• Network: A&E
  • Series Premiere Date: Mar 3, 2014
  • Season #: 1
7.3

1. Mar 9, 2014
    Absolutely horrid remake of the very good Danish series. The psychologist is totally unbelievable. They try to do in 40+ minutes what was done in the hour and a half original. The only saving grace is that they set it in some place other than NY, LA, etc.
  2. Mar 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The pilot of this show was not that bad (I'd give it a 6.) and it made me look forward to the second episode, where I'd hoped that they would tidy up the writing and continue building the story of Catherine and her past and Thomas and whatever his deal is. The second episode was disappointing and is the reason I kicked the show down to a solid 3.

The quality of the writing is so-so, the story seems drawn in all directions (and in the second episode it feels as if the story is hardly moving forward at all!) Watching the second episode felt as if the writers has no control what so ever and no clue as to how to write a decent episode.

The story contains too many strange elements that they could have edited out because they ended up spending valuable air time showing us scenes that feels like a waste of time: Such as Catherine cutting her arm next to a crime scene (IN the rain!) and the married dad she gives a one time offer of a booty call and the booty call it self. Sure the former adds dramatic effect, but we see her cutting herself at the start of the episode, we get, and the latter scene offers some explicit content sans nudity, but they are both a waste of time. They could use another way to make her damaged sides shine through. There are also several scenes in the episode that does nothing positive to build the image of Catherine as a character. The first episodes are critical in showing the audience the first traits of her personality and in letting the audience getting to know her, but in the second episode contains too many negative personality traits and makes her seem cold, damaged, and selfish/unprofessional(by breaking into a warehouse to look at evidence in a murder case she is NOT working on, just because she is bored with being placed on desk duty.) There are other examples as to why the second episode was a disappointment, but I'm feel incredibly bored just writing about it!.

If/when they relaunch the show. I'm not so sure I'll be watching.
  3. Mar 25, 2014
    This paper features the usual abuse of women as a central them, including the gross sexualized treatment of women by a serial killer. I did not think the lead was that interesting, but hard to tell in this very abrupt treatment with little to no character development. I won't watch it again--unpleasant, and yet I watch a lot of murder mystery type shows.
  4. May 5, 2014
    Those Who Kill picks the perfect actor to play the lead in a cast of excessively dramatic characters with no substance to be dramatic about. Unoriginal, unrealistic, uninteresting. The final scene is embarrassing. I created a metacritic account just to warn people how awful this show is.

1. Reviewed by: Jeff Korbelik
    Mar 27, 2014
    The pilot also contained a few eye-rolling scenes.... Still, Sevigny is quite good. Her character is complex, with a backstory, that we’re slowly finding out, for turning her into the kind of person she is. D’Arcy also holds his own.
  2. Reviewed by: Diane Werts
    Mar 3, 2014
    Disturbing. Magnetic. Hold your breath. Watch.
  3. Reviewed by: Chuck Bowen
    Mar 3, 2014
    Laughably unoriginal, the greatest novelty of creator Glen Morgan's series is that his predictably troubled detective is a woman rather than the usual thirtysomething white dude with three-day stubble and a morning hankering for bourbon.