Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
8.0

1. suzie
    Sep 10, 2007
    Brilliant show, not every episode is a 10 out of 10, but even the bad ones get an 8+ - How many shows can you say that about? It's a breath of TV fresh air, thank goodness. I'm so sick of reality television and mindless soap opera, it's nice to find a program that makes me want to turn on the television (why oh why did they cancel Angel after the excellent season 5??) Go Brilliant show, not every episode is a 10 out of 10, but even the bad ones get an 8+ - How many shows can you say that about? It's a breath of TV fresh air, thank goodness. I'm so sick of reality television and mindless soap opera, it's nice to find a program that makes me want to turn on the television (why oh why did they cancel Angel after the excellent season 5??) Go Torchwood, I'm looking forward to season 2. Expand
  2. DonaldD.
    Sep 5, 2008
    The best show to come to america, well one of the best, have to include Dr.Who, and Skins.
  3. LelandK.
    Oct 16, 2007
    A great companion piece to Doctor Who. Its X-Files meets NCIS. I digged the "Pan's Labyrinth" episode "Small Worlds". It was the sadness episode of the season.
  4. JosephL.
    Sep 6, 2007
    A show that starts of good, quirky and sexy but ends up by the final episode romantic, tearjerking, actionpacked and even sexier.
    Mar 28, 2008
    Great show, with the thrills and spills of doctor who with added kick.
  6. RebeccaP
    Apr 4, 2008
    I love this show and hope they don't take it off the air. It's raw, dark, sexy and completely origional, as are the characters.
  7. R
    May 21, 2009
    Love it . It's raw, dark, sexy and original, as are the characters.
  8. Stephanie
    Aug 1, 2009
    Torchwood is a great show. In my opinion its better than doctor who. I wish there were more shows like Torchwood in America.
  9. Chef
    Sep 24, 2007
    Very good, not at doctor who level yet, but i saw some more episodes and there are some brilliants, a good cast and very good scripts and story lines. I'll give it a 10 because it's between the better series in exhibition
  10. Jan 7, 2011
    Terrible show. Torchwood is supposedly a top-secret organization given unlimited resources and authority by UK government, and charged with defending Earth and being custodian of powerful alien artifacts. Yet: none of the personnel know anything about each other or have had background checks; none of the personnel have formal military training; all of the personnel are emotionalTerrible show. Torchwood is supposedly a top-secret organization given unlimited resources and authority by UK government, and charged with defending Earth and being custodian of powerful alien artifacts. Yet: none of the personnel know anything about each other or have had background checks; none of the personnel have formal military training; all of the personnel are emotional trainwrecks. Seriously: it seems like each episode, someone breaks down and cries as a result of the normal day-to-day duties of their job. The Earth is defended by incompetent crybabies. On the plus side, Captain Jack is an interesting character portrayed by a skilled actor. They should fire everyone else on the team, and start over. Expand
  11. Jan 4, 2015
    I'm just gunna pretend that Miracle day, didn't happen. However I guess that wouldn't be eas if Torchwood was real. Sorry need extra characters, hope you found this interesting.
  12. GilesE.
    Sep 6, 2007
    Excellent series, saw it in the UK. Can't wait for season 2 over here! The last couple of episodes are epic btw :)
  13. MikeM.
    Oct 25, 2007
    In the shadow of Doctor Who it suffers, but on it's own, it's a fun show which is the best parts of other genre favorites (like The X Files and Alias). I have a feeling Season 2 will be even better as the show finds it's own voice.
  14. SheliaS.
    Sep 11, 2007
    So far, so good, I have heard that this show just keep getting better. Captain Jack harkness is something we haven
  15. clairew.
    Sep 6, 2007
    Some fantiastic episodes, John Barrowman as Captain Jack is fantastic but watch out for Ianto Jones who is just excellent, and looks damn cute in a suit too!
  16. BrandonA
    Mar 4, 2008
    While set in the Dr. Who universe, it is not constrained by Dr. Who's unflinching optimism. The characters are much stronger and the plots are darker. It is the best parts of the X-files combined with flair of Dr. Who.
  17. RachelK.
    Oct 8, 2007
    This new show on BBC is a fantastic veiw! The acting in the series is granted a two thumbs up, As for the romantic sections, the actors/actresses did a phenomenal job making the mood feel right. The special effects lack that of big blockbuster films, but this is still a Television show and there are more financial difficulties. My favorite actor plays the role of Owen Harper, a cunning This new show on BBC is a fantastic veiw! The acting in the series is granted a two thumbs up, As for the romantic sections, the actors/actresses did a phenomenal job making the mood feel right. The special effects lack that of big blockbuster films, but this is still a Television show and there are more financial difficulties. My favorite actor plays the role of Owen Harper, a cunning and sly chap! But I'll let you decide for yourself. Expand
  18. CaitlinK.
    Sep 10, 2007
    Full of wit, sex, and darkness,
  19. KorenB.
    Sep 10, 2007
    Anyone that is a fan of Doctor Who (old or new series) will love Torchwood. It brings back fan-favorite Captain Jack from the 2005 series. Jack finds himself back in Cardiff, a town on the Welsh border that has been emphasized in the new DW series. How and why he's there is left a mystery. Just because it's a Doctor Who spin of doesn't mean it's for kids. This series Anyone that is a fan of Doctor Who (old or new series) will love Torchwood. It brings back fan-favorite Captain Jack from the 2005 series. Jack finds himself back in Cardiff, a town on the Welsh border that has been emphasized in the new DW series. How and why he's there is left a mystery. Just because it's a Doctor Who spin of doesn't mean it's for kids. This series is darker and more adult, but has the same tones of campiness that older DW fans can love. The seriousness allows for deeper exploration of the characters. Expand
  20. jim
    Sep 12, 2007
    Great show, great cast, best new show in years!
  21. LynnL.
    Sep 7, 2007
    Fantastic show -- different than anything we get here in the US. Can't wait for series 2.
  22. JaneK.
    Dec 7, 2007
    An entertaining show... though mainly carried by Captain Jack and wondering who in the world he's going to smooch next.
  23. GwionJ.
    Sep 12, 2007
    The writing in series 1 was a bit patchy, leaving plenty of room for improvement in series 2, but that was easily outweighed by the sheer brilliance of the concept and execution. Edgy storylines, well-rounded and believable characters and stunning locations make this a show not to be missed. Leaves other "safe" sci-fi shows standing.
  24. KarenA.
    Dec 22, 2007
    I like the variety in styles between the episodes. Although I enjoy Dr. Who, this seems less cartoony. I'm hooked.
  25. Jul 13, 2011
    A thrill ride that actually makes you think.

A thrill ride that actually makes you think.

Torchwood is a British show that has lived a charmed life over the years but remains to be as resilient as its immortal lead character. After the hit and (largely) miss first two seasons the show exploded onto a much bigger, and critically acclaimed, scene with the five-part mini-series 'Children of Earth' in which the British government conspired to surrender 10% of its children to an alien species. Captain Jack Harkness (the immortal hero played by John Barrowman, star of Desperate Housewives among others) was forced to sacrifice his grandson in order to defeat the invaders in a shocking twist in the final episode. Torchwood had finally found its feet and discovered how to create shocking, thrilling, chilling and thoughtful drama and it hasn't looked back since.

'Miracle Day' starts with Oswald Danes (played by the thoroughly magnificent Independence Day star, Bill Pullman) being dosed with a lethal injection as punishment for the sexual assault and murder of a twelve year old girl but something goes horribly wrong. After a few minutes of writhing agony it becomes clear; he won't die. Mekhi Phifer's CIA character Rex Matheson suffers a similar fate when his is impaled after a freak car accident as it becomes clear that this issue has become a global one. Dark themes are explored here with solders, of whom are blown to bits, remain alive (even after being beheaded by a surgeon in a chilling/funny scene halfway through the premiere). Danes, the now immortal murderer, argues that he has been punished for his crimes and that now should be released; a wish that is granted by a local governor threatened by legal action. The Torchwood team, in ruins after the events of 'Children of Earth' come back into the fold to unravel the mystery in explosive fashion as Captain Jack leaps from a suicide bomber out the top floor of a tower block and Gwen Cooper (Welsh actress Eve Myles) blows up a helicopter with a bazooka, obviously. Torchwood is a mix of fascinating intrigue, sound acting, mind-blowing action sequences, chilling themes and impressive writing (from the likes of Doctor Who's Russell T Davies, House's Doris Egan and Buffy's Jane Espenson). Despite a few questionable moments, Torchwood is unashamedly magnificent madness which you'd be a fool to miss.
  26. JoshF
    Sep 10, 2007
    This show is great - one of my favorite shows right now. It's equally humorous, intense, campy, insightful and action-packed. I was never a Doctor Who fan, and I think most TV Sci-Fi is pretty lame. There's just something about this show, though, and I love the setting (Wales). Can't wait for Season 2 - there better be one!
  27. SindreF.
    Sep 11, 2007
    Not as good as Doctor Who but still awsome!
  28. PeterBellamy
    Sep 21, 2007
    I watched the first series in the UK and was dubious on a number of levels... I'm watching it again in the US with glee.. the second time around seems less burdoned by the whole Dr Who spinoff syndrome. And knowing the story arc means I can enjoy the wickedness even more.
  29. DrewF
    Sep 6, 2007
    I also caught this series in the UK. It starts off a bit slow, and the main character is a bit of a twit, but at around Episode 4 it REALLY kicks into high gear and is fantastic the rest of the way. Definitely worth checking out for any Doctor Who fan! Though be warned, it IS meant for adults. Don't let the kiddies watch this one....
  30. PeterJ.
    Nov 13, 2007
    Watching this on HDNet and I give it an 8 because the cinematography is awesome. A solid 6 show premise wise, which isnt bad at all. Acting is solid as well.
  31. Jul 16, 2011
    "Torchwood: Miracle Day" doesn't have the old (british) feel to it. I'm enjoying the new season nonetheless. Mekhi Phifer is doing a great job. Can't wait to see what happens next.
  32. MirandaP.
    Sep 23, 2007
    No, it's not a classic, and it's not as good as the current incarnation of "Doctor Who," but it's still a heck of a lot better than (for example) "Flash Gordon." Definitely watchable.
  33. Aug 12, 2014
    Great series to start off with, hooked by episode 2. Series 3 was brilliant, but series 4 let it down and took 3 off my score. Series 1 had great characters, great story, and intriguing. Series 2 was, again, great. Sad death of Owen and Tosh, quite emotional to be fair. Series 4 was too long to say it was one story arch, it was also irrelevant to Torchwood, without aliens, it's not Torchwood
  34. Jul 24, 2011
    Torchwood is original, clever, inventive, exciting and all around great sci-fi. Unfortunately, in the first season at least, the tone is completely inconsistent, most of the characters are unconvincing and underdeveloped and some of the dialogue is gut-wrenchingly awful. Good news then that these problems are (almost) entirely fixed by the second series, where the show becomes one of theTorchwood is original, clever, inventive, exciting and all around great sci-fi. Unfortunately, in the first season at least, the tone is completely inconsistent, most of the characters are unconvincing and underdeveloped and some of the dialogue is gut-wrenchingly awful. Good news then that these problems are (almost) entirely fixed by the second series, where the show becomes one of the best around. I would recommend this (occasionally excellent but mostly mediocre) first series simply because of how good it gets in the next. Expand
  35. Sep 7, 2011
    Interesting premise. I want to like the show and am close to doing so but, can the show be about the central plot and a little less about Jack being Gay? Yes, yes, we all get it. He's gay and has been gay for a very long time but, the seemingly forced gay thread woven into every episode is a distraction. I don't really care that Jack likes hot guys. . . what does it have to do with theInteresting premise. I want to like the show and am close to doing so but, can the show be about the central plot and a little less about Jack being Gay? Yes, yes, we all get it. He's gay and has been gay for a very long time but, the seemingly forced gay thread woven into every episode is a distraction. I don't really care that Jack likes hot guys. . . what does it have to do with the darn plot? It's almost as if, there's a quota of gay sex & love scenes that needs to be worked into every episode whether or not it has anything to do with the central theme of the story to satisfy some count.

Producers & Writers episode planning meetings:

+ Gory chest wound on should be dead actor - Check
    + One world government conspiracy subtext - Check
    + Secrete evil society lurking in the shadows pulling the strings - Check
    + Seemingly pointless 5 minute man on man sex scene - Check Throttle it back a bit already. . . . . we get it! And for the most part, don't care. Is the show a science fiction drama or an audition reel for the LOGO network. Make up your mind already. . . .
  36. Oct 11, 2014
    This season was up and down, watching it for the first time I felt like owen as a dickhead, Toshiko was really one note, Ianto does jack **** and the only characters I some what cared about were jack and gwen, that was until gwen cheated on Reice with Owen. however putting that part aside I enjoyed the season for it's runtime, I just hope Owen, Ianto and Tosh get more expansion nextThis season was up and down, watching it for the first time I felt like owen as a dickhead, Toshiko was really one note, Ianto does jack **** and the only characters I some what cared about were jack and gwen, that was until gwen cheated on Reice with Owen. however putting that part aside I enjoyed the season for it's runtime, I just hope Owen, Ianto and Tosh get more expansion next season. some of the episodes were quite plain and dull but there were a few standouts. but quite a lot sucked. Expand
  37. mark
    Sep 8, 2007
    A few ok episodes, but a humorless mess most of the time. Have no idea how they managed to make Jack Harkness such a dull and boring character. Can't hold a candle to Dr. Who.
  38. Dec 19, 2012
    Noioso, privo di una trama concreta, e in alcuni punti decisamente onirico. Peccato sarebbe potuto essere qualcosa di bello come lo spunto da dove è partito cioè il Doctor Who.
    Un po meglio dalla 3 stagione
  39. Jeff
    Apr 15, 2008
    This first season was terrible. Eric E's earlier review hits on pretty much every point I think needs to be made about the show and the Newark Star-Ledger's review puts it in perfectly concise terms. I'm not sure the show was created as an agenda pusher, but I'm pretty sure every character in the show is gay/bi and that's just ridiculously hard to believe (also This first season was terrible. Eric E's earlier review hits on pretty much every point I think needs to be made about the show and the Newark Star-Ledger's review puts it in perfectly concise terms. I'm not sure the show was created as an agenda pusher, but I'm pretty sure every character in the show is gay/bi and that's just ridiculously hard to believe (also makes it hard to believe it's not an agenda pushing show, but I digress). The biggest tragedy of the season was how they spend several episodes building up the "big bad" for the last episode and it's solved quickly and in a MOST unfulfilling manner. The only episode I liked this season was the one that had nothing supernatural going on (Countrycide, I believe). Expand
  40. LauraM.
    Sep 6, 2007
    Did you all see the same Torchwood I saw? It makes NO sense and isn't even fun like Dr Who, where its OK to not make that much sense? The characters are SO not believable at all and the acting (except for a couple of the episodes) is wooden and contrived. The stories are all "been there, done that" - (can you say, 'fight club'?) Dont get me wrong I want it to do well, I Did you all see the same Torchwood I saw? It makes NO sense and isn't even fun like Dr Who, where its OK to not make that much sense? The characters are SO not believable at all and the acting (except for a couple of the episodes) is wooden and contrived. The stories are all "been there, done that" - (can you say, 'fight club'?) Dont get me wrong I want it to do well, I really do! I loooove Dr Who and LOOOVED Captain Jack in Dr Who, but for some reason this show falls flat. I watched all of season 1 already and found 4 episodes that were what I would expect in this spinoff. Sadly, the rest were so illogical that I think I actually felt a brain aneurysm starting to form. Unfortunately, this is a great premise that really takes itself too seriously, and with the writing it has, it shouldn't. Maybe season 2 will be better... I sure hope so! Expand
  41. Charlie
    Dec 12, 2007
    Just watch scary episodes of Doctor Who. This is a terrible show.
  42. EricE.
    Jan 18, 2008
    This shows first season was absolutely terrible. The story lines went from terrible to mediocre. The acting was mediocre. The show says it is for grown ups and proves that it is by swearing here and there and showing nudity for no purpose other than to prove that it is for grown ups. The swearing and nudity does not further the story line at all. They just seem to be thrown in as an This shows first season was absolutely terrible. The story lines went from terrible to mediocre. The acting was mediocre. The show says it is for grown ups and proves that it is by swearing here and there and showing nudity for no purpose other than to prove that it is for grown ups. The swearing and nudity does not further the story line at all. They just seem to be thrown in as an afterthought. Oh ya thats right we are for grown ups, so lets have you show your butt and you say the f word. The story lines don't seem to be story lines for grown ups, in fact most of them seem very cheesy/tongue in cheek like Doctor Who (which I don't mind cheesy because I love Doctor Who), they just don't fit with their "adult theme". Each character has had a gay scene just for the sake of showing gay scenes. I can understand one/two gay character but all of them? This show is just about pushing agenda's through bad storytelling. If they want to push agenda's at least tell us a good story. Expand
  43. MartinS.
    Aug 22, 2008
    I don't know whats worse the acting or the writing. A major disappointment.
  44. Sally
    Sep 21, 2007
    Rises to "mediocre" on occasion but this is truly one of the more dreadful genre programs to come down the pike in recent memory. Terrible television with poor production values, bland characters substitute a checklist of hip antihero traits rather than personality and episode plots that liberally raid from better shows. Obviously sailing by on the strength of the Doctor Who brand and the Rises to "mediocre" on occasion but this is truly one of the more dreadful genre programs to come down the pike in recent memory. Terrible television with poor production values, bland characters substitute a checklist of hip antihero traits rather than personality and episode plots that liberally raid from better shows. Obviously sailing by on the strength of the Doctor Who brand and the novelty of bisexual characters. Yawn. Expand
  45. Aug 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a fan of Doctor Who, I went into this really wanting to like Torchwood and with an open mind that it would be very different despite being a spin-off. The most obvious change is that it Expand
  46. DuncanL
    Sep 11, 2007
    I watched this when it first came out in the UK, and was bitterly, bitterly disappointed. The characters are appalling and unpleasant, the stories are dreadfull and the acting is abysmal. I gave up entirely after the cyberwoman episode, which was one of the worst hours of TV I've ever witnessed.
  47. Jun 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Seriously, an 8.0 from this piece?
    What to say amidst the sea of contrived, melodramatic posts from users AND actual reviewers?
    Ok I'll take a stab at it, this series is to tv, what M.Night is to directing, everything is SO godawful that I can't understand how it got as many fans as it did.
    So there's gay scenes in it-ooohhhh how risque.
    A stupid woman substitutes one abusive dickhole for a ratfaced abusive dickhole, the march of feminism moves on here.
    Seriously, like most shows these days, the problem with Torchwood isnt in its cast(I've seen them in other non-who stuff and they're just fine) its the characters that are 'just there', I mean come on, what need does Toshiko fill other than the cute lab geek that has bi-tendences?
    I could ask the same of every character, even Jack and they had the best chance to really make him deep, somewhat sick of life with being completely immortal, but all he really wants to know is "whats on the other side" why jack, wondering what your missing out on. Because y'know, I'm ok with you being gay, doesn't mean I'm gonna walk up to you and ask questions about your sex life.
    Yet people rave, they sit down and ask for more, they like the boring, mind numbing plotless stories that fifteen year olds post on fanfiction.net.

1. There are a fair number of leaps of logic in the light-hearted Torchwood and mysteries abound. The special effects are generally decent and the writing and characterizations leaps and bounds better than in "Flash Gordon," "Eureka" or "The Dresden Files," to name just a few pathetic contemporary sci-fi shows.
  2. Torchwood is grand fun and great adult entertainment.
  3. It at times seems like a pornographic parody of "The X-Files."