• Network: AMC
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
8.2

Universal acclaim- based on 1979 Ratings

1. Oct 9, 2013
    Post Apocalyptic Zombies in a Television series. It's original, and what's not to like? Well, for starters, how about, the characters. Yes, the characters. The cast of the Walking Dead is so SO unlikable that after somehow managing to struggle through the first season before I gave up on it, I was rooting for the zombies. Women like this show because of Daryl, who is a good looking actor,Post Apocalyptic Zombies in a Television series. It's original, and what's not to like? Well, for starters, how about, the characters. Yes, the characters. The cast of the Walking Dead is so SO unlikable that after somehow managing to struggle through the first season before I gave up on it, I was rooting for the zombies. Women like this show because of Daryl, who is a good looking actor, but a horrible character, which I guess doesn't matter. At this point, I believe the reason the Walking Dead has becoming so popular among TV watchers is for the following few reasons, 1. Other people you know watch it and you want to talk about it with them, 2. It's not afraid to kill off cast members (thank god), 3. It has Zombies, and 4. It has zombies. I challenge you to tell me, in more than 5 words what about The Walking Dead is actually deserving of positive reviews. Lets talk about the "action" element of the show. How does one kill an enemy that doesn't posses the brain power to fight back? Well... you shoot it, or you chop it's head off while it stands there. Very static. How do zombies kill you? They outnumber you. Again, static. What zombie films have that make them good, the walking dead does not. By the end of the first season, we have no idea where they came from, and the entire show is just watching unlikable characters survive and piss each other off, including the audience. 3 Stars. Barely. Expand
  2. Mar 11, 2012
    AMC's The Walking Dead is an adaptation of the comic series of the same name, about a group of survivors in the zombie apocalypse. Being a giant fan of the comics, I watched the show, and I actually didn't mind it for a couple episodes. But the farther the show goes on, the more pacing problems it gets and the more obnoxious my favorite characters would become, if they even showed up atAMC's The Walking Dead is an adaptation of the comic series of the same name, about a group of survivors in the zombie apocalypse. Being a giant fan of the comics, I watched the show, and I actually didn't mind it for a couple episodes. But the farther the show goes on, the more pacing problems it gets and the more obnoxious my favorite characters would become, if they even showed up at all. Tyreese and Michonne are nowhere to be seen. Instead, we're given the generic redneck Daryl and the EXTREMELY stereotyped token black character T-Dog. Seriously. His name is T-Dog.
    The second season definitely drags on, even though it barely touches on any actual plot from the comics. They spend about 8 episodes trying to find Sophia, a girl who went missing and (Spoilers) is a zombie. The sad part is Sophia is alive and well in the comics, nothing bad actually happens to her. The same is to be said with Shane's death, which was much more emotional in the comics, considering Carl is the one who actually kills human Shane to save his father's life. The choice to instead have Rick stab Shane was a waste of good material.
    The more and more I watch this show, the more and more I find myself no longer caring about the characters. They do dumb things, and someone dies. And I don't care. They aren't the characters I love anymore. They're annoying whiny people. Eventually, you'll find yourself rooting for the zombies.
  3. Nov 14, 2010
    Ok, I take it back. The second episode is lots better. I am glad I gave it a try. I like that there is a woman with a brain (the African American woman who worked for the zoning department.)
  4. Nov 23, 2014
    Where to start? Terrible writing? Terrible special effects? Terrible videography? Terrible editing? Yeah, I guess what zombies will deliver to television: Death to creativity. BTW, the notion that no-nothing 20-somethings will save you from anything requiring a knowledge of how the world actually works is a totally loopy idea!
  5. May 7, 2012
    Another post Apocalyptic series. Nothing original or creative in this series. I still watch the series due to its story but its just another one next to the others. If you watched Resident Evil before, then this is like the TV series of it. The Walking Dead is a decent show but the hype is ridiculous.
  6. Apr 7, 2013
    The setting of the show is amazing the world is coming to an end and humanity is on the verge of returning to the Stone Age and becoming an agrarian economy. Zombies are decimating the world population I mean what was not to like!
    What surprised me was how the writers of the show managed to achieve the feat of making every character so unlikeable and pedestrian and as a consequence the series boring. The show fails remarkably in creating a dystopia. The post-apocalyptic vision the show captures is so mundane it was a struggle for me to sit through the six episodes of Season 1. The only good bits were the terrific visual effects.
    I’m going to fast forward to Season 3 and set up a scene for you A car is zipping across what is a deserted highway, brown leaves strewn on the road, you can tell the place has seen its share of carnage. One of the occupants of the car is our Hero, Rick Grimes. As the car races across the Road a solitary young man carrying a huge backpack appears and at first frantically urges the car to stop then begs and pleads with them to take pity on him and help him. There isn’t even a discussion by the occupants whether they should stop or not they just keep going. On the way back they cross the same patch of the Road. You can see there’s fresh blood on the gravel guts sprayed across the tarmac. There’s a dead body on the road it’s the same guy who wanted to be rescued desperately. The car crosses the Dead body or what’s left of it and as if as an afterthought the driver brings the car to a halt few metres ahead and pauses, then puts the car in reverse it comes to a stop next to the back pack. Somebody picks it up and they’r on their way again. Not a word is exchanged during all this. After all what is there to be said, characters are past debating the morality of such actions self-preservation now precedes everything and even 10 year old boys do horrible things not out of malice but out of necessity. And it’s not just Zombies that Humanity has to contend with it’s the danger they pose each other too, fighting over what are now quickly depleting resources. It’s moments like these that are flat our brilliant and for once you do believe the apocalypse is upon our planet. The problem is scenes such are these aren’t too frequent and that I believe is what’s now keeping it from becoming a cinematic achievement, but the show has improved considerably since early days and I believe now finally it’s hands down the best series ever created against the backdrop of a post-apocalyptic earth. Random thought would have been great to see someone adapt ‘World War Z’ into a TV series I know it is not going to happen. The movie Trilogy will be great 6- 8 hours of entertainment nonetheless, delivered over a course of three years.
    I felt nothing for the characters in ‘The Walking Dead’ even mid-way through season 2 and stopped watching after the 5th episode. But I’m glad I gave it another chance last week (couldn’t sleep, decided I’d watch one more episode and perhaps see why the US of A was so fixated on how amazing it really was, I ended up watching right through to the end of Season 3). It gets better during the latter half of the second season and the third season is when the show finally sets out to become what is should have been in the first place a chilling tale of survival on a doomed planet (YES, I took the trouble to think real hard and come up with the most hackneyed cliché to describe it). Like me, if you hated the show early on even though you were a fan of the genre and wanted to like the show, I’d recommend you give it another shot and stay with it a while you will not be disappointed unless you don’t like Zombie genre all together, if that is the case then I doubt you’ll find any merit at all in this tale.
    I can’t wait to see where they’ll be taking it come Season 4 because NO, I don’t read comic books so I don’t know what the story has in store for us.
  7. Mar 26, 2013
    I watched the pilot, and I loved it. It had suspense and it felt post apocalyptic and you think "What the hell went on here!?" When you see burnt out cars, rotting corpses and ruined helicopters.
    Next episode It went from Fringe standards all the way down to Falling Skies standard. The writing & acting is just terrible, I felt like I was watching some low budget slasher film. And the visuals and production values of the entire show look terrible and rushed, like I said, B class. The CDC explosion looked like it was done by Asylum (seriously? can't use practical effects?) and the blood splatter mostly consist of crappy, cartoonish green screened blood. A lot of potential has been missed with this completely crap fest, seriously don't understand how it has gotten universal acclaim with both critics & users.
  8. Jan 16, 2013
    This show blows. How did they cancel Rubicon and renew this crap? Seriously. WTF. What is so exciting about Zombies? And my zombie loving friends, say there's less than 5 min of zombies in each episode anyway. Trash.
  9. Nov 15, 2010
    I had high hopes, but the characters are just too stupid to root for. The only time these slow moving zombies would be a threat is when you're trapped by them. So once they showed people having access to vehicles all danger has to be manufactured by dumb plot devices (imitating zombies to sneak by), or stupid character decisions (riding a freakin' horse). The only way this seriesI had high hopes, but the characters are just too stupid to root for. The only time these slow moving zombies would be a threat is when you're trapped by them. So once they showed people having access to vehicles all danger has to be manufactured by dumb plot devices (imitating zombies to sneak by), or stupid character decisions (riding a freakin' horse). The only way this series would've worked would be with 28 Days Later fast moving zombies. Damn, it looked so cool in the previews. Expand
  10. Jul 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. That series sucks. Why? The story is so artificial and cliche.

- First at episode 2, just when they are passing the walkers starts rain. Just when cant rain. You watch 20 episodies, and never rain!
    - At episode 4, the fight with the others is without reason, is stupid. At same episode the final is so dramatic too. The walkers are more slow than my grandmother, then the girls stop and waits to be bitten. She dont defend her self, and start scream after bite.

- Mille cut of his hand to escape? Oh my god, that was so original! I doubt that a saw can cut off a hand but cant cut the link of the handcuff.

- Most episodes have much pointless drama, like a soap opera. Is note a action series, is a drama novel.

- The car stolen, the sport one. Is that true, just go there and steal? The gas is ok? The batteries too?

To me, after play last of us, stories like that is pointless and artificial. Like i said, is a dramatic novel for ladies, a soap.
  11. Mar 8, 2012
    Disappointing! I liked the show until it went WAY off track from the comics. I understand the show cannot and should not follow the comics exactly, but the comics are popular for a reason. Killing off some of the most crucial, interesting characters while keeping others that barely utter a sentence is just poor writing. The zombies are the only character that have any real motivation andDisappointing! I liked the show until it went WAY off track from the comics. I understand the show cannot and should not follow the comics exactly, but the comics are popular for a reason. Killing off some of the most crucial, interesting characters while keeping others that barely utter a sentence is just poor writing. The zombies are the only character that have any real motivation and consistently follow through with it. Talk about ruining a good thing. These writers are simply going for easy shock value making the show just as crap as the other shows soon to be canceled. Good riddance. Expand
  12. Feb 17, 2014
    When I see "critically acclaimed" and then see 3 seasons of emptiness with zombies, I have to wonder, who are this critics...

The Walking Dead is probably one of the worst series I managed to keep watching, why? Because it has zombies and everyone likes a survivalist zombie story, so I keep watching it hoping that it will improve, but then I saw the first episode of season 4, and nothing changed.

Characters:
    They don't look like people, they look like zombies, they are that empty, the best characters are those who fall into the cliche category, because at least they are something.

Nonsense:
    The amount of nonsense is just staggering. The decisions of the group are so stupid and ridiculous it makes me facepalm constantly. An example, character X goes on a supply run which is expected to last a day, character Y for absolutely no reason decides that after 1 hour, 1 hour!!! that someone should go see if character X is alright, OMG! The problem is that this nonsense is prevalent through all the seasons.

Learning Curve:
    The characters have no learning curve, they are just as stupid as they were in the very first episode, they keep doing the most ridiculous mistakes over and over again.

More nonsense:
    The world is almost empty of survivors, yet, they can't find a damn good car, they keep using 70's cars instead of, I don't know... maybe some bad ass HUMV? Maybe a truck? Anything that isn't the worst possible choice please?

And more nonsense:
    Yes let's use old bolt action rifles, because in the USA, one of the most armed countries in the world, there's no better solutions, national guard is gone, everything is gone, but there's no good weapons, the cookie monster took them away and ate them. In all fairness this improved in the last season.

Zombies:
    The slowest and dumbest zombies ever made, its just amazing how the characters over-complicate everything. And then there's the magic zombies who all of a sudden show up from nowhere.

And even more nonsense:
    You have an entire forest, where there's a small pack of zombies moving through. You are "cloaked" from them, they can't smell you and they are going the same route as you are. Apparently there's two choices, you go through any other forest path, or you go into the middle of the horde and go with them. What would you chose? Be in the middle of a horde of flesh eating monsters or not? The characters in this series seem to think that being in the center of the horde is the most viable and sane choice.

This series really took a new step into the realm of silliness, there's no story, no characters, no learning, no evolution, no horror, no fear, no empathy, absolutely no realism at all. There's very little to like, acting is ok, scenarios are fine, and that's pretty much it.
  13. Nov 29, 2010
    I just don't get it how a show LIKE this can get 85% metascore..... The show focus too much on violence,blood, bad language and nudity... I don't care about any character. Because there are no like-able characters. Not even the protagonist. All the characters do is swearing or talking bad about women (or hitting them on 4th episode) I almost vomit when i was watching the 2nd episode , whenI just don't get it how a show LIKE this can get 85% metascore..... The show focus too much on violence,blood, bad language and nudity... I don't care about any character. Because there are no like-able characters. Not even the protagonist. All the characters do is swearing or talking bad about women (or hitting them on 4th episode) I almost vomit when i was watching the 2nd episode , when they were taking the guts out of a zombie... DISGUSTING. And the show is not scary at all. Resident evil movies are far better than this. 0 score for me. i stopped watching after the 4th episode.. Expand
  14. Nov 2, 2010
    Basically a slow version of 28 Days later without the suspense. Visually the show delivers, but after an hour and a half it's a shame they couldn't develop a character I want to tune in for next week. I'm going to keep watching for now, but my expectations are pretty low.
  15. Nov 9, 2010
    Just couldn't get into the show. For starters, it's not one bit scary. Gory, yes...Scary, no. I never found gore to be particularly scary. It just makes you want to barf is all. I read somewhere that the characters are somewhat hollow. I completely agree with that assessment. The only character I've cared about so far is the horse Next movie-maker that kills a horse or a dog in a movieJust couldn't get into the show. For starters, it's not one bit scary. Gory, yes...Scary, no. I never found gore to be particularly scary. It just makes you want to barf is all. I read somewhere that the characters are somewhat hollow. I completely agree with that assessment. The only character I've cared about so far is the horse Next movie-maker that kills a horse or a dog in a movie gets a personal visit from me and a man-sized beat down in front of his family. I think the cinematography is the best part of this show. Other than that, I found this show to be disappointingly dull. Expand
  16. Oct 22, 2011
    Are you people on crack? Some of the worst acting I have ever seen, including one of the worst shows. Is this show a comedy? 'What would happen if Zombies took over the world, leaving nothing but white trash behind?" Seriously. W.T.F.
  17. Dec 31, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In the first program you have a man wake up in an abandoned hospital with no living people, but a few dead people walking around. He manages to make it home to find his wife and kid missing, but signs they might still be alive. There's your set-up. What do you do to keep up the excitement? I'll tell you what you don't do. You don't then show the wife and kid safe and sound at a campground outside of town.

Then our cop hero has to move along but the only vehicle he can find is a horse. That's exciting, because a horse leaves him vulnerable to zombies and this sets up an exciting chase. Except the writers decide, "to hell with an exciting chase, let's kill the horse immediately and have the guy hole up in an impenetrable armoured tank."

I was looking forward to this series, but the acting isn't particularly good, is undermined by bad writing and both are further hobbled by a complete lack of suspense or tension. The characters are flat, introducing their one or two traits in their first moments (I'm a racist, and violent) and rest limply there, the only attempt at earning our interest is by having them share back-in-the-day stories; the characters chew over exposition instead of having conversations and seem largely unimpressed by the massive death around them. But where the show really fails is the inability to hold any tension. There are examples of this in every episode I've watched any bit of. I'm kind of mystified by the popularity of this program. After watching the premier and bits of the next two or three shows I was out of patience for it.
  18. Feb 26, 2012
    I hated this show, i expected something scary or something with action but all they did was talk for 30 minutes until i turned it off. I'll stick to watching supernatural since that show actually has some action in it and not so much f***in talking. when zombies attack you dont talk for days
  19. Aug 18, 2014
    Perhaps the most overrated TV show of the last 10-20 years.

Perhaps the most overrated TV show of the last 10-20 years.

Take away the "walkers" and this show would have flopped...badly, Its the zombie fanboy element that have allowed this show to continue, The characters are dull, not much happens besides the predictable and tension free zombie attacks, which happen numerous times every episode because the writers cannot think of many interesting things for the characters to do,and don't get me started on how dumb the characters are.

All in all it could be a decent show but the zombie "action" and lack of interesting plot elements kill it for me.
  20. May 11, 2014
    This isn't the worst thing on TV, but it's pretty awful. Everything is just at the bottom of its game: the writing, the acting, the special effects (apart from the make up). They don't need 16 episodes to tell a story where something happens maybe every 6 episodes and the rest is just filler. And in case you were wondering whether they're building to some great action set-piece orThis isn't the worst thing on TV, but it's pretty awful. Everything is just at the bottom of its game: the writing, the acting, the special effects (apart from the make up). They don't need 16 episodes to tell a story where something happens maybe every 6 episodes and the rest is just filler. And in case you were wondering whether they're building to some great action set-piece or brilliantly scripted finale, no they're not. They've done this to me twice. Expand
  21. Mar 11, 2014
    A very bad one, extremely slow history, you will see 1 or 2 things happen in every episode i give it a point because the production, the rest is garbage.
  22. Aug 26, 2014
    I think this show is not that good, i mean all that is fun to see are the zombies and stuff, cause i mean nobody really care about the characters, they are just not so interesting. It's 4/10. Just my opinion.
  23. Oct 26, 2014
    I don't understand why so many people like this show, I mean after watching the first and second season, I have to say, I've never seen such a boring show like this. Come on! Horror??? Really not!
  24. Nov 22, 2011
    I was extremely excited about this series, as I love the comics and followed them from the very start. After Season 1 I was still optimistic even though many episodes dragged in places, acting and storywise it was lackluster in my opinion. Season 2 started off with a bang, the first episode had a nice mix of action and drama. But sadly it's gone downhill extremely fast, to the pointI was extremely excited about this series, as I love the comics and followed them from the very start. After Season 1 I was still optimistic even though many episodes dragged in places, acting and storywise it was lackluster in my opinion. Season 2 started off with a bang, the first episode had a nice mix of action and drama. But sadly it's gone downhill extremely fast, to the point where it's basically on the level of a bad daytime soap opera with a zombie in it sometimes. I don't know how else to describe the travesty it's become. I'm very surprised by the praise and ratings this series has gotten, but I think the excellent production values will only carry it so far. I've already decided to stop watching. Expand
  25. Feb 23, 2011
    Boring. How the hell is a zombie story boring? Because they spend too much time developing characters I care nothing about. Let me come clean though. When, in the very first episode, they ripped off the plot of 28 days later, I rolled my eyes, and knew I was in for some B.S. because I didn't think 28 days later was particularly good (but it was at least monumentally better than 28 MonthsBoring. How the hell is a zombie story boring? Because they spend too much time developing characters I care nothing about. Let me come clean though. When, in the very first episode, they ripped off the plot of 28 days later, I rolled my eyes, and knew I was in for some B.S. because I didn't think 28 days later was particularly good (but it was at least monumentally better than 28 Months Later...). The more you watch it, the more you realize the amount of "homage" they pay to every single zombie flick that came before, and you wonder if their winking, or just giving the middle finger to those writers of far better material. Zombie stories aren't fine literature, ever. They evoke primal fear, not intellectual, so when you try to engage the viewer on any level higher than what their amygdala can process, you no longer have a zombie movie/show, you have a show that's trying too hard, and missing the mark terribly. Frankly I'd rather watch something like "Night of the Comet" than this snore fest. Boooooooooo! Expand
  26. Nov 10, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's better than Resident Evil: Afterlife but that's not a ringing endorsement. The 2nd episode was unbelievable and inconsistent in many ways, plus you can almost predict what the next few episodes are going to "reveal" without looking at any trailers - the sheriff's sidekick and wife were bumping uglies before the apocalypse but the cop will still be clueless a while longer while wife racked with guilt. Racist bully blackmail's cop's buddy and wife into getting back at cop in exchange for keeping quiet about their affair (which bully somehow caught wind of); cop's buddy happy to play along and off cop to keep alpha male position and his woman. Noble black father and son from 1st episode show up and set things right to the gratitude of copy. Fat black guy turns out to be a jerk after all so white viewers are retrospectively more sympathetic with racist bully's beat down of him in 2nd episode while smugly dismissing any white guilt.

1. The 2 new black characters looked too polished which my husband and I found annoying. Sista looked like she just got her hair permed, curled and edged, then make-up just ruffled it a bit before the director shouted "Action!" while brother-man just shaved his head and beard. OK, maybe his character is bald, whatever. Everyone else looked a lot more like they been in hell for several weeks, fighting for their lives. I'm here to tell you as a black woman your hair would *never* look that put together after several weeks of no chemical treatments, living out of a tent with no running water or electricity to waste on curling irons and the like. She should look more like the little boy in the first episode, for sure.
    2. The whole racial tension thing felt contrived - that whole score would have been settled long before the cop showed up, one way or another. How it was settled felt...patronizing.
    3. The shooting sequence of those scenes was also painfully obvious - first the black guy is beaten a bloody pulp on the roof and can barely walk (leaning on a wall with his cap still firmly on his head), then he's moving very quickly (san cap) in the basement with everyone else, then in the next roof scene he's back in exact same position, cap on his head, licking his wounds. I almost thought the guy in the basement was his twin or something. wtf?
    4. The white racist/bully being left on the roof with tools accidentally dropped that would help free him in the next episode or so? *groan*
    5. Finally, it was amazing how the zombies would miraculously break/leap through barriers when the plot called to up the action quotient.

The second episode took all the wind out of this series for me. I'm shocked AMC was so quick to renew for a second season (Rubicon at least kept you guessing, at it's excruciatingly slow pace). I'll give it one more week and if doesn't improve I'm bailing.

Though I'm rather tepid on this new series, have fun watching and I wish it luck!
  27. Dec 4, 2011
    started out really promising for first few episodes, but bad choice of main character, and the timing is all out of sync, it seems too fast as portrayed, but the story drags its heels, and the characters all have way too much to say about nothing to feel realistic in that sortof situation.
  28. Jan 11, 2012
    Everything just feels vanilla. It's watchable show but I've two major problems with it. One is the writing isn't good enough to tell the kind of story they are trying to tell. In so much that they are trying to tell a story about the psychological effects of the zombies on the survivors, as much as are just doing an all out zombie fest, and it doesn't work because they are going for theEverything just feels vanilla. It's watchable show but I've two major problems with it. One is the writing isn't good enough to tell the kind of story they are trying to tell. In so much that they are trying to tell a story about the psychological effects of the zombies on the survivors, as much as are just doing an all out zombie fest, and it doesn't work because they are going for the best of both worlds. The acting isn't good enough to support the former either, with the acception of Andrew Lincoln. On that note watching Sarah Wayne Callies three eye-face expressions is painful.

The second major problem I have with this season of the show is that it's not scary. At all.

Like I said though, it's watchable in a 'sit round having a few beers with friends' way I guess.
  29. Feb 10, 2012
    It amazes me that american t.v. continues to create weak and over dramatised rubbish that idiots rate as positive. This show promises so much but delivers a lot of disappointment. The characters are so annoying that the show leaves you wanting them to be eaten just to save the world before they breed. Love the zombies, but hate the imbeciles this series is based around. Producers of t.v.It amazes me that american t.v. continues to create weak and over dramatised rubbish that idiots rate as positive. This show promises so much but delivers a lot of disappointment. The characters are so annoying that the show leaves you wanting them to be eaten just to save the world before they breed. Love the zombies, but hate the imbeciles this series is based around. Producers of t.v. need better writers. Expand
  30. Oct 31, 2013
    It's plain and simple. Very boring. Some horrible acting and terrible subplots really hurt the show. It's also nothing like the comic, which are honestly far superior. It gets 3 points for having good special effects.

1. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Dec 7, 2010
    Darabont uses the TV-series format to break convention not only by defying the predictabilities of the horror genre (boo!) but also by infusing the recipe with more storytelling elan.
  2. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Dec 7, 2010
    I was encouraged that the character-driven third episode was stronger than the zombie action-heavy second, and perhaps the producers will be proven right--that the longer this saga goes on past these initial six episodes, the more it will set itself apart from the zombie canon.
  3. Reviewed by: Mary McNamara
    Dec 7, 2010
    The Walking Dead, like any good horror tale, still believes in the importance of monsters, perfectly balancing the struggle of basic human decency with those palsied four-in-the-morning moments when we are convinced that everyone around us is trying to eat us alive