The X-Files : Season 10

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 10, 1993
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
7.6

1. Jan 25, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Color me seriously disappointed. Rather than building on the air of mystery which made the X-Files so interesting to watch in its early days, the first episode of this short season fills airtime with pseudo-scientific jargon completely irrelevant to its plot and re-hashing past themes and throwing out unnecessary plot twists such as the fact that CGB Spender isn't dead and... oh wait, aliens might not be real. AGAIN. I can see so many ways this episode and story-line could have been tweaked to better it and modern without getting all 9/11-truther on us. Mulder and Scully's characters get some fill-in story for the gap but are not really further developed in any way that makes them more interesting. It's poorly conceived fan-service at worst, a poorly executed set up for a hopefully better season at best. Expand
  2. Feb 1, 2016
    Campy self-parody and low (aka cheap) production values. A big disappointment. I can sense Scully and Mulder chuckling over the ludicrous scripts and the monsters that are just too overt to be interesting. Bad idea to resurrect this show with such a deplorable template.
  3. Feb 2, 2016
    I'll never really understand metacritics basis on which they rate tv shows. It seems to me they rate the first episode and the rest of the season is ignored. Yes, the first episode wasn't amazing, but the following 2 have been fantastic. Especially the 3rd. I mean that 3rd episode is worthy of a 10. I really honestly hope they make more after this short season.
  4. Jan 27, 2016
    Another great example of the lack of original ideas these days, along comes X-Files and even more fan-service nostalgia bombing. The first episode was one part catch up, one part infodump, and entirely hokey and predictable. The second episode was a typical monster-of-the-week that would be fine in a full season but is clearly just filler to pad time. Gillian Anderson looks like sheAnother great example of the lack of original ideas these days, along comes X-Files and even more fan-service nostalgia bombing. The first episode was one part catch up, one part infodump, and entirely hokey and predictable. The second episode was a typical monster-of-the-week that would be fine in a full season but is clearly just filler to pad time. Gillian Anderson looks like she doesn't want to be here playing Scully again - she's wooden, boring, pretty much checked out thinking about something else.

The X-Files should have stayed closed. Anyone who thinks this is good TV is blinded by nostalgia goggles. I can't wait for the day people realize they're being played by an industry bankrupt of ideas so they're limited to rehashing or rebooting old franchises to get eyeballs for their advertisers.
  5. Feb 1, 2016
    If there's one way to sum up the return of one of the greatest sci-fi/mystery shows, it's bad writing. The plot moves way too quickly and a lot of things just don't make any logical sense. The dialogue is pretty bad a lot of the time and sounds out of place. The leaps and connections that certain characters make about the overarching conspiracy plot are silly and ridiculous. The mysteryIf there's one way to sum up the return of one of the greatest sci-fi/mystery shows, it's bad writing. The plot moves way too quickly and a lot of things just don't make any logical sense. The dialogue is pretty bad a lot of the time and sounds out of place. The leaps and connections that certain characters make about the overarching conspiracy plot are silly and ridiculous. The mystery that the show is known for is dispelled with too much information being revealed.

I think it's worth giving it a chance until the end of the season since it is only 6 episodes long, but if it's the same quality then it's not worth watching.
  6. Feb 8, 2016
    this show is awesome i really hope they make another season after this. i can't wait until next weeks episode comes on but i am getting sad already that its almost over already. 6 episodes just isn't enough!
  7. Feb 9, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If I was writing this review based on the first two episodes of the new X-Files re-boot, I might have given the show a lower rating. I am a huge fan and I thought that the tone of the pilot was way too dark and even dour... while it was slickly done and good in its own right.... it just wasn't much fun and the wit and banter between the main characters (that I loved in the old show) were severely stunted. However..... the third episode made up for my complaints, and much more! The dialog was fantastic and it contained references to other films (I don't want to give anything away.... but even the title of the show eludes to this fact - if you are too young, you might not get some of the references....) and TV shows that were making me howl! The episode was beyond funny and explored Mulder's self doubt and even what it is to be a human being. It was absolutely brilliant and I hope to see more of episodes that are so well thought out. Bravo Fox for bring this classic show back in style.... hoping desperately for more than six episodes! Expand
  8. Feb 10, 2016
    Now we're 4 episodes done on a 6-part mini-series.... It's time for a review.

Now we're 4 episodes done on a 6-part mini-series.... It's time for a review.

When I first heard that there was to be a mini-series follow up to the X-Files show, featuring Mulder and Scully back in business together, I was ecstatic. The X-Files was, for me, a defining piece of televisual entertainment. OK, the monster-of-the-week storylines that made up the bulk of the show tended to vary in quality immensely, but they were just the small parts of narrative and exposition that took us to the really meaty episodes.

The Alien Mythology Arc, detailing how the US government (and other Governments around the world) have hidden their knowledge of aliens and their actions, and their plans to colonize Earth.
    The abductions, crop circles, reverse-engineered technologies, DNA-splicing experiments, the insidious 'black liquid' and all the machinations of the men in that elite secret cabal who Mulder seeks to expose.

With that in mind, and that there is only going to be 6 episodes in what may (and I do mean may, as the ratings for the show have in no way guaranteed a second mini-series) be a standalone mini-series, I was hoping for the narrative to concentrate on what everyone really wants to see.
    The opening episode did fulfill that promise, with Mulder and Scully being thrown back into an Alien related tale, with Deputy Director Skinner back behind his desk, and the Cigarette Smoking Man making a brief cameo at the end.... It looked like the X-Files 'ride' was going to be a good one!

However, episode 2 quickly reverted to a standard whodunit involving a plot that (naturally) can't be rationally explained.... Episode 3 was a broad comedy, featuring a 'hilarious' creature who has morphed into a human and doesn't understand the modern world... Episode 4 feels more 'old school' X-Files, but destroys any credibility the storyline had earnt, by coming up with a nonsensical explanation for what was occurring...

It's disappointing. If you're going to make a 6 part mini-series, and you have actors who aren't willing to sign up to a full 24+ episode season, then concentrate the narrative(s) on what people actually want to see. It's not like the younger audience of today will be transfixed by what they're seeing, and the fact the audience for episodes 3&4 is roughly half that of episode 1 kind of proves that point.

I just really, really, really, REALLY hope the sixth episode doesn't end with some Alien Mythology related 'cliffhanger'.... That would piss me off immensely!!!
  9. Mar 7, 2016
    X Files season 10 was just a mini series. X-File's fans were really happy to see both Agent Mulder and Scully back in action. It was just a gift for the fans. The main plot episodes were interesting to watch. But the filler episodes where not like we were expecting. But anyhow any X-Filer will really enjoy.... nostalgia !
  10. Jan 24, 2016
    A very solid return to the series. As a fan, it was wonderful to see David Duchovny, Gillian Andersen, and Mitch Pileggi return. They felt like their characters. I feel that the performances were stronger than in the original series - perhaps because of how comfortable the actors are and how seasoned they now are. There were subtle glances, slight movements of the body or the face thatA very solid return to the series. As a fan, it was wonderful to see David Duchovny, Gillian Andersen, and Mitch Pileggi return. They felt like their characters. I feel that the performances were stronger than in the original series - perhaps because of how comfortable the actors are and how seasoned they now are. There were subtle glances, slight movements of the body or the face that told so much subtext, even from stone-faced Duchovny.
    I knocked it down two points because the story feels a bit forced. It feels a bit too convenient. Mulder is simply to quick to suddenly believe Joel McHale's character (who is also very good in the show). I have to simply suspend my disbelief and go along for the ride and see where the next five episodes take me. Even if they are only as good as the pilot, I will still be quite happy. I just hope that the story justifies Mulder's readiness to jump back into the X-Files as right now, it feels a bit contrived.
  11. Jan 27, 2016
    This doesn't quite live up to the expectations of the older show and tries to do too many things too quickly. Could have used more episodes instead of just 6. Can't have everything, Ash vs Evil Dead was a pretty good reboot. Hopefully they'll let them do more episodes next season.
  12. Jan 24, 2016
    A wonderful return of the X Files to the small screen. Although there were some slight hiccups with Fox's transfer of programming from the NFC Championship game in my area, overall, the show was a breath of fresh air concerning FOX. Fox has certainly struggled through the latest television season, and the X Files is still definitely their heavy hitter. Looking forward to a lot more fromA wonderful return of the X Files to the small screen. Although there were some slight hiccups with Fox's transfer of programming from the NFC Championship game in my area, overall, the show was a breath of fresh air concerning FOX. Fox has certainly struggled through the latest television season, and the X Files is still definitely their heavy hitter. Looking forward to a lot more from Mulder and Scully, who stepped right back into their roles with little effort and superb chemistry. This FBI duo STILL HAVE IT!!!!! Expand
  13. Jan 27, 2016
    After the first two hours I'm really enjoying new X-Files. No idea why the critic reviews have been so iffy. As a fan it's great to the see the show back in top form.
  14. Feb 2, 2016
    As a loyal fan, I will stay tuned no matter how lousy the plot. I just wish that the writers/producers would realize the potential here. There is no need to create new monsters week in and week out. Finishing one story before moving on to the next might be a good place to start.
  15. Jan 25, 2016
    The plot is illogical and unfolds with unnatural speed. They don't even try to play with X-files mythology. In the very first episode they dump everything they had. It's looks like scriptwriters were forced to ruin the spirit and mystery of 9 previous seasons.
    The play of Duchovny and Anderson is also not really enjoyable. Both look like old sad wooden dolls with frozen lips who can't even talk normally.
    I hope in future episodes they will do better than this. They are in a good spot to add value to the legendary series, rather than just capitalizing on people's nostalgia.
  16. Jan 25, 2016
    I found myself really enjoying the return of X Files. What worked before, works again. The two leads haven't lost a step and still have a charged energy between them that flips between positive and negative but is always there. The new faces add interest and the duplicity of the new characters means we never quite know who is lying to whom and we suspect that Mulder is not the expertI found myself really enjoying the return of X Files. What worked before, works again. The two leads haven't lost a step and still have a charged energy between them that flips between positive and negative but is always there. The new faces add interest and the duplicity of the new characters means we never quite know who is lying to whom and we suspect that Mulder is not the expert everyone claims but possibly the most gullible to new theories. Can't wait to see more episodes and truly hope that this is the beginning of a larger effort to put the show back into semi-regular production. As Captain America:Winter Soldier proved, this is a great time for stories about paranoia and distrust of our governments. We have been lied to by the current administration on so many levels that we don't know who to trust. This sucks, but it's also fertile ground for series like X-Files to have some fun with. Expand
  17. Jan 25, 2016
    Successful reboot. I am seeing a lot of negative critic's reviews on the Internet but I think they are undeserved. I sincerely hope there is going to be more than 6 episodes in the future. They managed to revive everything this show is about - dark suspense, curiosity, conspiracy and fictional science. The characters hold strong and are even more realistic as they aged a bit.
  18. Jan 25, 2016
    It's great to have them back! The usual plot holes and bad dialogue but this show is always entertaining and the two leads are as great as ever. Nice to see The Smoking Man is involved as well! Promising start.
  19. Jan 26, 2016
    I don't know what the critics are going on about. Season 10 started off on the right foot back into it's grand sense of paranoia and conspiracies. Since the season is a mere 6 episode affair there's no time for the slow burn build up of story. There's fresh faces along for the ride with the familiar. At a minimum it's good to know Hank Moody found solace as a Special Agent.
  20. Mar 22, 2016
    Well, I thought, upon completing the first episode of the rebooted The X-Files, it was inevitable. The desperate gambit to revive any show that can be revived, from Twin Peaks to Full House, was destined to ruin something—if not everything—and The X-Files just happens to be the first beloved TV show to come back to life as a flaming dud. With the eerie shimmy of the credit sequence stillWell, I thought, upon completing the first episode of the rebooted The X-Files, it was inevitable. The desperate gambit to revive any show that can be revived, from Twin Peaks to Full House, was destined to ruin something—if not everything—and The X-Files just happens to be the first beloved TV show to come back to life as a flaming dud. With the eerie shimmy of the credit sequence still sounding in my ears, I wondered if this was not a merciless kind of justice. Reboots are a shameless and cynical attempt to grab ratings and attention. If they succeed, we get more of a thing we already had enough of, which we get excited about because it is the human condition to not grok the concept of “enough.” If they fail, they undermine the integrity of the original and our fond memories of it. (Assuming those fond memories had survived The X-Files’ long, incoherent final years in the first place.) Look, the truth is out there and it is hot garbage. It seemed to me there was something so definitive about this that even perpetual searcher Fox Mulder—jolted out of the deep cryosleep of fictional beings because that other Fox, the network, needed some buzz—could appreciate it.

Then, feeling diligent, I watched the other two available episodes. The third one was pretty cute and funny. What had I been saying? Yay! The X-Files is back!!

But about that painful first episode. The X-Files picks up in the present day, some 13 years after the FBI shut down the X-Files, the department investigating paranormal activity run by true believer Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and part-time skeptic Dr. Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson). In voiceover, Mulder swiftly asserts that he is still a broken record stuck on the song “UFO Crackpot.” He’s still asking questions like “Are [UFO sightings] really a hoax?” and “Are we truly alone?” It seems that nothing has changed—except everything has. It all has all gotten unbelievably janky.

The X-Files, like all great conspiracies, drew much of its power from the way it fractured and reset real events, using bits and pieces of accepted history to bulwark a dark, alternate reality. Like all great conspiracies, its power was not so much in being perfectly explanatory, but in being perfectly paranoid: It had a great, contagious style. The first episode of the new season updates and recasts The X-Files conspiracy as one of class warfare—What if the 0.001 percent had alien technology?—which has a certain timely ideological swag to it.

Even Mulder and Scully’s much vaunted chemistry, all barely suppressed fizz, has gone inert. “The X-Files is closed. We’ve moved on, for better or worse,” Scully tells Tad. “Yes, we have,” Mulder says, before taking a meaningful pause and looking at Scully with shameless puppy dog eyes while repeating, “for better or worse.” The coyness around their relationship, once so provocative and thrilling, now feels like a contrived put-on. Mulder and Scully are middle-aged soul mates who lived together for years: It is not plausible that they wouldn’t speak to each other more openly. Their entendre-filled conversations seem to be strictly dummied up for the audience. I’d rather see them kiss.

But as most devoted X-philes would tell you, the mythology episodes of the series were never the best ones anyway. After the catastrophe of the first episode come two self-contained installments, each improving on the one that came before. In the first, Mulder and Scully investigate a creepy tech-genius, known as “the founder,” working with children who have rare genetic conditions and/or exposure to alien DNA. It’s less stilted than the first episode, but still weighed down by extraterrestrial baggage.
  21. Feb 2, 2016
    First episode was a huge disappointment. But wait! Things got way better in the second episode. You can in fact just safely skip the first one. The second episode I would give a 7/10 rating. But I did not expect it to get much better, after all it is x-files and old actors and stuff. But then came episode 3 which was truly amazing and deserves 10/10 points. It may be not your usual x-filesFirst episode was a huge disappointment. But wait! Things got way better in the second episode. You can in fact just safely skip the first one. The second episode I would give a 7/10 rating. But I did not expect it to get much better, after all it is x-files and old actors and stuff. But then came episode 3 which was truly amazing and deserves 10/10 points. It may be not your usual x-files episode. But everything in it is just perfect. I hope they can keep up with the quality in the forthcoming episodes. Expand
  22. Jan 25, 2016
    I liked the opening, retelling the audience the history, a re-brief of sorts. Then the show jumped too much with too much information to try and get the X-files up and running again. I would have preferred a slower build up (and aircraft shown AND destroyed in same episode is what frustrated me in the first series...show something and take it away too fast...but that sets the conspiracy II liked the opening, retelling the audience the history, a re-brief of sorts. Then the show jumped too much with too much information to try and get the X-files up and running again. I would have preferred a slower build up (and aircraft shown AND destroyed in same episode is what frustrated me in the first series...show something and take it away too fast...but that sets the conspiracy I guess)
    But, I know this is 6 episodes, so I guess they have to get the pace going. I am going to predict here that Mulder will disappear or die, and that Joel McCale will take over for Season 2.
  23. Feb 19, 2016
    the episodes are plain bad, both main actors Anderson and Duchovny seems they are not even trying, I'm not sure if it's because they are old or the script is so bad that make everything look cheap and poorly crafted.
  24. Jan 25, 2016
    The brilliance of the early X Files was that you were always given just enough information in the conspiracy episodes to keep watching the conspiracy episodes. None of it was ever really explained--and in the later seasons when the writers tried to give the audience the answers they wanted--it didn't work, because there weren't any answers to begin with. This addendum is a lot of funThe brilliance of the early X Files was that you were always given just enough information in the conspiracy episodes to keep watching the conspiracy episodes. None of it was ever really explained--and in the later seasons when the writers tried to give the audience the answers they wanted--it didn't work, because there weren't any answers to begin with. This addendum is a lot of fun though, if you like nostalgia. I was hoping they would be the monster of the week variety--but they are conspiracy based instead. Know what you're getting into ahead of time and you will probably enjoy yourself. Duchovny and Anderson are terrific regardless of my problems with the show. Expand
  25. Feb 12, 2016
    Why in gods name would they recreate the same stupid conspiratorial story line that never ends? Both actors must have been in dire straits financially or career wise to agree to coming back to this mess. Even the opening is using the exact same stupid font "the truth is 'never' out there." Chris Carters story is bunk. It's old. It's dumb. And I'm sure they're going to bring back Dumb,Why in gods name would they recreate the same stupid conspiratorial story line that never ends? Both actors must have been in dire straits financially or career wise to agree to coming back to this mess. Even the opening is using the exact same stupid font "the truth is 'never' out there." Chris Carters story is bunk. It's old. It's dumb. And I'm sure they're going to bring back Dumb, Dumber, and Dumberer otherwise known as The Lone Gunmen. I just can't. Watching the same thing for 1 more season is not worth my time. If they'd done 22 episodes of non-conspiracy, stories...I'd gladly watch. Expand
  26. Feb 3, 2016
    I agree that it's hard to "metacritic" this series because an okay episode can be followed by a brilliant one (or vice versa, as far back as in season one, the brilliant "Ice" followed by the meh "Space"...), and Darin Morgan's Were-monster episode echoes the great episodes he wrote (Jose Chung's From Outer Space, War of the Coprophages, etc) years ago that turned the X Files episodeI agree that it's hard to "metacritic" this series because an okay episode can be followed by a brilliant one (or vice versa, as far back as in season one, the brilliant "Ice" followed by the meh "Space"...), and Darin Morgan's Were-monster episode echoes the great episodes he wrote (Jose Chung's From Outer Space, War of the Coprophages, etc) years ago that turned the X Files episode inside out. The title alone "Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-Monster", is like the old Abbott and Costello comedies that the pair churned out. I don't want to give anything away, but if Rhys Darby doesn't get some kind of award recognition for his supporting role, there's no justice. Expand
  27. Jan 29, 2016
    Assessment relay 10:
    They are there after more than 10 years again and obviously aged. However, this does not interfere and one is glad them returns.
    The tenth relay begins with the mediocre first episode. Mulder and Scully are not fetched back and, otherwise, passed a lot. 70% Result 2: Act X like one it loves. It delivers a good story and Mulder and Scully deliver like once a good
    Assessment relay 10:
    Result 2: Act X like one it loves. It delivers a good story and Mulder and Scully deliver like once a good achievement. The case is more realistic and does not act, fortunately, too much from aliens. 85%
  28. Mar 17, 2016
    Being a huge fan of The X-Files I was excited as anybody for the return of Mulder and Scully but, to be honest, none of these six new episodes can compare to the best the show had to offer in its 200+ episode original run. The episodes aren't completely without merit but some awkward dialogue and problems with pacing means that its rarely as entertaining to watch as it was in its primeBeing a huge fan of The X-Files I was excited as anybody for the return of Mulder and Scully but, to be honest, none of these six new episodes can compare to the best the show had to offer in its 200+ episode original run. The episodes aren't completely without merit but some awkward dialogue and problems with pacing means that its rarely as entertaining to watch as it was in its prime and, events that the writers clearly want us to feel are important, have a curios lack of weight or depth. It was nice to see one of my favourite partnerships on screen again but it’s hard to imagine fans of the show bothering to rewatch much of this new series alongside their favourites from the 90's.

Oh well…. At least Gillian Anderson still looks good.
  29. Feb 3, 2016
    The first two episodes were nice enough, but episode three, oh my, that was terrrrrrible! It's much more a poor comedy show, rather than an exciting series, exploring the supernatural. Get your **** together X-Files, you might loose a fan very soon!
  30. Feb 23, 2016
    Well i'm going to start saying that i've never expected a new X Files season due the second movie sucked so hard on my opinion that i just thought the next plan for this show was making a third movie and ending the disaster from the previous one, but i will admit that i was surprised when i knew about this new season, and i will say that after watching it, i didn't like the first episodeWell i'm going to start saying that i've never expected a new X Files season due the second movie sucked so hard on my opinion that i just thought the next plan for this show was making a third movie and ending the disaster from the previous one, but i will admit that i was surprised when i knew about this new season, and i will say that after watching it, i didn't like the first episode at all, but theres a few episodes with bad reviews that i liked, i think we are getting that essence coming for the original show, i love the fact we could see the intro again, as far that chemistry between Duchovny and Anderson feels a bit overacted, i have to say i love it! even the 3rd episode which got a lot of bad reviews, i loved it to for the fact that we are recovering that same Mulder we used to watch before, open minded, able to listen and understand everything out of his limits. The way it ended, well it brings me hope we gonna watch more and it will get better, this season just makes the second movie doesn't even exist, so i will be so happy to see more about this, its just starting after so many years it ended with the season 9, so i have hope this is going to be better. Expand
  31. Mar 14, 2016
    What would have been great is to skip the middle episodes all together and do a 2 hour special containing the first and last episode. It's great seeing Joel Mchale (wow, i had to "add that to dictionary") outside of Community which is a awsome (Yes, I spell awsome like that) show by the way. In conclusion (how do i get that line crossing through the words?(I know, Google it)), the partWhat would have been great is to skip the middle episodes all together and do a 2 hour special containing the first and last episode. It's great seeing Joel Mchale (wow, i had to "add that to dictionary") outside of Community which is a awsome (Yes, I spell awsome like that) show by the way. In conclusion (how do i get that line crossing through the words?(I know, Google it)), the part when Tad explains the giant conspiracy with a perfectly edited video montage is 10/10 material. Expand
  32. Jan 25, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Had a few fun moments but an overall failure. The X-files miniseries (aka Season 10) can be described in 1 word: slapdash. No consistent storyline, zero defined tone, and frustratingly without a purpose. Nearly every element used in these 6 episodes have already been done in previous episodes; Evil aliens invading, the government lying about it, alien technology/DNA being used against the people, summoning a demon or golem to do your killing, etc. We've seen all of this before. Joel McHale was miscast as a serious role and never for a second seemed genuinely concerned about the situation at hand. Some are praising the finale for its cliff hanger element but the reality is that it left a great amount to be desired for true fans. The prior episode was a tonal mess and a travesty of storytelling. On paper, an episode about ISIS and Mulder taking shrooms sounds interesting, but the result was so embarrassing (and racist against Muslims) I'm amazed it made it to national television. Overall, not very disappointing because Carter is the king of 'Hit or Miss'. Now he has officially 'George Lucased' the X-Files. Resurrected it and then butchered the remains. Expand
  33. Mar 1, 2016
    An X-File fan from long ago, I truly enjoyed this leading-up-to-the-season 10 series final episode. I am hopeful to see Season 11 and it go onward for at least another couple or more seasons. This is by far the best TV program I have seen because I am not a TV program lover. I rather see a movie of my choice. Therefore, Chis Carter, please with your creative mind (s) come up with moreAn X-File fan from long ago, I truly enjoyed this leading-up-to-the-season 10 series final episode. I am hopeful to see Season 11 and it go onward for at least another couple or more seasons. This is by far the best TV program I have seen because I am not a TV program lover. I rather see a movie of my choice. Therefore, Chis Carter, please with your creative mind (s) come up with more twists and turns for future Seasons ! Season 11 can't be the end !!!! Expand
  34. Apr 13, 2016
    I thoroughly enjoyed this season(apart from episode 6) the chemistry between Fox and Dana is still there, there is still that humour we all know and love, and lets not forget the legend that is Rhys Darby who makes an appearance, so overall the 10th season is a return to form in my opinion albeit with the mess that is the last episode. Season 10 doesn't offer any closure and which is greatI thoroughly enjoyed this season(apart from episode 6) the chemistry between Fox and Dana is still there, there is still that humour we all know and love, and lets not forget the legend that is Rhys Darby who makes an appearance, so overall the 10th season is a return to form in my opinion albeit with the mess that is the last episode. Season 10 doesn't offer any closure and which is great if you want to see more X-Files.

Last episode was a let down, it was muddled up and in a rush to get to the end.....and in my opinion was a bit over the top even by X-Files Standards, it all happened too quick, like Carter tried to fit about 4 episodes into a single episode.

would've been a 10/10 but episode 6 was all over the place, so 9/10
  35. Apr 9, 2016
    People either like X-Files or they don't. It is that kind of show. I loved X-Files and really enjoyed the return of the X-Files. X-Files was a dark, moody show where "the truth" was wonderfully murky. The writers did a wonderful job of tying the past to the present and I really appreciated the plot line they chose to bring forward. Bringing the technology of huge phones and "old schoolPeople either like X-Files or they don't. It is that kind of show. I loved X-Files and really enjoyed the return of the X-Files. X-Files was a dark, moody show where "the truth" was wonderfully murky. The writers did a wonderful job of tying the past to the present and I really appreciated the plot line they chose to bring forward. Bringing the technology of huge phones and "old school computers" to modern technology levels was seamless. The return chemistry between the older Scully and Mulder was still hot and the cliff hanger ending left me wanting more. I think the younger generations of watchers deserve a chance to enjoy "spooky Mulder". I really hope the show will continue. The truth is out there.............. Expand
  36. Jun 2, 2016
    The quirky X Files episodes are the best and I give 12 stars for the werewolf episode! Unfortunately, the rest of this season is forgettable. Chris Carter drove the original series to the ground with his preoccupation with government conspiracy, boring procedural meeting room scenes, meetings on park benches, meetings in parking garages, etc. So, now given a chance to resurrect theThe quirky X Files episodes are the best and I give 12 stars for the werewolf episode! Unfortunately, the rest of this season is forgettable. Chris Carter drove the original series to the ground with his preoccupation with government conspiracy, boring procedural meeting room scenes, meetings on park benches, meetings in parking garages, etc. So, now given a chance to resurrect the series, he stubbornly insists on giving the people what they don't want, more of his weak soap box. MEH. Expand
  37. Mar 10, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Episodes 1-5 are perfect in my opinion and capture everything I used to love throughout the whole series, like a summary of the best bits of the show itself. In particular, I loved the meta-narrative of disproving the X-files and disproving that "proof" of aliens as part of a deeper conspiracy. The implications of this seemed huge, and turned the idea of the show completely on its head (where before Mulder was trying to definitively prove these very stories that were fed to him).

It has been said many times across the web, but the season really comes into its own with the 3rd and 4th episodes. There is a sense of both agents questioning the worth of what they have done up to now, with "Mulder and Skully Meet the Were-Monster" acting as a brilliant metaphor for Mulder's seemingly pointless quest for the "truth". Having the Were-Monster narrative as just coincidental to a real (human!) killer on the loose was a true stroke of genius, probably done before, but never with the self-reflection Mulder now has the right to preach. Then comes along Episode 4, where it seems just as plausible Mulder just wanted to get high for the sake of it.

Where it all falls apart is the 5th episode. The X-Files works when all of these alien conspiracy elements are just barely seen in the shadows. I was really hoping it would go down a route of covering up scandal, where one blunder meant they had to come up with something even more exaggerated to hide it, and the X-Files themselves acted as a conduit for this indirect propaganda. I was hoping for this because the aim of Mulder and Skully being to "disprove" the X-Files seemed like a completely fresh take on the concept. Instead, it tries to look at us straight faced whilst repeating "alien DNA" again and again. It becomes an end of the world thing, yet because of it solely showing footage in Washington it comes across as claustrophobic rather than world reaching. Maybe it could all be a conspiracy that was perpetuated solely against Washington DC and surrounding areas- covered up as a mild epidemic of some kind.

I can understand it's hard to go any higher in scale and danger after 10 seasons, but it backs you into a corner by suggesting everyone in the world dies. 24 showed there was only so many times Jack could save the world from a terrorist threat before it starts to break the suspension of disbelief... And I loved every season of that show (and growing to love the not-a-reboot). The X Files, especially early seasons, really kept that suspension... And actually I didn't mind it when they swapped out Mulder and Skully even. But they made the mistake of revealing the truth. Which seems quite bizarre for a show like this, but it's that feeling of facing the unknown that always made the show special.

Despite the criticism of the last episode, I really REALLY want to see a season 11. For the most part, it kept me hooked from the first 10 minutes to keep watching more and more.It handled the feeling of nostalgia well, making us feel like we were in Mulder's shoes, I'd argue even more so with the comedic elements. It's bizarre and simultaneously enjoyable to empathise with both Mulder and a Were-man (who is potentially a killer at the beginning of their conversation in the graveyard). Because, in that moment, both characters were really the same. The Were-Man's story acts as an excellent metaphor for Mulder's struggles. It gives that voice of experience without the cheese of him teaching a younger agent. He's giving that advice to someone who might be a killer... But, you know what, f**k it. He's clearly a man going through intense struggles himself. Mulder can almost see that good nature, he wants to believe, and he's trying to shine a light not just for his own understanding, not just to help the case, but actually to converse with someone going through a similar amount of struggle.

1. Reviewed by: Kimberly Roots
    Apr 6, 2016
    Love for the franchise and its characters likely will blunt the momentary ridiculousness for longtime fans (it did for this one), while newcomers should hang in for the second and third hours--because that’s when the series finds its bizarre rhythm.
    The X-Files is at its best when dealing with government conspiracies, and that's exactly what you'll get in the premiere episode.
  3. TV Guide Magazine
    Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Jan 28, 2016
    After a sluggish start in the opener, which dived too deeply into the murky swamp of alien-human conspiracy.... Things pick up the next night with spooky-icky generic manipulation. Now, at the midpoint: "Mulder & Scully Meets the Were-Monster," by Emmy winner Darin Morgan at his whimsical best. [1-14 Feb 2016, p.19]