True Blood : Season 5

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 7, 2008
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
6.9

1. Aug 18, 2012
    I had such high hopes for this series. The books were good, although a little "light" on storyline.
    The first season of Trueblood was pretty good. I could even handle when they made Tara black and working in the bar, Lafayette didn't get killed, and other deviations from the story line---to some extent.
    Then things got a little over the top with the sick goriness of the Maynaad. Then a little more with last seasons witch, really what the heck was that. Now this season----this is disgusting. The writers seem to have no imagination with this Lilith and only want to shock with blood and disgusting behavior.
    This series is sinking FAST.

If you want to save it, return somewhat to the story line. We want the STORY !!!!!
    Throw a little romance back in. Possibly bring in the were tiger. Bring back some of Sookie's family relational issues. Focus on the things that made the books so popular.

This is disgusting. I can't believe the author ""sold out" like this.
  2. Jun 13, 2012
    An utterly unwatchable episode, filled with cheesy dialogue, recycled plot twists, and tired characters that no amount of gratuitous nudity on the part of the comely cast can overcome.
  3. Jun 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Probably a better season opener than S4, but still too many characters and background characters have too much screen time. The show continues to be plagued by plot and characterization inconsistencies. Dialogue, in particular, was cringe worthy. I expect more from HBO. Expand
  4. Jun 23, 2012
    This Show is based off a really good series of books. Season one was fantastic in sticking to the storyline. Now 4 seasons later in season 5 i use the therm "based" loosely. The Series has strayed from the original storyline and flew off in it's own direction. I'm NOT happy about it and don't wish to continue watching something that has gone so far from the original story. If you have seenThis Show is based off a really good series of books. Season one was fantastic in sticking to the storyline. Now 4 seasons later in season 5 i use the therm "based" loosely. The Series has strayed from the original storyline and flew off in it's own direction. I'm NOT happy about it and don't wish to continue watching something that has gone so far from the original story. If you have seen the show but not read the books, don't read past book one. Expand
  5. Jul 30, 2012
    As the Vampire fad grows bigger, of course HBO would capitalize on it and make some money. But like all Vampire shows these days that are always centered around sex, albeit a lot more graphic. True Blood is yet just another generic show obviously brought on by the likes of Twilight. It seems the glory days of Vampire scenario storytelling is over, as mislead teenagers watch more and moreAs the Vampire fad grows bigger, of course HBO would capitalize on it and make some money. But like all Vampire shows these days that are always centered around sex, albeit a lot more graphic. True Blood is yet just another generic show obviously brought on by the likes of Twilight. It seems the glory days of Vampire scenario storytelling is over, as mislead teenagers watch more and more of this garbage and don't know any better. Expand
  6. Sep 4, 2012
    Horrible unwatchable garbage. I have been a fan since the first season and it felt like I was watching a totally different show. Poor writing, poor direction. Jumbled story lines. Just flat out bad.
  7. Jul 26, 2012
    Really liked season 1, loved season 2, thought season 3 was okay. Got rid of HBO so I missed season 4. Picking back up in season 5 with the aid of my girlfriend's recap, it seems that I wasn't missing anything. Way too many storylines going on with virtually none of them being compelling. Previous seasons stuck to a handful of plot points and fleshed them out nicely (done especiallyReally liked season 1, loved season 2, thought season 3 was okay. Got rid of HBO so I missed season 4. Picking back up in season 5 with the aid of my girlfriend's recap, it seems that I wasn't missing anything. Way too many storylines going on with virtually none of them being compelling. Previous seasons stuck to a handful of plot points and fleshed them out nicely (done especially well with the Maryann arc). Now there are just plain too many supernatural orders and none of the mystery and nuance that made the first two seasons great. Expand
  8. Sep 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The writers created too much chaos and too little for the audience to latch onto and care about. I don Expand
  9. Aug 28, 2012
    After watching this whole season disappointedly, I kind of regret spending my time on it. I enjoy the books and this storyline is getting way away from the books. There are too many irrelevant characters creating too many different stories that don't make much sense at all. Religion and politics? No thanks, lets enjoy the guilty pleasure for what it is - a vampire romance. Haha.
  10. Jun 25, 2012
    i watched most of seasons 1-3, then gave up because the show became unwatchable. i recently tuned in for the first 30 minutes of season 5 episode 1 and its just brutal. the writing is non-existent. the cast is HUGE and keeping them interesting through side-plots that eventually converge is impossible, especially for these talentless writers. nothing but naked dudes and the occasionali watched most of seasons 1-3, then gave up because the show became unwatchable. i recently tuned in for the first 30 minutes of season 5 episode 1 and its just brutal. the writing is non-existent. the cast is HUGE and keeping them interesting through side-plots that eventually converge is impossible, especially for these talentless writers. nothing but naked dudes and the occasional naked babe clearly geared toward the female demographic. ultra-left HBO tries to stay racy and "edgy" by ridiculing the christian right, and making almost every character gay or bi, or sticking dubya's severed head on a stake. again, no story, no plot, just a crappy soap opera. HBO is really heading downhill w/ shows like this.

look to breaking bad, justified, or person of interest for clever writing and quality acting.
  11. Jul 27, 2012
    Season 5 still has a decent main story line, but everything else is unenjoyable. I find myself playing with my iPAD during every scene not involving Bill, Eric, and Russell. The acting seems to have gotten worse this season and they have tried to make up for it with unnecessary nudity. This show won't last much longer if something doesn't change.
  12. Aug 19, 2012
    Too much wacky religion stuff this year. We want more character interaction like previous seasons. Looks like a stretch for air time this year. Too much Lilith.
  13. Aug 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am so tired of all those story lines that is never connected in anyway and that dam lock-down is driving my nuts. I love the books and the fact that the characters stays in the same storyline and that it actually follows true to a great ending but this series it has become one of the most annoying one I have ever seen. HBO easily create beautiful thing but this is just pitiful Expand
  14. Aug 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am also a fan of an original book. Although it knew that it is the talk that TV series differs from an original book, the talk flies here and there too much, and this episode cannot be understood. I would like to see two persons' talk, Sukie and Eric, more. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    Jun 14, 2012
    What starts out lean and mean can grow flabby and sentimental, and flaws can turn into handsome plot twists. Which is one reason to just bite down hard and go with the show.
  2. Reviewed by: Phillip Maciak
    Jun 11, 2012
    True Blood has never been a show with a conscience, so it's awkward watching it try to get one in a hurry.
  3. Reviewed by: Dan Fienberg
    Jun 11, 2012
    The first four episodes of Season 5 find True Blood at its most directionless and meandering.