True Blood : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
8.1

1. RonP.
    Oct 7, 2008
    Brilliant, lurid southern Gothic soap opera. in its own way, it's as groundbreaking and masterful as ball's "six feet under." the first show to have me completely hooked from the first episode since "sopranos."
  2. JennetP.
    Nov 5, 2008
    I was trying to ramp up my enthusiasm for this show when I came across another reviewer's mention of "John from Cincinnati," which scuttled the effort by reminding me of what REAL innovation looks like. In the wake of "Buffy," "Kindred," "Angel," "Blade," "Blood Ties," and "Moonlight," not to mention forebears such as "Dark Shadows," today's tv vampires must hack through a I was trying to ramp up my enthusiasm for this show when I came across another reviewer's mention of "John from Cincinnati," which scuttled the effort by reminding me of what REAL innovation looks like. In the wake of "Buffy," "Kindred," "Angel," "Blade," "Blood Ties," and "Moonlight," not to mention forebears such as "Dark Shadows," today's tv vampires must hack through a forest of cliches. I'll admit I don't love TB's "out of the coffin" premise, first because culture war jokes stopped being funny in the early 90's, and second because the need to kill or injure--and the conflicts that arise from it--is one of the most resonant features of vampirism. And because what I don't love is the central premise, I suppose there's a pretty low ceiling on my potential enthusiasm for the show. Unless Eric and his ilk become more prominent, that is--and, I must admit, my interest skyrockets whenever he shows up. Don't get me wrong: I like Bill and Sookie (though I disagree that they have chemistry, as a good part of their 150-year age difference is evident on-screen, giving their love scenes an unpleasant whiff of pedophilia, for me). And, cartoonish as it is, I like the southern gothic atmosphere, with its unusual integration of the uncanny into daily life. What gives me most hope for the show, however, is moments such as Bill's emergence from the graveyard soil, which tweaks a horror film cliche into a profoundly novel love scene, at once arousing and sad, warm and terrifying. More of such boldness (and more Eric), and the show will realize its considerable potential, for me. Expand
  3. MikeG.
    Oct 4, 2008
    Amazing show! I love that the char. are more fleshed out and feel real compared to the crap on nbc, etc. The sex scenes add to the dynamics of the char. backstory and are well done. I haven't wanted to pick up a novel in a while, but if the book series is this good, I've been missing out. this show is like heroes, law and order, and friends all in one.
  4. LeahB.
    Oct 6, 2008
    I absolutely love this show.. Right when the show ends, I can't wait for next Sunday to watch what will happen next!!!
  5. CharlotteL.
    Oct 9, 2008
    I've read the books and though the show is a bit different its not too bad. The reason that will make me stop watching is if they force sam to be the serial killer.
  6. LouiseS.
    Oct 7, 2009
    Absolutely brilliant, I am hooked on this show. True Blood has a bit of everything for everybody. Very original, great choice of casting, believable storyline too , ( which I know sounds strange). All I can say is watch the show.
  7. Magicmann
    Jun 22, 2009
    The best show on Hbo. Filled with suspense, great story line, action...this show has drama.
  8. Jul 3, 2011
    True Blood is another series jumping on the vampire bandwagon and I have to say, the Vamps have never seemed cooler, sexier and crazy! Additionally, what TB offers that other series lack is a solid characterization of the human characters as well. Sookie Stackhouse differs from Bella Swan in that she is not nearly as self-deprecating and it's refreshing. But I have to say, Eric NorthmanTrue Blood is another series jumping on the vampire bandwagon and I have to say, the Vamps have never seemed cooler, sexier and crazy! Additionally, what TB offers that other series lack is a solid characterization of the human characters as well. Sookie Stackhouse differs from Bella Swan in that she is not nearly as self-deprecating and it's refreshing. But I have to say, Eric Northman steals the show. The hot blonde vamp is surely the object of many hot dreams. Kudos TB Expand
  9. Nov 9, 2012
    The first few episodes are a rocky start, but stick with Alan Ball's True Blood. By episode seven, so many questions will be bubbling in your brain, you'll hardly be able to wait to watch the next one.
  10. Dec 20, 2013
    It's addicting and entertaining. The writing isn't the best, and the acting isn't that solid, but the first season of True Blood is definitely worth your time.
  11. ML.
    Aug 20, 2009
    The best vampire show I've ever seen. Wow, this show is totally addicting. Nice mix of drama and social/religious/political satire. Very funny at times, but also sad and moving sometimes. A little different from the books which are also great. The characters are a pretty believable, and many of them remind of me of people I know. It's not perfect, the accents are a little fake, The best vampire show I've ever seen. Wow, this show is totally addicting. Nice mix of drama and social/religious/political satire. Very funny at times, but also sad and moving sometimes. A little different from the books which are also great. The characters are a pretty believable, and many of them remind of me of people I know. It's not perfect, the accents are a little fake, and it's a mystery why Eric's hair doesn't grow back when he cut it(my girlfriend loves him but wishes they had left his hair long). They overdue the sex scenes sometimes too. Still, overall one of my favorite shows of all time. There's not many good Vampire movies or shows, so it's a refreshing change. Expand
  12. May 8, 2014
    This SHOW is the best compared to Vampire Diaries(little kids show and of course virgin stupid girls) and the mos stupid show Twilight).This show posses the best character I could ever dreamed of : Eric,Godric,Bill, and Alcide...the best SHOW EVER
  13. Jenny
    Sep 30, 2008
    The first few episodes were a little difficult for me to watch...I've read the Sookie Stackhouse Series and I think they're great. True Blood started off a little on the cheesy side but the last episode (4th?) was a vast improvement. It was much more funny and you finally start to see what kind of person Sookie really is and the plot begins to thicken.
  14. SamanthaH
    Feb 1, 2010
    Absolutely love it.......... Anna Paquin is great.
  15. DavidA
    Nov 2, 2008
    took a few episodes to find it's footing, but has become one of the most engaging shows on TV. it could stand to broaden it's view and show the effect of vampires coming out of their coffin outside of a small town in LA. but otherwise, great social commentary soap opera with sex, violence, and laughs.
  16. AndyP.
    Oct 13, 2008
    This show is incredible. It's one of the few where I actually cannot wait until the next episode. It's one of the quickest hours of the week. If you haven't watched it yet, you need to.
  17. TrishaP.
    Oct 15, 2008
    This show is amazing! I watched the first episode and i was hooked... some of the actors could do a better job some times it just seems so fake the way the do or say things just makes it seem that way but other times i am so compelled by what is happening!! I love that show!!
  18. AdrienneS.
    Oct 16, 2008
    There was nothing like the Sopranos, until True Blood came along. Now it's on the top of my all time list of greatt shows. It's my obsession!!!!
  19. TinaM
    Dec 10, 2008
    Flawed, but extremely entertaining. If you are not a fan of tongue-in-cheek exaggeration (a la Grindhouse, Black Dynamite, etc), you probably won't like this. The show tries to be a lot of things (comedy, pulp, ensemble drama, and fantasy) and sometimes comes off as uneven, but the overall quirkiness/weirdness of the show allows for it. I think the acting is quite good (accents... Flawed, but extremely entertaining. If you are not a fan of tongue-in-cheek exaggeration (a la Grindhouse, Black Dynamite, etc), you probably won't like this. The show tries to be a lot of things (comedy, pulp, ensemble drama, and fantasy) and sometimes comes off as uneven, but the overall quirkiness/weirdness of the show allows for it. I think the acting is quite good (accents... meh... I think it's funny that the best/most convincing Southern accents come from the two foreigners of the cast! Shame on Americans and Canadians!)... The Sookie-Gran's-pie scene made me tear up a bit (I NEVER cry during films or TV... exception: Ikiru). Basically the show goes between hilarious scenes (stereotyped some, yes... but they're usually not negative... they're badass stereotypes), really poignant, well acted dramatic scenes, some cheesy love scenes (white dress scene? lol) and some really sincere romantic scenes. Bit bumpy but worth it. And to quote a guy friend of mine: "You get to see Anna Paquin's cans!!" Expand
  20. DeniseF.
    Oct 2, 2008
    I am hooked. Can't wait until Sunday nights.
  21. MS
    Oct 25, 2008
    Finally took time to watch the show. Could tone down on the sex and bad language.Love Sookie's and Bill's relationship. The chemistry is great. I love the other characters as well and how they all relate to each other. I am hooked. Looking forward to the new episode and reading the books.
  22. AndreaS.
    Oct 26, 2008
    This show is awesome. HBO really hyped it up in August and I all but died looking forward to the series. VAMPIRES RULE!
  23. SharkyT.
    Oct 30, 2008
    This show is a huge hit and these same critics will be raving when they review it for its second season. It IS a show you will either love or hate as it has a mix of camp, horror, drama and a soap opera quality that combines for a tone that is utterly unique. Six Feet Under was a show that was undeniably good and I wouldn't understand somebody not liking it. True Blood is undeniably This show is a huge hit and these same critics will be raving when they review it for its second season. It IS a show you will either love or hate as it has a mix of camp, horror, drama and a soap opera quality that combines for a tone that is utterly unique. Six Feet Under was a show that was undeniably good and I wouldn't understand somebody not liking it. True Blood is undeniably good but I completely understand not liking it. Collapse
  24. LauraL.
    Oct 5, 2008
    I find this series to be quite compelling: a great ensemble cast, good production, colorful characters (whom I hope will become more complex as the series continues), interesting inter-textuality with vampire legends and literature, a bit of an edge created by social commentary on small town culture, stereotyping, and racism. I tuned in on a whim, expecting trash. The graphic sex was I find this series to be quite compelling: a great ensemble cast, good production, colorful characters (whom I hope will become more complex as the series continues), interesting inter-textuality with vampire legends and literature, a bit of an edge created by social commentary on small town culture, stereotyping, and racism. I tuned in on a whim, expecting trash. The graphic sex was overdone and a turn off, though inecessary to some extent to establish the character of Sookie's brother Jason; too much time was spent dwelling on his sexual escapades that could have been better spent in almost any other way. This is on balance great fun and I'm going to be not only tuning in but also reading Harris' novels. The script is sticking closely to the first book in the Sookie Stackhouse series-- Tara's a new character and well used to reflect Sookie, making up for the first person narrative of the book that isn't used in the series. I'm interested to see how the script departs from Harris' book in other ways. Thanks to Harris, cast, crew, and director for entertainment worth watching. Expand
  25. VanessaM.
    Oct 6, 2008
    The leads are great and I love the way the show has expanded on the book.
  26. EK
    Oct 8, 2008
    Just keeps getting better. Episode 5 just aired and was great. Hilarious.
  27. HeatherC.
    Sep 10, 2008
    The pilot was great! My only complaint is that Sookie has been dumbed down some from the books, but that may change as her character develops in the TV series.
  28. RolandB.
    Sep 10, 2008
    Paquin is awesome...intriguing start.
  29. KathyB.
    Sep 12, 2008
    I loved it!
  30. sherryk.
    Sep 15, 2008
    Sensual, sexy, steamy - each episode has kept me mesmerized. Can't wait for episode 3.
  31. tthomas
    Sep 15, 2008
    The best Vampire show ever created and one of the most interesting shows on HBO. I also have to mention the great acting, beautiful visuals and wonderful dialogue. This is a must see. Don't believe the critics. Don't let this be the next Firefly.
    Sep 15, 2008
    I've not read the Sookie Stackhouse books, but the first two shows have me riveted. The characters may start as caricatures of themselves, but the viewer quickly learns that there is more than meets the eye, and I expect that the series will take some very exciting twists and turns.
  33. BrittneyS.
    Sep 17, 2008
    It has everything you need in a show. I bet it gets better and better!
  34. JessicaD.
    Sep 17, 2008
    I love this show. I like that fact that is not you typical vampire show. Its, its almost like real life. Nothing stupid like turning in to a bat and wearing a cap. Its great
  35. MicheleB.
    Sep 17, 2008
    I like the general principle behind the series. I like the Sookie and Bill characters. I do not like Jason or Tara, Jason is a horndog in the books, but not that stupid. Tara is just plain over the top mean.
  36. DebraR.
    Sep 19, 2008
    I am a huge fan of Charlene Harris' series of books and this show was awesome. I can't wait to see what else you come up with over the course of the next 11 episodes.
  37. zaragh
    Sep 21, 2008
    Love it. i watched each episode 5 times and i can't wait to see more.it;s so far one of the best shows I've ever seen.
  38. HeatherW.
    Sep 22, 2008
    I think some people are going into this show with there eyes closed. They are so use to the glamuor the Blade and Underworld have put on the vampire world... At least TrueBlood puts the dirty and not so pleasant views of what vampirisum. It should not always be so intriguing.. the bad side of it needs to shown and Trueblood does that...
  39. ChristinaM.
    Sep 24, 2008
    I watched this show out of curiosity and fell in love. I watched the first 3 episodes back to back and I can't wait for the 4th. The show has that side of fantasy mixed with reality that I think really draws people in. Not all the characters are amazing, but the season just started so I'll give them time to develope more. The main characters, Sookie and Bill, are wonderful. The I watched this show out of curiosity and fell in love. I watched the first 3 episodes back to back and I can't wait for the 4th. The show has that side of fantasy mixed with reality that I think really draws people in. Not all the characters are amazing, but the season just started so I'll give them time to develope more. The main characters, Sookie and Bill, are wonderful. The strange attraction between the 2 really makes you want to watch more. I can't wait for the rest of this season and seasons after! Expand
  40. DonnaB.
    Sep 25, 2008
    LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!!! Keep going, can't wait too watch every week! THANKS HBO!!! Was waiting for a good horror show like this!!!
  41. MArciaA.
    Sep 29, 2008
    Great show. The tension between Anna and Stephen is just wonderful and that is what makes us watch. Great choice of actors. Keep up.
  42. ANance
    Sep 7, 2008
    Good first show, not great but definitely good. I love the story line that this potential laden show has laid out.. Definitely looking forward to next weeks episode.
  43. JoeT.
    Sep 9, 2008
    It's too bad the show hides behind all the vampire mumbo jumbo (or made it more implied). The pilot at least would have been served if it tackled issues of prejudice and depicted its Southern setting straight on. Maybe future episodes will justify the paranormal premise of the show.
  44. StevenS.
    Sep 9, 2008
    It was better than I expected.
  45. EmmaW.
    Oct 7, 2009
    Great series, very sexy.
  46. MRoberts
    Mar 12, 2009
    Love this show, I cant wait till the 2nd season comes out !
  47. CaitiM.
    Jul 17, 2009
    It has such a talented cast, and is brilliantly written.
  48. JudithI.
    Jul 20, 2009
    Though I think the second season is focusing too much on the sex. The books are fabulous and I only hope True Blood continues in the same vein even though I can see they have really changed the storyline. I can always reread the books.
  49. TomT.
    Jul 28, 2009
    9.8 actually. It amuses me how some can give it a zero, makes me question the validity of their opinion. Those that get the subtlety and genius will be hard pressed to find a better show.
  50. bradf.
    Aug 24, 2009
    Most cridics dont know good viewing when they see it i love true blood.
  51. GregM
    Aug 7, 2009
    Great Show.For anyone that doesn't care for it give it a chance it will grow on you.
  52. NickM
    Sep 1, 2009
    Greatest show on Television since The Sopranos. Glad we had Entourage and Lost to get us through our time without Tony. Now we get to spend it with the badass viking of area 5.
  53. DanielT
    Feb 2, 2010
    One of the best TV series of all time. The director took everything from the books and made it better. Season Two utilizes that greatness and give us a season to remember.
  54. Carmen
    Oct 10, 2008
    Okay people. Lighten up! I can't tell you how many reviews I've read that complain about the sex...and the nudity...and how crude the language is... Have any of you ever read Laurell K Hamilton's books? This stuff is cotton candy compared to that. The point of this genre is to make us see the deepest darkest most terrifying aspects of both humanity and the supernatural and Okay people. Lighten up! I can't tell you how many reviews I've read that complain about the sex...and the nudity...and how crude the language is... Have any of you ever read Laurell K Hamilton's books? This stuff is cotton candy compared to that. The point of this genre is to make us see the deepest darkest most terrifying aspects of both humanity and the supernatural and Sookie's character is supposed to be the foil for all of that evil. If you're looking for cute bunnies and butterflies, perhaps you should sign up for a knitting class. Expand
  55. PaulS.
    Oct 12, 2008
    Like some people said below, I am HOOKED! It provides a nice transition from mystical fantasy world of vampires to a contemporary political world of today. The characters are all likable. I hate how at the end of every episode it ends on a peak. It literally leaves me thirsty for more true blood.
  56. CG
    Nov 24, 2008
    This is the most entertaining series I have seen in a while. Nothing better to watch right now. I find it insane they're gonna wait until summer 09 to start it up again.
  57. MariejoseeRoy
    Oct 13, 2008
    Its just a great show that keeps me entertained. It is intense at times, hilarious on occasions, and down right hot, in every sense of the word. It is better than most of the shows out there, at least it's original!!!!!!
  58. DanielaT.
    Oct 13, 2008
    I love it I'm addicted to it i cant wait until every Sunday to watch a new episode i think i mite have watch each episode over 10 times and everytime i watch it i get even better..i hope that theres a 2 season because i just cant get enough of true blood.
  59. NancyH.
    Nov 4, 2008
    This is one of the best shows on television right now. Alan Ball is amazing, but Charliane Harris' imagination to create this world is unreal. Kudos to the all of the actors on this show, they all do a great job with restrained emotion to help not make this series meleodramatic, but intriguing, and exciting.
  60. JenniferR.
    Nov 5, 2008
    Love the books and love the show, my only critique is with Jason and his storyline. Good actor, terrible storyline.
  61. JoA.
    Oct 18, 2008
    See this one through. I look forward to Sunday evenings. Excellent ! Listen to the viewers not the critics.
  62. MikeM.
    Oct 21, 2008
    Definitely has grown on me a lot from the 1st episode. It made me LOL several times tonight, mostly with Jason's antics. Nicely filmed, very gothic.
  63. KarlK
    Dec 16, 2008
    Amazing series, I was hooked from start to finish, full of shocks, surprises, comedy it had everything. Thanks HBO for giving us another superb production to stand alongside the sopranos and rome etc.
  64. CarolL.
    Dec 25, 2008
    Stephen Moyer is the sexiest man in the world. Without him the show would get a 6 from me. I love to love him. Dear God I hope sombody recognizes that he is the whole show and does nottry to write him out EVER EVER. Stephen...call me.
  65. EricW
    Dec 7, 2008
    This show keep you wondering what will happen next. Who in the next episode with have some " Fucked up shit" happen to them. Where else can you watch in 5 monutes and watch 2 people ahving sex, someone die , and a vampires drining blood from a bottle. Come on thats some funny sh*t.
  66. Kim
    Oct 7, 2008
    There's something about True Blodd that bothers me, but at the same time I just can't stop watching. I really want the show to be better because it has SO MUCH potential. Six Feet Under was my favorite show of all time, but this series just doesn't quite stand up. Maybe it's that some of the dialog is cheesy and unbelievable? Maybe the actors just need a little more There's something about True Blodd that bothers me, but at the same time I just can't stop watching. I really want the show to be better because it has SO MUCH potential. Six Feet Under was my favorite show of all time, but this series just doesn't quite stand up. Maybe it's that some of the dialog is cheesy and unbelievable? Maybe the actors just need a little more time to get the chemistry going? While I love all of the main characters, the towns people and vampires are just overdone and too stereotypical. All in all, this series is not losing me as a viewer any time soon. My fascination with vampires will win out. I just hope it can stay on the air long enough for things to fall into place. And I'm sure they will. Expand
  67. KarmaGirl
    Sep 14, 2008
    So far, so good.
  68. LouiseR.
    Sep 15, 2008
    I love this show what can I say it is great. Good job.
  69. MitsuH.
    Sep 17, 2008
    Fantastic acting, interesting idea of integrating vampires into the everyday lives of Americans, great combination of funny and threatening scenes. Anna Paquin is luminous and expressive, and the entire cast is doing a stupendous job. First-rate all around.
  70. EliseS.
    Sep 18, 2008
    I love the series...I have already bought the Tshirt...I am a dreamer and I love Vamp movies...this is a great mix...its great and I love Anna P and Ryan is fresh...another HBO hit to me.
  71. JoshD.
    Sep 21, 2008
    I can't believe there are big name papers that aren't giving this show the full credit it deserves. I thought the show is a sexy, scary and modern view of the century old concept of the vampire. I look forward all week to find out what happens next. I love it!!
  72. AlianaB.
    Sep 21, 2008
    Fabulous show - each character interesting and so well played. Love Moyer in this role. I'm hooked.
  73. LINDAL.
    Sep 22, 2008
    Love it. Really true to the books and great casting!!!!!
  74. JenniferL.
    Sep 22, 2008
    A lot of fun to watch, the stars are magnetic.
  75. WilliamN.
    Sep 22, 2008
    Finally something to watch after Deadwood, Rome, Six Feet Under, etc. Great TV! And a very sensual fantasy world portrayed.
  76. DeborahJ.
    Sep 23, 2008
    I love this show!! True escapism.
  77. R.DamienW.
    Sep 24, 2008
    I Like the taste of this fresh HBO series, and I must have more(fangs pop out)...I feel like I am getting "glamored" because like Sookie I just can't turn away from it, and I feel real guilty because the show is so dang sinful and wicked, but it is just so interesting. Lord, forgive me, but I have set my DVR to record.
  78. JarvisM.
    Sep 24, 2008
    REALLY A 10!! - I'm just leaving room for the series to surprise me!! - This is easily the BEST show on TV right now!! - The Vampires are mixed so realistically into the human world it'll almost make you start wondering about your real-life neighbors!!
  79. LisaN.
    Sep 25, 2008
    I love this show. Bill is great I hope her really isn't leaving after 5 shows I can't wait until Sunday!!
  80. JasonP
    Sep 26, 2008
    Great show, always left satisfied and wanting the next episode. Absolutely love the Southern Gothic vibe. I think the characters are fascination. I love the sex aspect of the show (we Americans are just so prude, I love that people with varying sexual appetites are being shown). And quite possibly the best title sequence/theme song for any show I have ever seen.
  81. LisaL.
    Sep 26, 2008
    I'm a true southerner...born and raised and I can't help but think of Elvis every time "Bill" says "Sookie". "Tara's" accent is just way off....I don't know what she's trying for but it's not working! Writing....for the most part, I'm hooked. But when Moyer's Compton said it was "magic" keeping him alive....I just laughed. Couldn't he just of I'm a true southerner...born and raised and I can't help but think of Elvis every time "Bill" says "Sookie". "Tara's" accent is just way off....I don't know what she's trying for but it's not working! Writing....for the most part, I'm hooked. But when Moyer's Compton said it was "magic" keeping him alive....I just laughed. Couldn't he just of said something like "an unknown power"? I mean, how lame is "magic"? Not sure I would have cast Paquin...she's just not as attractive as I think she needs to be. I believe the attraction from Sookies standpoint, but what really does Bill see in Sookie? Sure, she's not affected by his "glamorizing" and she did save his life, but what else? Maybe she reminds him of his long lost wife? Can't wait to see what's up with that Dog! Expand
  82. CherylN.
    Sep 28, 2008
    The acting ability and chemistry between Sookie and the Vampire Bill rate a 20 on a scale of 10. Absolutely great.
  83. JanaH.
    Sep 28, 2008
    I really like the show, it not only has vampires but a who dunnit right along with it. its really keeping my interest.
  84. LisaH.
    Sep 28, 2008
    Do not cancel this show. Finally a show with sexual chemistry, dark humor, unbelievable, sad, horrific: just like real life!
  85. FaithP.
    Sep 28, 2008
    Sexy and Funny. What more could you want?
  86. AlexisB.
    Sep 28, 2008
    Addicting show...the delicious blend of horror, sex, fantasy and humor keep me waiting for every Sunday so far. Some characters are better developed and more intriguing than others - Jason, Sookie (like Anna Paquin for this role, actually), Bill, Sam.
  87. CherylP.
    Sep 29, 2008
    loved the books, delighted at the way the show cleaves closely to them. usually, i'm dismayed at how actors never seem to be what i'd imagined the characters to be, but these are all very, very close. and that lafayette--oh, baby!
  88. SaniaD.
    Sep 30, 2008
    The main characters is a total cliche. Her perpetually happy and bubbly personality is annoying at best. I know that there are more episodes to come, but she continually changes personalities. One moment, she is shouting out feminist ideals, the next she is flirting with a vampire, then she plays stupid, but dresses like a prostitute. All with a smile on her face and not an ounce of The main characters is a total cliche. Her perpetually happy and bubbly personality is annoying at best. I know that there are more episodes to come, but she continually changes personalities. One moment, she is shouting out feminist ideals, the next she is flirting with a vampire, then she plays stupid, but dresses like a prostitute. All with a smile on her face and not an ounce of cynicism. Alan Ball does keep faithful to the majority of the books. But when he starts to create verses imitate, he creates true characters. Tara, Lafiette, Jason,and Sam are beautifully portrayed as flawed human beings dealing with the pain and prejudices of a changing world. Even Bill has some fantastic moments, but most of the time, he just broods. In all honesty, the character Sookie should have been a secondary character. I hope that in the future, they focus more on the movement of the vampire and the human's (tara, jason, laffiette) reactions verses concentrating Anna Paquin's bad acting. Expand
  89. jonathans.
    Sep 7, 2008
    Good, but not nearly up to the standards of both Alan Ball's previous work and HBO's usually shining work. It just doesn't have the feel of an HBO production, nor of Ball. It has room to improve, but it already has the smell of cancellation. Which is unfortunate, because HBO just never gives high-talent shows time to develop (cough John from Cincinattie cough)-- I mean, if Good, but not nearly up to the standards of both Alan Ball's previous work and HBO's usually shining work. It just doesn't have the feel of an HBO production, nor of Ball. It has room to improve, but it already has the smell of cancellation. Which is unfortunate, because HBO just never gives high-talent shows time to develop (cough John from Cincinattie cough)-- I mean, if a show has huge, already assured talent behind it, just give it time to grow. Expand
  90. JasonS.
    Sep 8, 2008
    Quirky, vibrant, and funny. A real breath of fresh air. Most TV shows are just by the numbers, recycled garbage. This show has great potential and I hope it gets the chance to fulfill it.
  91. Kyle
    Sep 8, 2008
    I'm rating this based on the pilot and I must say.. it was quite good. Very different. And I'm sure it has potential to last. My only problem though; Couldn't they have chosen a better actress for Tara? Her accent is a bit obnoxious.
  92. L
    Oct 16, 2009
    I really do not understand people who do not like this program!! I do not watch a lot of TV mainly because I am highly critical and find most TV shows are boring. True Blood has a superb plot (if the critics among you bother to see series 1 and 2 through), a great cast, and a killer cliffhanger at nearly every episode. Alan Ball has done a great job in 'sucking' the viewer in to I really do not understand people who do not like this program!! I do not watch a lot of TV mainly because I am highly critical and find most TV shows are boring. True Blood has a superb plot (if the critics among you bother to see series 1 and 2 through), a great cast, and a killer cliffhanger at nearly every episode. Alan Ball has done a great job in 'sucking' the viewer in to this one. Expand
  93. georgetter
    Jan 4, 2009
    This is one show that I look forward watching and not too many shows do that I can not wait until it comes on it keeps you guessing what will happen who is going to do what next Number one show in my book
  94. derekw
    Jun 17, 2009
    I love this show to death. every episode i am at the end of my seat on what will happen next. first i think the acting is great. all the characters have there own thing going in the series. second so what if it is over the top with f bombs and death. that is what makes it even better. this is going to be one of the biggest cult series ever and i hope more people will come to appreciate I love this show to death. every episode i am at the end of my seat on what will happen next. first i think the acting is great. all the characters have there own thing going in the series. second so what if it is over the top with f bombs and death. that is what makes it even better. this is going to be one of the biggest cult series ever and i hope more people will come to appreciate its original story telling. Expand
  95. CocoBunny
    Jun 23, 2009
    Oh, "southerners" on TV. How thy fake accents disappoint me. And let's not forget the not-so-subtle political message of the show, which at times can beat you over the head a bit. But aside from that, it's a fantastic show. The bad accents aren't as bad as they are on several other shows--as the show progresses, they seem to be nailing the rhythm and pace a bit better. Oh, "southerners" on TV. How thy fake accents disappoint me. And let's not forget the not-so-subtle political message of the show, which at times can beat you over the head a bit. But aside from that, it's a fantastic show. The bad accents aren't as bad as they are on several other shows--as the show progresses, they seem to be nailing the rhythm and pace a bit better. Visually, it's a delight. Gorgeous settings. Well-written characters with plenty of ups and downs to explore. When Ball keeps his political allusions on the subtle side, this show is a riotous satire of small town life, the religious right, and the culture war over homosexuality. It started firing up towards the end--more cliffhangers, more action, more fangs--which has given Season 2 a fantastic place to start. Expand
  96. thammonds
    Jul 18, 2009
    One of the best shows I have seen in awhile!
  97. RyanE.
    Jul 27, 2009
    Best show out right now.
  98. RasmusJ
    Jul 3, 2009
    One of the best shows I´ve ever seen, it benefits immensely from very strong actors/actresses and excellent production values, and seamlessly combines multiple genres into a True Bloodstone (a Gem, that is). Highly entertaining.
  99. TalessenO
    Aug 17, 2009
    I'm definitely watching - but I'm seeing a few flaws.. most recently - how come Jessica's hymen grows back but not Eric's hair? We know he likes the salon, so is he cutting it daily? Also, the murder investigations are a bit lightweight. I miss the potential for investigative quality circa XFiles, Numbers, CSI - and a peek into who and what Maryann really is - that is I'm definitely watching - but I'm seeing a few flaws.. most recently - how come Jessica's hymen grows back but not Eric's hair? We know he likes the salon, so is he cutting it daily? Also, the murder investigations are a bit lightweight. I miss the potential for investigative quality circa XFiles, Numbers, CSI - and a peek into who and what Maryann really is - that is due now. Sam is the most interesting character of all - though Eric is irresistable. I'm glad to see everyone grow and each is such a believable unique character - Tara, Arlene, Terry, Lafayette, Jessica, Hoyt, Jason.... Even Pam ... though love to dislike a few of the others... Have to agree with Tom Shales - it sure is a romp and a wallow--and a bloody good one. Expand
  100. WillyB
    Aug 6, 2009
    It is very nice to see someone try a different take on Vampires. I am a huge fan! The idea of a vampire/human love story is great, reminds me of Underworld. If you are looking for a good vampire series, WATCH THIS! IF you want to watch a guy with a "V", and no story line, please watch/read Twilight. This is not your sissy teen series.

1. I'd say that the author is more vivid, subtle, and funny in her portrayal of Southern life; I'll be surprised if her fans aren't disappointed by this adaptation. The best thing about Ball's shows is their opening credits.
  2. Vampire fantasy, murder mystery, star-crossed love story, political satire, True Blood is all and none of the above. Not quite funny, not quite scary, not quite thought-provoking, the show's attempt to question the roots of prejudice is continually undermined by its own stereotyping.
  3. The core characters, including Sookie's best friend Tara (Rutina Wesley), Sookie's brother Jason (Ryan Kwanten) and bartender Sam (Sam Trammell), who has a thing for Sookie, all have interesting features and are well-played. The rest of the locals don't come off so well, mostly having few brains and a big shortage of couth.