• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Jun 2, 2002
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
9.5

1. Aug 20, 2010
    In Season 3, the action returns to the streets of Baltimore. The most interesting dynamic of this season is the relationship between Avon Barksdale (recently released from prison) & Stringer Bell, his 2nd in command. Avon is still a street thug & wants to battle Marlo Stanfield for the street corners Avon's operation lost when he was in prison. Stinger, however, would rather go legit asIn Season 3, the action returns to the streets of Baltimore. The most interesting dynamic of this season is the relationship between Avon Barksdale (recently released from prison) & Stringer Bell, his 2nd in command. Avon is still a street thug & wants to battle Marlo Stanfield for the street corners Avon's operation lost when he was in prison. Stinger, however, would rather go legit as both Avon & himself have enough money that they'd never have to go back to the street. Expand
  2. Mar 3, 2013
    After a slow(ish) start to Season One 'The Wire' grew to become one of the most gripping drama series on TV and Season Three certainly shows the series at its very best. Refreshingly different from the usual single case per episode formula of the majority of cop shows 'The Wire' builds its story deliberately over the course of its twelve episodes seasons to create something truly unique.After a slow(ish) start to Season One 'The Wire' grew to become one of the most gripping drama series on TV and Season Three certainly shows the series at its very best. Refreshingly different from the usual single case per episode formula of the majority of cop shows 'The Wire' builds its story deliberately over the course of its twelve episodes seasons to create something truly unique.

This Third Season makes a return to the Barksdale case but rather than retreading the same ground the writers present the viewer with a multi-layered story that explores the ongoing war on drugs from fresh perspectives. The superb cast and realistic, yet unpredictable, scripting help bring this all too life in a way that very few TV shows have managed before or since making 'The Wire' essential viewing for anyone regardless of your usual taste in programmes.
  3. Mar 3, 2012
    I've watched many, many television shows, and I can confidently affirm that The Wire is by far the greatest achievement in the history of TV. I won't bother typing up a long and well thought-out review because I'm sure the previous users have done a fair enough job of describing this show, but I will say this: no other television series compares to The Wire, and it will be a long timeI've watched many, many television shows, and I can confidently affirm that The Wire is by far the greatest achievement in the history of TV. I won't bother typing up a long and well thought-out review because I'm sure the previous users have done a fair enough job of describing this show, but I will say this: no other television series compares to The Wire, and it will be a long time before another one does. Expand
  4. Mar 11, 2014
    Extraordinaria tercera temporada, este caso introduce a los politicos locales de Baltimore, una recien creada organizacion criminal Stanfield y su conflicto con la organizacion Barksdale, y el regreso de la investigacion a la propia organizacion Barksdale por parte del departamento de policia de Baltimore.
  5. Oct 6, 2011
    Holy **** Those two words were the exact words I used after seeing the season. The only mystery out there is how did they do this? I'm sure it's better than The Sopranos or whatever the hell HBO puts on. Watching the show is cathartic
  6. May 13, 2014
    The Wire is simply the best show ever created. Once you get into the show you will not want to stop watching it. It is totally engrossing and it is almost impossible not to love this work of perfection!
  7. Jul 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As far as I'm concerned The Wire was back in season 3. I was very happy to see the dock worker story lines gone and get back to the streets exclusively. I loved the Amsterdam plot line, and although pretty far fetched was a very interesting look into what would happen in this type of situation. I also enjoyed the new characters that this brought to the show, and am disappointed that we probably won't see much of the captain going forward as he became one of my favorite characters. My only fault with this season was the political angle brought in. I'm usually a sucker for political intrigue, however this story line did little to excite me and also brought in some rather poor characters. Overall a great season. Expand
  8. Apr 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow. Just... wow. The Wire in Season 3 comes back with a true humdinger. I can't think of a better way this story could have been told and presented.

First of all, I'd like to say that perfect 10s are something that I don't like to give out often. Out of the shows I've watched so far, only Arrested Development and Breaking Bad would earn this rating. And, I now really see why this show is compared to Breaking Bad so often. This consistent high level of drama, acting, and surprises is unlike anything on TV, at least nowadays.

And damn, does The Wire execute its assets with the utmost confidence. The vast majority of a The Wire episode is spent talking, rather than attempting to create a plot full of action-packed twists and turns. The director's absolute confidence in the writing and the ability of the actors even passes Breaking Bad, where there are almost always tense situations. I mean it doesn't necessarily mean I can say The Wire is the better show, it's just one part of The Wire that I feel is done the best here.

After a build-up that can be described as nothing less than amazing, this Season culminates in an episode or two that, in my mind, could be considered for one of the best TV episodes ever. If "Mission Accomplished" isn't, then "Middle Ground" is definitely one of the better episodes I've watched.

Of course, the thing that has everyone talking is Stringer Bell's death at the end. The show seems to know when to keep characters around and when to kill them off. Still, Stringer Bell was a central character and his death was the most shocking in the series so far. Though, there was a great build-up to his fateful moment, so his death certainly wasn't pointless or random. With him setting the hit for both Brandon and D'Angelo and attempting to use Omar's emotions from the former hit to getting rid of Brother Mouzone, his enemies would catch up to him eventually. The most interesting part of this is how it might as well have been Avon who pulled the trigger. This is breathtakingly awesome storytelling that benefits from having 3 Seasons worth of development.

Avon vs. Stringer was the coolest part of the Season. Avon obviously reminds Stringer that this is a criminal organization, while Stringer emphasizes the 'organized' in 'organized crime'. It was really cool seeing the two set one another up, especially that twist that saw Stringer become a snitch. In the end, nobody wins. Not Stinger, Avon, or even the police for that matter. This Season reminds us that in the real world, the war against good and bad almost never has a clearly defined winner. Avon's in cuffs, Stringer ends up biting the bullet, the detail misses their man, and Colvin's innovative solution to the drug problem in the corners becomes nothing more than political rubbish where he's the scapegoat. The main message here is the question of whether or not all of this is worth it. Avon and Stinger "ain't gotta dream no more" with all the money they've earned yet they are still involved with the trade. And, of course, all the good police work we've seen goes to waste; there seems to be no way of stopping crime in a job where politics constantly get in the way.

Speaking of which, let's talk about Bunny Colvin for a bit. Anyone else catch the significance of his "Get on with it, motherf*ckers" line? Well, it's the exact same thing Stringer said before getting lit up by Omar and Brother Mouzone. Yes, it's once again those subtle references to how the drug trade isn't that much different than police work. Both Colvin and Stringer took giant risks doing what they thought would be helpful, and of course, their peers berate them. I mean, whether you morally agree with it or not, Colvin made a hell of a lot of people's lives better. And who would be surprised if D sold out the Barksdale organization? This Season raises some tough moral questions for us to ponder, for sure.

The Season had more than all this too, of course. It's large but layered cast takes a bit of a back-seat in comparison, but McNulty, Kima,and Prez each have interesting things to do outside their detective work. McNulty's new sex buddy causes him to think about his job, while the detail encourages him to get a life outside policing. Kima has an affair, and Prez's integrity completely exploded in the worst way possible.

And there's even more awesomeness, of course. I can't think of a single show that can stuff so much into 12 hours while keeping a remarkably solid pace. The new character, Carcetti looks to expose the current corruption and run for mayor himself. This plot delves into racism, since Baltimore would seemingly rather elect an unqualified black man than any white man. There are definitely depictions of racism on the other side, of course since Baltimore has a large black and white population.

I don't even know if I'm doing this Season justice writing about it. This is an absolute classic that is literally one of the best TV shows ever created.
  9. Aug 25, 2013
    What the F*ck is this? Third Season and the perfection still present. The Wire is incredible. The fourth season is a mystery, no doubt...............
  10. Jul 19, 2013
    simply the standard by which all other shows are judged. i have the sopranos slightly higher, but the wire holds quality quite well throughout and the quality is simply incredible. this is the story of a city told from the ground up. the first season is a dive into an immense world that just keeps getting deeper and deeper until you realise we are all part of the world beyond the wire andsimply the standard by which all other shows are judged. i have the sopranos slightly higher, but the wire holds quality quite well throughout and the quality is simply incredible. this is the story of a city told from the ground up. the first season is a dive into an immense world that just keeps getting deeper and deeper until you realise we are all part of the world beyond the wire and yet the city rolls on.

this first season is judged on its own merits, easily a 10, and no amount of idiot middle class who love it because they were told to, despite never seeing the show, or counter counter culture descreditors are going to make me forget that.

1 is a ten based on its own merits.
    the series is a 10 based on its own merits.
    the weaker seasons are a 10 based on the fact they are that much better than anything else on tv, at what they do, with a very few key exceptions.

the show essential reinvented itself here, and this season, along with 1 is a solid 10.
  11. Sep 27, 2013
    The Wire is often categorized as a "cop show", yet this simply isn't accurate for two reasons one, because it turns TV police cliches on their head at every turn, mainly because of the real-life experience of its two head writers (David Simon was a police reporter for the Baltimore Sun and Ed Burns was both a homicide detective and a schoolteacher); and two, it portrays not only cops, butThe Wire is often categorized as a "cop show", yet this simply isn't accurate for two reasons one, because it turns TV police cliches on their head at every turn, mainly because of the real-life experience of its two head writers (David Simon was a police reporter for the Baltimore Sun and Ed Burns was both a homicide detective and a schoolteacher); and two, it portrays not only cops, but multiple worlds of the city the streets, docks, halls of government, schools, media and others to create a vast tapestry of storylines packed with rich social commentary, something far more ambitious than any other crime drama in television history.

The series is a study of institutions and how they affect and often compromise individuals, with the destruction of the drug war taking center stage. It's a masterclass on crime and sociology (mostly subtle, yet often not-so-subtle), displaying how power and money route themselves through Baltimore's urban decay, while representing its hundreds of characters with honesty and moral ambiguity.

Each season starts out slowly and carefully, but patient viewers who pay close attention to details both big and small will be rewarded in spades when things come to a head (and trust me, they always do even if it takes a few seasons). Unlike other prominent HBO dramas, there is no fat in this show, no filler every scene is there for a reason, either to make an important point or to build up to some fantastic drama, usually both.

Season 3 is, in my opinion, The Wire at its most compelling it has near-perfect pacing and too many awe-inspiring moments to count. It's conclusion is epic, and acts as a satisfying end to the stories built up to that point. Thankfully The Wire was renewed twice more, and while its final two seasons aren't quite as well-crafted as the first three in a dramatic sense, they're every bit as powerful and potent in their commentary.
  12. Dec 21, 2013
    I can honestly say that the wire is undoubtedly the best drama series ever produced in my opinion. The levels it goes to is absolutely phenomenal and i would recommend this masterpiece to anyone with an ounce of common sense.

1. Reviewed by: David Zurawik
    Jul 18, 2013
    It's better than ever. [David] Simon has always been good, but he seems to have truly matured this year as both a writer ... and executive producer. No one is making richer television drama than he is right now. [18 Sep 2004]
  2. Reviewed by: Sid Smith
    Jul 18, 2013
    Dense, richly layered, packed with dozens of colorful characters (enough for four series), "The Wire" unfolds as a sophisticated, sometimes impenetrable and always ultra-gritty documentary. But it pays off after meticulous, devoted viewing, delivering rewards not unlike those won by readers who conquer Joyce, Faulkner or Henry James. [18 Sep 2004]
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Duffy
    Jul 18, 2013
    If you do that rare TV thing of actually paying close attention, HBO's complex, richly detailed crime drama will sweep you away like a fine novel. [17 Sep 2004]