• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Jun 2, 2002
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
9.2

1. Sep 9, 2010
    Believe the hype-- this is probably one of the most engaging shows ever put on air. If you are thinking it couldn't possibly stand up alongside all the hyperbole, just give it a chance and watch the first season.
  2. Oct 6, 2011
    Since most said that it was the weakest season, I lowered my standards. And while I was within that mindset, I saw the concluding season. Just marvelous. These characters will be sorely missed.
  3. Feb 28, 2011
    If I did a review for all five seasons, well, that seems like a lot of work. So, I'll just say, that this show is, easily, one of the best television series ever. The performances are all great, and the writing and direction in each episode is impeccable with a level or realism that could only be provided by him. Easily the best crime drama ever on television.
  4. Mar 3, 2012
    I've watched many, many television shows, and I can confidently affirm that The Wire is by far the greatest achievement in the history of TV. I won't bother typing up a long and well thought-out review because I'm sure the previous users have done a fair enough job of describing this show, but I will say this: no other television series compares to The Wire, and it will be a long timeI've watched many, many television shows, and I can confidently affirm that The Wire is by far the greatest achievement in the history of TV. I won't bother typing up a long and well thought-out review because I'm sure the previous users have done a fair enough job of describing this show, but I will say this: no other television series compares to The Wire, and it will be a long time before another one does. Expand
  5. Mar 13, 2012
    The most realistic thing I ever watched. Can't like any other show after watching The Wire. All the charaters are so real, they are like people you know from somewhere.
  6. Jun 13, 2012
    The last season is very simple and I say that as a high praise. It comes full circle back to the beginning of the first season. You can see clearly the outline of a new cycle of stories, some people following the path of others before them and some people branching out into the unknown.
    Many people will like one season more than another, because the themes covered are often different. But I think what most people enjoy in the Wire is how it elevates our understanding of any one theme by linking its causes and effects to so many other themes. A true work of Art and Sociology.
  7. Jul 23, 2012
    Hope series like this wont be just remembered like the, lets say, the Hippie era. Wish to see more. It keeps the point of antithesis strong and alive, especially in times like ours, we need it.
  8. Dec 19, 2013
    The Wire is in my top 3 favorite shows (Breaking Bad#1 Deadwood #2) Season 5 is a out of control...bad-ass crazy. It was a perfect ending to this classic series which has college courses about it. I can't say any season was better than the other because it all goes together ...Great Great!!! #TheWire
  9. Oct 18, 2013
    THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE THE BEST SHOW EVER MADE. And son always remember......

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.
    -Clay Davis.
  10. Jul 19, 2013
    simply the standard by which all other shows are judged. i have the sopranos slightly higher, but the wire holds quality quite well throughout and the quality is simply incredible. this is the story of a city told from the ground up. the first season is a dive into an immense world that just keeps getting deeper and deeper until you realise we are all part of the world beyond the wire andsimply the standard by which all other shows are judged. i have the sopranos slightly higher, but the wire holds quality quite well throughout and the quality is simply incredible. this is the story of a city told from the ground up. the first season is a dive into an immense world that just keeps getting deeper and deeper until you realise we are all part of the world beyond the wire and yet the city rolls on.

this first season is judged on its own merits, easily a 10, and no amount of idiot middle class who love it because they were told to, despite never seeing the show, or counter counter culture descreditors are going to make me forget that.

1 is a ten based on its own merits.
    the series is a 10 based on its own merits.
    the weaker seasons are a 10 based on the fact they are that much better than anything else on tv, at what they do, with a very few key exceptions.

a worthy end to the series. slight issues with the press story and some real butthurt in the plots callous disregard for audience satisfaction.

goes out ganster style on its own merits, an incredible and almost peerless piece of work.

9.5 rounded up.
  11. Dec 7, 2013
    Best show EVER. So upset that it's finished, but they ended it very well. I'm going to miss these characters so much, especially bubs and omar. Bubs' story really touched me, he was definitely one of my favorite characters.
  12. Mar 3, 2013
    As with previous years this new season of The Wire sees a shift in focus and this time around it is the role of the press. To be completely honest this new focus is never quite as interesting as the look at the school system from Season Four but the brilliant writing and superb performances continue to make The Wire unmissable viewing throughout these final ten episodes. By the time itAs with previous years this new season of The Wire sees a shift in focus and this time around it is the role of the press. To be completely honest this new focus is never quite as interesting as the look at the school system from Season Four but the brilliant writing and superb performances continue to make The Wire unmissable viewing throughout these final ten episodes. By the time it reaches its fitting conclusion most viewers will realise they are seeing the end of something special. Expand
  13. May 11, 2013
    The Wire peaks in season four, which is flawless, and then it takes a slight dip in its fifth and final season. Don't get me wrong. This season is still better than almost anything else on television, but there are some unbelievable plot twists, and it feels more rushed than previous seasons. Still amazing, but not perfect.
  14. May 13, 2014
    The Wire is without question the best thing ever created. That being said, season 5, although better than everything on tv, is the worst of the 5 seasons. I still loved it though.
  15. Feb 23, 2011
    The Wire is without a doubt the best T.V Show ever. However this season is frankly the weakest of the four. All four seasons preceding this one had a great character(s) that really strung you along through the season, McNulty and D', Sobotka, Stringer, The Kids. This season I didn't get that feeling, and although the Hamsterdam plotline was slightly far-fetched, the homeless killings was aThe Wire is without a doubt the best T.V Show ever. However this season is frankly the weakest of the four. All four seasons preceding this one had a great character(s) that really strung you along through the season, McNulty and D', Sobotka, Stringer, The Kids. This season I didn't get that feeling, and although the Hamsterdam plotline was slightly far-fetched, the homeless killings was a bridge to far. The Wire thrives on verisimilitude, but it was just off this season. I loved the Bubbles storyline, and my god Marlo is just fantastic. But I just didn't love Tommy, the newspaper or even McNulty. It was disappointing to see the show slide from its brilliance.

What I can't understand is users giving this a red rating, get the **** off whatever you are smoking. ratings like that are reserved for thing like America's Next Top Model, I get that your unhappy that it lost some of its charm, but it is not a 2/10
  16. Sep 8, 2012
    An average end to a great show. The most troublesome arc was Mcnulty's. The Mcnulty we saw from throughout last season was a satisfying conclusion to his character I think. It is hard for me to figure that the writers disagree since they brought him all the way back around to where he was. Then to top it off his colleagues give him a send off worthy of the smart determined detective we sawAn average end to a great show. The most troublesome arc was Mcnulty's. The Mcnulty we saw from throughout last season was a satisfying conclusion to his character I think. It is hard for me to figure that the writers disagree since they brought him all the way back around to where he was. Then to top it off his colleagues give him a send off worthy of the smart determined detective we saw throughout this series. Certainly not the criminal,bungling police he became in this season. Compound that with the chicken fight he gets into with an equally criminal reporter, and you have by far the worst story arc of this series. They did some things right with certain characters this season, most notably Marlo and Bubbles. Also introducing a new character, Gus, who I wish we could have seen in a better story line. The newspaper angle had the potential to be very good, I wish it would have lived up to it. Plenty of shows have gone one season too long, that is my opinion of what happened to The Wire. But when I remember this show, i will remember the glory days, and the plethora of great characters that ran through this series. Expand
  17. Oct 14, 2010
    I thought the WIRE was the best TV I'd ever seen - so it was really a shame to end on a low. The final WIRE season was a great disappointment. A number of well-known characters suddenly became two-dimensional and behaved in ways that were totally at odds with how their behaviour had built over previous seasons. New characters were introduced that did not show any depth (unlike in previousI thought the WIRE was the best TV I'd ever seen - so it was really a shame to end on a low. The final WIRE season was a great disappointment. A number of well-known characters suddenly became two-dimensional and behaved in ways that were totally at odds with how their behaviour had built over previous seasons. New characters were introduced that did not show any depth (unlike in previous seasons, the newsroom crowd did not become real people, compared to say the dock crowd). The plot became unrealistic to the point of farce, and rushed. I wonder how much of this was down to creative exhaustion, and how much of it was down to the reduced series length (in terms of numbers of episodes). Yes, my expectations were very high. But I realise that if I had come to series 5 of the Wire before any of the others, I would have thought it was just another slightly hyper-real gritty cop show. Expand

While the police story line has never been stronger, the first seven episodes made available for preview contain nothing that matches the emotional power and sociological insight of the show at its best--namely the classroom scenes from Season 4.
  2. The episodes that kick off this last 10-show run don't feel perfect. But they almost always feel intuitively right.
  3. In these last innings, as The Wire ties up its gnarled threads, it also makes its most daring departure yet, introducing yet another institution, and a brand-new cast of characters to disappoint us.