happen next
  27. Sep 26, 2013
    This show is awesome. But there are some parts where you question if this was the right way to go in terms of story and survival team co-existence and overall feeling. Nevertheless this show is worth your free time if you are into the whole zombie apocalypse theme and setting.
  28. Oct 15, 2013
    simply the best drama Tv series of all time. there ain't nothing like this show anywhere. anyone who thinks this is bad is a F...
    i HAVEN'T seen a zombie genre show like this. really effects on me.
  29. Oct 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The walking dead is an amazing series it has great characters it's scary and emotional It's an action packed tv series It's very gory I recomend it You should watch it Expand
  30. Oct 23, 2013
    The acting, dialogue, and depth of characters in this show are the reason I come back. I am, admittedly, a zombie fanatic, but the zombies are merely plot in this show, which is a nice change from typical zombie fare where the zombies almost seem to be the main characters.

There have been some plot choices that I didn't like, and then some that were just bad. I give this show a 10, and I won't do that for any other show I've ever seen. The difference between the 9 that I'll give and the 10, reserved exclusively for TWD, is the fact that this show haunts me all week until the new episode comes out. I have no idea what's going to happen and I love it when a show can surprise me. It's rare. I guess, I analyze, I debate and discuss this with my friends who like it. I have never been taken with a show like I am with this one.

Another reason is that TWD has raised my standards such that shows I might have liked a few years ago don't interest me now because they can't compete. I give shows 5 episodes to hook me, but the number of shows that have survived that trial in the last two years is really small. I blame The Walking Dead.
  31. Nov 24, 2013
    The Walking Dead is a great show and an even better graphic novel. The first and second seasons of the show are by far the best. The current (fourth) season of the show leaves me feeling like I am always being hung over a cliff waiting for the next big thing to happen, but it just never comes. I really hope that the show continues to progress through the story and doesn't flicker out inThe Walking Dead is a great show and an even better graphic novel. The first and second seasons of the show are by far the best. The current (fourth) season of the show leaves me feeling like I am always being hung over a cliff waiting for the next big thing to happen, but it just never comes. I really hope that the show continues to progress through the story and doesn't flicker out in the fifth season, but judging by how the story is progressing now, that just may be the case. That being said: This is one of the best television series that I have ever watched and like I said earlier, an even better graphic novel (hint hint pick them up) Expand
  32. Dec 5, 2013
    Not as much of a let-down as a show like Dexter sinceThe Walking Dead is more of a steady uniform malaise that has no heights to fall from. It's a sugary rush that leaves you empty though you'll probably notice a lingering dissatisfaction from watching the series long after you're done. There are no real characters, no cohesive viewpoints, no real theme–all empty calories. If you're inNot as much of a let-down as a show like Dexter sinceThe Walking Dead is more of a steady uniform malaise that has no heights to fall from. It's a sugary rush that leaves you empty though you'll probably notice a lingering dissatisfaction from watching the series long after you're done. There are no real characters, no cohesive viewpoints, no real theme–all empty calories. If you're in for great special effects and cheap thrills and don't want to wrestle with big ideas or emotional weight stemming from what great characters and great writing in a series can bring you, then you will be rewarded by watching this series. Expand
  33. Dec 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was a reader of the comics and fell in love with the atmosphere of them, the changing environment and the unforeseeable events. When I first saw the show, I fell in love. Season 1 and 2 brought a lot to the table. During Season 3, it started going down-hill.

The story was at first very exciting, because there was only a limited amount of characters and if they died, it'd leave the group struggling.

During the end of Season 3, when a bus full of survivors show up, it's like the writers are saying, "Hey, look at all these useless characters we can kill off!"

Season 1 was brilliant writing and then it turned into lazy writing.

Overall, a good television show with great potential remaining.
  34. Dec 27, 2013
    This show is great. Every episode is packed with action and thrills, leaving you at the edge of your seat the entire time. Andrew Lincoln's performance is superb and each new episode makes you jittery for the rest of the week wanting more. From slashing a walker's head with a katana to killing your infected family member this show really provides that action and suspense you really wantThis show is great. Every episode is packed with action and thrills, leaving you at the edge of your seat the entire time. Andrew Lincoln's performance is superb and each new episode makes you jittery for the rest of the week wanting more. From slashing a walker's head with a katana to killing your infected family member this show really provides that action and suspense you really want from a show. 10/10 no doubt. Expand
  35. Apr 2, 2014
    This is the show I wanted so bad to love. I watched the entire first season waiting for things to get interesting. Then I was told that it gets better and to keep watching. So I watched Season 2. Now I'm being told Season 3 is "even better!" No thanks. The acting is terrible, the writing wooden, and the plot bumbles from one big reveal to another, each trying harder than the last to shockThis is the show I wanted so bad to love. I watched the entire first season waiting for things to get interesting. Then I was told that it gets better and to keep watching. So I watched Season 2. Now I'm being told Season 3 is "even better!" No thanks. The acting is terrible, the writing wooden, and the plot bumbles from one big reveal to another, each trying harder than the last to shock me into caring. But I don't.

If you're looking for shocking moments that actually matter, try Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad. If you want horror, try Hannibal or early seasons of Supernatural. If you want zombies, just watch Night of the Living Dead or Dawn of the Dead. Don't want this.
  36. Jun 21, 2014
    My initial reaction to The Walking Dead left me feeling rather ill and sick, but after re-watching it, i discovered that the show about zombies, isn't just about zombies. We watch people break away into insanity and we watch people who get mauled and dismembered by zombies. The thing I love about this show are the relationships you develop with the characters, which makes it even worseMy initial reaction to The Walking Dead left me feeling rather ill and sick, but after re-watching it, i discovered that the show about zombies, isn't just about zombies. We watch people break away into insanity and we watch people who get mauled and dismembered by zombies. The thing I love about this show are the relationships you develop with the characters, which makes it even worse when you see them devoured... A solid 10 out of 10. Expand
  37. Jul 27, 2014
    great. another generic vampire show. havent seen this before. all it is are some british actors who fake accents. why? just go with the flow. and there are only six episodes in this season. id rather just watch season one of breaking bad. and why do they call them walkers? they can stand still why not call them stillers? or why not call them draculas? that would make more sense. what isgreat. another generic vampire show. havent seen this before. all it is are some british actors who fake accents. why? just go with the flow. and there are only six episodes in this season. id rather just watch season one of breaking bad. and why do they call them walkers? they can stand still why not call them stillers? or why not call them draculas? that would make more sense. what is this based off of a book or something? and who is this terrel dickson guy? just cause he carries a bow and arrow doesnt make him cool. he is a complete copy of katniss everdeen. im gonna go watch something actually decent by robert kirkman: prometheus. bye Expand
  38. Jul 31, 2014
    This series was holding my attention for a couple seasons. The make-up was great, the action and suspense was there, and it was superbly acted. But then it seemed to get monotonous and repetitive. Then when I decided to start poking holes in it I realized the writers were just not that good. Perhaps it is because they were pigeon holed by the graphic novel (comic book). I don't know.This series was holding my attention for a couple seasons. The make-up was great, the action and suspense was there, and it was superbly acted. But then it seemed to get monotonous and repetitive. Then when I decided to start poking holes in it I realized the writers were just not that good. Perhaps it is because they were pigeon holed by the graphic novel (comic book). I don't know. But when you look at the technical aspects, such as their methods, something may dawn on you. They're not giving Americans or humans anything like credit for their intelligence and ingenuity. The characters make dumb, tactical mistakes on a constant basis. I can name a hundred dumb things- They were sitting outside at the farm with the lights on, at night, with not even bothering to board up the windows or re-enforce the doors. And in Season 1, they were sleeping outside in tents nearly with-in site of Atlanta. Their choice of a minimum security prison as a haven. Which is designed to keep people in, not out. Their inability to keep up the fence-why not park cars along the inside? Plenty of vehicles were available. Where they kept going inside the prison to be trapped by zombies. Why not rattle the doors and wait until they come out into the light? My final statement on this is that no zombie apocalypse survivors could possibly be as incredibly stupid as the characters in this show. Chimpanzees wouldn't be so stupid. Expand
  39. Oct 1, 2014
    Everything about this show is consuming. The simplicity of it mixed with fast paced action and adventure will have you cringing and on the edge of your seat.

I absolutely love anything and everything Zombie related. I'm one of those.

In my opinion anyone remotely interested in the zombie genre will find this franchise well worth their time.
  40. Aug 23, 2014
    Great show. Too bad I'm rather too bored of watching it. Let's start with the characters first, shall we?
    The characters are like in the comics but with some additions and some removals in the overhaul. The acting is O.K (voice acting too) and the costumes. Great, great, great. Action, drama and a lot more will await you on this series. Might be the best Zombie Series I ever watched.
  41. Dec 7, 2014
    The 5th season was pretty promising at the beginning but after first three episodes it slows down horribly and gets SOOO UNBEARABLY BOOORING. It seems like even a pretty big group of ZEDS isn't a threat anymore. It's like few knife thrusts and the whole group of zombies is mopped up with no harm, and then half hour of talking starts... and WHY (OH WHY?) did you make me watch Glenn wentThe 5th season was pretty promising at the beginning but after first three episodes it slows down horribly and gets SOOO UNBEARABLY BOOORING. It seems like even a pretty big group of ZEDS isn't a threat anymore. It's like few knife thrusts and the whole group of zombies is mopped up with no harm, and then half hour of talking starts... and WHY (OH WHY?) did you make me watch Glenn went fishing? OK, I know, folks gotta eat, but you guys do not need to show me them fishing, I don't care, I wanna watch them finishing ZEDS off! Please do not test my patience too much AMC, cause I'm a BIG FAN of TWD, but I don't know how long I will bear it if this won't change. And sorry for my English, I'm a stranger. Expand
  42. Oct 31, 2010
    This is an excellent new and refreshing take on the zombie genre. Rather than trying to scare the audience it attempts to have the audience connect with the characters and the story and it succeeds. There has been a lack of good zombie movies and an increase trend in making zombie comedies lately; but The Walking Dead emphasizes character development and suspense rather than action andThis is an excellent new and refreshing take on the zombie genre. Rather than trying to scare the audience it attempts to have the audience connect with the characters and the story and it succeeds. There has been a lack of good zombie movies and an increase trend in making zombie comedies lately; but The Walking Dead emphasizes character development and suspense rather than action and laughs (although a bit of both can be found). Although amc is extremely **** about the quality of their shows, they have good reason to be. Expand
  43. BMF
    Nov 15, 2010
    Holy **** this shows great its the only show I actually plan to watch every week I hope it doesnt get cancelled prematurely like other excellent series.
  44. Nov 1, 2010
    A drama series based on the zombie apocalypse sound entertaining, but the dialog in 'The Walking Dead' just seems like it was written by amateurs (I caught myself rolling my eyes a lot) and the incredibly slow pace makes 90 minutes feel like forever. The direction, make-up, design, etc are all pretty good... it's the dialog, or maybe the execution of the dialog that drags this show down.A drama series based on the zombie apocalypse sound entertaining, but the dialog in 'The Walking Dead' just seems like it was written by amateurs (I caught myself rolling my eyes a lot) and the incredibly slow pace makes 90 minutes feel like forever. The direction, make-up, design, etc are all pretty good... it's the dialog, or maybe the execution of the dialog that drags this show down. I watched Episode 1 twice (on Halloween, for maximized affect) to see if maybe I was missing something, but the second go-around was more boring than the first. It's worth watching if you like zombies and there's nothing else on, but it definitely won't be on my DVR. Expand
  45. Nov 1, 2010
    Absolute solid 10! If I could give it an 11 I would. This was top flight all the way, everything a zombie story should be. The effects are totally movie quality. The characters are interesting and I cared deeply for them. The sense of foreboding, the sudden fierce action sequences, EVERYTHING about this screamed "we loved making this", and it showed. GREAT first episode, if the rest of theAbsolute solid 10! If I could give it an 11 I would. This was top flight all the way, everything a zombie story should be. The effects are totally movie quality. The characters are interesting and I cared deeply for them. The sense of foreboding, the sudden fierce action sequences, EVERYTHING about this screamed "we loved making this", and it showed. GREAT first episode, if the rest of the series is this good I will be in heaven. Makes me want to dig up my old comics and reread these. if you haven't read the comics this was based on, you are missing out. Expand
  46. Nov 1, 2010
    I come home from on Halloween night and like it was destiny I turn on the tv to find The Walking Dead just starting. From that point on I couldn't take my eyes off the tv for the next hour and a half. It was amazing! It had it all. Blood, drama, horror, and great acting from all parts. The best part it had a cliffhanger at the end. I'm so watching every episode from this point on! YouI come home from on Halloween night and like it was destiny I turn on the tv to find The Walking Dead just starting. From that point on I couldn't take my eyes off the tv for the next hour and a half. It was amazing! It had it all. Blood, drama, horror, and great acting from all parts. The best part it had a cliffhanger at the end. I'm so watching every episode from this point on! You should certainly watch this show. Expand
  47. Nov 19, 2010
    All I can say is, Awesome show! Even though you can be assured the main character Rick, will probably survive, the show still puts him in situations of unbelievable doubt. This show is gritty, intense and perfectly paced. AMC is a hit pusher, with shows like "Mad Men", "Rubicon", "Breaking Bad" and now you can add, "The Walking Dead" to that list. Tell your wife and girlfriend to watch itAll I can say is, Awesome show! Even though you can be assured the main character Rick, will probably survive, the show still puts him in situations of unbelievable doubt. This show is gritty, intense and perfectly paced. AMC is a hit pusher, with shows like "Mad Men", "Rubicon", "Breaking Bad" and now you can add, "The Walking Dead" to that list. Tell your wife and girlfriend to watch it too. They might enjoy it. Expand
  48. Nov 1, 2010
    Being a true horror fan, I have to say it's a nicely done show, given a basic cable series's budget. It has a good undead plot, with just enough drama, blood and gore to keep any horror fan pleased to come back for more. Yes, a true horror fan will be able to pretty much read most, but not all, of what is coming. I did like that very human element of what would you do if this were reallyBeing a true horror fan, I have to say it's a nicely done show, given a basic cable series's budget. It has a good undead plot, with just enough drama, blood and gore to keep any horror fan pleased to come back for more. Yes, a true horror fan will be able to pretty much read most, but not all, of what is coming. I did like that very human element of what would you do if this were really happening? Could you trust everyone left? Would you feel pity &/or anger towards "the (un)dead?" I also liked the fact that it's not all just an "easy" shoot 'em up, giving the series an additional dramatic dimension. Add in some good graphics and cinematography to make it "look" believable, and voila! It seems as if this will be a continued good series that makes me salivate for watching/recording some basic cable. I'll definitely be watching it over the next 5 episodes, just to see what does truly unfold. Expand
  49. Nov 1, 2010
    Engrossing, paced and familiar - that last one being both good and bad, as the premiere episode shows us it is both faithful to Kirkman's graphic novels, but also stacked with hokeyness and cliches in areas it wouldn't need to be with a longer first season (only 6 episodes, it has to shuffle at a crisp pace even while taking it slower and fleshier than most cinematic outings). Darabont'sEngrossing, paced and familiar - that last one being both good and bad, as the premiere episode shows us it is both faithful to Kirkman's graphic novels, but also stacked with hokeyness and cliches in areas it wouldn't need to be with a longer first season (only 6 episodes, it has to shuffle at a crisp pace even while taking it slower and fleshier than most cinematic outings). Darabont's influence is felt in the somewhat schlocky origin story arc and his trademark weakness for one-dimensional characterizations and shock kills - most notably in the gratuitous first scene - but this will hopefully ease up or disappear completely by season's end. At its worst it's a smartly adapted and compelling series that will let the zombie grow in ways it has and can not in film, tragically brief, and well worth! Expand
  50. Nov 1, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I know there is only a handful of you, but you people with poor reviews just amaze me! This was a TV show about Zombies!!! Not Shakespeare or a crappy Transformers movie with non stop stupid action!! If you don't like this show, you will never like anything! This was an absolute joy to watch! I know it was only one episode, but I loved the fact that they DID build on characters and they DID make you care for them. I didn't want the dad and son to be left behind! It did make you think as to what YOU would do if you were in the same situation of blowing your own wife's head (even though she is a zombie). I really don't know if I could! The few times they did pull at the heart strings, it did work!! Even the horse part made me upset! I have never written a review for a T.V. show before. But this one was so good that I had to say something. If you like Zombie movies, give this one a try. You will not be disappointed. Expand
  51. Oct 31, 2010
    Better than any zombie movie I've ever seen. The performances, the effects, everything about the first episode is sheer brilliance. I, personally, can't wait to watch the rest of this amazing series.
  52. Oct 31, 2010
    Great episode. If the show continues to be anything like it was tonight this will be one of the greatest adaptations ever! Also liked how AMC came out and proved that they aren't going to hold back on the show.
  53. Oct 31, 2010
    The perfect way to spend a Halloween is to sit down and watch a horror show. This show is well paced, well designed master-piece of a show that is thrilling and touching at the same time. The zombies walk with realizm and combines the horror of the fast and intelligent zombies of "Dawn of the Dead" with the slow yet terrifying ones of "Night of the Living Dead". They didn't hold back withThe perfect way to spend a Halloween is to sit down and watch a horror show. This show is well paced, well designed master-piece of a show that is thrilling and touching at the same time. The zombies walk with realizm and combines the horror of the fast and intelligent zombies of "Dawn of the Dead" with the slow yet terrifying ones of "Night of the Living Dead". They didn't hold back with the gore, showing the gruesome splash of blood for a gunshot wound, which some shows are editing so they appeal to larger audience, but lessens the feeling of connection with the bullet. I recommend this to those who love a story driven horror adventure, and to those who aren't faint of heart. Expand
  54. Oct 31, 2010
    The contrasts of the show's visuals of death with the fantastic scenes of humanity give this weekly zombie flick a surprising effect. They take this show seriously, and so should you. Even if you've seen a thousand zombie movies before, don't pass this one up. Fantastic performances, cinamatic feel, beautifully constructed tension makes the viewer crave another episode as bad as aThe contrasts of the show's visuals of death with the fantastic scenes of humanity give this weekly zombie flick a surprising effect. They take this show seriously, and so should you. Even if you've seen a thousand zombie movies before, don't pass this one up. Fantastic performances, cinamatic feel, beautifully constructed tension makes the viewer crave another episode as bad as a zombie craving brains. Expand
  55. Oct 31, 2010
    I wouldn't go as far as pulling the trigger on giving The Walking Dead a perfect 10/10 to the head so soon after it's risen, but it's shaping up to be a hit. AMC airing the Dawn of the Dead remake right before The Walking Dead really put both in perspective. While Dawn of the Dead is an action-packed but no-brainer gorefest, The Walking Dead is convincing and unsettling in its approach.I wouldn't go as far as pulling the trigger on giving The Walking Dead a perfect 10/10 to the head so soon after it's risen, but it's shaping up to be a hit. AMC airing the Dawn of the Dead remake right before The Walking Dead really put both in perspective. While Dawn of the Dead is an action-packed but no-brainer gorefest, The Walking Dead is convincing and unsettling in its approach. When Rick Grimes saw the "bicycle girl" zombie, I felt his terror. It didn't look like masterful special effects, it looked like a person who had been brutalized, come back to un-life, rotted, and dried out crawling around in the sun. Rick is human, not a juggernaut of a protagonist. I don't know if Rick will ever truly feel safe but as long as Rick doesn't feel safe, I won't feel safe, and as long as everybody feels unsafe and The Waking Dead remains goal-oriented, the series won't just "shamble along." Expand
  56. Nov 24, 2010
    The budget is evident. The sets and the effects are fantastic, and some of the empty city scenes are impressive. But there is a but. The acting is a bit 'daytime TV', and none of the characters develops enough for us to truly connect with them. I would have prefered less characters and more moments of silent reflection on the emptiness and violence of the place. I also agree with someThe budget is evident. The sets and the effects are fantastic, and some of the empty city scenes are impressive. But there is a but. The acting is a bit 'daytime TV', and none of the characters develops enough for us to truly connect with them. I would have prefered less characters and more moments of silent reflection on the emptiness and violence of the place. I also agree with some comments here, the series will now be about moving from set piece (the tank, the roof, the woods) to set piece. I imagine the formula will follow something along the lines of:

1.This place looks safe
    2. There are more zombies here than we thought
    3. Now we are trapped.
    4. We lose one or two people (minorities likely)
    5. We make it out and move on.
    6. This place looks safe.

But it is still a really good watch. Violent and fast and everything a zombie show should be.
  57. Nov 1, 2010
    Being an avid comic book reader, this is one of the best comics to date. I was a little leery on how the TV adaptation would do, and if they would keep with the story line of the comic. After watching the first episode I am amazed at how accurate the show is. It was shot almost scene for scene off of the comic and keeps really true to the events and personality of each character.

Also,

Also, the show adds to the comic rather than just playing off of the comic. The emotion behind each choice for Rick Grimes is exaggerated in his expressions, the fear and hardship endured by everyone is prevalent in their actions and the overall scene is dismal, which is indicative to a zombie story.

The acting is good so far, zombies are really good at being zombie and humans good at being humans. As for the story, I do know what to expect but I always wonder if there will be any twists or changes. All in all, this is a great show and only adds to the amazing AMC lineup. I would highly recommend anyone who can stomach the show, to watch it. This will definitely go down as one of the best zombie stories of all time.
  58. Nov 1, 2010
    Landmark television folks. Diverges just enough from the comics to keep it fresh without also bastardizing. Truly hope this finds an audience. The opening scene may have pushed some viewers away.
  59. Nov 1, 2010
    All the months of waiting paid off, thank you amc got this show and not HBO. Phew and the show actually made the comic book better. The gore and violence are all in context and not just stuck in there for the shock value.
  60. Nov 1, 2010
    Very promising show as down of the dead the movie was several years ago
    The first episode is very impressive in term of special effects and actors playing
    Hope it will continue on the same base This is an excellent tv focussed and refreshing try on the zombie genre
  61. Nov 1, 2010
    With all of the hype that this show got, I was expecting something on-par with "Breaking Bad" or "Mad Men" in terms of writing and acting. It seems like The Walking Dead has ample budget, but the show is still strangely reminiscent of the made-for-TV movies one might find on the Sci-Fi channel or the Hallmark channel. I really wanted to like this show, I love zombie movies, and TheWith all of the hype that this show got, I was expecting something on-par with "Breaking Bad" or "Mad Men" in terms of writing and acting. It seems like The Walking Dead has ample budget, but the show is still strangely reminiscent of the made-for-TV movies one might find on the Sci-Fi channel or the Hallmark channel. I really wanted to like this show, I love zombie movies, and The Walking Dead had great gore and makeup. But the story was sluggish and not engaging, and the dialog was totally facepalm-inducing. I honestly don't understand how this show has so many positive reviews. You might enjoy this show if you really liked Stephen King's made-for-TV adaptation of "The Stand". Expand
  62. Nov 1, 2010
    Although not as fast paced as most zombie films, The Walking Dead emphasizes something more than just bloodthirsty zombies, it has real live characters. The writing gives the characters such depth and makes the viewers care about them and hope that they make it through their journey through the zombie apocalypse. It does lack a background on how the zombies came to be; such asAlthough not as fast paced as most zombie films, The Walking Dead emphasizes something more than just bloodthirsty zombies, it has real live characters. The writing gives the characters such depth and makes the viewers care about them and hope that they make it through their journey through the zombie apocalypse. It does lack a background on how the zombies came to be; such as radioactivity (Night of The Living Dead) or a virus (28 Day Later). A religious background wouldn't work as well because it may make the characters more hopeless and who wants to watch a show about emotionless people, it's like watching a show about zombies (lol). The Walking Dead is so original and well done that there will most likely be followers, but none could match up to this, unless directed by George A. Romero Expand
  63. Nov 1, 2010
    Points for production values; the elaborate city scenes were convincing, grand, and well-choreographed. The cinematography was quite good, especially the tense opening sequence which had some beautiful long takes. But I was unable to give a **** about any character (except the poor horse). The acting fit the parts well enough, but these characters feel so recycled and ordinary that they'rePoints for production values; the elaborate city scenes were convincing, grand, and well-choreographed. The cinematography was quite good, especially the tense opening sequence which had some beautiful long takes. But I was unable to give a **** about any character (except the poor horse). The acting fit the parts well enough, but these characters feel so recycled and ordinary that they're unreal. You really sense the writers trying to tug our heart-strings -- the manipulative plotting left me cold. It's a low-grade melodrama that fails to address any substantive social issues (unlike the excellent 28 Days Later). There was definitely some excitement in the long city sequence, in a survival-horror kind of way. If the characters weren't so hollow, and the dialogue so canned, the action sequences would have some weight behind them. Walking Dead gives the impression of a totally insincere, mass-market cash-grab made to capitalize on the zombie fad. Expand
  64. Nov 1, 2010
    I thought this show was amazing. Obviously this review is based off the first episode which doesn't do many shows justice. However, this is the first time I've seen a horror-type film/show that is highly story driven. Usually zombie themed media relies on fear to drive the entertainment. Personally, I don't get much entertainment from the "fear" aspect and I judge things on theirI thought this show was amazing. Obviously this review is based off the first episode which doesn't do many shows justice. However, this is the first time I've seen a horror-type film/show that is highly story driven. Usually zombie themed media relies on fear to drive the entertainment. Personally, I don't get much entertainment from the "fear" aspect and I judge things on their composition. Sure, the show started slow. However, the interactions before the disaster are extremely important to the structure of relationships between characters. This show is obviously not for the someone that's looking for a "bloody" good time. I do recommend this to someone who is looking for a realistic account to a very unrealistic scenario. Expand
  65. Nov 2, 2010
    Amazing!! A great zombie movie made series!! Can't wait to watch it all!!! Great photography, great effects!!
    Well acted, very emotional!!
    WHAT ARE YOU WAITING TO WATCH IT!!!???
  66. Nov 3, 2010
    Being an avid zombie fan I naturally decided to watch this show and I'm glad I did. It did not disappoint in the slightest. While it's far to early to give a full review on this show the premise is actually something that hasn't been done before in the zombie genre and that's focusing on character development. Something that I hope this show will handle well. Right from the start theBeing an avid zombie fan I naturally decided to watch this show and I'm glad I did. It did not disappoint in the slightest. While it's far to early to give a full review on this show the premise is actually something that hasn't been done before in the zombie genre and that's focusing on character development. Something that I hope this show will handle well. Right from the start the direction of the show has been great, from the great special effects to even nodding at a couple of zombie cliches. It's not scary but I don't think that's the point, it's a drama with zombies. The first episode alone is better than most zombie movies out there and I hope that the rest of the series follow.

It's a wonderful show and I do suggest picking it up. Unless gore is not your thing, because the gore here is very high.
  67. Nov 6, 2010
    Completely engrossing, movie quality series. This does nothing different, in fact, it fully embraces all the old Zombie cliches, including the old classic 'blood writing on the walls', moulding them into one fantastic show, which manages to keep you fixated on the screen.
  68. Nov 9, 2010
    By far one of the most gripping stories told on television to date, and these days television is looking better than movies. The people, the zombies, the building all tell a story and... man, what a story. I can not stress enough how great this show is, i have no idea who these actors are but they are SO compelling and they drew me in. I cannot wait for this story hit it's strideBy far one of the most gripping stories told on television to date, and these days television is looking better than movies. The people, the zombies, the building all tell a story and... man, what a story. I can not stress enough how great this show is, i have no idea who these actors are but they are SO compelling and they drew me in. I cannot wait for this story hit it's stride because the substance they can use is basically infinite. Expand
  69. Nov 10, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a huge fan of the comic, and I have to say that I wasn't let down in the least. In Ireland the first episode aired on a channel called FX, which screened the entire episode from start to finish in an hour (no ad breaks) and I have to say I was absolutely glued to the screen for the entire hour. The iconic scene when Rick stumbles across whats left of a wom-bie (woman zombie) really hits home how much of a world of **** / suffering Rick is in store for. Brilliant stuff - I can't recommend this enough to everyone. Must see series. Expand
  70. Nov 12, 2010
    First of I'm not much of a zombie apocalypse fan as the whole genre seems overdone. However, I had read a few issues of the The Walking Dead graphic novel and was fascinated, with the direction the writers took with the story. When I heard about the TV version of it, I was a bit skeptical because film almost never does a great book justice. I'm glad to say that I am absolutely wrong onFirst of I'm not much of a zombie apocalypse fan as the whole genre seems overdone. However, I had read a few issues of the The Walking Dead graphic novel and was fascinated, with the direction the writers took with the story. When I heard about the TV version of it, I was a bit skeptical because film almost never does a great book justice. I'm glad to say that I am absolutely wrong on this account. The show is brilliantly paced, well scripted and the visuals are dark and gritty with the cinematography just hinting that something better is going to come for our protagonist, inevitably followed by something that much more sinister. I love this show!!!! Expand
  71. Nov 17, 2010
    Sexist, racist and equally ridiculous. The writers and producers of this drivel want us all to know that they blatantly wish we could all go back to the dark ages. Where little missy washes clothes all day in the river, if she's not doing that she's hanging them on the line or looking after the children, while the men hunt and gather with the guns. The opening scene of the two cops hatingSexist, racist and equally ridiculous. The writers and producers of this drivel want us all to know that they blatantly wish we could all go back to the dark ages. Where little missy washes clothes all day in the river, if she's not doing that she's hanging them on the line or looking after the children, while the men hunt and gather with the guns. The opening scene of the two cops hating on women was just the warm up and it's down hill from there. Pity, because I really wanted to like it too. Special effects are good but they get a zero for the stink they've served up in this day and age. Shame on you. Expand
  72. Nov 17, 2010
    Cliched, unlikable, shallow Characters (yes even the main character) that you couldn't care less about. It's a dull, done to death apocalypse drama 'Days of our Lives' style, with the same old characters doing the same old thing. Yawn. Throw in a red neck or two for some spice....and you've got yourself a whole lot of cookie cutter plot devices fit for equally cookie cutter characters.Cliched, unlikable, shallow Characters (yes even the main character) that you couldn't care less about. It's a dull, done to death apocalypse drama 'Days of our Lives' style, with the same old characters doing the same old thing. Yawn. Throw in a red neck or two for some spice....and you've got yourself a whole lot of cookie cutter plot devices fit for equally cookie cutter characters. Written by a Red Neck for Red Necks. Expand
  73. Dec 1, 2010
    As an avid fan of zombie fiction, this 50's frontier melodrama pinned to our zombie pop culture trend was disappointing as a contemporary zombie genre show. The characters are 2 dimensional and most of the time seem to be quite obvious mouthpieces touting simplistic ideals of communal camping for dull old-fashioned men and women, rather than be put to good use and show a variety ofAs an avid fan of zombie fiction, this 50's frontier melodrama pinned to our zombie pop culture trend was disappointing as a contemporary zombie genre show. The characters are 2 dimensional and most of the time seem to be quite obvious mouthpieces touting simplistic ideals of communal camping for dull old-fashioned men and women, rather than be put to good use and show a variety of contemporary people. The result is that any differences in them are scant and it's hard to invest interest in any of them individually - they're just 'the group' that are tacked on to the two male leads. For example, there is very little contrast in the female characters especially - they predominately wash clothes in the background, and react the same way to everything. It's the one character pasted onto different faces. We wouldn't be at all impressed if it was the same zombie pasted across all zombies - that would be obvious - so why drop the ball with the human characters? The males have been drawn from contrasting cardboard cliches that are often thrown together in a basic formula, where side male characters are particularly inconsistent as they are tools to bounce off and make the two main hero/s look big and smart. One example is that in the introduction of Glenn, he is cautious and very responsible. He knows not to fire weapons which will attract zombies. In a reversal of character he drives the car with an alarm blaring directly back to camp purely for fun, which led nowhere in the story except to provide another moment where the 'big dude' is smart. It's not hard to imagine that the camp rules [and say, how to operate a CB radio] would be shared knowledge in the adult group, and adhered to. There is flimsy background in the group's formation in this regard, as common sense is withheld from these apparently normal people [particularly the females] in order to ensure a well of opportunities throughout the early episodes to show the big dude 'smarts'. This is old 70's style action flick writing. Hell, Glenn had quite a long trip back to camp to think about his flip in character too. There is so much fantastic zombie literature out there which can depict multiple characters and develop them simultaneously - why use this insult to humanity? The acting is well done despite the lack of depth, the cringe-worthy dialogue and inconsistencies. If only the mostly impressive zombie make-up and FX in this show could be put to something less offensive to people who have a love of the undead, but have a soul themselves. Expand
  74. Nov 18, 2010
    This is definitely one of the best new shows out there right now. I've seen a lot of zombie apocalypse movies and haven't been impressed, but this is something that leaves me wanting more. The plot is solid, the characters are well played, and the scenes of horror are intense enough to experience the characters' despair yourself.
  75. Nov 21, 2010
    The first week we were all so excited to see the show so we sat down to watch it and at the end of the hour we were all so disappointed. the show was so slow it had felt like we had been watching for ten hours, we even gave the show a second chance so we watched the second week and by the end of the hour we had decided this was the worst show in history so by the third week we wereThe first week we were all so excited to see the show so we sat down to watch it and at the end of the hour we were all so disappointed. the show was so slow it had felt like we had been watching for ten hours, we even gave the show a second chance so we watched the second week and by the end of the hour we had decided this was the worst show in history so by the third week we were flipping through channels and couldn't find anything to watch and we decided that we would get a good laugh by watching once again. Its slow, has bad acting and everything is so predictable Expand
  76. Nov 21, 2010
    Great show, even if you don't like zombies, it has a compelling story, great character development and has action in it. It is a great show that doesn't overwhelm you senseless killing. It does a great job proportioning every aspect of an a fantastic show. Everyone who does not like it just likes complaining. Someone was complaining that the men go hunt while the woman wash clothes,Great show, even if you don't like zombies, it has a compelling story, great character development and has action in it. It is a great show that doesn't overwhelm you senseless killing. It does a great job proportioning every aspect of an a fantastic show. Everyone who does not like it just likes complaining. Someone was complaining that the men go hunt while the woman wash clothes, right, well only one man was actually hunting and the girls were washing clothes, how do you know that the men and the women do not switch that role every day? Clearly, someone is way to offended by a small glimpse into how people would live in a community that had been hit by zombies.. nothing to get offended about.... To everyone else, I would strongly suggest this show. It is the only show that I follow, I usually like t.v. shows but this is the first one I am sure to watch. It is an the best show I have ever seen by far. Expand
  77. Nov 23, 2010
    This series started well enough but has quickly devolved into nothing but talk. Already on the 4th episode and zombies are on screen for less than 5 minutes during an "hour" long show. The suspense from the first two episodes seems completely gone now. The last two episodes have sunk into the standard TV series formula that strings you along for 40 minutes, leaving anything worth watchingThis series started well enough but has quickly devolved into nothing but talk. Already on the 4th episode and zombies are on screen for less than 5 minutes during an "hour" long show. The suspense from the first two episodes seems completely gone now. The last two episodes have sunk into the standard TV series formula that strings you along for 40 minutes, leaving anything worth watching for the last 5 minutes of the show (the time slot is an hour long with commercials). I really wanted to like this show. Please read the other low score reviews as they really nail what this show is like. Perhaps The Walking Dead will get better with time. Heck, Fringe sort of did...sort of. Expand
  78. Mar 27, 2012
    This show is fantastic, I became addicted to this show extremely fast and could not stop watching it. The truth of the matter is, they did so much right with the show, and few things wrong. Now, I haven't read any of the comics, but after watching this I plan too. Each of the characters in this show are unique and very much their own. Most if not all of the acting is absolutely superb,This show is fantastic, I became addicted to this show extremely fast and could not stop watching it. The truth of the matter is, they did so much right with the show, and few things wrong. Now, I haven't read any of the comics, but after watching this I plan too. Each of the characters in this show are unique and very much their own. Most if not all of the acting is absolutely superb, and the storyline is great too. There were 3 or 4 small things in the show that I don't think made sense, but they were always extremely small and usually did not effect any episode other than the one the flaw was in. Another gripe I had was that some of the Zombies really just looked like and acted like people with some dirt and makeup and fake cuts and bruises, but only some of them. Overall I think this was a fantastic season and I cant wait for more. Expand
  79. Dec 3, 2010
    This show already has an advantage over Zombie movies: Having the ability to flesh out characters. The fact that you care what happens to the cast is what makes this show great. Definitely a good show to watch if you like horror, drama, and humanity.
  80. Dec 2, 2010
    It rocks my world !This is so entertaining and mindless. All you do is sit and relax and get the **** scared out of you. What could be better than that ?
  81. Nov 28, 2010
    The fact zombies are part of the content is secondary. The simple fact is Walking Dead is human nature showcased, its very touching because of this. Hopefully they remain true to the spirit of the books. WD is my favorite TV show of all time... One because I hate TV and two because I love exploring human nature. WD is awesome!

BTW: I hate you!
  82. Nov 29, 2010
    "The Walking Dead" (TWD) is fantastic. As a whole it is cinematographically brilliant. Every shot is like you are watching a theatrical movie. The picture is so vivid and mesmerizing. The acting is brilliant as well. I think this series is very on par with "Breaking Bad" and "Mad Men" as far as quality of entertainment, but ads a new twist to AMC's lineup. This network brings nothing"The Walking Dead" (TWD) is fantastic. As a whole it is cinematographically brilliant. Every shot is like you are watching a theatrical movie. The picture is so vivid and mesmerizing. The acting is brilliant as well. I think this series is very on par with "Breaking Bad" and "Mad Men" as far as quality of entertainment, but ads a new twist to AMC's lineup. This network brings nothing but quality and well thought out shows and "TWD" is just that. Every week this show has kept me glued to the screen and it makes you really feel for the characters even though we have only known them for a short time. This show so far is a very faithful adaptation and if the episodes continue the way they have been (dark environments, great acting and relationships that you can feel for.) it is going to last for years to come. In two words; Just Awesome. Expand
  83. Dec 1, 2010
    This show sucks. The first couple episodes were okay, but it has been downhill from there. The show's attempts at character development are soo weak. And there are so many moments that bore me to tears. Like the overly long scene where husband and wife are reunited and cuddling in the tent, and the never-ending scene where one sister mourns the death of the other. Keep it moving guys. NoThis show sucks. The first couple episodes were okay, but it has been downhill from there. The show's attempts at character development are soo weak. And there are so many moments that bore me to tears. Like the overly long scene where husband and wife are reunited and cuddling in the tent, and the never-ending scene where one sister mourns the death of the other. Keep it moving guys. No one cares about these people. We want to see a plot, we want to see action, and we want to keep it moving. These abundant and overly long scene edits are obviously designed to take up time, save money, and make up for the lack of plot developing scenes. Boring. Great to hear that all the writers from season one have been canned, but the real problem is a lack of planning and/or no real script. I'm tuning out. Expand
  84. Dec 5, 2010
    AMAZING show. at first I thought it started a bit slow..a lot of talking..and would have LOVED to see the collapse of the world happen (police and military trying to deal with the dead). EVERY zombie movies lacks this. BUT this is not a zombie movie, instead a GREAT show. Enjoy this very much and theyve made some very good changes. Only show i actually watch anymore. give it a 10!
  85. Dec 7, 2010
    amazing characters great plot and storyline daryle is a badass they should air him more. better than resident evil. will be waiting for season two to air. and whoever does the zombie makeup is a extremely talented
  86. Dec 8, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great new show, I've read the entire comic book series up to 79 and season one only loosely uses the comic book story. (the part where Rick and Glenn cover themselves with rotting flesh actually comes from the comic version of the srory) I read a article the other day that says that Frank Darabont fired all the writers that wrote the first season and is bringing in some new writers. I am really looking forward to season 2.
    I
  87. Dec 9, 2010
    Nothing original in the first 6 episodes, but the writing and direction surpasses most of the material it plagiarizes. Overall, The Walking Dead had a strong (albeit short) first season. Looking forward to the second season.
  88. Jan 28, 2011
    I always wished to see a 10 hours Zombie movie. I know that it's not going to happen, but walking dead was exactly what I was looking for. A very good serie about the theme I aways like to see. I like everything about zombies and this serie has the best of it, It´s serious and have a good story. I give it a 10
  89. Feb 14, 2011
    If any body read the comics, they would be furious. At least I was. For one not all the characters were in there and some you had all wrong. The comic is bout how the characters feel, bond and act in a situation of a zombie attack. It focuses on how people can be so cruel and how far people will go to keep their loved ones alive. I don't know how they are going to pull off season 2- itsIf any body read the comics, they would be furious. At least I was. For one not all the characters were in there and some you had all wrong. The comic is bout how the characters feel, bond and act in a situation of a zombie attack. It focuses on how people can be so cruel and how far people will go to keep their loved ones alive. I don't know how they are going to pull off season 2- its going way to far from the comic story line. What i like most about the comic is that it doesn't focus much on the government in the begining (unlike the tv show). They ruined it. They should stop, sit down and read the comic before making a series of it. If they would of just followed the comic, I think it would be better in every way! Expand
  90. Mar 3, 2011
    Based on the pilot episode alone, im delighted with what I saw. The Walking Dead offers detail that no zombie movie could ever be able to get across. Admittedly, I am intrigued by anything in the zombie apocalypse genre, but I have a good feeling that this one shall be better than most other series or movie dealing with the undead. It's safe to say I look forward to seeing the rest of theBased on the pilot episode alone, im delighted with what I saw. The Walking Dead offers detail that no zombie movie could ever be able to get across. Admittedly, I am intrigued by anything in the zombie apocalypse genre, but I have a good feeling that this one shall be better than most other series or movie dealing with the undead. It's safe to say I look forward to seeing the rest of the series. Let's just hope it stays real and doesn't go down the same pathetic road as the resident evil series. Expand
  91. Mar 16, 2011
    Boy, this show sure does have potential. I'd been reading the comics a few months before the TV show was announced and I was ecstatic. I was incredibly excited to hear my favorite series of comics would be manufactured into a TV show. And with Frank Darabont at the helm what could ever go wrong right? Right....? Well what we got was a show that is quite simply meh. They do a few thingsBoy, this show sure does have potential. I'd been reading the comics a few months before the TV show was announced and I was ecstatic. I was incredibly excited to hear my favorite series of comics would be manufactured into a TV show. And with Frank Darabont at the helm what could ever go wrong right? Right....? Well what we got was a show that is quite simply meh. They do a few things well (Supporting cast, cinematography, makeup, set design) and a few things wrong. (All of the new characters invented especially for the show, Rick's character, that Walking Dead feel) The show really does nail the supporting cast. Dale, Lorie, Andrea, Glenn, all are perfectly cast and very well acted. Also the cinematography is beautiful. The zombies are great looking as well. But the show is holding itself back. The easiest to see is definitely the new characters. Merle is probably the least interesting character of any AMC series. I honestly hate the guy. Nothing is interesting about him. He's a cliche redneck who is dumb and doesn't belong in this group. How did he get in the group to begin with? Why would they rescue such an unlikable guy? I won't bother getting into T-Dogg or some of the red shirts, but I find them to be annoying as well. One thing that really bugged me while watching the show was the atrocious job they are doing with Rick's character. Anyone who has read the comics knows that Rick is far from perfect. He is an incredibly emotional guy who often makes the best out of the wrong decisions. He is a natural leader, but his position affects him to the core. He often becomes violent with people and will do anything to guarantee safety. Now that is not the Rick from the TV show. What we get from the TV show is a Rick who is the quintessential everyday superhero. He is calm, collective, always has a plan, knows what he is doing, is always sure of himself, and for whatever reason, loves to whisper. This could not be farther from the incredibly flawed and interesting character that is Rick from the books. The last thing I didn't like about the show was the fact that they introduced (spoilers) some Hispanic guys taking care of some old people. Not only did I find this silly in the context of the universe Robert Kirkman has created but I also find it hurtful to the atmosphere. One thing I love about the comics is the atmosphere that Kirkman created. You feel like the people your around in the books are the only people still functioning like normal, civil people. You feel alone except for these people. You feel how damned important they are because they are civil. Loneliness is pervasive in the comicbooks and having these extra groups running around with little interaction with our group is just bad storytelling. The Hispanics are introduced and then gone. If there had been more interaction with them and some character development maybe it would have made sense, but unfortunately, it did not.
    This show has serious potential. I hope that other people agree with me.
  92. May 24, 2011
    An interesting take on the zombie apocalypse story. The season keeps pace very well, and adds twists at the right moments. Due to large production values (and stellar casting) the whole thing is like a feature-length movie experience, and makes this a perfect DVD release on top of a good show. The only criticism I have, that pulled my rating down one, was the overuse of similar scenarios,An interesting take on the zombie apocalypse story. The season keeps pace very well, and adds twists at the right moments. Due to large production values (and stellar casting) the whole thing is like a feature-length movie experience, and makes this a perfect DVD release on top of a good show. The only criticism I have, that pulled my rating down one, was the overuse of similar scenarios, and the occasional blip in VFX and acting. Not to spoil, but that grenade... really? Still, a great start to a hopefully good storyline. Lookout for Season 2. Expand
  93. Apr 26, 2011
    The first episode was incredible. Tense, emotional, scary. From there, the series went downhill, and quick. The characters from the comic have been needlessly streamlined in the transition to television, losing much of the subtlety that made the comic so damn good. And with one half-exception, the new characters are just one-note cliches. The action is too slow-moving, withoutThe first episode was incredible. Tense, emotional, scary. From there, the series went downhill, and quick. The characters from the comic have been needlessly streamlined in the transition to television, losing much of the subtlety that made the comic so damn good. And with one half-exception, the new characters are just one-note cliches. The action is too slow-moving, without character development to pick up the dramatic slack. Still, the production values are great, with the zombies being particularly well done. I'm hoping that the second season, with a new writing staff, will remedy the problems I had with the first. In any case, I liked what they tried to do well enough that I'm willing to give season 2 a shot. Expand
  94. May 6, 2011
    The acting is superb. Visually, it's beautiful. The story is intriguing, mainly because one becomes interested in seeing what the human survivors will do next. The suspense is intense. The music is very good and helps draw you in. All in all, this show is excellent. A zombie fan's dream come true. Keep 'em coming!
  95. Oct 24, 2011
    I can't believe the number of sheep who lap up this garbage with zeal. I've come to the conclusion that the writers haven't yet let us in on the survivors' ultimate plan: bore the zombies death by spending two-thirds of every episode discussing their feelings.
  96. Jun 3, 2011
    Great Show! I love zombies films/ tv shows. Finished the first season in a day cause it was that good! Cant wait for season 2!!! Best show on television right now.
  97. Jul 28, 2011
    This is easily one of the (if not the) greatest television show on right now. I just bought the DVD, and am rewatching all the episodes. What is brilliant about The Walking Dead is that it shares the same feel of the old Romero movies. It is quick, consuming, beautiful, gory, dark, and a lot of fun. And one more thing-for all of you complaining how the show was too gory, or had to muchThis is easily one of the (if not the) greatest television show on right now. I just bought the DVD, and am rewatching all the episodes. What is brilliant about The Walking Dead is that it shares the same feel of the old Romero movies. It is quick, consuming, beautiful, gory, dark, and a lot of fun. And one more thing-for all of you complaining how the show was too gory, or had to much nudity (which, mind you, there is none at all. There was underwear in ep. 2, does that count as nudity to you psychos?) I'm gonna say this-to you, directly. ITS A F#$%ING ZOMBIE SHOW! It is a show about the living dead, who can only be killed with a shot to the head. You can't make this show without making it gory. So if you're one of those p%$$!#$ that likes clean entertainment for the whole family, go watch Nick Jr. Because people have grown up, and you should too. Expand
  98. Sep 15, 2011
    Even know, I'm not a fan of zombie movies. The Walking Dead is one of the best shows on cable. Season 1 was amazing, filled with thrills and chills. Season 2, needs to come faster.
  99. Oct 10, 2011
    I decided to do my own review based on a lot of the Negative responses that I've seen like it's "disgusting' stuff like that. Now obviously its not a family show it was made more directly for zombie lovers do to the fact that for a long time no one had a good zombie show out their but vampires,their everywhere. This show is a bit stop and go as far as excitement but theirs always aI decided to do my own review based on a lot of the Negative responses that I've seen like it's "disgusting' stuff like that. Now obviously its not a family show it was made more directly for zombie lovers do to the fact that for a long time no one had a good zombie show out their but vampires,their everywhere. This show is a bit stop and go as far as excitement but theirs always a surprise twist in all of it even some stuff no one see's coming. the show was aiming for a good realistic zombie apocalypse show that could ensnare it's viewers keep us all guessing and just when we think we got it figured out something bigger happens myself personally I think some things could have been portrayed better but I'm loving this show and looking forward to the next season which is soon to come and if you haven't seen the show and you like zombies, and your not afraid to get a but grossed out then this is an excellent show heart stopping, emotional, bloody, thrill ride excellent show with few flaws Expand
  100. Oct 24, 2011
    Great show, although slow-paced at times. It has a great production value, with the cities portrayed, and the lifelike zombie attire. My only concern is the growing further and further from the original comic story line. I understand they have to make their own impact for a general audience but there are great elements that could be combined. In certain times it even seems to not haveGreat show, although slow-paced at times. It has a great production value, with the cities portrayed, and the lifelike zombie attire. My only concern is the growing further and further from the original comic story line. I understand they have to make their own impact for a general audience but there are great elements that could be combined. In certain times it even seems to not have a sense of a strong female lead. They have made most of them weak and unable to make good choices. I do enjoy watching the show, but it definitely isn't a MUST see for this zombie fan. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Dec 7, 2010
    Darabont uses the TV-series format to break convention not only by defying the predictabilities of the horror genre (boo!) but also by infusing the recipe with more storytelling elan.
  2. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Dec 7, 2010
    I was encouraged that the character-driven third episode was stronger than the zombie action-heavy second, and perhaps the producers will be proven right--that the longer this saga goes on past these initial six episodes, the more it will set itself apart from the zombie canon.
  3. Reviewed by: Mary McNamara
    Dec 7, 2010
    The Walking Dead, like any good horror tale, still believes in the importance of monsters, perfectly balancing the struggle of basic human decency with those palsied four-in-the-morning moments when we are convinced that everyone around us is trying to eat us alive