Torchwood (UK) : Season 3

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
7.9

1. Oct 12, 2014
    Dark, Depressing and inredibly dangerous? Torchwood season 3, CHILDREN OF EARTH is the best season of a show that has ever come out on our screens, better than breaking bad, walking dead and many many other over hyped shows. I'm not saying Torchwood 1,2 and 4 are better than breaking bad and the walking dead. I am saying season 3, these 5 epiodes in particular are utter perfection! I lovedDark, Depressing and inredibly dangerous? Torchwood season 3, CHILDREN OF EARTH is the best season of a show that has ever come out on our screens, better than breaking bad, walking dead and many many other over hyped shows. I'm not saying Torchwood 1,2 and 4 are better than breaking bad and the walking dead. I am saying season 3, these 5 epiodes in particular are utter perfection! I loved this season more than anything that has come out of Doctor who, no kidding, name any doctor who episode I think these 5 epiosdes overthrow doctor who, admittedly the trailer is a bit misleading. on day 2, the defences had fallen in day 1, so it's a bit odd they say their defences will fall. when they had already fallen, although episode 2 was the weakest, it kind of had to be there to deliver a fantastic 3rd 4th and 5th episode, 1st episode was Perfect too, yes in episode 3 the sky didn't burn as the trailers suggested, but the creature arrived. 456 was **** insane, I loved Peter Capaldi as John Ferguson as he was REALLY intense and creepy, it was sad seeing him go, and that final episode is one of the most **** up and sad episodes to come out of british television in the 21st century. 10/10 all around. Expand
  2. Jan 3, 2013
    This was easily one of the greatest things I have ever seen on TV. It's sad to see it's so lowly rated. It was utterly, utterly fantastic. I must give it a re-watch, my memory of it is weakening, but it is again some of the best TV I have ever seen.
  3. Aug 3, 2011
    I really didn't think that Russel T Davis would ever redeem himself for some of his later penned episodes of Doctor Who, but man does this renew all the faith that was lost and then some. This really is one of the best sci-fi dramas I have ever watched. Torchwood has come so very far from that hideously awful early episode with Ianto's cyborg girlfriend. A dark, sinister, thought provokingI really didn't think that Russel T Davis would ever redeem himself for some of his later penned episodes of Doctor Who, but man does this renew all the faith that was lost and then some. This really is one of the best sci-fi dramas I have ever watched. Torchwood has come so very far from that hideously awful early episode with Ianto's cyborg girlfriend. A dark, sinister, thought provoking and intense edge of your seat thriller that never once loses the human factor. I really cannot express how much better this is than all previous installments of the series (and personally, I thought the second season was excellent). Chilling and gripping. I had hoped that RTD would have grown out of his "techno-babble fixes things last minute" crutch that plagued his Doctor Who scripts but unfortunately, it rears its ugly head, if only ever so slightly, in the finale. This however, is by no means a deal breaker and no other criticisms seem worth mentioning (even mentioning that feels like nitpicking). This series is incredible and oh so nearly perfect. I'd give it 9.5 if metacritic would let me. Expand
  4. ChelseaA
    Oct 1, 2009
    Very Very action packed this time, I would give it a 9.5 as i was sad when we lost Ianto but still a 10 cause i loved the story line and how it all fitted together at the end. they packed soo much in so little time and i think thats what makes it more advantages and differted as they took a chance i think. It turned out great and very thilling Rhys had way much more to do in it. X
  5. ms
    Jul 29, 2009
    Just watched the run last night off iTunes -- makes Daleks and Cybermen look like buckets of sunshine by comparison.
  6. EdwardR.
    Jul 29, 2009
    Amazing, considering how bad the first two series were, that this is actually quite good. It really benefits from good pacing and a bleak tone throughout with grey areas ethics, which makes the story interesting. Far by the best instalment is the fourth, with the government conspiring to actually give away 10% of all the world's children (not the ministers', mind), which is a Amazing, considering how bad the first two series were, that this is actually quite good. It really benefits from good pacing and a bleak tone throughout with grey areas ethics, which makes the story interesting. Far by the best instalment is the fourth, with the government conspiring to actually give away 10% of all the world's children (not the ministers', mind), which is a far more compelling notion than Barrowman sorting everything out. There are problems though, for one, it's not really made for people who haven't watched Torchwood - sure, you'll figure out who everyone is pretty quickly but the relationships are a bit under developed (especially the gay relationship, although I liked the idea of "it's not men, it's just him") and lacked the impact they could of had with a little effort. Plus, Barrowman dies so many times throughout the series it's approaching farce, which I suppose could be seen as a good thing. And then there's the ending, quite simply, it's atrocious. Not giving too much away, the captain may of been bothered by the sacrifice he made at the end, but I wasn't. It was way too easy, and if you didn't like that, you'll hate the cheesy ending. It's like Davies was getting bored towards the end of the script. Despite these problems, it's worth watching - just remember it isn't perfect. Did I mention I was amazed that this is any good? Expand
  7. SteveA.
    Jul 28, 2009
    As a Brit currently in California I was interested to watch the new Torchwood 'miniseries'. Torchwood has disappointed me in the past; (poor) CGI effects driven episodes failed to impress me but the well written character driven performances have been excellent. Children of Earth, for me, was probably the best Torchwood I've seen and clearly different to other science As a Brit currently in California I was interested to watch the new Torchwood 'miniseries'. Torchwood has disappointed me in the past; (poor) CGI effects driven episodes failed to impress me but the well written character driven performances have been excellent. Children of Earth, for me, was probably the best Torchwood I've seen and clearly different to other science fiction and drama currently on TV. One reviewer called the show 'repungnant'. Perhaps this reaction is why networks shy away from television that provokes the audience to consider difficult and unpleasant morality choices and why I'm thankful the BBC still has the funding that allows them to create programming that is not reliant on the backing of advertising and viewing figures. Torchwood CoE is not perfect, but is is a thoughtful and thought provoking show that deserves the high rating it's received. Expand
  8. EliasC.
    Jul 28, 2009
    Torchwood has always been a very good British series. The decision to limit the third season to 5 episodes instead of the normal 10-13 has forced the story arc to be told in a very compact fast paced format making this season the best one yet. A welcome change from the normal overlong stretch of American series television designed to fill up a 24 episode season.
  9. SlobodanH
    Jul 28, 2009
    Intriguing. Different. Action packed. And bit too much pathetic... And not so unexpected if you have seen previous seasons. Torchwood at it's best. And one of the bravest endings I have seen in SF so far... I'd like to give it 9,5 due to a bit excessive lenght, but since it's not possible, there goes 10 :)
  10. BarryM.
    Jul 27, 2009
    Not as good as season 1&2 but still very very enjoyable.
  11. GrahamL.
    Jul 25, 2009
    Absolutely gripping, more political thriller than sci-fi. Even if this kind of thing isn't your usual taste this is worth a try - it was a massive, mainstream hit in the UK. And Peter Capaldi is outstanding.
  12. TomL.
    Jul 24, 2009
    Apart from a few plotholes, best sci fi series I ever watched.
  13. JoeL.
    Jul 24, 2009
    This is what makes the BBC so bloody good and the best TV station in the World
  14. KenM.
    Jul 23, 2009
    Great fun to watch but the writing could have been a bit tighter -- the miniseries is 5 hours long and really should have been 4 hours long max. Several 2ndary characters just dont matter and would have been best cut out. Also, no spoliers here but the ending seemed rushed and lacked the dramatic effect it should have had. These are minor crits though -- it was good sci-fi fun.
  15. lizh
    Jul 23, 2009
    I am only on the third episode, and i have seen reviews saying that it does not keep up in this way, but I still think this is the best television i have seen in a long time.
  16. BenM.
    Jul 23, 2009
    This is deffo the best Torchwood series to date.. But it also sadly looks like the last. But i recommend this to anyone with an interest in this genre.
  17. MatthewM.
    Jul 21, 2009
    Some of the best TV I have ever seen, science fiction or otherwise. Darker and stronger than previous seasons, it won around many who had previously not cared for Torchwood. Its uncompromising story did cause some kerfuffle among a small sub-group of fans and I've a feeling they're making it down in this poll. Better to trust the reviewers above and the British public Some of the best TV I have ever seen, science fiction or otherwise. Darker and stronger than previous seasons, it won around many who had previously not cared for Torchwood. Its uncompromising story did cause some kerfuffle among a small sub-group of fans and I've a feeling they're making it down in this poll. Better to trust the reviewers above and the British public (Appreciation Index figures for the six million viewers ranged from 88 to 91 out of 100, over the five days) and give it a chance, you won't regret it. Expand
  18. GernickK.
    Jul 21, 2009
    This is pretty provocative stuff for TV, the acting is sterling (as usual on Torchwood) and some of the choices are surprising. Gripping stuff! Highly recommended.
  19. RodericR.
    Jul 20, 2009
    Brilliant. Amazing. Any fan of sci-fi will absolutely love this show. Non-fans of sci-fi will undoubtedly recognize it as a great show they would certainly watch.
  20. LeahT.
    Jul 20, 2009
    I thought the deaths of Tosh and Owen (in particular) last season would ruin the series. I have been proven wrong: CoE is engaging and evocative, if a bit slow in sections. It's nice to see the team (or half of it) n action once more. Although the writers are consistently making their jobs more difficult with these excessive casualties, they've begun to write really well.
  21. TrevN.
    Jul 20, 2009
    Seen in the UK 2 weeks ago...Watch and enjoy.

Amid the emotional crescendoes of the final hour (which the cast pulls off beautifully), in the pell-mell race to the finish line, there is some rushed storytelling and there are more than a few gaps in logic. But aside from those issues, Children of Earth is, as the Brits would say, bloody brilliant.
    Extraterrestrials are communicating through the young. But what do the visitors want? The answer and mankind’s response transform Children of Earth into an epic that should bring Torchwood to a wider audience. (The miniseries, a high point for summer television, will be available on DVD July 28.)
  3. This first episode has brief nods to the deaths last season of two series regulars--Owen and Toshiko--and it acknowledges advances in the relationship between bisexual Jack and Ianto (Gareth David-Lloyd). But more than anything it's a propulsive action-adventure.