The Wire : Season 5

• Series Premiere Date: Jun 2, 2002
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
9.2

1. May 11, 2013
    The Wire peaks in season four, which is flawless, and then it takes a slight dip in its fifth and final season. Don't get me wrong. This season is still better than almost anything else on television, but there are some unbelievable plot twists, and it feels more rushed than previous seasons. Still amazing, but not perfect.
  2. PaulT.
    Jan 6, 2008
    I thought "Lonesome Dove" was the best I'd seen on TV until "The Wire" came around. This is the only show I watch at broadcast time instead of later on a DVR.
  3. MMMS
    Jan 7, 2008
    For those who seek intellectual stimulation and depth, this is the best show on TV.
  4. MarkF.
    Feb 16, 2008
    This show is great on so many levels that it has set the standard to which all other shows are to be compared. The writing is great, and the actors have took ownership of the roles they were cast in. Pure genius. "Woe is to them that call evil good, and good evil" - Prop Joe
  5. GS.
    Jan 16, 2008
    This is the best show, bar none. The Wire is as real as it gets. No predictable, overly dramatized scripts here.
  6. MichaelM.
    Jan 9, 2008
    Best HBO series ever, that's right Sopranos, you heard me. I doubted and naysayed until season 4, but once I started watching I couldn't stop. If you aren't hooked by the end of the third episode in season 1, then I offer a full refund.
  7. MarloS.
    Feb 6, 2008
    As good as ever, particularly the cops and robbers-level plot. McNulty and Marlo eat up the screen.
  8. EricS.
    Jan 14, 2008
    I was born and raised in Baltimore and taught in the Baltimore school system. These first-hand experiences only heighten my respect for this series. While the stories are fictional, the depiction of them is truth. As television struggles to find its future, this series come closer than any other to realizing its potential.
  9. GarrettB.
    Jan 6, 2008
    Just watched the first episode. Brilliant as always. The negative reviewers have their head's shoved far where the sun doesn't shine.
  10. ChrisJ.
    Feb 15, 2008
    As brilliant as the previous seasons, and still far and away the best show on television. We don't get as much of the schools from season 4, but Omar is back with a vengeance as heroic villain, and McNulty is at his best again as tragic hero.
  11. Feb 28, 2011
    If I did a review for all five seasons, well, that seems like a lot of work. So, I'll just say, that this show is, easily, one of the best television series ever. The performances are all great, and the writing and direction in each episode is impeccable with a level or realism that could only be provided by him. Easily the best crime drama ever on television.
  12. Mar 13, 2012
    The most realistic thing I ever watched. Can't like any other show after watching The Wire. All the charaters are so real, they are like people you know from somewhere.
  13. Dec 19, 2013
    The Wire is in my top 3 favorite shows (Breaking Bad#1 Deadwood #2) Season 5 is a out of control...bad-ass crazy. It was a perfect ending to this classic series which has college courses about it. I can't say any season was better than the other because it all goes together ...Great Great!!! #TheWire
  14. Oct 6, 2011
    Since most said that it was the weakest season, I lowered my standards. And while I was within that mindset, I saw the concluding season. Just marvelous. These characters will be sorely missed.
  15. briank
    Jan 14, 2008
    This is the best show on TV PERIOD Nothing comes close, the Emmy's should be ashamed on themselves for snubbing this show. It crushes every other show on TV even Sopranos because unlike the Sopranos the Wire gets better with each season NOT WORSE! Season 4 was the best and no doubt season 5 will deliver too, so far it is great!
  16. RickS
    Aug 3, 2009
    While A FEW of the disparaging posts listed below make at least some relevant and coherent arguments, it's PREPOSTEROUS to give even the last, so-called weakest season of The Wire anything less than a 10/10. The only real fault of this season, all overwrought and haughty criticism aside, is that the show probably tried to do too much, especially given that the season was limited to While A FEW of the disparaging posts listed below make at least some relevant and coherent arguments, it's PREPOSTEROUS to give even the last, so-called weakest season of The Wire anything less than a 10/10. The only real fault of this season, all overwrought and haughty criticism aside, is that the show probably tried to do too much, especially given that the season was limited to ten episodes. The irony is palpable in statements like "the serial-killer storyline was unrealistic"; the show had built so much credibility in the previous seasons that McNulty's transgressions were a bit far-fetched, even though no one would have admitted as much while they watched these brilliant final episodes. In the end, the major themes like the system's immovability and the ultimate triumph of evil despite the existence of nobility all rang true as much as ever. This show takes its rightful place atop all others in that its STORY was so massively complex yet succinctly coherent. It redefined drama, and turned the dial to "eleven". Expand
  17. JudyT
    Mar 11, 2008
    Unsatisfying ending to a difficult to watch series. I have really only kept up with it because I love Clarke Johnson and anything he is in.
  18. BunkM.
    Feb 2, 2008
    New world, new issues. Here's hoping for a strong finish.
  19. RayW.
    Feb 7, 2008
    If you are looking for convention and safety in your tv entertainment you'll be disappointed, the wire offers the sort of hard fought rewards usually found in great novels. it compares well to anything of the last 20 years (including movies), and i think it will stand the test over the next 20 years too.
  20. HarryS.
    Jan 7, 2008
    Season five seamlessly integrates yet another beautifully realized, dysfunctional, depressing (and yet often hilarious) aspect of Baltimore city life. And even if you think the newsroom doesn't carry the same emotional punch of the schools story arc from season 4, it's still equally relevant, and further serves the show's purpose, namely, telling the story of the decline of Season five seamlessly integrates yet another beautifully realized, dysfunctional, depressing (and yet often hilarious) aspect of Baltimore city life. And even if you think the newsroom doesn't carry the same emotional punch of the schools story arc from season 4, it's still equally relevant, and further serves the show's purpose, namely, telling the story of the decline of an American city. From the corners to the precincts to the docks to the schools to the newsdesk, "it's all connected." It's not TV. It's not even HBO. Simply put, it's one of mankind's greatest artistic achievements. Okay, have I overhyped it enough for you yet? Expand
  21. NateS.
    Jan 7, 2008
    There's been so much critical hype for this show that people might be skeptical, but it really is fantastic. You also might be fooled into thinking it's preachy or too depressing. It's not at all; it's engrossing and exciting and funny and smart.
  22. BrianB.
    Jan 7, 2008
    There's simply never been anything better. Unfortunately, it's complex and it scares away new viewers, but for those who rent the DVDs and get caught up, it will change the way the think about the "art" of television.
  23. AkinA.
    Jan 7, 2008
    Greatest show in TV history.
  24. MeyunnD.
    Jan 7, 2008
    Off to a great start!!!! Keep it coming and PLEASE don't end like the Sopranos.
  25. DavidL
    Feb 9, 2008
    Absolutely the best show on television. To be honest, season 4 was such an outstanding season (in a show filled with stellar seasons) that I wasn't sure how good the final season would be once I heard the storyline. To my surprise, after the first 7 episodes it's the same Wire that makes it hard to ever feel good about watching any other show. It just sets the bar so high, that Absolutely the best show on television. To be honest, season 4 was such an outstanding season (in a show filled with stellar seasons) that I wasn't sure how good the final season would be once I heard the storyline. To my surprise, after the first 7 episodes it's the same Wire that makes it hard to ever feel good about watching any other show. It just sets the bar so high, that when you hear about shows like Prison Break, and "Lost" and people talking about how good they are, you can't help but chuckle. I've never found a person who hasn't been hooked on the Wire after watching five or more episodes. It can take that long to get into and comprehend what's going on, but it's absolutely worth it. It's going to be sad once this season ends. I don't know if there will ever be a better show on television anytime in the upcoming decades. It's that good. Expand
  26. JamesT.
    Mar 16, 2008
    The best of the best that tv ever had to offer, even when measured against season 4, season 5 though not as strong, is just as great
  27. EricG.
    Mar 26, 2008
    Best show ever on tv completing its tale.
  28. LesleyW.
    Mar 5, 2008
    Bar none, the best show on TV - ever!
  29. TarikT
    Aug 27, 2008
    It's a shame this show in the previous seasons never won an Emmy. Just shows you the stupidity of what the general consensus calls "Good TV" McNulty is the man.
  30. MiguelG.
    Jan 10, 2008
    The best series that ever existed. Nothing vome close to the complexity of The Wire.

While the police story line has never been stronger, the first seven episodes made available for preview contain nothing that matches the emotional power and sociological insight of the show at its best--namely the classroom scenes from Season 4.
  2. The episodes that kick off this last 10-show run don't feel perfect. But they almost always feel intuitively right.
  3. In these last innings, as The Wire ties up its gnarled threads, it also makes its most daring departure yet, introducing yet another institution, and a brand-new cast of characters to disappoint us.