• Network: A&E
  • Series Premiere Date: Mar 3, 2014
  • Season #: 1
7.3

1. Mar 3, 2014
    The pilot had a moment where I literally jumped out of my seat. This is a unexpectedly fresh take on the tired serial killer genre. The episode moves fast, with each act containing surprises that felt organic. Chloe is amazing. This isn't like the boring "The Killing", it has action plus eerie atmosphere. A smart choice for A&E to have this follow Bates Motel.
  2. Mar 9, 2014
    Absolutely horrid remake of the very good Danish series. The psychologist is totally unbelievable. They try to do in 40+ minutes what was done in the hour and a half original. The only saving grace is that they set it in some place other than NY, LA, etc.
  3. Mar 12, 2014
    I'm not a fan of serial killer shows. They're always the same. A nutter kills women, always using the same method, and along comes a profiler speaking psycho babble about motives and predictions of future events. The twist of late is to have the "good guys" as whacked out as the "bad guys." Chloe Sevigny brings her usual facial map of easily read emotion; mostly quietly fuming with a large twist of barely controlled hysteria. Now she throws in cold hearted killer from time to time. I'd prefer a drawn out chase to the hectic pace of this one. It takes months if not years to catch killers. Expand
  4. Mar 14, 2014
    Based on what I have seen of the series so far, Those Who Kill is sadly dull and feels very familiar. The Pilot episode was a mess; it was poorly written and paced and it felt very bland, though there were some moments that I did like, I didn't dislike it entirely. Personally, I think James Darcy and Chloe Sevigny were the higher points; they are compelling characters and they provided modest performances to those characters. I might continue to watch the series just to see if it improves, hopefully it does - but overall, the Pilot episode was a dull mess and I truly hope for an improvement; I'd certainly would like to see where the series goes. Expand
  5. Mar 3, 2014
    This new tv series is really captivating, fresh, mysterious and it keeps you wanting more. I enjoyed it and it's definitely a must-see. I really hope it lasts!
  6. Mar 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The pilot of this show was not that bad (I'd give it a 6.) and it made me look forward to the second episode, where I'd hoped that they would tidy up the writing and continue building the story of Catherine and her past and Thomas and whatever his deal is. The second episode was disappointing and is the reason I kicked the show down to a solid 3.

The quality of the writing is so-so, the story seems drawn in all directions (and in the second episode it feels as if the story is hardly moving forward at all!) Watching the second episode felt as if the writers has no control what so ever and no clue as to how to write a decent episode.

The story contains too many strange elements that they could have edited out because they ended up spending valuable air time showing us scenes that feels like a waste of time: Such as Catherine cutting her arm next to a crime scene (IN the rain!) and the married dad she gives a one time offer of a booty call and the booty call it self. Sure the former adds dramatic effect, but we see her cutting herself at the start of the episode, we get, and the latter scene offers some explicit content sans nudity, but they are both a waste of time. They could use another way to make her damaged sides shine through. There are also several scenes in the episode that does nothing positive to build the image of Catherine as a character. The first episodes are critical in showing the audience the first traits of her personality and in letting the audience getting to know her, but in the second episode contains too many negative personality traits and makes her seem cold, damaged, and selfish/unprofessional(by breaking into a warehouse to look at evidence in a murder case she is NOT working on, just because she is bored with being placed on desk duty.) There are other examples as to why the second episode was a disappointment, but I'm feel incredibly bored just writing about it!.

If/when they relaunch the show. I'm not so sure I'll be watching.
  7. Mar 25, 2014
    This paper features the usual abuse of women as a central them, including the gross sexualized treatment of women by a serial killer. I did not think the lead was that interesting, but hard to tell in this very abrupt treatment with little to no character development. I won't watch it again--unpleasant, and yet I watch a lot of murder mystery type shows.
  8. Apr 29, 2014
    i love love this show. informative, suspenseful, realistic, actors are sensational. best show on tv. can't wait till next episode. please don't cancel.
  9. May 1, 2014
    A&E made a horrible mistake yanking this show. I think it has a refreshing and positive difference from other "typical" cop shows. Chloe Sevigny is excellent in this role...very dark.
  10. Mar 25, 2014
    I really liked this show. I thought the first two episodes were captivating and I wanted more. I hope A&E gets this series up and running very soon. The characters were very, very interesting to me, and I sure wanted to find out where the story was going. Bring it back A&E!
  11. Mar 19, 2014
    As usual the professional critics have gotten it wrong. This is an unusually captivating series. Scarey, different, and holds your interest until the very end, and can't wait for the next episode. My daughter and son-in-law, who are hard to please, have set up to record this show. So, what the heck - cancel it. Just like Southland, which NBC cancelled, then TNT. Seems like they just want to keep spoon feeding the same old tired unbelievable stuff. Isn't there anyone out there to stand up for US?? Expand
  12. May 5, 2014
    Those Who Kill picks the perfect actor to play the lead in a cast of excessively dramatic characters with no substance to be dramatic about. Unoriginal, unrealistic, uninteresting. The final scene is embarrassing. I created a metacritic account just to warn people how awful this show is.
  13. May 23, 2014
    I like the show.

It goes too fast, the solve the cases too easy... But Shaeffer is amazing, and Jensesn also. They are both so messed up, but so lovable. Anything could happen and that's so appealing.
  14. May 26, 2014
    Really sad cancelation! It was a joy to watch Chloe Sevigny in a role with depth and grit appropriate to her talents. Sure, there are plenty of cop dramas out there, but this promised more. She was meaningfully learning about her own possibly psychopathic tendencies, and she acted that in a way that maintained my interest by risking being thoroughly unlikable. That is in fact her strength as an actress, and this sadly short lived series robbed us all of a chance to see her be a complex human being without apologizing to us. The only apology in order is for the short attention span of the viewers that looked elsewhere, and the non-existent promotional presence. Expand
  15. May 27, 2014
    This tv thriller keeps you glued to your seat. The characters are interesting and Chloe Sevigny is excellent in her role. I hope they continue with season 2, hate to see it end like that. Brilliant and refreshing, big thumbs up for me!
  16. Jun 3, 2014
    This was an amazing show. Always kept me dying to see the next episode. It was a nice change from your average serial killer shows with the use of the psychologist. I am extremely upset by its cancellation! I desperately want to know if Katherine killed her step father. There's so much left unanswered! Please bring this great show back!

1. Reviewed by: Jeff Korbelik
    Mar 27, 2014
    The pilot also contained a few eye-rolling scenes.... Still, Sevigny is quite good. Her character is complex, with a backstory, that we’re slowly finding out, for turning her into the kind of person she is. D’Arcy also holds his own.
  2. Reviewed by: Diane Werts
    Mar 3, 2014
    Disturbing. Magnetic. Hold your breath. Watch.
  3. Reviewed by: Chuck Bowen
    Mar 3, 2014
    Laughably unoriginal, the greatest novelty of creator Glen Morgan's series is that his predictably troubled detective is a woman rather than the usual thirtysomething white dude with three-day stubble and a morning hankering for bourbon.