Treme : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Apr 11, 2010
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
8.0

1. May 25, 2013
    Created by the same team that brought us The Wire I was certainly looking forward to watching Treme. I have now watched the entire first season and Treme does reproduce much of what made The Wire so great namely a well written script, realistic plot development, interesting characters and some fantastic acting.
    As with The Wire however, Treme can also be slightly slow in places but, where
    As with The Wire however, Treme can also be slightly slow in places but, where as The Wire always had the constant conflict between and amongst the criminals and law enforcement to retain viewer interest during slower periods, there is no over arching story within Treme that is able to recreate what kept me hooked throughout the five seasons of The Wire.

As a result (and I almost hate myself for saying this) I found it incredibly difficult to get into this series and, despite all the positives I mentioned, I will be unlikely to tune into the second season.
  2. Jul 15, 2011
    As always with HBO shows, my expectations were very high. The setting was exiting, so was the cast; with a lot of familiar faces from "The Wire", possibly the best TV series ever.

The pace of the show is very slow, which is always a high risk. It requires not only patience from the viewer, but also very high quality acting, writing and aesthetics. You cannot hide behind thrill and suspense, to cover other weaknesses. But on the other hand, the ones that have succeeded with this formula, are the best of TV history, in my opinion ("The Wire", "Sopranos", "Six Feet Under").

I was willing to give it some time, as I needed to get into "The Wire" or "Six Feet Under". And I did watch the entire first season, still undecided on whether I liked it or not. Because the show has great, believable portraits of the city of New Orleans, it's unique culture, and how it's people struggle to get their city back on it's feet; but there seemed to something not quite right.

Four episodes into the second season, I've finally had it. Half of the show now, is pretty much live concerts. We got it, New Orleans has a vibrant flair and a great music scene. Give us the stories! You got a show with great actors, and good writers too. The characters have the complexity I'm looking for in a show like this, the stories seem authentic and believable. So why are you wasting our time with never-ending music sessions? As it is now, one might as well watch a travel channel special on New Orleans. I don't need to see endless scenes from bar-room concerts, or marching bands. Give me stories, and the development of them! It's really a pity, because there is enough potential here to make a great series. Maybe the episodes should be cut down to 30-40 minutes?
  3. Aug 7, 2014
    I just couldn't get into it.. I wanted to become as absorbed with New Orleans as much I was absorbed with Baltimore in "The Wire". I just didn't like any of the characters much. Some of them I really disliked to be honest. It could have been really good but it just never took off for me..

1. Reviewed by: Paige Wiser
    As a series, Treme is a tough slog. I was by turns confused, bored and sad.
  2. Unlike "The Wire," the pacing is lazy. Many of the moments seem authentic, but to paraphrase director Alfred Hitchcock: A good show is life minus the boring parts.
    By the third episode of the three that HBO sent, the show had begun to find a rhythm, and the sometimes sprawling narrative (which will unfold over 10 episodes in the show's first season) had begun to gel in a promising way.