• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 7, 2008
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
7.5

1. Nov 3, 2010
    What a big disappointment, it was to be expected. The way season 2 ended hinted that the fantasy over the top ride was not slowing down. They introduced way too many things and the writers now have a tough job of keeping the credibility of this show for next season. The only way they can save it is by focusing on vampires again and putting a stop on all the fantasy creatures. What drew meWhat a big disappointment, it was to be expected. The way season 2 ended hinted that the fantasy over the top ride was not slowing down. They introduced way too many things and the writers now have a tough job of keeping the credibility of this show for next season. The only way they can save it is by focusing on vampires again and putting a stop on all the fantasy creatures. What drew me into this show was the notion of vampires coming out into the public light, but they lost me when they started to focus on other things. Expand
  2. Aug 29, 2010
    When "True Blood" first aired, I worried that soap and silliness would prevail over weirdness and mystery, and it has. Sometimes Lafayette and Sam seem the only characters able to balance comedy and the uncanny, while everyone else devolves into sentimental caricature. Godric raised the bar for a bit in Season Two, then Maryann dropped it again, and it has stayed low throughout SeasonWhen "True Blood" first aired, I worried that soap and silliness would prevail over weirdness and mystery, and it has. Sometimes Lafayette and Sam seem the only characters able to balance comedy and the uncanny, while everyone else devolves into sentimental caricature. Godric raised the bar for a bit in Season Two, then Maryann dropped it again, and it has stayed low throughout Season Three so far. I don't see the werewolves contributing much, and, yes, I get that they represent an existential underclass and so illuminate the social stratification of the supernatural world. The King of Mississippi is a disappointment; with the exception of a single special effect, nothing about the performance reads 3,000 years old or hugely potent, where Godric and 1st-season Eric did give off flashes of ancient power. But the real heartbreaker for me is James Frain, normally a master of intelligent menace, who should have been allowed to raise Rutina Wesley's game and finally make her Tara interesting. Instead, they're locked in competition to see who can make sillier faces, as though the camera is a bored toddler in line at the grocery store. Bill and Lorena are just rehashing the same old grievance (albeit with more blood), and Pam, as usual, is undeservedly relegated to obscurity. Jessica, too, seems wasted, aside from a few pointless hijinks, and Eric's evil charisma has gone the way of his hair. As for our undead Romeo and mind-reading Juliet, I remain bored, as "Angel" and "Moonlight" exhausted what little interest I had in Pinocchio Vampires and their ambivalent human sweeties. Note to writers: vacillation does not equal drama. When I saw Stephen Moyer as a truly eerie bloodsucker in the first episode of "Ultraviolet" the other night, I realized how much more compelling Bill would be with an edge. Yeah, I know: his wickedness in the '30s is supposed to supply it, but it's too far in the past, too thoroughly regretted, and too blamed on Lorena to cast a psychic shadow. The show is supposed to be about a population that has just made peace with humanity after millennia of predation and fear; everything, even the comedy, should be darker. Expand
  3. Sep 6, 2010
    I had heard that this is the first year that they were deviating totally from the Sookie Stackhouse books and it shows. It is sad but the show has lost a lot of its freshness and it is now following so many of the standard TV show conventions.
  4. Jun 11, 2011
    I explained this to my friend and he understood, but I am not sure you will but I am going to say it. Even though the show is American, this season became very American. The season is written well and after re-watching the season, I feel Russell to be a good antagonist and someone who we will see a lot more of, but they focused too much on the controversy and the "gruesomeness". The headI explained this to my friend and he understood, but I am not sure you will but I am going to say it. Even though the show is American, this season became very American. The season is written well and after re-watching the season, I feel Russell to be a good antagonist and someone who we will see a lot more of, but they focused too much on the controversy and the "gruesomeness". The head twist was so obviously fake and did they really need to have so many shots of people covered in blood. Still enjoyed it though. Expand
  5. Nov 3, 2011
    I was totally hooked with seasons 1 & 2 but season 3 is just silly, difficult to follow and bitty. we need to be back to the fantastic love story and triangle building between Sookie, Bill, and Eric. The whole story in 3 is nonsicle and hard to follow, who is double crossing who, who is truly bad and and who is just acting bad.
    I have gone from a 10 out of 10 to a 4/5. There is too much
    I have gone from a 10 out of 10 to a 4/5. There is too much script and scene jumping around. I love the jessica story and feel that should be developed more. having not read the books I can not compare but feel the writers should listen to the viewers, get back to the town and the old fashioned Bill and eric. However I do like the way we have found out a little more of sexy Erics past, that and HIM I can do more of.
  6. Oct 19, 2013
    this was the first bad season of true blood, after two good seasons the series fell quality with a terrible script, she started getting good there to the middle yet she was of low quality.

The show, as fast-paced as ever, is crammed with subplots this season, some of which will be more engaging than others.
  2. The discussion of vampire politics seems toothless at times, but True excels at setting up episode-ending cliffhangers. The episode pacing is superb.
    The werewolves appear ready to supply some interesting, if rough-edged stories, but certain Season 3 plots wouldn't be missed if they faded away.