True Blood : Season 4

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 7, 2008
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
7.4

1. Aug 2, 2011
    The first 3 seasons were good, if not great. This season kind of disappoints me. You start with vampires, awesome, then werewolves....OK fine. Now fairies? Come on are you serious? Oh that's not all, witches now? Give me a break. If they keep this up I def won't be watching next season. I'll finish this b/c I've already started it but I'm really getting disappointed.
  2. Sep 29, 2011
    Nope, this season does not improve on last . . . much, anyway. Plusses include more Pam, less, Tara, more Pam, less Bill 'n' Sookie, and more Pam. Minuses include less Eric (even--or especially--when Eric is present), as well as more and more and more supernatural species, to the point, where, if you live in Bon Temps and don't have a magical power or two, you might as well stay at homeNope, this season does not improve on last . . . much, anyway. Plusses include more Pam, less, Tara, more Pam, less Bill 'n' Sookie, and more Pam. Minuses include less Eric (even--or especially--when Eric is present), as well as more and more and more supernatural species, to the point, where, if you live in Bon Temps and don't have a magical power or two, you might as well stay at home with your shoelaces tied together and chewing gum in your ears, because nothing you can come up with--genius, germs, or guns--will get you anywhere. "True Blood" has gone the way of many soap operas--and, make no mistake about it, the show is pure soap--in proliferating storylines to the point where characters lose all integrity, becoming mere plot vehicles. A sure-fire giveaway is a major character's contracting amnesia and undergoing a complete personality change to allow an improbable development. Yeah, I know: the book did it first--so what? Why am I still watching? (1) Kristin Bauer (though Pam's final meltdown made me cringe); (2) Nelsan Ellis, whose Lafayette don't need no stinkin' power, even though he now has one; (3) Sam Trammell, who understands how to be both fierce and sweet; (4) Deborah Ann Woll, now gloriously predatory; (5) Todd Lowe, heartbreaking icon of damaged goodness; and (6) Kevin Alejandro, finally giving beautiful Lafayette a taste of what charmless Sookie has been gulping for four seasons. Why will I watch next season? Because it looks very much as though Michael Raymond-James's Rene will be back in some form. If so, I have a hit list for him . . .. Expand
  3. Jun 13, 2012
    True Blood this season was too overpopulated. There were too many people I needed to care about and too many background characters where getting too much screen time. I hoped they would slow down a bit as the season went on. I used to believe True blood was a believable portrayal of a supernatural world, but this season has questioned that belief.

1. Reviewed by: Curt Wagner
    Aug 1, 2011
    True Blood works best when its freak flag flies--as long as its core characters are along for the ride.
  2. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    Jun 29, 2011
    Blood creator Alan Ball knows how to juggle multiple pretty people and knotty, danger-stuffed story lines for the maximum amount of breathless romance and over-the-top action.
  3. Reviewed by: Dan Fienberg
    Jun 27, 2011
    True Blood returns on Sunday (June 26) night with too many new characters, not enough time with the characters I like, a general evasion of the most prickly parts of last season's finale, some plodding hints at a lumbering dramatic direction for this season and some breasts.