Those Who Kill : Season 1

• Network: A&E
  • Series Premiere Date: Mar 3, 2014
7.3

1. Mar 12, 2014
    I'm not a fan of serial killer shows. They're always the same. A nutter kills women, always using the same method, and along comes a profiler speaking psycho babble about motives and predictions of future events. The twist of late is to have the "good guys" as whacked out as the "bad guys." Chloe Sevigny brings her usual facial map of easily read emotion; mostly quietly fuming with a largeI'm not a fan of serial killer shows. They're always the same. A nutter kills women, always using the same method, and along comes a profiler speaking psycho babble about motives and predictions of future events. The twist of late is to have the "good guys" as whacked out as the "bad guys." Chloe Sevigny brings her usual facial map of easily read emotion; mostly quietly fuming with a large twist of barely controlled hysteria. Now she throws in cold hearted killer from time to time. I'd prefer a drawn out chase to the hectic pace of this one. It takes months if not years to catch killers. Expand
  2. Mar 14, 2014
    Based on what I have seen of the series so far, Those Who Kill is sadly dull and feels very familiar. The Pilot episode was a mess; it was poorly written and paced and it felt very bland, though there were some moments that I did like, I didn't dislike it entirely. Personally, I think James Darcy and Chloe Sevigny were the higher points; they are compelling characters and they providedBased on what I have seen of the series so far, Those Who Kill is sadly dull and feels very familiar. The Pilot episode was a mess; it was poorly written and paced and it felt very bland, though there were some moments that I did like, I didn't dislike it entirely. Personally, I think James Darcy and Chloe Sevigny were the higher points; they are compelling characters and they provided modest performances to those characters. I might continue to watch the series just to see if it improves, hopefully it does - but overall, the Pilot episode was a dull mess and I truly hope for an improvement; I'd certainly would like to see where the series goes. Expand
  3. Nov 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I started watching this. The situations were familiar, but well produced and acted. I love Sevigny's face; great subtlety there.

However, I am in the old-school "Inspector Morse" fan base. Very very little violence was ever shown in those fine episodes. The camera would pan away; almost never any blood, certainly no on-screen torture.

And so I stopped watching Those Who Kill, in spite of many good things about it, I refuse to watch on-screen torture, and especially the evident joy and pleasure on the face of the torturer.

Repulsive and obscene. Be warned.

1. Reviewed by: Jeff Korbelik
    Mar 27, 2014
    The pilot also contained a few eye-rolling scenes.... Still, Sevigny is quite good. Her character is complex, with a backstory, that we’re slowly finding out, for turning her into the kind of person she is. D’Arcy also holds his own.
  2. Reviewed by: Diane Werts
    Mar 3, 2014
    Disturbing. Magnetic. Hold your breath. Watch.
  3. Reviewed by: Chuck Bowen
    Mar 3, 2014
    Laughably unoriginal, the greatest novelty of creator Glen Morgan's series is that his predictably troubled detective is a woman rather than the usual thirtysomething white dude with three-day stubble and a morning hankering for bourbon.