4.1

1. Sep 25, 2014
    Top gear U.S is a cheap rip off of the success of the U.K version. It lacks in all quality and humor. While watching you will get a smell up your nose, and you realize that they are basically copying and pasting the U.K formula, but somehow it still sucks.
  2. Nov 28, 2013
    Do yourself a favor and go watch the UK version, there is no comparison between the two. This one is just bad and frankly, not funny. Clarkson, Hammond and May are 200 percent better than the hosts on this show.
  3. Nov 25, 2012
    This show is one of those shows that was based off a popular show from the UK that is rather mixed. It has is great moments that get are like what you're used to from the UK version, but it feels rather watered down. Personally, I do prefer & recommend the UK version much more, but this version isn't so bad I'm gonna say not to watch it if it just happens to be on when nothing else is.
  4. Jun 28, 2012
    one of the worst car show i have ever seen,and they are trying to be funny,they will never be like the original show,without Hammond Jeremy and Clarkson OMG it's the worst, they are .......
  5. Apr 30, 2012
    I think that not enough people have given it a chance. I also think that people are comparing the American version to the UK version too much and they need to realize they are two different shows. Having that said, I agree the producers need to think up some new ideas because quite a few of their challenges were close if not the same as some challenges from the UK. Overall, I would sayI think that not enough people have given it a chance. I also think that people are comparing the American version to the UK version too much and they need to realize they are two different shows. Having that said, I agree the producers need to think up some new ideas because quite a few of their challenges were close if not the same as some challenges from the UK. Overall, I would say that they would need some warming up, but give them a season or two and I think they'll be great! Expand
  6. Oct 25, 2011
    It's lacks the passion and chemistry that the original even the Australian one has we tried this once before and on prime time and it failed but I guess giving it a second shot might make it better.... I've seen the full first season now and adding cameras and money to the production wont make it better!! Poor choice on the hosts.
  7. Oct 18, 2011
    Americans doing Top Gear? I'm sorry but this just DOES NOT WORK. There's no real sense of orignality, character or humour. It is a direct copy of Top Gear UK, and it adds NOTHING new. They literally copy ideas from original top gear. Anyone who actually likes this is clearly a redneck, propaganda-induced American who has never watched original TG.
  8. Sep 24, 2011
    Most people gave this show a bad review simply because of they're loyalty (For whatever reason) to the UK version of Top Gear.

I was skeptical at first when watching the previews for the show, but after the first few episodes I have become a fan. The show is actually very good. Especially considering all the pressure and negative feedback the show received before it even aired. Top Gear

The show is actually very good. Especially considering all the pressure and negative feedback the show received before it even aired. Top Gear USA gives attention to many cars that would not have a chance to make the UK show and also gives great insight on the newest toys available.

I've enjoyed all of the challenges they've done for both seasons and I hope they make a season 3.
  9. Sep 23, 2011
    Personally I think this show is great, and way better than the UK (American car bashing) version. Those who gave it a poor review probably all drive imported cars, and are to close minded to have ever owned a good American car. I was a fan of the UK Top Gear until I noticed a trend... They bash EVERYTHING American made, and this makes all there car reviews null and void IMHO. The USPersonally I think this show is great, and way better than the UK (American car bashing) version. Those who gave it a poor review probably all drive imported cars, and are to close minded to have ever owned a good American car. I was a fan of the UK Top Gear until I noticed a trend... They bash EVERYTHING American made, and this makes all there car reviews null and void IMHO. The US version is very balanced and true to the real car fanatic. The hosts are giving very accurate, non-biased, reviews on all cars regardless of what country that it is made in, and that is what makes it 10 times better then the UK Top Gear show.

To DerKrieger, about your comment meant to imply all those who are either from the south or like NASCAR are dumb... Very much a inaccurate stereotype and a very close minded, unintelligent statement in general from someone who cannot even get popular phrases correct. In your review the proper phase use should of been "An insult to your intelligence" or "An assault on your intelligence" not " an assault to your intelligence." But how does a "Dumb Southerner" as myself know better than some obvious Liberal Jackass???
  10. TTT
    Aug 19, 2011
    I really don't like this programm because it's repetitive and boring . Yes , good car ... but ... there's nothing else positive.
  11. Apr 21, 2011
    Let me start off by saying that I never watched the UK version of this show, I see a lot of people who watch the UK version of the show not necessarily like the US version. I have to say I love this show. I find the 3 hosts are a great ensemble group and a great thing to watch. I will also let you know that while I love and am interested in cars I know very little about them, So when theyLet me start off by saying that I never watched the UK version of this show, I see a lot of people who watch the UK version of the show not necessarily like the US version. I have to say I love this show. I find the 3 hosts are a great ensemble group and a great thing to watch. I will also let you know that while I love and am interested in cars I know very little about them, So when they talk about the cars I don't mind that they go into to much detail. The next thing I love about the show is the trips and the challenges I find them interesting and very fun to watch.

Overall I would say if you have not seen the UK version of the show and you are not a super car enthusiast but interested in cars and what a few laughs while you watch I would recommend this show, I have to say I love it.
  12. Feb 6, 2011
    I'm a fan of any show with automobiles in it but I can't help but compare it to the vastly superior BBC version. Still the challenges are fun and there's always the star of the show, the cars. I just wish these shows would spend a little more time with every day vehicles.
  13. Jan 24, 2011
    Top Gear US is in a very similar place to where Top Gear UK was in its first season, except these folks were able to see and learn from some of the mistakes of the original show. I must admit I was sorely disappointed with the first episode, but I was duly impressed by the growth and improvement every following episode. I give this show a positive rating because I see its potential and howTop Gear US is in a very similar place to where Top Gear UK was in its first season, except these folks were able to see and learn from some of the mistakes of the original show. I must admit I was sorely disappointed with the first episode, but I was duly impressed by the growth and improvement every following episode. I give this show a positive rating because I see its potential and how fast it is growing to reach that 'sweet spot' in this very special genre of TV shows. Expand
  14. Jan 6, 2011
    the show i find quite amusing and a really good television program, yes it's not exactly a children's program but let the older ones have their entertainment
  15. Jan 4, 2011
    Not as good as the UK version, but as a series on it's own it is not completely bad. It took a few shows to warm up to. The comic appeal is not the same and not really funny. I don't care if I miss an episode and would rather watch re-runs of Top Gear UK. I did not expect it to be the same or even good, but was disappointed none the less.
  16. Jan 1, 2011
    Complete and utter drivel! But we all knew it would be didn't we? How could they have hoped to match the British original? Why even bother, especially when the original is already so popular in the US? UK Top Gear was basically based around Clarksons humour. You can't replicate that without the man himself. Without Clarkson it isn't Top Gear. I'm sick and tired of American TV remakingComplete and utter drivel! But we all knew it would be didn't we? How could they have hoped to match the British original? Why even bother, especially when the original is already so popular in the US? UK Top Gear was basically based around Clarksons humour. You can't replicate that without the man himself. Without Clarkson it isn't Top Gear. I'm sick and tired of American TV remaking classic British TV programs yet missing what made the originals so good. Expand
  17. Dec 30, 2010
    I have been watching every single remake of top gear (including the Russian version) and when I watched the first episode of Top Gear US it didn't quite appeal to me, however I did see the potential it had.
    Little did I know that their potential would bloom in the first season. After watching the last two episodes of this series I was amazed. Yes it's a copy, but they brought it over quite nicely. I say, if you watched the first episode and left it alone, give it a shot and watch the rest, they are trying really hard and honestly, people forget that the original top gear took 3 series to be interesting, this one took ONE!
  18. Dec 29, 2010
    It's not as good as the British version yet but it's not bad. I was really afraid they were going to screw this up but they did a good job. Once they get a few episodes under their belt, I expect the show will rate an 8 or 9.
  19. Dec 24, 2010
    I've watched all 17 seasons (to date) of the original UK Top Gear and am a huge fan of that series.
    I think this US version knows the massive hill it has to climb to gain acceptance with American fans of the UK series, and while it will probably never match that level of humor, success, and camera work, it is already starting to grow on me and after five episodes (to date), I already find myself looking forward to more. The cast isn't as good (but really who could be), the dialogue is lower brow, a lot of the bits are regurgitated from the UK show, it lacks the level of depth and history the UK show provides on a given topic, and the camera work is more ADHD visual soundbyte style as one might expect to keep an American audience's attention, but even in spite of all these things it's not half bad and I hope they get the viewership ratings needed to approve a second season. I think after they have one under their belt and can start to fine tune things, they have a chance at real success. And honestly, if you go back and watch the first couple seasons of the UK Top Gear with Clarkson, you'll notice it took them a while to get into a groove and find the humor and visuals that make that show what it is today. You'll also note the casting changes that came along with it. So give it time and we may be pleasantly surprised. Or disgusted. We shall see. =)
  20. Dec 19, 2010
    This is nothing on the original Top Gear, it feels like a cheap rip off. This show feels like nothing without Clarkson, Hammond and May at the steering wheel. A lot of it feels like it has been staged and badly scripted rather than having actually happened. It's idiotic.
  21. Dec 19, 2010
    This show may hit its stride but as of now it is a cheap and awkward knock-off of the UK version. Part of this comes from the fact that there aren't many exciting cars coming out of the US compared to Europe, but if you aren't familiar with the original you might enjoy it, however it is unmistakably a poor excuse for a car show when the precedent has already been set.
  22. Dec 19, 2010
    The show has potential and can certainly pull itself out of the funk with a few key changes. For one they should get rid of their Stig, and change up the star in a reasonably priced car contest to some degree. We have Top Gear UK for that you know. The second big issue - the bigger of the two - is how staged and fake some of the stunts/events seem. Like the helicopter vs. Viper race... 15The show has potential and can certainly pull itself out of the funk with a few key changes. For one they should get rid of their Stig, and change up the star in a reasonably priced car contest to some degree. We have Top Gear UK for that you know. The second big issue - the bigger of the two - is how staged and fake some of the stunts/events seem. Like the helicopter vs. Viper race... 15 minutes of staged, boring BS. Now I know Top Gear UK stages their stuff too, and a lot of the jokes are pre-conceived too... but it's different how they do it. They will try to climb the highest drivable mountain in an off-road vehicle. Sure some of the the things that happen a long the way are staged. But when push comes to shove they are still driving up that mountain; the main part of the challenge is REAL. Ditto when they drove through a jungle in supercars; a lot of choreographed non-sense, but the main part (having driven through the jungle) was VERY REAL. Top Gear US does not follow suit. Everything about their events are fake. And unlike Top Gear UK, the fake parts aren't entertaining enough to laugh at and not take seriously. A feeling I got off Top Gear UK is that they wanted you to know there stunts/events were somewhat staged, and made it super humorous to make up for it in a sense. I get the feeling that the US show is actually trying to convince their audience that the staged events aren't staged at all... similar to how pro wrestling used to market their product. As of right now this show is a bit of a pathetic mess, but it has potential. The car review parts are well done. Expand
  23. Dec 17, 2010
    All the Fanboys of the UK Top Gear totally loose their credibility as soon as they compare the US and UK Top Gears. Yes the UK version is amazing, and I love ever bit of it, except the Celebrity in the crap car. But do you remember the first season of UK Top Gear, it was just as cheap and mediocre. Saying that, I for one like the US Top Gear, sure it isn't as good, but what else do we haveAll the Fanboys of the UK Top Gear totally loose their credibility as soon as they compare the US and UK Top Gears. Yes the UK version is amazing, and I love ever bit of it, except the Celebrity in the crap car. But do you remember the first season of UK Top Gear, it was just as cheap and mediocre. Saying that, I for one like the US Top Gear, sure it isn't as good, but what else do we have in America, Car and Driver tv/ Motor Trend, lol. Wait one or two more seasons and this show will turn into exactly what you miss about UK Top Gear. Expand
  24. Dec 10, 2010
    I gave it a chance, really - but there is nothing redeeming at all about the US version of Top Gear. It is scripted and forced feeling, the lack of budget is apparent and it is completely devoid of the wit, charm and fluidity that make the UK version so special. Plus, the UK version of Top Gear - except for the rare inclusion of a Vauxhall or FIAT - is completely relevant to US viewers, soI gave it a chance, really - but there is nothing redeeming at all about the US version of Top Gear. It is scripted and forced feeling, the lack of budget is apparent and it is completely devoid of the wit, charm and fluidity that make the UK version so special. Plus, the UK version of Top Gear - except for the rare inclusion of a Vauxhall or FIAT - is completely relevant to US viewers, so a dedicated American version is completely redundant, anyway. Sorry. Expand
  25. Dec 6, 2010
    A fresh take on the UK show. The presenters are great being both younger and fresher than the UK hosts. I am a big fan of the UK show but it has become a bit cliched and frankly tired. The US version recaptures some of the vitality of the early Top gear UK episodes. The US hosts are likable fun guys who will hopefully grow on the audience as the original hosts did in the UK original.
  26. Dec 1, 2010
    I love Top Gear UK, but this is utter crap. Sort of like the neon orange cheese product known as American cheese - a cheap, Americanized imitation of the original. After the 60 Minutes special featuring the British host Jeremy Clarkson I was afraid this would happen. Total blasphemy! Just another vehicle for parasitic commercials. Cars in American culture = NASCAR and hulking, poorlyI love Top Gear UK, but this is utter crap. Sort of like the neon orange cheese product known as American cheese - a cheap, Americanized imitation of the original. After the 60 Minutes special featuring the British host Jeremy Clarkson I was afraid this would happen. Total blasphemy! Just another vehicle for parasitic commercials. Cars in American culture = NASCAR and hulking, poorly constructed SUVs. Molding Top Gear around that is, like most of American media, inane and missing the point. Don't be fooled. This is most definitely NOT Top Gear! Expand
  27. Nov 29, 2010
    Considering that this is only the start of Top Gear US, the hosts can seem a bit wooden and a there is a lack of chemistry that is so well loved about Top Gear UK. However, given time and practice I believe that Top Gear US can be just as great in its own way. After watching the first two episodes, I believe that TGUS will turn into a great show by the 3rd or 4th episode. While it is hardConsidering that this is only the start of Top Gear US, the hosts can seem a bit wooden and a there is a lack of chemistry that is so well loved about Top Gear UK. However, given time and practice I believe that Top Gear US can be just as great in its own way. After watching the first two episodes, I believe that TGUS will turn into a great show by the 3rd or 4th episode. While it is hard to follow the success of the UK show, it is obvious that by using the UK show as a guide for the first season of the US show, there can only be success for the US show. Expand
  28. Nov 28, 2010
    So completely awful. Top Gear UK infinitely superior. The worst part might be perhaps that they should have realized that their carbon copy of the UK show is a complete sham. At that point perhaps they could have taken the show in a different direction and made it their own unique beast, something that stands on it's own. They ignore the UK show completely while at the same time mimicSo completely awful. Top Gear UK infinitely superior. The worst part might be perhaps that they should have realized that their carbon copy of the UK show is a complete sham. At that point perhaps they could have taken the show in a different direction and made it their own unique beast, something that stands on it's own. They ignore the UK show completely while at the same time mimic every centimeter of the UK show and even try to throw in some really lame jokes about the "Brits" - I'm well aware Clarkson makes jokes about Americans on the show, but it's so tongue in cheek it's charming, when the US hosts make a joke about it, it falls flat on it's face and then explodes. Expand
  29. Nov 24, 2010
    Watched this for the first time yesterday as I missed the premier on Sunday. Let me tell you I am one of the biggest fans of the original Top Gear and going in I didn't think I would be impressed. I didn't know though that it would be so bad. Most of the problems stem from the hosts. The as rigid as wood and about as interesting. Overall not very good. All the wit and charm of the UK showWatched this for the first time yesterday as I missed the premier on Sunday. Let me tell you I am one of the biggest fans of the original Top Gear and going in I didn't think I would be impressed. I didn't know though that it would be so bad. Most of the problems stem from the hosts. The as rigid as wood and about as interesting. Overall not very good. All the wit and charm of the UK show is gone. They dumb everything down so much that it is an assault to your intelligence. (This being done because it is aimed at southern NASCAR fans.) Also they think 145 MPH is fast. Ehh not very. Plus it is impossible to replace Jeremy Clarkson.

(Also if your going to write a negative review make sure you remember to lower the score. Supergrand wrote a negative review, but gave it a 10. Messes up the rating system.)
  30. Nov 22, 2010
    Utter garbage! The show is a terrible mess of everything that was great about the original. The hosts aren't funny, the cars weren't new, the challenges are uninspired and even their Stig has nothing mysterious or amazing about him/her. I cant believe there are another 9 weeks of this drivel!

This incarnation should be scrapped. If you want to watch Top Gear, watch the original. There are already 14 seasons of it already.
  31. Nov 22, 2010
    Honestly, this show makes me embarrassed to be an American. I love the BBC based show and the sometimes silly stunts they do for fun but I really love the chemistry between the hosts and the great car details and tests, but this US version is just horrible. The hosts are like lifeless puppets, no chemistry, no humor, and the Rutledge guy is beyond annoying. Not to mention that if he isHonestly, this show makes me embarrassed to be an American. I love the BBC based show and the sometimes silly stunts they do for fun but I really love the chemistry between the hosts and the great car details and tests, but this US version is just horrible. The hosts are like lifeless puppets, no chemistry, no humor, and the Rutledge guy is beyond annoying. Not to mention that if he is 220 lbs like he claims, I'm a flying monkey. They need to dump the current hosts and start over with cars guys that have some personality and humor. They also need to shoot whoever came up with the Viper vs. AH-1 Cobra stunt as that was stupid and horribly scripted. Jay Leno made the comment that this show would fail in the US due to our TV studios seeming need to fawn over their advertisers and their products and I firmly believe that is why we will never get the witty, edgy qualities that make the UK show so good. Foust is a great driver and may make a decent host if someone can convince me that he is not made of wood when he is out of a car. Fire the other two and get people that have driving experience, instead of an overweight annoyance with a marketing degree and a failed comedian. This is America, there are car guys all over the place. Surely they can find at least three that can be entertaining? They should also fire whatever they are using for writers as this show was very bland and I was really just wanting it to be over with. Keep the time score board for both the featured cars and the guest laps (though the "Big Star In A Small Car" name is ridiculous), keep the stunts but make them at least somewhat believable and get new hosts and this show may cease to be a total embarrassment. Otherwise forget it as it will forever be overshadowed by the much better UK show and will most likely turn into the foolish advertisement show that 90% of all US based car shows become. Expand
  32. Nov 22, 2010
    I've watched nearly 14 full seasons of Top Gear UK, hour long episodes mind you, and in comparison, this show is almost unwatchable. The knowledge and wit of Jeremy Clarkson is gone, the banter of Hammond and May is missing, and for some reason this US Top Gear feels so staged. It's a dumbed-down exposition on "new cars" you've seen already.
  33. Nov 21, 2010
    As a Top Gear UK enthusiast, I was greatly disappointed by the American adaptation of the show. Not only are the show hosts all extremely annoying, but the show itself is an insult to the original Top Gear. The cameras are in all the wrong places, the editing is just god awful, and the show fails to grasp my attention like the original. Don't get me wrong, I am a car enthusiast and haveAs a Top Gear UK enthusiast, I was greatly disappointed by the American adaptation of the show. Not only are the show hosts all extremely annoying, but the show itself is an insult to the original Top Gear. The cameras are in all the wrong places, the editing is just god awful, and the show fails to grasp my attention like the original. Don't get me wrong, I am a car enthusiast and have seen every episode of the original show. So I was expecting the hosts to be funny, witty, and knowledgeable gentleman. Instead, what I got was a bunch of blabbering idiots who seemed to do nothing but copy everything Top Gear UK did, including using the same phrases. This annoyed me to no end. Maybe my expectations were too high, and maybe not. All I know is that this is a series that I cannot bring myself to watch, and quite frankly I am insulted to be a citizen of a country that would even dare to produce this series. To the BBC, I apologize for this atrocity. Expand

1. Reviewed by: John Young
    Dec 10, 2010
    The automobile-enthusiast program may lack the British wit of the original series, but it's beautifully shot, just as silly, and nearly as much fun. [26 Nov 2010, p.68]
  2. Reviewed by: Verne Gay
    Dec 9, 2010
    Who knew beautiful, obscenely expensive cars could be so much fun? These three guys do, and they effortlessly convey their knowledge and nutty passion.
  3. Reviewed by: Tricia Olszewski
    Dec 9, 2010
    It doesn't help that the vehicles reviewed thus far aren't surprising (Lamborghinis, Mustangs, Aston Martins), but the shenanigans the hosts set up for themselves can be thrilling.