• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Jun 2, 2002
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
9.2

1. Oct 14, 2010
    I thought the WIRE was the best TV I'd ever seen - so it was really a shame to end on a low. The final WIRE season was a great disappointment. A number of well-known characters suddenly became two-dimensional and behaved in ways that were totally at odds with how their behaviour had built over previous seasons. New characters were introduced that did not show any depth (unlike in previous seasons, the newsroom crowd did not become real people, compared to say the dock crowd). The plot became unrealistic to the point of farce, and rushed. I wonder how much of this was down to creative exhaustion, and how much of it was down to the reduced series length (in terms of numbers of episodes). Yes, my expectations were very high. But I realise that if I had come to series 5 of the Wire before any of the others, I would have thought it was just another slightly hyper-real gritty cop show. Expand

While the police story line has never been stronger, the first seven episodes made available for preview contain nothing that matches the emotional power and sociological insight of the show at its best--namely the classroom scenes from Season 4.
  2. The episodes that kick off this last 10-show run don't feel perfect. But they almost always feel intuitively right.
  3. In these last innings, as The Wire ties up its gnarled threads, it also makes its most daring departure yet, introducing yet another institution, and a brand-new cast of characters to disappoint us.