• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 12, 2014
Season #: 1, 2
9.2

1. May 29, 2015
    It is closest to se7en in terms of atmosphere, and it is just like 7 led by two fenomenal actors. I am especially surprised by how good McCounaghey is, because im a fan of Woody since like always. The plot is not as good as it is in 7 but I really enjoyed almost every minute of it.
  2. May 5, 2015
    This is the second best tv show I have ever watched, after Breaking Bad . The acting,writing and story are all great. The story keeps you guessing through out the 8 episodes.
  3. Mar 23, 2015
    One of my favourites, I watched the first episode, was hooked, and could not stop. Each and every week, I found myself coming back, wanting to know what would happen next. I wish more shows were this good
  4. Mar 10, 2015
    HBO always makes the best TV intros I've seen and this is no different.

HBO always makes the best TV intros I've seen and this is no different.

This show in my opinion is the best TV show that I've seen since Breaking Bad. I mean watching True Detective was like watching the movie Seven, Zodiac and Silence of The Lambs all in one. My favorite character in this show and of all time has to be Rust Cohle played Matthew McConaughey. His Character was just like me in real life, like he makes deep Quotes and he sees the world in a different and deep way that nobody could think of, just like me. Woody Harrelson and the other cast in the show did a fantastic job as well. At times the character's in the show didn't feel like TV character's, they act and react like normal people, because some TV shows the character's are normally bland or unrealistic. The writing in this show is some of the best writing I've seen since Breaking Bad and the TV show Sherlock. I tried to find some things that I didn't like in the show and I got to be honest I couldn't find any.
  5. Mar 3, 2015
    This show took a lot of time to grow on me because of its slow pace. But thankfully I paid attention to most of the details of the story very well and it seems worth all the effort!

True Detective feels like an 8 hour movie. Its narrative and storytelling were consistent throughout the entire season and makes this show a more cinematic experience. The direction from Cary Joji

The direction from Cary Joji Fukunaga is amazing and the cinematography is so eye-pleasing to watch with its gritty tense atmosphere. I believed it was shot on film which explains it feels so organic while watching the show.

The writing from Nic Pizzolatto was clever and intriguing. I liked how it doesn’t even have the case of the week plot device to drag out the main case and instead uses the main case as a plot device on how the characters were affected by the case which makes the characters interesting to watch. The character development was done brilliantly and again, it attributes to the clever and intriguing writing. My favorite character development was from Rusty, he is one of the most interesting and well-written characters I have ever seen.

The cast performances were perfect. Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson were the show. They lost themselves to their role and they have a great sophisticated buddy cop chemistry. I don’t see them as actors playing a role. I see them as Rusty Cohle and Martin Hart.

The first season of True Detective is an 8-hour extravaganza cinematic experience thanks to its consistent narrative, storytelling, direction, writing and cinematography. The cast performances from Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson were to watch for!

Season 2 has a lot of big shoes to fill. Better to keep my expectations low.
  6. Feb 4, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Peak McConaughey

Watch Matthew McConaughey channel Pacino and Brando at once. Full of himself and hungry for more, the man is unstoppable. There are three faces to Detective Cohle: the withdrawn intuitive intellect; the fiery, robust avenger; and the warped, resigned drunk. Four, if you count the resurrected detective with nothing to lose. He plays them all with intense, unforgiving vigour. The programmed elements in this series are impressive enough. The story is adequate (as good as any post-modern concoction), the dialogue is often great, the pace is riveting, the cinematography decent when not shooting in low-light video (i.e. the botched 5 minute single-take robbery), the imagery stark and spooky, and the music is T Bone terrific (seriously, Burnett needs to score every show there is from now on), but True Dick wouldn't stand out if it wasn't for McConaughey's highly-charged, tirelessly arresting and magnetic performance. He is the reason this show is heaped with abundant praise from critics and audiences alike. Now I love Woody Harrelson, but he can't hold a candle to a blazing fire. Mathew, like Al and Marlon, is easy on the eyes but no gracious wallflower. His inflated, commanding and overcompensating performance distracts us from any puzzling shortcomings in the plot while effectively depreciating the rest of the cast and his peers. If he wasn't so ripped and self-adorning, he'd have easily won the Emmy. Upon picturing the two leads swapping roles, I could only envision Matty's Detective Hart scorching the screen and stealing the show as the "good" cop, bad husband sidekick. McConaughey is tripping. Enjoy the buzz while it lasts.
  7. Jan 19, 2015
    I just finished watching all 8 episodes back to back and wow I loved this show. Matthew McConaughey is unbelievable in this. I've only ever seen him in Interstellar prior to seeing this.(No point watching those crappy rom coms he was in for a long time.) Woody Harrelson is reliable as always being a good guy but a bit of a jackass throughout but of course helps add tension to theI just finished watching all 8 episodes back to back and wow I loved this show. Matthew McConaughey is unbelievable in this. I've only ever seen him in Interstellar prior to seeing this.(No point watching those crappy rom coms he was in for a long time.) Woody Harrelson is reliable as always being a good guy but a bit of a jackass throughout but of course helps add tension to the relationship between McConaughey and Harrelson towards the end of the series. The supporting cast is top notch as well. The twist with the killer and that we met him early on in the series and only find out in the penultimate episode of his true self left me in shock and awe. The Cinematography is breath taking as well and adds fantastic atmosphere to each scene. The one thing that makes it truly special is that all the episodes were written by Nic Pizzolatto and directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga. It feels like a full on 7 and a half hour movie. I have high hopes for the future and hope that they deliver with Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn and the rest of the cast in the second season. Fingers crossed. One of the best shows I have ever seen and it's gonna be an interesting Season 2. Expand
  8. Jan 11, 2015
    I have given this 2 because some of the shooting is very stylish and artistic. Had it not been for that this would have gotten a 1, as it is probably the SLOWEST series I have ever watched.

I am currently 3/4 of the way through the 4th episode, and I'm still waiting for something exciting to happen. The end of episode 3 had some promise, but we never saw how that panned out. If I survive to the end of the 4th episode I will be surprised, as it really is dull. I cannot understand all the 10 star reviews. If this is your entertainment ideal, then that is your decision. Personally though, I prefer entertainment to be entertaining.
  9. Jan 10, 2015
    That was one of the best **** I've been in years! The mystery, the drama, the story, the dialogs... Oh, the **** awesome dialogs! Thx, Rust, Marty and every other character for making this series one of the best of the decades! These eight episodes seduced a lot more than maaaany other movies, books, series and other things that I wasted my life with. Give it a shot! I guarantee you won'tThat was one of the best **** I've been in years! The mystery, the drama, the story, the dialogs... Oh, the **** awesome dialogs! Thx, Rust, Marty and every other character for making this series one of the best of the decades! These eight episodes seduced a lot more than maaaany other movies, books, series and other things that I wasted my life with. Give it a shot! I guarantee you won't damn regret it! Expand
  10. Jan 5, 2015
    Series Very good! With Rust with your little convenient way to listen with incredible scenarios meche with fantasy, adventure, very well done script. Performances unusual for TV series ...
  11. Dec 30, 2014
    Amazing television show worth all the praise and love it gets. McConaughey and Harrelson are both brilliant. The director masterfully builds suspense with incredible payoffs over and over again. See this show if you haven't already.
  12. Dec 20, 2014
    It's dark and it's delightful. True Detective reinvigorates TV drama with a compelling story, characterization that borders on perfection and suspense that is really quite riveting. It is not a series for the weak minded nor is it for the kind of person who reads fairy tales and adores roses. True Detective is a dark series that confronts themes and events which some may find disturbing.It's dark and it's delightful. True Detective reinvigorates TV drama with a compelling story, characterization that borders on perfection and suspense that is really quite riveting. It is not a series for the weak minded nor is it for the kind of person who reads fairy tales and adores roses. True Detective is a dark series that confronts themes and events which some may find disturbing. The gloomy setting of Louisiana further emphasizes the show's dark nature and is the perfect place for such a series to be set. Rust Cohle is one of the most interesting and unique characters in TV history and if not for Breaking Bad's farewell Emmy year, Matthew McConaughey would surely have picked up best actor in a drama series. The plot progression feels assured and even when at it's slowest, the show doesn't seem to drag. True Detective manages to present two anti-heroes very convincingly. The flaws in our two protagonists lead to a show that also presents people in a realistic light. The story is told effectively by Marty and Rust 17 years after the events take place. This style is satisfying and allows further mystery to surface by making us ponder what is going on in 2012. True Detective is a refreshing crime drama that has a compelling story, immaculate characterization, and suspense that will have your hands clutching anything within reach. Expand
  13. Dec 9, 2014
    If you like your dialogue plagiarized from Thomas Ligotti and others this is the show for you. Also if you like woman being depicted as only whores and prostitutes and serve no purpose beyond gratuitous HBO nudity and being victims you will also like this show.
  14. Dec 5, 2014
    True detective is the best criminal series of all time, it got out all the cliches of csi and law and order in the trash, it has the best screenplay of a criminal series.
  15. Nov 30, 2014
    Quite possibly the best show on TV for the last two decades, and yes that includes Breaking Bad. The work exudes dark mystery and thought-provoking writing and perspectives on life from the very start, and the intricate often beautiful web woven around the story arc is just stunning. But what sets this apart from everything is McConnaughey. Where the hell did this performance come from, atQuite possibly the best show on TV for the last two decades, and yes that includes Breaking Bad. The work exudes dark mystery and thought-provoking writing and perspectives on life from the very start, and the intricate often beautiful web woven around the story arc is just stunning. But what sets this apart from everything is McConnaughey. Where the hell did this performance come from, at time it seems like he's channeling an alien presence, so otherworldly is his delivery and the potency of his annunciation. The drag on his cigarette alone will have actors studying this piece and doubtless replicating monologues in auditions for many years to come. So to watch True Detective is to witness the groundbreaking culmination of two men's worth but otherwise slightly ailing careers brought to life, like a pair of phoenix rising from the ashes of the burning cain fields in which the story opens. The creator Pizolatto should be praised for changing the face of television with nods to Neitze and quantum cosmology, and there are subtle nods to other game changers such as Twin Peaks, although not blatantly obvious, throughout the piece. This is a work which demands repeat viewing, and I still come back for more as often as I can. The new series with its new cast and storyline may or may not build on this greatness, but at this point it hardly seems to matter, given the finite nature of the story, one can only marvel at this and dream of what could come next from this beautiful and dark, clearly very complex mind behind the show. Expand
  16. Nov 20, 2014
    Sehr stimmungsvolle Serie, die verdammt heiß auf mehr macht. All das würd aber vom sehr enttäuschendem und bedeutungslosem Ende sofort wieder im keim erstickt.
  17. Nov 12, 2014
    At first, I wasn't too excited about this show due to the acting choice. But after 1 episode I was hooked. This show is how detective shows SHOULD be. It has great acting, deep and dark themes, and a storyline that hooks you in and keeps you wondering what will happen next

Acting : 10/10
    Script: 9/10
    Themes: 9/10
    Plot: 9/10
    Audio: 8/10
    Length: 9/10
    Cinematography: 8/10
  18. Nov 10, 2014
    Superb acting, excellent writing, great visuals. This is exceptionally good stuff. Matthew M is particularly striking, but the entire cast is outstanding.
  19. Nov 1, 2014
    The refined acting and writing help make this drama overcome the soapy, grotesque feel the show has at times. Don't get me wrong: the show is visually stunning. It just needs the extra push.
  20. Oct 26, 2014
    This is dark but fabulous. McConaughey, especially, and Harrelson are brilliant. The Nihilistic philosophy, the cinematography, the subtlety,the hairs on the back of my neck.. Makes me want to visit Louisiana and stay far away all at the same time.
  21. Oct 15, 2014
    Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson steal the show, for me especially McConaughey, he shines here and shows why he received an Academy Award. And the script, the characters, pacing, the show itself is above amazing. The story keeps you glued to your seats, while you crawing for more, and the fact you'll probably need to watch this show twice to figure out everything, or if you missedMatthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson steal the show, for me especially McConaughey, he shines here and shows why he received an Academy Award. And the script, the characters, pacing, the show itself is above amazing. The story keeps you glued to your seats, while you crawing for more, and the fact you'll probably need to watch this show twice to figure out everything, or if you missed some small details. All in all the best detective show i ever watched, can't wait for season 2 to come out. For anyone who didn't yet see True Detective i'm asking you to give this show a chance and i promise you won't regret it. I would be very suprised if McConaughey or Harrelson don't get an Emmy. Expand
  22. Oct 10, 2014
    It's not even close: this is the best show on television, drama or otherwise. Woody Harrelson's sardonic rebuke of Matthew McConnaughey in the pilot illustrates the profundity of the show. "Stop saying **** like, you smell a psycho's fear... Or, we're living in someone's faded memory of a town."
  23. Sep 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson performance is off the charts! Really amazing together in True Detective. I'm sure they will win severely awards for this show. A must see! Expand
  24. Sep 16, 2014
    This shows tone, atmosphere, writing, directing and everything is incredible. Highly recommend to anyone. The ending is so fulfilling and the characters play off of each other so much.
  25. Sep 12, 2014
    A lot of fun is in the progress of the investigation itself. Yes it does take its time, but most season long detectives shows do. The show relies heavily on mood. It has an overpowering sense of dread and plays more noir than thriller until the final episode. I appreciated the two different acts, Act one is two police officers both being extremely reckless drunkards, who seem toA lot of fun is in the progress of the investigation itself. Yes it does take its time, but most season long detectives shows do. The show relies heavily on mood. It has an overpowering sense of dread and plays more noir than thriller until the final episode. I appreciated the two different acts, Act one is two police officers both being extremely reckless drunkards, who seem to wondering aimlessly through life and letting the case get to them. But the last episodes feature them more as disciplined p.i.s, who do not have to answer to authority and are allowed to run their own investigation. This is the best season long detective show I have seen since the first couple seasons of the killing. Expand
  26. Sep 7, 2014
    I'll start off with the good. This may be visually the most well crafted show I have ever seen. Every single establishing shot you will see is worthy of a print for somebody's wall. Every single shot of dialogue is just plain enough to keep from distracting from the story, but interesting enough so that it is still something to be entertained by when the story doesn't deliver. For those inI'll start off with the good. This may be visually the most well crafted show I have ever seen. Every single establishing shot you will see is worthy of a print for somebody's wall. Every single shot of dialogue is just plain enough to keep from distracting from the story, but interesting enough so that it is still something to be entertained by when the story doesn't deliver. For those in film school, or anybody who just loves watching beautiful shows, this is one beautiful enough to watch with the sound off.

Another plus is that the acting is great. All of the family stories were told very well, but did not seem in place for this show. I won't say that the acting is outstanding, but only because I personally am incapable of being blown away by acting that involves strong men who rarely emote. But given that this was probably exactly what the director asked for, I'd say that the whole cast delivered.

Which brings me to the final great strength that this show has. At this years Emmy awards, Cary Fukunaga received the most deserved award for television directing that I am aware of. Episode 4, "Who goes there," contains the shows first real violence, as well as a fantastically paced build leading up to it. The second half of that episode is as good as the best television I have ever seen, and is nearly the best I can imagine television being. It is almost impossible to give too much praise to this sequence. Fukunaga is certainly one to watch in the future.

The second half of episode four, and the first half of episode five of an eight episode arc are its best. It peaks at its exact midpoint. This is a result of not poor storytelling, but poor story. The mystery that the detectives are trying to solve is both slow-paced and uninteresting. The crime, (I hope this isn't a spoiler because it is known early in the first episode) is that a woman has been raped, tortured, drugged, and murdered in a satanic and ritualistic fashion. This is, due to its position as essentially the worst or one of the worst things that a person can do, a very vanilla and played-out crime for a drama.

This puts the viewers attention on the process of solving the crime, and the people who are doing it. At its core, this is what is wrong with True Detective. The crime solving process involves over a dozen interviews with generally uninteresting people who put the detectives in touch with the next person on the chain. In between these interviews, detectives Hart and Rust, who's names don't seem to symbolize anything about their characters, have very poorly informed discussions about philosophy. Rust in particular rehashes ideas that have been floating around for a while, while occasionally contributing new and neat ways to phrase them. Hart responds by attempting and failing to poke holes in Rust's thoughts, by outright rejecting them, or by telling Rust to shut up.

If you decide to watch True Detective, that is what you sign up for. Brilliant visuals, good acting, outstanding directing, many well-paced sequences, and a very boring crime.
  27. Aug 26, 2014
    Indeed a perfect TV show. The greatest, most sophisticated writing and acting combine to tell the story of a 17 year hunt for a serial killer! It's not just another serial killer show. It focuses on the minds of ordinary people living in a world of crime.
    I cannot possibly underrate this show!
  28. Aug 26, 2014
    The best series of all time, in my opinion, or at least the best season of a series since we know the entire story & cast will be overhauled in the second season. McConaughey continues to get better with every film he does, and Harrelson shows his acting chops in his performance as well. Great well rounded show, the best.
  29. Aug 26, 2014
    True Detective: Season 1 ImageThe first show that even compares to Breaking Bad. It was amazing from start to finish. The story and plot are fantastically written. The story is dark, gritty, and very interesting. Cory does an amazing job directing all eight episodes and that 6 minute tracking scene was utter brilliance. McConaughey and Harrelson perform spectacular performances and they'reTrue Detective: Season 1 ImageThe first show that even compares to Breaking Bad. It was amazing from start to finish. The story and plot are fantastically written. The story is dark, gritty, and very interesting. Cory does an amazing job directing all eight episodes and that 6 minute tracking scene was utter brilliance. McConaughey and Harrelson perform spectacular performances and they're definitely some of the best acting this year. Their chemistry is just amazing and it such the correct choice. The match was perfect from start to finish. The story moves very well. It gets bigger and bigger as the season goes along. the opening credits is one of the best of all time and it has the perfect song to go along with it. The show was very dark, gripping, exciting, grasped with memorable acting performances, and had some of the best writing/directing on TV. It was an amazing show and the first show that has had quality of that to Breaking Bad. It is definitely the best new of 2014 and one of the best period. Expand
  30. Aug 18, 2014
    While McConaughey and Harrelson do the best they can with this awful script, they can't save this show all by themselves. I found this show so boring and pointless that I couldn't finish the series. The characters are are unlikable and not terribly interesting (Harrelson is basically an **** and McConaughey is just ridiculous), and the supporting characters are pretty much cardboardWhile McConaughey and Harrelson do the best they can with this awful script, they can't save this show all by themselves. I found this show so boring and pointless that I couldn't finish the series. The characters are are unlikable and not terribly interesting (Harrelson is basically an **** and McConaughey is just ridiculous), and the supporting characters are pretty much cardboard cutouts of supposedly real people. The women exist merely as props or bouncing **** and ass, and after a few episodes it was really hard to care what was going on. Don't bother with a second season, because I can't imagine anyone could possibly still be awake after watching the first season. Expand
  31. Jul 26, 2014
    Matthew McCougnaughey and Woody Harrelson are equally fantastic. Their relationship, rather than a so-so mystery plot, is what makes this one of the best TV shows in years.
  32. Jul 19, 2014
    Having seen the entire series twice, I am obliged to give it a low score to balance out the obnoxious super-fans.

Good: some of the acting, the shooting/editing, the design, the opening song and credits. The show is stylish and addictive. Bad: when the writing is bad, it's terrible. Like F terrible. Some of the writing is off in a line or a moment, and some of the bad writing

Bad: when the writing is bad, it's terrible. Like F terrible. Some of the writing is off in a line or a moment, and some of the bad writing pervades the show. It reminds me of "The Killing" in this regard, and the showrunner on True Detective was a staff writer on The Killing.
  33. Jul 14, 2014
    Probably a bit belated with this review but as an avid fan of this work I wanted to say my bit. Yes, the script tends towards the prosaic in places; the plotting and continuity leave something to be desired [although with 3 time periods it's not surprising]; the acting while superb all round does showboat in places; the characterisation, especially of women is limited and the ProductionProbably a bit belated with this review but as an avid fan of this work I wanted to say my bit. Yes, the script tends towards the prosaic in places; the plotting and continuity leave something to be desired [although with 3 time periods it's not surprising]; the acting while superb all round does showboat in places; the characterisation, especially of women is limited and the Production Design is organic and atmospheric rather than planned - but despite all this True Detective is, for me a work of art, Shakespearian in places and just the most chilling, disturbing and impactful piece of television in the last 20 years - and that includes Breaking Bad. Career defining performances from Harrelson and McConaughey makes this the most 'must watch' TV around... more please! Expand
  34. Jul 12, 2014
    True Detective is not just a TV show about serial killers. It is a take on the eternal struggle between darkness and light. The first season focussed on the worlds of the two detectives Rust Cohle and Martin Hart. True Detective is about questions every human needs to ask him/herself. Is life worth living with such evil in this world? Is the human race worth fighting for? The show is aTrue Detective is not just a TV show about serial killers. It is a take on the eternal struggle between darkness and light. The first season focussed on the worlds of the two detectives Rust Cohle and Martin Hart. True Detective is about questions every human needs to ask him/herself. Is life worth living with such evil in this world? Is the human race worth fighting for? The show is a philosophical discussion as much as it is a cool crime show. It refuses to be a "sexy show" like a Dexter. It will put off people who ONLY want a cool serial killer chase. Don't get me wrong. There is a cool serial killer chase in there. But it offers so much more.

The writing and dialogue are sublime. Matthew McConaughey puts up a spectacular performance and is one of my favourite detective characters of all time. Dark, brooding and partly insane. The cinematography is outstanding, right from the opening montage (which is beautiful) to the gruesome murder scenes. It is one of my all time favourite TV shows.
  35. Jul 12, 2014
    I love great TV drama with expansive story arcs The Wire, Breaking Bad, Thrones, 6 Feet Under, Sopranos, etc... At the end of the final episode I felt I had watched the perfect TV drama for the times. As a lover of The Wire, Breaking Bad, Thrones, 6 Feet Under, Sopranos I have to say - this is how it is done. My favorite duo of all time is Jones and Duvall in Lonesome Dove. Harrelson andI love great TV drama with expansive story arcs The Wire, Breaking Bad, Thrones, 6 Feet Under, Sopranos, etc... At the end of the final episode I felt I had watched the perfect TV drama for the times. As a lover of The Wire, Breaking Bad, Thrones, 6 Feet Under, Sopranos I have to say - this is how it is done. My favorite duo of all time is Jones and Duvall in Lonesome Dove. Harrelson and McConneghy have attained that gold standard in True Detectives. There is not an aspect of this show that is less then superb. The downside - topping the 1st season will be close to impossible. Expand
  36. Jun 23, 2014
    Compelling viewing - a superb and finely woven tale of crime, retribution and self loathing. Full of despair and sometimes hopelessness, the scenes and settings are stuffed with great, great acting. it is fitting that there is no follow up, such a good story could not (should not) have one. I took a mark off for the bad wigs :-)
  37. Jun 20, 2014
    I had high hopes for this, but in the end it failed.......big time. Too Weird and Unbelievable......and Too Bad. Have no desire to watch a second season.
  38. Jun 11, 2014
    Absolutely dreadful: pretentious, preachy, faux-knowledgeable, trite, dumb.
    Everything that Fargo is not.
    Amazing that two outstanding actors could be talked into delivering some of the most cringeworthy monologues in the recent history of television.
  39. Jun 10, 2014
    True Detective, This has to be the best pairing in a powerful, captivating show I have seen to date.
    Harrelson, just bloody brilliant, and McConneghy, well, he gets into his character with such convincing realism. This show is awesome, if these two didn't come back together as a two cop show, just wouldn't be the same...just saying Matthew....just saying
  40. Jun 9, 2014
    Great acting from the two leads, better than in any other TV show I can think of, including Mad Men, including Homeland, including anything on the BBC. Great cinematography, great style. Intriguing, if somewhat familiar, story. Until episode 8, the finale of season 1. The entire plot completely unravels in the last hour leaving ten thousand hanging threads. So what you have here is a fineGreat acting from the two leads, better than in any other TV show I can think of, including Mad Men, including Homeland, including anything on the BBC. Great cinematography, great style. Intriguing, if somewhat familiar, story. Until episode 8, the finale of season 1. The entire plot completely unravels in the last hour leaving ten thousand hanging threads. So what you have here is a fine season of TV with a badly rushed last hour. I think they needed a good 14 episodes, maybe 20. But for whatever reason they shortchanged us all at the end. Expand
  41. Jun 5, 2014
    The rather banal hunt for a particularly deranged serial killer is not what drives this series, which is basically a character study of the two cops investigating the case and the development of their relationship during 17 years.

"Character study" can be the kiss of death in a cop story, but here we have two interesting personalities. Especially Rust Cohle, the character played by McConaughey. Cohle is a pessimist cop with a nihilist approach to life. He thinks that most of humankind is trash, an idea probably shared by most cops, but he is extremely clever and articulated in expressing his opinions. He speaks in an annoyingly low, flat monotone, uttering long and complex sentences that exasperate his colleague Marty Hart, played by Harrelson.

Sadly enough, Cohle may have a good point. However, his wisdom, fundamental decency and dedication to his work do not bring him any satisfaction. Despite understanding well the flaws of humankind, Cohle is leading a depressing life, like the people he despises.

Hart is a more conventional character, but his "normality" plays well against Cohle weirdness. It is ironic how Cohle and Hart coming from different places at the beginning of their collaboration are shown as living in the exact same way at the end: lonely and alone.

Unfortunately quite a few things do not work in the show. Among which, the need to explain Cohle nihilism with a personal tragedy, as if his misanthropic nature needed to be rationalised. Then, almost all the women in the story are whores, stupid and needy. Several young and extremely hot girls throw themselves at Hart, which is weird since he is not that attractive. Many others are for sale or would be, if not too old for business. Even Hart wife, played by Monaghan in the only female role of minimal substance, seems able to use only her sexuality to prove some sort of point.

Finally, the monotone used by McConaughey, although effective to prove the emotional flat-line of his character, is extremely annoying and almost inaudible. Effective in the first episode, by the time I reached the last I could not stand it anymore.

Eventually, this is a show where men use their brains and end up as heroes and women use their sexuality and end up – as usual – as victims.
  42. Jun 1, 2014
    True detective runs slow and steady without ever seeming to drag. Even minors characters get room to breathe and seem independently alive. The acting by Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson is off the charts.
  43. May 28, 2014
    This show defines the 'Dark and gritty ' sub-genre. This brings tv shows to a whole new level with brilliant and crisp writing. The theme song is really good and matches with the darkness of the tv show thus helping the viewer delve into the atmosphere of the episodes. One of the keys to the greatness of this show was Matthew McConaughey with a stellar performance to say the least. To beThis show defines the 'Dark and gritty ' sub-genre. This brings tv shows to a whole new level with brilliant and crisp writing. The theme song is really good and matches with the darkness of the tv show thus helping the viewer delve into the atmosphere of the episodes. One of the keys to the greatness of this show was Matthew McConaughey with a stellar performance to say the least. To be honest , I think this show will steal the show at the next Golden Globes. Can't wait for the next season. Expand
  44. May 27, 2014
    What more can be said that hasn't already been said, except that whoever lands the lead roles in season 2 will have a very hard act to follow.

Best show since Breaking Bad.
  45. May 25, 2014
    Fantastic. Woody and Matthew are so good in this series. The storyline is very captivating, when one episode finishes you are craving the next one. We can only hope that season 2 will come soon.
  46. May 12, 2014
    I give it a 7. Not sure where all the ecstatic enthusiasm is coming from. This feels a bit rehashed to me....something offered as fresh/new/groundbreaking but, in reality, re-warmed in many ways....e.g. the whole "2 diametrically opposed detective personalities forced to collaborate amidst seemingly preternatural criminal element" bit. You know...perhaps first seen in the movie Se7en.I give it a 7. Not sure where all the ecstatic enthusiasm is coming from. This feels a bit rehashed to me....something offered as fresh/new/groundbreaking but, in reality, re-warmed in many ways....e.g. the whole "2 diametrically opposed detective personalities forced to collaborate amidst seemingly preternatural criminal element" bit. You know...perhaps first seen in the movie Se7en.

I'm not feeling the "literary" filigree that's been lauded. There's an attempt, but it doesnt feel cohesive enough to be genuine. Lacks integrity, or something. Couple of dollops of existential/nihillistic overtones from Rust as counterpoint to Martin's superficial everyman's characterization (a man not without issues...but not nearly as subterranean as Rust's inner conflict, to be sure)....all stir fried with time line attenuation/back-and-forth that feels a bit arbitrary and doesn't seem to freshen the left overs.

It's all well done, to be clear...but doesn't really feel like we're advancing beyond something seen before. Not that that's necessary, I don't guess...but, for me....well, I tend to be a bit picky in this regard.
  47. May 9, 2014
    Right from the superb pilot True Detective makes for a bleak watch and as a result it won’t be to everyone’s tastes, especially since it is certainly a slow paced show for the most part. The writing and acting (Harrelson and McConaughey are fantastic throughout) are of such a high standard however that I was quickly drawn into the two detectives serial killer hunt.
  48. May 6, 2014
    This review is directed towards Emily Nussbaum. These are my counterarguments; I realize she probably will never read this, I just had to respond.

1. Her biggest problem of this show as that it represented two macho cops bending the rules and getting results. She see this as typical. I will love to know her reception of Claire in homeland, and the main character in Zero Dark thirty. Why is it when there are a character that is passionate and aggressive, he is considered macho but then it is a female it is considered heroic, or daring. I love homeland by the way, and Zero Dark Thirty was awesome. I enjoy great female characters, but it is really bothersome to see critics love strong female characters like Claire but view Rush and Marty as mucho. Obviously her review has had great influence because this type of talk is all over. Every male is not a claim, cool Saul from homeland; there are effective people like Rush and Marty, and these people are as interesting are females character like Claire. That Macho criticism is weak, and it needs stop.

2. "Dorm talk," is what Nussbaum refers to Rush philosophically arguments and rants as. Obviously, this macho cop has nothing sustainable to say about how he views the world because he is just a macho hot head. Rush philosophy is representative of how many people feel about the world. Also, people engage in conversation of such in everyday life; it is not all about going to work and coming home for everyone in the world. It is interesting (sorry about so many Homeland references, but it is my favorite show) to see people like Carrie, who are almost robotic in their professional pursuits. Carrie rarely engage in political debate about the American government, and when she does, it is brief because Carrie knows who she is. Rush is still trying to sort through many philosophical problem himself, so to him he is not just "dorm talking," he is addressing issue in his life. Plus, Rush is the only person like that in the show, everybody else is earthly--the good and the bad. Nussbaum does not want to respect or even listen to Rush's philosophy because she does not respect the character, and judges him as a macho hothead.

3. Nussbaum best argument is that the show is missing strong women characters. I would argue that Marty wife, as a character, makes more sense than the Hungarian Queen in Game of Thrones but that is an argument for another day. I accept Nussbaum's claim that there are know strong women characters in True Detective and I will go on to say, there are no strong supporting characters in True Detective at all. This not Game of thrones (which is a great show). True Detective spends more time on the two lead characters than any other show on TV, including Homeland season one. We know the other characters through Marty and Rush, and only through them. This is an intensive character study because we will never see these guys again, and the show is about their relationship, first and foremost. The Villain is not even a strong Character. To pull of a show like this, you need wonderful two wonderful actors, and strong character development, and you have it here. Yes, on a show like Game of Thrones, there are many people to keep track of and many ambitious minds to try to understand, but there are no two characters in Game of Thrones, or any other show this year that are more fun to track than Rush and Marty. This was the highlight of television in 2014 so far. Can't wait to see the end of Hannibal, Nashville, and the Americans.

Lastly, Walter White can kill children, and people can cut heads and hands off but a naked human being is too racy, please stop with that criticism.
  49. May 3, 2014
    Très bonne série télé! Le scénario est profond, juste assez obscur pour nous porter à multiplier les interprétations. Le point fort principal est la qualité du jeu des acteurs, le superbe travail au niveau des personnages.

Pourrez-vous franchement passer le générique au début de chaque épisode? Moi, je n'ai pas pu : c'est une pure merveille de créativité! Ce genre de série devrait

Ce genre de série devrait idéalement devenir une norme à la télé américaine! Bien sûr, nous pouvons toujours rêver, parce que les ricains font beaucoup TROP de télé, ça c'est connu... Mais une fois qu'on tombe sur une série de la qualité de True Detective, on garde espoir! ;-)

Enjoy!
  50. Apr 30, 2014
    A detective show like no other, True Detective is haunting in every regard and because of this the characters are refreshing and tormented, and so is the show's universe; after all, the show's tagline is "touch darkness and darkness touches you back". Thanks to a great script, this show thrives on being unflinchingly realistic with its mature content because they acknowledge to everyA detective show like no other, True Detective is haunting in every regard and because of this the characters are refreshing and tormented, and so is the show's universe; after all, the show's tagline is "touch darkness and darkness touches you back". Thanks to a great script, this show thrives on being unflinchingly realistic with its mature content because they acknowledge to every extent that this is a detective show that shows you the terrifying truth that hides in the darkest, unexplored corners of our world. The show is easily rewatchable though. even with its sometimes disturbing content, as clues will often linger throughout the layered dialogue and visuals alike, clearly understanding that, in reality, not every stone can be truly unturned. Rust Cohle and Marty Hart (Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson) are the two investigating detectives and the show spans 17 years through their lives as they investigate the satanic murder of a woman, aiming to find her killer by any means necessary, both detectives bring something useful to the table and their back-and-forth banter is both charismatic and thought-provoking. This is a true detective show in every regard, tragic and compelling from the mysterious opening to the cathartic ending, this show will stay with you. Expand
  51. Apr 26, 2014
    I started watching this series after the full episodes are released in blue ray .I found those high ratings and after watching the first episode i was like, what the hell ?? I decided to give a try for the second one too, then all of a sudden I watched till 5 in one sit.
    Its that intriguing plot along with some top notch acting from Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson which made it damn interesting , i finished all 8 episodes within next 2 days and Iam really impressed by the cinematography and screenplay .
    the writer Nic Pizzolatto and Director too deserves a thumbs up.
    Its more like an addicting style, if you watch Matthew McConaughey's character deeply, you sure as hell is gonna be like him in real life. Its that never mind don't care attitude along with so many good one-liners which makes me want to watch it again and again .
  52. Apr 18, 2014
    I could do without the heavy-handed psychological pathos and I really wish they would keep the same characters as the series progresses instead of making this an anthology, but I can't deny the sheer goodness of True Detective. Tis swell.
  53. Apr 16, 2014
    acekwong ; men you don´t know nothing about tv shows, sorry about this, but i have the sensation that you only watch things like walking dead, the following, with gun fire all the episode. Probably you should deleted your account (Im from chile, thats is why my english its so bad)

The show is amazing, the different timeline, and flashbacks have a very good sensation, i like the story and the characters, they are amazing too. A shame that there is only 8 episodes, and the characters wont be repeting next season.
  54. Apr 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really loved this show, it completely absorbed me ! Harrelson and McConaughey are incredible.
    I didn't put 10 because I was a bit deceived by the ending.
  55. Apr 13, 2014
    True Detective relies chiefly on the main character, Rustin Cohle's, peculiar and eccentric style and speech and mannerisms to keep audience attention. He doesn't have much of a private life, or even a social one for that matter. He despises small talk and often wanders into prolonged monologues about the merits of humanity and its place in the universe, religion and its pitfalls, hisTrue Detective relies chiefly on the main character, Rustin Cohle's, peculiar and eccentric style and speech and mannerisms to keep audience attention. He doesn't have much of a private life, or even a social one for that matter. He despises small talk and often wanders into prolonged monologues about the merits of humanity and its place in the universe, religion and its pitfalls, his disgust for his own family, and basically everything else that doesn't involve solving the case at hand. His partner, Marty, is the more traditional detective whose type most of the viewers would be familiar with in other shows and movies. He is clearly overshadowed in intelligence and cunning and resourcefulness.

As the case progresses, through luck, chance and hard police work (never by a moment of enlightenment), the stakes are raised to the extreme by the fourth episode, which featured one of the most impressive direction I have seen anywhere, film or TV.

The finale was a bit disappointing. Although the showdown with the man with scars was bloody and thrilling, I was hoping he was just a member of the Tuttle family from a dilapidated branch who was included in the rituals by the richer branch but had on his own killed and left the body of Lange out in the open and jeopardized the rest of the family against their will. Instead, the Tuttles were completely ignored and spared and the duo chase down this crazy fellow. He has clearly killed countless but the Governor and his followers may have killed many more and would continue to kill even more. The Yellow King is not some clever devious villain pulling the strings. In fact we don't know who he is or even if he exists. He might have been introduced as a red herring for all I know, but doesn't seem so. Audrey, Hart's eldest daughter only comes into the picture in the last scenes. We never know if she knew something, was abused by someone related or unrelated to the Tuttles, or anything else for that matter. Her drawings and doll placement depicting gang rape, and her subsequent promiscuity in teenage years, is left unexplained. Maybe they were trying to tell us that girls who become whorish become so of their own accord. That might be true, but then what was the point of showing all that. Were they trying to cram every kind of vice into the show?

I think people mistook the show for being far more intelligent and thought-provoking than it really was. By keeping vague and unfocussed, and not delving into anything of worth, the show progressed with timely monologues from Cohle discussing his latest takes on the meaning of life and the age of the universe. If the ending had been done right, all this would have contributed to the belief that the show had succeeded in exploring philosophy as well as delivering a mind-boggling mystery and narrative. Apart from the action sequence with Childress, which, incidentally, was done well, the rest of the episode wasted time in going places and discussing more quake philosophy. Before this every episode left me pondering for at least an hour and trying to account for everything that had gone down.

I was praying this wouldn't happen. I have watched a lot of trilogies where when the story had been spiced with mysteries when revealed had nothing to stand upon. The mysteries were there for just that, to make us come back for more. By the time we realize that they had been after our money, it's too late and the whole story seems to be a ploy to keep us interested with unexplained fantastic storytelling that would in the end have no consequence.
  56. Apr 12, 2014
    The first episode is slow. The last episode is somewhat anti climatic, but in between we have a series that is often gripping, indulgent, frustrating, wonderfully acted by the two leads and at times as good as the hype. The film is also chock full of great writing and characters with whom you are willing to journey. Perhaps not the masterpiece it has been acclaimed as, but a rewardingThe first episode is slow. The last episode is somewhat anti climatic, but in between we have a series that is often gripping, indulgent, frustrating, wonderfully acted by the two leads and at times as good as the hype. The film is also chock full of great writing and characters with whom you are willing to journey. Perhaps not the masterpiece it has been acclaimed as, but a rewarding series non the less. Expand
  57. Apr 11, 2014
    Yep, great show. Cant wait to see who the main characters will be in the next season. Well done HBO!! Now if you could just bring back Luck and a few others you prematurely cancelled...
  58. Apr 9, 2014
    A brilliant show has to have a decent (season) ending. For me that was unfortunately not the case. So instead of 8 Points I give it just 5. A wonderful meal is just not superbe with an awkward aftertaste. So what´s the aftertaste? A very foreseeable ending. The bad guy appearing behind the detective and attacking him on his own turf and then being shot. And how did Woody Harrelson get soA brilliant show has to have a decent (season) ending. For me that was unfortunately not the case. So instead of 8 Points I give it just 5. A wonderful meal is just not superbe with an awkward aftertaste. So what´s the aftertaste? A very foreseeable ending. The bad guy appearing behind the detective and attacking him on his own turf and then being shot. And how did Woody Harrelson get so fast within that maze to the same spots as McConaughey? What a coincidence. Expand
  59. Apr 7, 2014
    To me, it's more style than substance. It has an awful lot of style though. The eight episodes flow seamlessly as a visual novel. The direction captures an arresting portrait of the unique rural locale. Matthew McConaghey reminds us that he is not merely the guy who's always being photographed on a beach somewhere, he can act. And the masterstroke, perhaps, is the music by T-Bone Burnett,To me, it's more style than substance. It has an awful lot of style though. The eight episodes flow seamlessly as a visual novel. The direction captures an arresting portrait of the unique rural locale. Matthew McConaghey reminds us that he is not merely the guy who's always being photographed on a beach somewhere, he can act. And the masterstroke, perhaps, is the music by T-Bone Burnett, which will surely make a killer soundtrack album.

The plot itself, though, is a somewhat meandering journey of the two detectives through a murder case, and their return to the case years later. The case involves some pulp horror elements (unlike most viewers, I had heard of the King in Yellow before watching the show), but ultimately, the show isn't really about the case, it's more about watching the two detectives' personal lives dragged through the muck. The show started slowly, and honestly it took me to the fifth episode before I really started looking forward to watching (i.e. halfway through). The show's occasional graphic elements can be quite strong, and sensitive viewers will want to steer clear.

In the end, it's an entertaining piece and superb technical filmmaking, and given that it's supposed to be an anthology series, it'll be interesting to see where it goes next. It's not the best thing HBO has put out though, not by a long shot.
  60. Apr 3, 2014
    This is just a great show. If you feel a bit like me (wanting more substance for your time), then you really will like this series. The pros are the writing, acting, and visuals. The cons are excessive nudity and really tough subject matter. Overall, the show is gripping with a fitting and rewarding finale. In case it helps... I also like Hannibal, The Wire, The Americans, and Homeland.
  61. Mar 30, 2014
    Takes a few episodes to get into it but once it grabs you, You will grind watch this show just to find out what happens at the end like I did. It's definitely worth checking out and I'd highly recommend it.
  62. Mar 30, 2014
    TRUE DETECTIVE is a masterpiece. It combines a cop show formula with supernatural elements and it couldn't be any better. You owe it to yourself to watch this show. It's a tour de force. Matthew McConaughey gives his greatest performance yet, better than Dallas Buyer's Club. Woody Harrelson also give an incredible performance as his partner. If I gave anything away about this show, I wouldTRUE DETECTIVE is a masterpiece. It combines a cop show formula with supernatural elements and it couldn't be any better. You owe it to yourself to watch this show. It's a tour de force. Matthew McConaughey gives his greatest performance yet, better than Dallas Buyer's Club. Woody Harrelson also give an incredible performance as his partner. If I gave anything away about this show, I would just ruin it. Just watch this incredible masterwork. Expand
  63. Mar 29, 2014
    Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ass.
  64. Mar 29, 2014
    The amount of positive reviews for this clunker is staggering. What am I missing here? I get it. McConaughey. Harrelson. Those guys can flat out ACT. But when I'm forced to watch them play out the most arduous script I've ever heard, time to move on. Seriously, every episode is constructed around a diatribe containing exhausting amounts of gravitas and psychobabble. This show takes itselfThe amount of positive reviews for this clunker is staggering. What am I missing here? I get it. McConaughey. Harrelson. Those guys can flat out ACT. But when I'm forced to watch them play out the most arduous script I've ever heard, time to move on. Seriously, every episode is constructed around a diatribe containing exhausting amounts of gravitas and psychobabble. This show takes itself way too seriously. The pacing is annoyingly slow to the point of feeling like it's a chore to get through the first few episodes. The plot is wayward and gets sidetracked by even weaker subplots before ever really establishing ITSELF! No direction. I especially love the lack of character development beyond these two. After half of the first season, I knew nothing of the victim or the killer and moreover, didn't care! I also enjoyed how the director helped me out by slapping a wig on the actors to show me that time had elapsed or jumped back. Thanks! This show is ASININE! Expand
  65. Mar 29, 2014
    in my opinion was a fantastic tv-show! wait eagerly for next seaaon , actually.
    hope the new season do the same as last season in story , puzzles , acting i mean new actors and every thing .
  66. Mar 24, 2014
    Quite simply, magnificent. HBO's latest phenomenon, True Detective, is the best new tv show around. It's debut season is sensational from the start to it's excellent end. It's a package that offers everything in it's entirety. It's dark, intelligent, intense, riveting, powerful, smart, suspenseful and unique. A truly tremendous piece of television. The premise immediately captures theQuite simply, magnificent. HBO's latest phenomenon, True Detective, is the best new tv show around. It's debut season is sensational from the start to it's excellent end. It's a package that offers everything in it's entirety. It's dark, intelligent, intense, riveting, powerful, smart, suspenseful and unique. A truly tremendous piece of television. The premise immediately captures the imagination and lures you in, grips you and never lets go throughout. The series follows two Louisiana State Police homicide detectives (Matthew McConaughey & Woody Harrelson) and their hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana across the span of 17 years. McConaughey's recent renaissance hits almighty new heights here. His performance as Rustin 'Rust' Cole is masterful! An actor at the top of his game and it's evident in abundance. Harrelson is also in terrific form as Martin 'Marty' Hart. Infact, the pairs relationship is the heart of the first series and the chemistry the two have on screen in there for all to see. It's two stellar performances. Michelle Monaghan and Kevin Dunn also add to an already awesome series. True Detective is unmissable. It will have you hooked from the start! And whilst at times it can be slow burning, it all pays off and comes together in an unexpected climax. And to round it off, the shows theme tune is instantaneously a hit and you will be replaying it over again. I'll be astonished if you see a better series of television this year, the only shame is that McConaughey and co won't return for the much anticipated second season! Expand
  67. Mar 24, 2014
    Now I normally don't do reviews for anything other than video games or movie, however I just feel that I have to tell you how truly phenomenal this show is! True Detective is by far the best series on tv right now and undoubtedly one of the greatest shows that has ever run! Everything, from the engrossing plot to the deep and interesting characters; everything is absolutely flawless! InNow I normally don't do reviews for anything other than video games or movie, however I just feel that I have to tell you how truly phenomenal this show is! True Detective is by far the best series on tv right now and undoubtedly one of the greatest shows that has ever run! Everything, from the engrossing plot to the deep and interesting characters; everything is absolutely flawless! In fact I want you to stop reading this review right now and go watch the first episode! Trust me when I say that you will be glad you did! Expand
  68. Mar 24, 2014
    Mesmerizing and nihilistic view on human nature and existence, time and space, and the possibility of forces of light and evil, presented in meticulously written and spot-on delivered dia- and monologues. Featuring captivating performances from both leads this pitch-dark crime-and-cop story never cares much about "whodunit", placing the lives of the two mismatched detectives as well asMesmerizing and nihilistic view on human nature and existence, time and space, and the possibility of forces of light and evil, presented in meticulously written and spot-on delivered dia- and monologues. Featuring captivating performances from both leads this pitch-dark crime-and-cop story never cares much about "whodunit", placing the lives of the two mismatched detectives as well as their relationship in the centre of attention instead. Thoughtful and true to the end storyline along with brilliant and suspenseful cinematography by Cary Joji Fukunaga (who finds chilling and mythical views on the swamplands of Louisiana - AND the car rides :) !) create a highly gripping and absorbing piece of television. The very few flaws - like the rather flat and flavourless rest of the characters, as well as a lukewarm proposition at the end, that even the smartest and most charming atheist might be convinced of the existence of some greater force in the universe when looking at star-scattered night sky - do not derogate my overall extremely positive feelings about this excellent series as a whole. Expand
  69. Mar 24, 2014
    This series can best be described as wanting to be "No Country For Old Men" while holding the pacing and suspenfullness of "Silence Of The Lambs". Now that's not to say it'll be as great of a movie/show as "Silence Of The Lambs" was, just that its a wannabe. All in all it has potential, its an HBO show, has a good cast. Only time will tell.
  70. Mar 23, 2014
    First off, this is more of a character study than a police procedural. The thru line is the relationship between the two leads. The serial killer hunt is more of a sub-plot. So, you have lots of dialogue and personal drama going on. When there is some action (Ep 3 or 4) you can see what this show might have been. The ending is trite and more of a "we have to wrap this up somehow"First off, this is more of a character study than a police procedural. The thru line is the relationship between the two leads. The serial killer hunt is more of a sub-plot. So, you have lots of dialogue and personal drama going on. When there is some action (Ep 3 or 4) you can see what this show might have been. The ending is trite and more of a "we have to wrap this up somehow" resolution. Is it worth watching? Sure, just keep in mind what to expect. Expand
  71. Mar 22, 2014
    True Detective is great television, but I think it gets a lot more hype and praise than it deserves.The series works better as a character study between Rust and Hart than as a "true detective" mystery thriller. Hopefully the focus carries through to the next season, it would be a shame for this to turn into another procedural. The "whodunnit" aspect of the series really doesn't work soTrue Detective is great television, but I think it gets a lot more hype and praise than it deserves.The series works better as a character study between Rust and Hart than as a "true detective" mystery thriller. Hopefully the focus carries through to the next season, it would be a shame for this to turn into another procedural. The "whodunnit" aspect of the series really doesn't work so well when you have a set of two dozen or so on-screen characters, but, again, that is not necessarily a bad thing.

McConaughey and Harrelson do an absolutely phenomenal job portraying essentially three distinct characters in the short span of eight episodes. I love the Nietzsche tie-ins, but it felt a bit heavy handed at certain points when Rust has to go through and explain everything.
  72. Mar 21, 2014
    I'm going to go out on a metaphorical limb here and make a really bizarre comparison.

This show really reminded me of the recently released movie American Hustle. Both were intensely complex and deep narratives captured within the framework of trope-like story structures (Hustle with the sting operation and Detective with the cop-crime-drama). However I found True Detective to be executed much better, dealing with themes such as nihilism and existentialism, whereas American Hustle was more akin to an acid trip within the mind of an absurdist kleptomaniac.

True Detective is a masterpiece not just because of its stellar dialogue, marvelous acting, gorgeous cinematography, and daring directing. It is a masterpiece because of the fact that it does all of this while balancing such complex ideas, taking it's characters down philosophical rabbit holes that immerses the viewer.
  73. Mar 21, 2014
    Curious about my 3 out of 10 rating? No, its not a joke, read on.

Curious about my 3 out of 10 rating? No, its not a joke, read on.

There are so many things wrong with True Detective as a tv drama. Let's begin with raising some important questions that define a show. Who are the characters? True Detective has unique, original characters that are well defined, interesting and well-developed. Are those characters likeable? No. No they are not. Matthew McCaughnahey plays an anti-social introverted, depressed anarchistic rogue of a detective who is painted to be brilliant at what he does. But he never does anything ... that anyone else with a badge couldn't do. And listening to his crazy ramblings about how people suck, and why everyone sucks, is amusing at first, but serves no point and gets old really quick. Woody Harrolson plays a more normal, cheerful detective. Who we soon discover is cheating on his wife, treats her poorly, has a big ego and looks down on others. Now I understand that not all characters have to be saints, and likeable in every way, but these two are the main characters, the protagonists of a weekly series. If you can't understand why they do things, and support and get behind them, then what can you do?

Next question. Why do we care? Well, True Detective is a short series about these two detectives solving one case. It jumps back and forth between the past and the present, as they had thought they solved the case, but maybe they got it wrong. Is this interesting? Well, it could be, but its not, and it's really quite pointless. Now, if you're going to have an entire series dedicated to solving one case -- shouldn't that case at least be interesting? Yes it should, and is it? Well, parts of it are -- the art director does a good job with the Hannibal-like crime scenes, unlike hannibal, where we get to see the minds of the killers, and delve into their delusions and philosophys and learn what makes them tick. We don't learn anything about this killer. Why does he do it? All we're given is the murder scenes, and they aren't so original that they make us want to see more of them. By the end of the series we do learn the killers movie. Spoiler, his motive is that he's a crazy killer. Dissapointing? Yes, I think so. If you're going to go through the trouble of artistic, satanic ritual killings, shouldn't you at least have a motive for doing so? Yes... you should. So now we are devoting an entire show about 2 detectives whom we dont like, solving a boring case by a killer with no purpose.

Next Question. Is it exciting? No. Actually, its quite the opposite. a 60 minute series airing with no commercials, True Detective has all the non-stop suspenseful action of a Bus Stop in the Grand Canyon, during the winter. It moves at SNAIL pace... and NOTHING happens... and when something does happen, ITS NOT INTERESTING. You can fast forward through McCaughnahey's rambles, and Harrolson's extramarital discressions, and what are you left with? A weak show, with no action, and no intelligence to support its strong cast and well-written script.

I don't recommend this show, to anyone.

Who am I? Why should you listen to what I have to say?
    Well, I have been watching TV dramas since 1998, and have thus far seen
    188 dramas from start to finish. Over 10,000 hours of TV. Including shows from other countries.
    I've seen more TV, likely, than anyone you know, and anyone they know. So I may just be some guy, but I'm not speaking from my ass with this review. I do know what I'm talking about. And I DONT LIKE TRUE DETECTIVE. And Niether should you. Watch Hannibal instead.
  74. Mar 20, 2014
    This was my favourite TV show ever half way through the 8 episodes. Episode 4 cemented it for me. I haven't thought about a TV show from when an episode ends to the next one begins a week later like this since Lost. I hung off every single thing Rust (McConaughey said. There is hidden meaning in everything. I can usually guess the killer straight off in procedural dramas, had no clue withThis was my favourite TV show ever half way through the 8 episodes. Episode 4 cemented it for me. I haven't thought about a TV show from when an episode ends to the next one begins a week later like this since Lost. I hung off every single thing Rust (McConaughey said. There is hidden meaning in everything. I can usually guess the killer straight off in procedural dramas, had no clue with this. Highly recommend it to anyone who has the intelligence to stick with it. Expand
  75. Mar 20, 2014
    una de las peores series del mundo el que escribio esto nisiquiera vio la ley y el orden monk sci nsci algo por dios es malisima!!!!!!!!! esta serie y ray donovan deberian ser prendidas fuego por que? porque el que escribio esta basura ni siquiera vio una serie ni busco ni nada solo hiso algo comercial y me parece que se nota que no sabe nada los tiempos para que es the office la seriesuna de las peores series del mundo el que escribio esto nisiquiera vio la ley y el orden monk sci nsci algo por dios es malisima!!!!!!!!! esta serie y ray donovan deberian ser prendidas fuego por que? porque el que escribio esta basura ni siquiera vio una serie ni busco ni nada solo hiso algo comercial y me parece que se nota que no sabe nada los tiempos para que es the office la series esa de mierda un asco!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  76. Mar 18, 2014
    This may earn me a bad reputation on here, which it shouldn't, but be that as it may someone has to say this: Although I've sat through the entire season, I still can't get over how laughably sexist the show is. The women of True Detective get three options: You're the extension of the man ("my family" "my wife/ex" "my children"), you're a stripper/prostitute/home-wrecker (for men), orThis may earn me a bad reputation on here, which it shouldn't, but be that as it may someone has to say this: Although I've sat through the entire season, I still can't get over how laughably sexist the show is. The women of True Detective get three options: You're the extension of the man ("my family" "my wife/ex" "my children"), you're a stripper/prostitute/home-wrecker (for men), or you're dead (because of a man). Well, I suppose if you're lucky you're a really weird backcountry hick or extra or something. I'd really like to see some strong, stand alone females brought to this show. It's entertaining, which earns it a 2, but if True Detective ever hopes to reach Breaking Bad status, it may help to stop alienating your female audience and introduce some more complex female characters. Expand
  77. Mar 18, 2014
    One of the most effective slow burns I've witnessed in TV history. An impeccable performance by the two leads and perfectly matched music created a dark, disturbed look into the life of a serial killer.

Excited to see who and where will be included in the next season!
  78. Mar 18, 2014
    Entertaining but not the masterpiece that the critics are trying to sell. Without the great acting of the two main actors it would be completely forgettable. The plot is not offering anything new or surprising, lot 's of echoes of True Blood and Hannibal and the main characters are stereotypes. Great direction and photography, though.
  79. Mar 17, 2014
    When I saw the trailer, I expected good, but what I got was magnificently amazing. The casting is superb; the chemistry between McConaughey and Harrelson is undeniably astounding. But then there's the acting. I can't begin to describe the satisfaction I got from McConaughey' s performance - to clarify: Matthew is (or at least claims to be) a "hardcore" christian, and if you saw this show,When I saw the trailer, I expected good, but what I got was magnificently amazing. The casting is superb; the chemistry between McConaughey and Harrelson is undeniably astounding. But then there's the acting. I can't begin to describe the satisfaction I got from McConaughey' s performance - to clarify: Matthew is (or at least claims to be) a "hardcore" christian, and if you saw this show, you've probably been fooled and you're not the only one.
    The brilliance of this show is definitely the writing. I've been waiting a long time, for a show that deals with ontological and other philosophical questions, and the way they delivered it, was impeccable.
    Just one more thing - the landscape. They chose landscape that fits in more than perfect with the show's mood and progress.
  80. Mar 16, 2014
    Sometimes I will watch a tv show and from the beginning I will have to force myself to push through boring dialog. From the start of this show to the end I WAS GLUED! I wanted more and more and more. The characters were amazing the story was very clever and kept me thinking. I really hope if they continue with new detectives they sit down and think very hard about how they can top this.Sometimes I will watch a tv show and from the beginning I will have to force myself to push through boring dialog. From the start of this show to the end I WAS GLUED! I wanted more and more and more. The characters were amazing the story was very clever and kept me thinking. I really hope if they continue with new detectives they sit down and think very hard about how they can top this. This is one of my favorite series thank you HBObasedgod Expand
  81. Mar 16, 2014
    I have edited my previous review to make it shorter.
    I have edited my previous review to make it shorter.
    The series lacked substance and was full of talking and unnecessary cinematography which went on for far too long. There was no real feeling of suspense or intrigue. The series attempted to be deep and meaningful with metaphorical and unrealistic dialogue, but instead lacked a sense of direction and focused solely on the uninteresting and unlikeable characters, their personal lives and companionship.
  82. Mar 15, 2014
    most alluring TV series i've ever seen. Loved the way Cohle describing his philosophy of life. Mystery was never my kick to watch this show rather it was the mystifying personality of Cohle which aroused my interest right through the beginning. Quoting Cohle' "You're looking at the sky thing wrong. Once there was only dark. If you ask me the light's winning."
  83. Mar 15, 2014
    What Is Worth Noting & As intriguing Enough in this radiant series is the role the two main characters hold in the development of the narrative as also the kind of interpersonal bundle which happens explicitly among them. Both, serve keenly to justifications on story premiss as of unique interest that pops out from viewing it. Great focus for TV Series Making.
  84. Mar 15, 2014
    One of the better shows this year. Really good acting and good story line. Perhaps a bit slow during the first three episodes, but after that it picks up great!
  85. Mar 14, 2014
    Loved, loved, loved this show. Everything about it was superb: the music, the writing, the direction, the cinematography, the actors in supporting roles - but most of the glory goes to Woody and Matthew. They are giants. Matthew in particular gave the most exciting, most subtle performance, easily making believable the changes in Rust over the years. Rust Cohle is the single mostLoved, loved, loved this show. Everything about it was superb: the music, the writing, the direction, the cinematography, the actors in supporting roles - but most of the glory goes to Woody and Matthew. They are giants. Matthew in particular gave the most exciting, most subtle performance, easily making believable the changes in Rust over the years. Rust Cohle is the single most compelling fictional character since Hannibal Lecter (while being a much nicer guy). Like Hopkins' performance and like Cranston's Walter White, Matthew's Rust Cohle will become one of the most memorable characters in cinema history. What a monumental performance.

I'm a girl and a feminist and wasn't in the least offended by TD, unlike some ultra-orthodox feminist complainers. Girls, there's always "Girls" and "Orange is the New Black" if you really need your fix of all female casts. Pity there's nobody in either of those who has Matthew's or Woody's talents as actors to make your series truly memorable.
  86. Mar 14, 2014
    I loved this from start to finish. The writing is good throughout and has a lot of philosophical and emotional depth to it. There is also a constant mass of things you`re not really told about as a viewer, forcing you to pay attention but also to think for yourself, for all the good it`ll do you. There is no clear bad guy to focus your antipathy toward, except in the last episode, and theI loved this from start to finish. The writing is good throughout and has a lot of philosophical and emotional depth to it. There is also a constant mass of things you`re not really told about as a viewer, forcing you to pay attention but also to think for yourself, for all the good it`ll do you. There is no clear bad guy to focus your antipathy toward, except in the last episode, and the protagonists are far from easy to sympathize with in their own right. And even at the end you are left unsatisfied because most of the really bad people were not caught, just the demon Harrelson and McConaughey had been trying to find for 17 years.
    Critics think this is True Detective taking itself seriously, when it`s really just an intelligent writer not trying to pretend the world is better than it is, and choosing not to joke it away. In the end this makes it not so much depressing as simply neutral, but with a lot of emotion in it regardless. It dares to not explain important things to its viewers, perhaps expecting them to be able to figure some stuff out by themselves, while it deals with enormous subjects almost effortlessly, as if it`s the most natural thing in the world.
    Which brings me to the acting, which is some of the best I have seen from both Harrelson and McConaughey. They both look and act as if they have utterly disappeared into their well written roles. The supporting cast is also good and along with the southern setting and atmospheric sound of the series it really does transport you as if it was a novel and not a television program. My only problem was that I had to turn the volume really high to be able to make out what McConaughey was saying a lot of the time, what with his throaty way of talking.

I marvel at the criticism of "feminists" regarding the female characters, when it`s a show about two men, one a single alcoholic with at least a couple of serious personal issues, and the other middle aged and cheating on his wife. And in a show in which all the men are either alcoholics, adulterers, child murderers or religious hypocrites, how does this criticism even begin developing in tiny minds? Perhaps I should complain about how True Detective treats the male characters and if anything it would have been sexist to portray women in a good light next to all these despicable men. You notice that the deranged serial killer and all his friends were men. Perhaps they should have been rewritten as female characters instead. In fact basically every single murderer, serial killer, rapist, drug lord and evil person in every TV series and movie made over the last few decades have been men. I demand reparations!
    You don`t have to like the women in the True Detective but how else was the betrayed wife supposed to have behaved? And which woman should have been artificially introduced into the life of the other man who was single by his own choice? The other female characters were all either children, prostitutes or witnesses, and all looked about right for the part. And even if they didn`t, is there some law now that all men must love and respect all women and pretend they are perfect saints, no matter how they behave? And if there is why isn`t there a corresponding one saying that all women must love and respect all men, even if they are exposing themselves in the park or are wife beaters? This hypocrisy is just enough to make my head hurt. Anyway, if this law does exist allow me to break it immediately by voting ten.

In reality of course, True Detective is not about men and certainly not about women. It is about good and evil, life and death and a broken man finding light at the end of a very very long tunnel. Call it presumptuous, but I liked it!
  87. Mar 14, 2014
    I became obsessed with this series during the 8 weeks it was on. But even now, after it's over, I can't stop thinking about it. An atmospheric mood piece with the two most brilliant performances I've seen on TV or at the movies in years. The dialogue is mesmerizing, the direction by Fukunada world class, the cinematography the envy of any movie with a $100 million budget.

Matthew

Matthew McConaughey has become a master. His performance as intricate, multilayered and finely crafted as a Faberge egg. When did this guy become our greatest actor? So glad he did. He was devastating in the role of Rust, a character I won't forget.

This was a story about two men, not the women in their lives, so big feminist fail on criticizing it for weak female characters. I'm a woman and was spellbound watching their relationship develop.
  88. Mar 13, 2014
    I literally just finished watching the final episode about 20 minutes ago, and the first thing I want to say is this show is pretty slow, and the two main characters are both quite unlikeable. Through the whole thing, I was expecting to see a real evolution in the characters worse traits, but Cohle stuck to the "quite crazy guy" trope and Marty stuck to the "big brutish family man" trope.I literally just finished watching the final episode about 20 minutes ago, and the first thing I want to say is this show is pretty slow, and the two main characters are both quite unlikeable. Through the whole thing, I was expecting to see a real evolution in the characters worse traits, but Cohle stuck to the "quite crazy guy" trope and Marty stuck to the "big brutish family man" trope. Maybe I've just heard too much about this show before I got into it, about it's cults and the powerful story arc, how realistic it's characters are, but ultimately I felt underwhelmed by where they took this story. One thing this show *really* does well, however, is the technical side of things. I'd say the top moment for me was the end of episode 4 (season 1, for all you future-dwellers), and people who are on the fence about watching this show should at least get to that point before judging it. This probably isn't for me, but who knows, maybe I just need time to dwell on it to really understand the "greatness" of this show, and catch the second season next year if it comes out. Expand
  89. Mar 12, 2014
    Just when I thought there weren't going to be any more excellent series tv shows, here came a hurricane of great acting, plots and suspense. Matthew & Woody are both astonishingly good - what a fantastic treat for tv fans & what another coup for HBO.
  90. Mar 11, 2014
    The best season of television ever. The tropes of story-telling, life, death, balance, and time hit the nail right on the head. Never before has a show attempted such large scale thematic elements with such a condensed story. It speaks many truths about the lives we lead every day and how they contribute to the overall meaning of purpose. It is going to be a difficult challenge for HBO toThe best season of television ever. The tropes of story-telling, life, death, balance, and time hit the nail right on the head. Never before has a show attempted such large scale thematic elements with such a condensed story. It speaks many truths about the lives we lead every day and how they contribute to the overall meaning of purpose. It is going to be a difficult challenge for HBO to follow-up with a second season. I hope that writer Nic Pizzolatto has awesome ideas for the show’s future. Hat’s off to everyone involved for helping me get through this terrible winter with such unbelievable entertainment. Expand
  91. Mar 11, 2014
    Why is this show so popular? Who are the people giving it positive reviews?! Are they the people who watch Fox News? This is the first time I was sooo disappointed with a show that I just have to create an account to rate this.
  92. Mar 11, 2014
    I'm pretty sure this is the best show I've ever seen. I don't understand how after watching the last episode anyone can give this show a negative review. The setting is so spooky! It really reminds me of some of the best old x-files but with better acting, better character development, and a wicked immersive setting.
  93. Mar 11, 2014
    After watching the whole season the finale is a bit of a letdown. That being said, the only reason the finale was a letdown was because episodes 1-6 (most of 7) was absolutely phenomenal. It is without a doubt one of the finest first seasons of a TV series I've ever seen. Right up there with Game of Thrones and Hannibal. The rich and lush environment of the Louisiana swamp. The inhabitantsAfter watching the whole season the finale is a bit of a letdown. That being said, the only reason the finale was a letdown was because episodes 1-6 (most of 7) was absolutely phenomenal. It is without a doubt one of the finest first seasons of a TV series I've ever seen. Right up there with Game of Thrones and Hannibal. The rich and lush environment of the Louisiana swamp. The inhabitants dripping in Cajun 'sauce.' Then the acting was spectacular all around especially Mcconaughey's Rust Cohle, a complete nihilist, with an almost endless vocabulary. (I assume Rust and Boyd Crowder would be fast friends) An absolutely amazing new series, and I can't wait for season 2. Expand
  94. Mar 11, 2014
    After being fascinated by 6.5 episodes (it was clear something was wrong by the middle of the 7th), I was very disappointed in the 8th and final one. All that suspense lacked a coherent third act. I'm not going to quibble about what threads in the elaborate plot went anywhere -- few paid off. The finale was lacking even on its own terms: It was badly paced, haphazardly plotted, andAfter being fascinated by 6.5 episodes (it was clear something was wrong by the middle of the 7th), I was very disappointed in the 8th and final one. All that suspense lacked a coherent third act. I'm not going to quibble about what threads in the elaborate plot went anywhere -- few paid off. The finale was lacking even on its own terms: It was badly paced, haphazardly plotted, and sloppily scripted. Ignore the hype, set expectations low and enjoy the first 6.5 episodes. Expand
  95. Mar 11, 2014
    I just have watched the last episode of the show and felt the strong urge to watch it over and over again - al least another 2 times. Here´s why: This show is just a superbly written, ferociously performed and incredibly directed TV-series. It´s unconditional love for detail, slow pacing and making the viewer feel for each and every one of the characters (maybe except of the killer),I just have watched the last episode of the show and felt the strong urge to watch it over and over again - al least another 2 times. Here´s why: This show is just a superbly written, ferociously performed and incredibly directed TV-series. It´s unconditional love for detail, slow pacing and making the viewer feel for each and every one of the characters (maybe except of the killer), while blurring the edges between good and evil makes it a chilling experience straight to the bone. There´s is no plot hole but always some room for letting your fantasy unravel. Finally closing the story after episode eight protects the series from dying the "Dexter-dead" (you know what i mean ... that lumberjack stuff). Good! Not to mention Harrelson and McConaughey reaching new heights... oops I just did. Hate it without any good reason or give it a serious try and get your mind blown. Expand
  96. Mar 10, 2014
    Hands down one of the bests overall seasons of any show I've ever watched. The acting, the characters, the gloomy/creepy story. It sucks you right in and you can't help but stay hooked all through the eight episodes. It's a shame the story ends after only eight but it never gets dull and comes to a satisfying conclusion. I can't believe anyone could give this show a proper reviewHands down one of the bests overall seasons of any show I've ever watched. The acting, the characters, the gloomy/creepy story. It sucks you right in and you can't help but stay hooked all through the eight episodes. It's a shame the story ends after only eight but it never gets dull and comes to a satisfying conclusion. I can't believe anyone could give this show a proper review before watching it all the way through. Though, I was impressed right from the first episode. Highly recommended! Expand
  97. Mar 10, 2014
    By far one of the greatest seasons of television that I've ever had the fortune of watching. Every moment was griping and it succeeded in providing interesting and philosophical dialogue but also contrasting that with heavy actions (including the famous 6 minute long tracking shot). This is one of those seasons of television where every aspect comes together perfectly and reallyBy far one of the greatest seasons of television that I've ever had the fortune of watching. Every moment was griping and it succeeded in providing interesting and philosophical dialogue but also contrasting that with heavy actions (including the famous 6 minute long tracking shot). This is one of those seasons of television where every aspect comes together perfectly and really demonstrates how well made this television show truly is. Expand
  98. Mar 10, 2014
    An excellent and brilliant series, it's a unique and innovative show, everything is awesome, the atmosphere, the creepy scenes and the themes that are addressed, all is perfect.
  99. Mar 10, 2014
    What a pleasure to watch McConaughey's sublime performance as Det. Rustin "Rust" Cohle. He's a law man with a past, which at times haunts him, and at others plunge him to so deeply into an investigation we as viewers begin to question what the driving force of such a peculiar character is. It's a testament to McConaughey's skill as an actor that his portrayal of an eminently disagreeableWhat a pleasure to watch McConaughey's sublime performance as Det. Rustin "Rust" Cohle. He's a law man with a past, which at times haunts him, and at others plunge him to so deeply into an investigation we as viewers begin to question what the driving force of such a peculiar character is. It's a testament to McConaughey's skill as an actor that his portrayal of an eminently disagreeable character comes across as so nuanced, so richly textured that we're drawn into the gravitational pull of his on screen persona.

The two detectives discovery of one another plays like the tale of two totally committed actors. In many ways the same old story: the sleepy incumbent and his brilliant, new upstart partner "shaking things up." We've all seen it before, and seen it done badly. Where True Detectives shines is in the script letting us get to know Cohle and Hart intimately, while creating a story which fits their characters personalities, their strengths, their weakness, their motivation; perfectly. The pacing is spot on, and keeps gathering momentum with every revelation of the characters and plot.

True Detectives has every right to the great Meta score it has garnered. McConaughey and Harrelson breathe life into Nick Pizzolatto's script in a way that every director and producer in television should take note of: more of this please.
  100. Mar 10, 2014
    While I thought the acting by Matt and Woody was terrific,the plot and storyline had lots of gaps .

Here are a few: How did the killer get to the prostitutes he killed when he spent most of his time scoping Tuttle schools for children for weird sexual rites? Was the yellow king the sun? I guess .Was the killer mainly a scout for children for the Tuttle rituals ?There seemed to be

mainly a scout for children for the Tuttle rituals ?There seemed to be sheriff and Tuttle family involvement
    but that was just washed away with a " we didn't get everyone" single statement. That's weak writing.

Many holes even though I enjoyed the show.

1. Reviewed by: Jeff Korbelik
    Mar 27, 2014
    The drama is quite riveting.
  2. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Mar 27, 2014
    Whatever the length of the show’s much admired tracking shot (six minutes, uncut!), it feels less hardboiled than softheaded. Which might be O.K. if True Detective were dumb fun, but, good God, it’s not: it’s got so much gravitas it could run for President.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Feb 20, 2014
    HBO's program is not just an actor's showcase for two greats. It is dense, complex, rewarding storytelling, heightened by a sense of location from its writer and director that is mesmerizing and a character-driven storytelling aesthetic that brings to mind great films like David Fincher's "Zodiac" and Bong Joon-ho's "Memories of Murder."