The X Factor : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 21, 2011
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 11, 12
5.7

1. Sep 23, 2011
    I don't know what makes this show think it is better than American Idol. Yeah, I'm tired of American Idol and its horrible judging and talentless winners, but X Factor is not adding anything new. The audition process is nothing different other than the fact that there is an audience. The only noticeable difference are the new classifying groups and while this change does lower theI don't know what makes this show think it is better than American Idol. Yeah, I'm tired of American Idol and its horrible judging and talentless winners, but X Factor is not adding anything new. The audition process is nothing different other than the fact that there is an audience. The only noticeable difference are the new classifying groups and while this change does lower the discrimination and opens doors for some, it adds little excitement to the entertainment value. I thought Simon would provide some much needed judging to the table, but he proves to be lackluster so far. Nicole Scherzinger should not even be a judge on the show. Too many commercial breaks and sob stories also lower the appeal of the show. Collapse
  2. Sep 22, 2011
    disappointed by the first episode. i thought it would be great in every aspect but it turn out to be weaker version of the voice + American idol. the production clearly not focusing on the talent but once again on the fame chaser people. for the judges, it is clearly a wrong move kicking out cheryl. reid proved to be a good judge to me alongside paula and simon. nicole need to step it up.
  3. Oct 13, 2011
    Being a massive fan of the U.K X-Factor, i must say I was quite surprised about this show. And not in a very positive way. I might be biased for having seen all of the previous UK X-factor seasons, but this show lacks something. It all happens way to fast, from the judging, to the contestants getting through or not, it looks like it was edited on the top of someone's knee in rush. ItBeing a massive fan of the U.K X-Factor, i must say I was quite surprised about this show. And not in a very positive way. I might be biased for having seen all of the previous UK X-factor seasons, but this show lacks something. It all happens way to fast, from the judging, to the contestants getting through or not, it looks like it was edited on the top of someone's knee in rush. It lacks the dept of the UK version, which actually manages to focus on the fame chase AND the talent. And i must honestly say that removing Cheryl Cole from the show was by far the worst decision Simon Cowell made; she actually added something to the show, she is fresh, current, and despite the fact that she isn't the best singer, she actually has the eye for this type of competition, and actually handles her own against megalomaniac Simon. It's still a good show, but at this point it stands below The Voice and American Idol. It needs to get down to show less of the futility and more about the thrive to achieve dreams. Expand
  4. Jan 16, 2014
    Both the original UK and US versions of The X-Factor have involved a number of talented artists and some of the cover versions sung of the show have been very good. Unfortunately, as with most other modern TV talent shows, its primary objective is to make money not produce artists that will go on to create original music in the future, something that pretty much sums up the state of modernBoth the original UK and US versions of The X-Factor have involved a number of talented artists and some of the cover versions sung of the show have been very good. Unfortunately, as with most other modern TV talent shows, its primary objective is to make money not produce artists that will go on to create original music in the future, something that pretty much sums up the state of modern pop music.

If there is nothing else on I'll occasionally tune in as there is usually a good performance or two to be seen but I detest what this sort of thing stands for.
  5. Jan 6, 2012
    Despite several big flaws, the first season was overall enjoyable. Drew, Astro, Amaro, Krajcik, and Bell proved to be the highlight contestants. Hopefully, someone else is sitting in Scherzinger's judging seat for Season 2.

1. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 28, 2011
    The talent is good, and on the long road to announcing a top 16, the show expertly milking every drop of pathos. [24 Oct 2011, p.39]
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Sep 22, 2011
    And so it goes. The same mix of sob stories, as anxious relatives looking on from the wings. And if there's not quite a Susan Boyle or Paul Potts moment (though one in particular comes reasonably close), the tears flow freely, and one or two genuinely stirring performances emerge.
  3. Reviewed by: Ellen Gray
    Sep 21, 2011
    While The X Factor may not on the surface offer anything that can't be found on "Idol," "America's Got Talent" and "The Voice" or their many cable imitators, it does have a level of showmanship that makes me want to believe again, whether it's in 13-year-olds who sing like established stars three times their age or in recovering addicts whose lives just may be about to change forever.