The Wire : Season 4

• Series Premiere Date: Jun 2, 2002
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
9.5

1. Mar 3, 2012
    I've watched many, many television shows, and I can confidently affirm that The Wire is by far the greatest achievement in the history of TV. I won't bother typing up a long and well thought-out review because I'm sure the previous users have done a fair enough job of describing this show, but I will say this: no other television series compares to The Wire, and it will be a long timeI've watched many, many television shows, and I can confidently affirm that The Wire is by far the greatest achievement in the history of TV. I won't bother typing up a long and well thought-out review because I'm sure the previous users have done a fair enough job of describing this show, but I will say this: no other television series compares to The Wire, and it will be a long time before another one does. Expand
  2. Nov 22, 2011
    The Wire is a challenging series, there is no doubt about that. As you watch through a season, and through multiple seasons, you can feel yourself being retrained on how to watch a television show. It can be an uncomfortable experience at times, but the show is absolutely worth it, and you'll have a hard time watching "regular" TV afterwards.

Season 4 is quite possibly the best season

Season 4 is quite possibly the best season of the series. The picture it paints of inner-city youth and their public schools is tragic, but refreshing in its honesty. Like all institutions portrayed in The Wire, the school system is in decline, and there is no miraculous, Hollywood happy ending on the horizon. Which is the whole point of the season, really. Having introduced us in previous seasons to a cast of gangsters, drug addicts, scam artists, disillusioned civil servants, and self-serving politicians, The Wire now shows us where these people come from, how the system produces and reproduces them. And that, ultimately, is what makes The Wire so challenging; it is unflinching in its portrayal of the characters -- and, ultimately, of all of us -- as cogs in a run-down machine which doesn't care about anything but perpetuating itself. This is certainly not what most people are looking for when they sit down to watch TV. But viewers who are willing to devote serious attention and an open mind to this season of The Wire are rewarded with a thought-provoking storyline, engrossing characters, and truly impressive acting -- including some of the most talented child actors you will ever see.
  3. AlexandrosL.
    Oct 5, 2007
    Simon has transferred in his play the Balzac's core conception of the plot in which the characters while they seem to act on their own through a Darwinian battle, in fact they are pawns overwhelmed by the dominant forces of the society. A true masterpiece. Art.
  4. JC
    Sep 7, 2006
    Slow from the blocks but so amazing once it builds momentum. When season 1 pilot first aired, a friend called me and asked me what I thought. My reaction "its so real, there are so many loose ends, its kind of dull." Two weeks later, the same friend called and I told him that I was watching The Wire. He asked why and I said that I didnt know and that it was kind of hypnotic. Two weeks Slow from the blocks but so amazing once it builds momentum. When season 1 pilot first aired, a friend called me and asked me what I thought. My reaction "its so real, there are so many loose ends, its kind of dull." Two weeks later, the same friend called and I told him that I was watching The Wire. He asked why and I said that I didnt know and that it was kind of hypnotic. Two weeks later, I answered the phone and said "I'll call you back I am watching the greatest show ever!" and hung up on him. If you haven't seen it, expect to find this season's pilot rather open ended and to introduce many character relationships that seem real but vague. But four weeks from now, you will be chomping at the bit for each new episode. You'll be glad you did. Expand
  5. JoshC
    Jan 14, 2007
    "24" is a conservative's wet dream. For my money the best show on TV is "The Wire", but nobody watches it. There is not another show on TV that addresses the realities of race, work, manhood and urban life with the sweep and rigor of "The Wire" on HBO. "24", blistering as it is, is just flashy and empty. It's all lightning, no rain."The Wire" drenched me.
  6. Blanqui
    Aug 28, 2007
    This is more than just a television show, this is something more. Watching the wire sets a new standard that makes other shows seem ridiculous. The show is so good and so educational it should be shown in schools for teenagers. It describes it as it is, no bull, no happy ending, just reality. The wie is movie art as its best.
  7. Sep 24, 2012
    I think it is around season 4 that I realized The Wire is the greatest television series ever produced, and that no other TV show would match what David Simon achieved. In the 1st season, the game is introduced, carefully following a police investigation into the drug wars in West Baltimore. The 2nd season introduces the working class/union of Baltimore. 3rd season incorporated theI think it is around season 4 that I realized The Wire is the greatest television series ever produced, and that no other TV show would match what David Simon achieved. In the 1st season, the game is introduced, carefully following a police investigation into the drug wars in West Baltimore. The 2nd season introduces the working class/union of Baltimore. 3rd season incorporated the politics. Each season, something new is learned about these institutions, and it is very often something we wish we didn't know. In the 4th season, Simon's exploration of the school system was eye-opening on so many levels, and essentially documented proof of why many of these kids (or so-called students) end up in the streets as either a player or a feen. It is the tragedy of city government, and the corrupt use of these institutions. The acting was phenomenal (especially from the 4 kids), the story was grand, and the execution was immaculate. That has been the case for every season of the wire, and I can't imagine any other show will be this powerful while trying to maintain a world of pure realism. Expand
  8. Oct 22, 2010
    Season 4 of the Wire is the best season of any television series. Period. While the Wire has always been a great TV show, with more authenticity, in-depth writing, complex characters, superb acting and gripping storytelling in one episode than most shows produce over their entire span. The first three seasons are all amazing, and the storylines from the previous seasons continue to growSeason 4 of the Wire is the best season of any television series. Period. While the Wire has always been a great TV show, with more authenticity, in-depth writing, complex characters, superb acting and gripping storytelling in one episode than most shows produce over their entire span. The first three seasons are all amazing, and the storylines from the previous seasons continue to grow in the fourth season, but they cannot in any way prepare you for the sublime and heartbreaking new storyline following four youth, the school system, and the corner. I can't use enough superlatives to describe this season: Perfect! Riveting! Flawless! The apex of art, entertainment and social commentary on TV (and perhaps any medium)!!!!

If you find the first few episodes disorienting, don't worry, it will all make sense â
  9. DorianS
    Jan 3, 2007
    The most powerful, most heartbreaking, most intelligent, most empathic, most humanistic, most truthful television series that I have ever watched. The writing on all four seasons of "The Wire" is consistently first rate, with dozens of memorable characters brought to life by the superlative cast. Complex and convoluted (yet never boring) this series demands your complete attention when The most powerful, most heartbreaking, most intelligent, most empathic, most humanistic, most truthful television series that I have ever watched. The writing on all four seasons of "The Wire" is consistently first rate, with dozens of memorable characters brought to life by the superlative cast. Complex and convoluted (yet never boring) this series demands your complete attention when watching (something that will come quite easily as anyone who has watched this show can attest to), and rewards your investment of time in spades... Expand
  10. SamA
    Jan 9, 2007
    Josh B put it very well, it is a show about something, and it does an excellent job of not making the "hood" or being a gangsta look romantic. It is real and effective. Living in the poorest city in America, Cleveland, I can relate to everything this show explains. Best show on TV
  11. DR
    Sep 6, 2006
    This show is truely the best ever, yes it might sound cliche to say that about this show, but its so true. The first episode of every season is like a new first chapter, so of course its a little confusing at first, but thats the beauty of this show is that it demands your attention and you get rewarded ten fold once you get into it. I loved the season 4 opener, It starts off a year after This show is truely the best ever, yes it might sound cliche to say that about this show, but its so true. The first episode of every season is like a new first chapter, so of course its a little confusing at first, but thats the beauty of this show is that it demands your attention and you get rewarded ten fold once you get into it. I loved the season 4 opener, It starts off a year after the last season and is just awesome to see all the characters we have come to love over the years. My favorite show no doubt. Expand
  12. JoshB
    Jan 8, 2007
    Seinfeld was the "show about nothing." This just might be the only show ever that can legitimately be called a "show about something." The Wire reveals every other show for the superficial pap that it is.
  13. MartinM
    Mar 3, 2007
    The Wire is the best TV ever created.
  14. MattH
    Jun 8, 2007
    True dat. I'm from the UK and was tipped off on this. Unlike a lot of the 'top drawer' TV out there now this just gets better and better with each series. Apparently The Wire was written like a novel and series 5 will be the conclusion. How can anything ever better it?
  15. Dave
    Sep 1, 2007
    If Dostoyevsky was still alive - he would be writing for this show.
  16. AnnemarieK.
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fantastic, a brilliant drama that gets to the heart of the issues surrounding drugs and crime.
  17. SatoshiK.
    Jan 4, 2008
    "The Wire" is a diamond, no other show even comes close.
  18. CaddyC
    Jan 5, 2008
    The Wire is hands down the greatest televsion series of all time. The Sopranos didn't even come close. Anyone who argues this point obviously knows very little about acting, scripting, editing or directing. This is perfection.
  19. DavidA.
    Sep 16, 2008
    One word: BRILLIANT
  20. CharlesGill
    Nov 28, 2009
    The Best Show ever. Too bad there were no follow up on were some of the characters ended up. I hate this show ended I want more
  21. EsgoG
    Mar 6, 2009
    Controversy incarnated. Everything you do not approve of, you will love in the Wire. As realistic as real life thanks to some great slang, actors and on location shooting. My HBO favorite!
  22. TomH
    Oct 10, 2006
    I have watched this show from the beginning and I can only say that it is the best television show on today. The writing is first rate and the acting is even better. The stories will make you go through every emotion you have.
  23. duanebraun
    Nov 26, 2006
    this show is awaome and so realistic.my favorite show
  24. DorianP
    Dec 6, 2006
    Best Show ever I cant even think o f a movie I like more.
  25. StefanP
    Sep 10, 2006
    best show i have ever seen. goddamnit, i want to have intercourse with the people who conceptualized this program. it is the sweetest show ever created in the history of modern media. i motherfucking love the wire. god bless baltimore. titties. this show is titties.
  26. KevinW
    Sep 21, 2006
    I love the wire but you almost have to watch it from the first season. Unlike most shows "The Wire" isn't about the characters or the plot. The show is about Baltimore and "the game." So you have to watch it for that, but it makes the show even more enjoyable. Your favorite character who seems to be the spotlight of the show may be dead by the next episode and that just keeps you on I love the wire but you almost have to watch it from the first season. Unlike most shows "The Wire" isn't about the characters or the plot. The show is about Baltimore and "the game." So you have to watch it for that, but it makes the show even more enjoyable. Your favorite character who seems to be the spotlight of the show may be dead by the next episode and that just keeps you on your toes. Expand
  27. maryh
    Sep 21, 2006
    This is a show that requires patience and brains; all B story and a 13 episode story arc - unthinkable on "regular" channels. Characters with flaws, soul, issues and, best of all, great acting and incredible writing.
  28. LarToryaH
    Sep 25, 2006
    love this show it's the best thing on tv
  29. bigking
    Sep 29, 2006
    This is currently the best show on the air, period. Hard to think how they could improve it, except by making more episodes
  30. CO
    Sep 7, 2006
    I want to find something flawed in this show, but I just can't Perfect.

Despite high praise, there are two serious problems: (a) The first new episode is crazy confusing, and (b) over the course of the first batch of episodes, the story lines don't develop quickly enough.
    To me, what allows “The Wire” to surpass “The Sopranos” in the pantheon of greatest American TV shows is its ambition and its anger.
    This is TV as great modern literature, a shattering and heartbreaking urban epic about a city (Baltimore) rotting from within.