• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 7, 2008
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6
7.5

1. Aug 30, 2010
    The thing that makes True Blood remarkable is the energetic gulf between the supernatural and the mundane. Bon Temps is a fictional town fully stocked with the unremarkable and yet the characters are everything but (with only a few rare exceptions such as Marlene). It would be easy to be lulled by the background if someone's head wasn't being ripped off every few minutes. This is a town where a flamboyant, arrogant, homosexual, drug-dealing angry black man's tirade comes off as comic relief. I suppose the fact that every show begins with a woman screaming is just the writer's way of letting us know it's time to pay attention to the TV again. This excellent work functions as both social commentary and horror-fantasy of the highest order. It's as primal as Andy Bellefleur's advice to Jason Stackhouse: Dick on, conscience off. And everything IS alright! Expand
  2. Aug 29, 2010
    When "True Blood" first aired, I worried that soap and silliness would prevail over weirdness and mystery, and it has. Sometimes Lafayette and Sam seem the only characters able to balance comedy and the uncanny, while everyone else devolves into sentimental caricature. Godric raised the bar for a bit in Season Two, then Maryann dropped it again, and it has stayed low throughout Season Three so far. I don't see the werewolves contributing much, and, yes, I get that they represent an existential underclass and so illuminate the social stratification of the supernatural world. The King of Mississippi is a disappointment; with the exception of a single special effect, nothing about the performance reads 3,000 years old or hugely potent, where Godric and 1st-season Eric did give off flashes of ancient power. But the real heartbreaker for me is James Frain, normally a master of intelligent menace, who should have been allowed to raise Rutina Wesley's game and finally make her Tara interesting. Instead, they're locked in competition to see who can make sillier faces, as though the camera is a bored toddler in line at the grocery store. Bill and Lorena are just rehashing the same old grievance (albeit with more blood), and Pam, as usual, is undeservedly relegated to obscurity. Jessica, too, seems wasted, aside from a few pointless hijinks, and Eric's evil charisma has gone the way of his hair. As for our undead Romeo and mind-reading Juliet, I remain bored, as "Angel" and "Moonlight" exhausted what little interest I had in Pinocchio Vampires and their ambivalent human sweeties. Note to writers: vacillation does not equal drama. When I saw Stephen Moyer as a truly eerie bloodsucker in the first episode of "Ultraviolet" the other night, I realized how much more compelling Bill would be with an edge. Yeah, I know: his wickedness in the '30s is supposed to supply it, but it's too far in the past, too thoroughly regretted, and too blamed on Lorena to cast a psychic shadow. The show is supposed to be about a population that has just made peace with humanity after millennia of predation and fear; everything, even the comedy, should be darker. Expand
  3. Nov 3, 2010
    What a big disappointment, it was to be expected. The way season 2 ended hinted that the fantasy over the top ride was not slowing down. They introduced way too many things and the writers now have a tough job of keeping the credibility of this show for next season. The only way they can save it is by focusing on vampires again and putting a stop on all the fantasy creatures. What drew me into this show was the notion of vampires coming out into the public light, but they lost me when they started to focus on other things. Expand
  4. Aug 28, 2010
    After the relative lull of season 2, True Blood returns - now even bloodier and with 400% more Nazi werewolves, white trash shape shifters, fairies and mad gay vampire kings!
  5. Oct 31, 2010
    Gruesomely bad. I loved season one, and thought season two was very good, but season three is just nauseating. It's patently obvious that neither Anna Paquin nor Stephen Moyer believe the lines they're reciting.
    Alan Ball must be off his meds...
  6. Aug 29, 2010
    A truly magical experience with a stunning cast to boot. Season 3 is the best season yet, and surprisingly, the most action packed -- though the gore and sex never detracts from the overall package.
  7. Sep 17, 2010
    I've been a fan of True Blood from season one but my interest has been thinning out with subsequent seasons. Season 3 has taken a Twilight turn to its detriment with the introduction of the werewolves. What originality there was in the beginning has been eroded with what seems to be a repetition of sub-plots from season 2. The King and Queen added nothing. Sookie discovering what she really is a let down and "f$%&ing lame" as she so aptly said.
    In essence, this show should either come to an end in Season 4 or be amped up. Season 3 while somewhat entertaining, will somehow end up disappointing.
  8. Sep 4, 2010
    How the hell is this show on the same network that aired gems like The Wire, Deadwood, The Sopranos? Don't buy into the hype. True Blood is nothing more than a Lifetime Channel soap opera with more nudity, a show put on solely to milk the loathsome fad of vampire romance.
  9. Sep 6, 2010
    I had heard that this is the first year that they were deviating totally from the Sookie Stackhouse books and it shows. It is sad but the show has lost a lot of its freshness and it is now following so many of the standard TV show conventions.
  10. Sep 6, 2010
    Ugly actors, terrible show. A few of the supporting characters are worth watching but the main characters are annoying and should be either muted or avoided if you watch this show.
  11. Aug 12, 2010
    True Blood tv show getting better & better as seasons coming along.True Blood faces very positive review from people.I mainly see the tv show online for free on iwatchtruebloodonline.com .This tv show rocks.
  12. Sep 23, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing cast.

Season 3 was definetly better than the second season. Season finale was a little disappointment compared to what the two episodes before that were promising. Mainly setup for the next season.
  13. Oct 13, 2010
    It's remarkable that the show has continued to improve with each passing season and season 3 is an incredible ride. An outstanding performance from Denis O'Hare, True Blood season 3 is more gripping, more bloody than before. It loses a bit of pace towards the end however this is still a an outstanding vampire show.
  14. Nov 14, 2010
    I was skeptical of this show considering how annoying I find the Twilight-esque teen vampire fad to be. After finally relenting, I sat down with some friends and watched the show and I can definitely say that it deviates enough from the overall vampire fad to be watchable. I'm afraid that season 4 will be a little too far-out to keep me interested, but it's still worth checking out for now.
  15. Mar 8, 2011
    Remarkable show. Extremely well done, very creative. Great actors. Great fx. Awesome soundtrack. The plot is a little hard to follow with so many things going on, but definitely worth watching.
  16. Jun 11, 2011
    I explained this to my friend and he understood, but I am not sure you will but I am going to say it. Even though the show is American, this season became very American. The season is written well and after re-watching the season, I feel Russell to be a good antagonist and someone who we will see a lot more of, but they focused too much on the controversy and the "gruesomeness". The head twist was so obviously fake and did they really need to have so many shots of people covered in blood. Still enjoyed it though. Expand
  17. Jun 27, 2011
    I can't see others point. Russell was my favorite so far in True Blood, and I learned characters true motives. I couldn't wait to find out what happens next in season 4!
  18. Sep 29, 2011
    When I for the first heard that there was made TV show of the Sookie Stackhouse books. I was excited, the first season was super great and the second was great. but now is the show is losing the freshness and the funny things of the books. I love the books, but are not following the books. It's a very disappointment.
  19. Dec 20, 2013
    Season three isn't quite as entertaining as season two, but it's an improvement over season one as well. Too many new characters are introduced and it's hard to connect with them on a personal level, unlike a majority of the others present in the show. Nonetheless, True Blood still keeps its remarkable balance between great television and shallow mediocrity tipped in its favor and the result is a rather grand spectacle of comedy, action, horror, and fantasy. Just a warning, however, that this season ends on a rather ridiculous note, but it's not a major blow to season three overall. Worth watching in my book. Expand
  20. tst

g
    h
    s
  21. May 22, 2012
    Can I have my review deleted, please? Thank you it is as follows:

Back when True Blood started, it was a tale of vampire meets girl. Its premise sounded dull and not very intriguing, more so than any other show on HBO. It was also released amongst the still ongoing Twilight craze, people will still roll their eyes when they hear the word " vampire." True Blood had everything going
    against it, yet it still became a success. Why? It's mainly because it is more appealing in the way that it's more sophisticated than Twilight, it is a show with cleverness, depth, strong characters, dark comedy, and a strong sense of reality (this show constantly amuses itself and us by letting us know that it knows it is full of itself.) So then, why has the show gone from amazingly great to extremely bad? It's because it went in over its head; it turned into the exact opposite of what it was supposed to be. The show divides its time between story lines that aren't interesting, it has turned the characters into the stereotypes they were trying not to be, and the show became too full of itself and this time nobody is laughing. I've watched every episode of season three and I'm not saying that it changed for the worse, rather it just lost sight of what it means to be an actually good show, hopefully only for the moment. This was an off season, like the first eight episodes of season two were, but instead it dragged on for the whole season without any improvement. Hopefully Alan Ball, the creator of the show, will get things on track again with season four, but I am no longer eagerly waiting for summer, not after this season's extremely disappointing finale. Expand
  22. May 20, 2011
    I really enjoyed True Blood Seasons One and Two. I began watching Season 3 with excitement but was quickly disappointed with the direction of things. Seems great emphasis is being placed on homosexual activity. Even amongst those characters that have had traditional heterosexual roles in earlier seasons. If HBO expects to keep their viewers they better stop the homo crap!!!
  23. Jun 9, 2011
    I hate writing this. I was addicted to True Blood seasons 1 and 2. As I watch this season, I can't help feeling sad. It's laughably bad and I mean that I literally laugh out loud at the inane lines. There are way too many plot lines happening leaving no room for explanation of any of it. My wife and I will often look at each other in bewilderment at the new character who just appears for no reason. Or the sheriff just suddenly quits. Shouldn't we see a few episodes of him getting more and more tired of his job first?

The plot lines vacillate wildly back and forth and each plot-line is simply filled with conflict between characters and boring conflict at that. There are many writing mistakes in this season beginning with writing a character for which every scene is required to be inside the same house (the King). Also the plot hinges upon the structure of the merging of the vampire royal hierar.... schhnnnhhnnnnn

The first two seasons were wonderful because we got to see the characters grow and become attached to each other. There was smart satire, sex, suspense, social-commentary, and mystery. This season has characters yelling at each other constantly that has me cheering when another character says to another "that's enough".

It feels like it was written by high-school drama students.

Hint to writers for Season 4. These are the characters I want to see developâ
  24. Jun 22, 2011
    I'm not a fan of vampire shows. But this one is probably the best out there. It has interesting characters and doesn't centre only on vampires. There are also other 'creatures' involved. What I didn't like was, that each season is one story the seasons themselves do not connect to a greater story line. also everything seems to be very linear, it is like watching someone play a computer game, where at the end they defeat the big monster. Expand
  25. Aug 26, 2012
    Possibly one of the best seasons of True Blood, that has much more suspense and jaw-dropping twists than the previous seasons and Dennis O'Hare does a brilliant performance as the new villain.
  26. Nov 3, 2011
    I was totally hooked with seasons 1 & 2 but season 3 is just silly, difficult to follow and bitty. we need to be back to the fantastic love story and triangle building between Sookie, Bill, and Eric. The whole story in 3 is nonsicle and hard to follow, who is double crossing who, who is truly bad and and who is just acting bad.
    I have gone from a 10 out of 10 to a 4/5. There is too much
    script and scene jumping around. I love the jessica story and feel that should be developed more. having not read the books I can not compare but feel the writers should listen to the viewers, get back to the town and the old fashioned Bill and eric. However I do like the way we have found out a little more of sexy Erics past, that and HIM I can do more of. Expand
  27. Apr 28, 2012
    True Blood season three is by far the better out of the first three seasons, because it had a likeable antagonist, more suspense and had heaps of action packed moments. This season still provides the humour and performances that I still liked from season one.
  28. Jul 10, 2012
    The third season of True Blood really shows that the writers have really mastered the villain, and it really shows in the quality of this season. Yes, Russel is a psycho vampire, but he has a personality that's equally (and impressively) as dark and deranged. Bill and Sookie are as dumb as ever, but True Blood's third season follows the show's tradition of improving season by season.
  29. Aug 10, 2013
    Ok, I must admit that this show is as addicting as taking V is to the characters. So maybe I'm a little biased. However, this takes vampire shows far away from the stupid, mundane, romantically moronic stage its been in in a great way. Yeah, the characters are ugly and lifelike I totally dig it! No sparkly images of vampire perfection here! the vamps are raw, gory, and brutal, but they're really just humans that have been around for a long time nothing too cheesy here. Maybe they just seem ugly because they look usually do look dead once in awhile there will be a shot of Bill or Eric where they're actually really hot, and its surprising. Maybe these actors are actually attractive in real life! I appreciate the show for how it combines the very real and lifelike settings and characters (you feel like you've met these people before) with the supernatural. Yeah, it can feel a little cluttered with new characters, and sometimes the attempt at suspense is obnoxious (like how long we have to wait to find out "what Sookie is," and the back and forth drama of whether or not Bill actually loves Sookie, if he can be trusted, etc.) In some places the show would have been better to stick with the stories in the book not so manipulated. Also annoying is Tara's tormented soul performance inner turmoil does not have to, and usually doesn't, play out on the face. That's why it's called "inner." And Thank You for not killing off Lafayette in the first book! He's one of the best characters yet. But even though I thought Sookie was annoying at first, I've grown to love her girlishness, her hot temper, her voracious sexual imagination and her larger than life confidence. Reminds me of some 20 some year old women I know! Expand
  30. Oct 10, 2013
    Very addicting. Season three is really great. The only thing annoying about this season is the infuriating beginning of a love triangle, which is so over done.
  31. Oct 19, 2013
    this was the first bad season of true blood, after two good seasons the series fell quality with a terrible script, she started getting good there to the middle yet she was of low quality.

The show, as fast-paced as ever, is crammed with subplots this season, some of which will be more engaging than others.
  2. The discussion of vampire politics seems toothless at times, but True excels at setting up episode-ending cliffhangers. The episode pacing is superb.
    The werewolves appear ready to supply some interesting, if rough-edged stories, but certain Season 3 plots wouldn't be missed if they faded away.