• Network: CBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 22, 2003
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9 , 10 , 11 , 12
3.9

1. Oct 3, 2011
    With Charlie Sheen's departure from the show, the producer and writers had to scramble to come up with a replacement, and a new script. What was shown in the first episode is perhaps the greatest signal that 2 & 1/2 men is done for. What has been showcased in this season is perhaps the most unfunny material ever created. Ashton continues to show case his lack of acting ability, and the writers continue to show case how their writing ability parallels that of a kindergarten student's abilities. Ashton's character is poorly written and one dimensional, and is flushed out more as a mentally handicapped adult rather than a man with maturity issues. It is becoming more and more apparent that the writers have shifted their joke focus from womanizing and general sexuality to dick and gay jokes with Season 9. The writers have also opted for trying to have an adult male portray teen angst (but again, coming across as mentally handicapped), and having Judith swoon over Ashton's character. Just like that. Take this reviewers advice and run far, far away from 2 & 1/2 men.â Expand
  2. Oct 4, 2011
    It is evident how much this show needs Charlie Sheen. Chuck Lorre needs to swallow his pride (like Charlie did) and make this show semi-bearable again.
  3. Oct 2, 2011
    Horrible. Really, really horrible. Not funny, badly acted, poorly written, and with a god awful laugh track. Kutcher makes the show worse, and the two returning cats members, Jon Cryer and the kid, are as bad as ever. Cancel it already.
  4. Sep 26, 2011
    after seeing the second half of the season premier, i'm ready to say i like it and I'm interested in seeing more. walden schmidt and his situation are pretty compelling. the expansion of his character in this episode leads me to believe a lot of laughs are possible. well done so far.
  5. Nov 25, 2011
    Just really uncomfortable to watch..... the show worked when it was two brothers bantering back and forth with his brother and nephew mooching off of him..... now, Alan Harper is one of the more unlikable characters on the boob tube.
  6. Sep 27, 2011
    There was a moment in the second half of the Season 9 opener that crystalized the attitude of Chuck Lorre towards Charlie Sheen.
    Once again, one of Charlie's old girl friends drops in, is told that he "passed on" and burst into tears.
    Then Ashton Kutcher walks in -- and the girl instantly forgets about Charlie and flashes a come-on smile.

Apparently Lorre hopes or believes that such a
    scene (laughing at Charlie's "demise", for the second week in a row) also describes the audience's response to the new season. We are expected to forget Charlie and welcome the frequently undressed Ashton as his replacement.

Unfortunately for the new season, shows from the other seasons are frequently being aired through syndication, so there is a constant reminder of Charlie's presence in a role that he made his own.

What's with the scene this week of Ashton and Jon Cryer waking up cuddling naked together after a night of drinking? (Can't imagine Charlie and Alan doing that!) The new show scrapes the bottom of the barrel for laughs -- producing more winces than laughter.

And the other Charlie news this week is that he has "settled" for approximately 25 million dollars, after Lorre fired him. One thing that is surely unimaginable is that this show will run another nine seasons....since it is barely limping along as it is.
  7. Sep 20, 2011
    this review pertains to the season 9 premiere only. i'm by no means a die-hard fan of the show, but at its prime it was a GOOD show. the last few seasons were gradually getting worse until sheen's departure. not instantly unfunny, like the simpsons, but progressively worse as it went on. what charlie sheen said all along was validated in this episode that desperately tried to transition to kutcher from sheen. in its last seasons, he DID carry the show when the writing got lazy with his quick wit and timing but couldn't continue to take on that much responsibility with his limited pay... seriously, 6 friends x 1 million each per episode back in the day, while many ppl around him were getting sloppy.
    as someone who understands the industry, sheen knew the earning potential of the show and just how much advertisers WERE willing to pay CBS to air their ads during the show, and realized the math wasn't adding up. he acted out, went somewhat insane, but what he originally said about the show seems to make a lot of sense now, especially after this season 9 premiere.
    the way the writers tried to kill off his character while trying to elicit lulz from the laugh track was tasteless. exploding bag of meat!? really? the man that made you filthy rich? kind of a weak send off... but again validates what he said all along about the uninspired writing. kutcher is extremely weak in his debut, boring (and shirtless?) only exposing the show for what it is nowadays. cryer is still an awkward, unfunny troll and angus t. young an ungrateful anti-talent who outgrew his role and actually recommended kutcher as a replacement for charlie in the first place. CBS lobbied an emmy for melissa mccarthy to keep mike & molly on for another season, but no amount of fake hype can replace the actual lack of viewers for CBS' comedy lineup.
    charlie sheen definitely won... and he can keep winning by coming back stronger than ever, while continuing to take care of his kids and himself.
  8. Dec 30, 2011
    This show was one of the worst on TV before Charlie Sheen left, and it's officially the worst now that he's gone. EVERYBODY on the cast, even the woefully terrible Jon Cryer, could be doing much better with their careers. Angus T. Jones is never going to have an acting job again when this show finally ends. It is the poster of terrible television and will continue to be for years and years to come. Expand
  9. Feb 21, 2012
    Much much funnier with Charlie Sheen.
    Words can't describe how much worse Ashton Kutcher is as both an actor and comedian.
    Jokes often fall flat, and you often hear what feels like the same sexual regurgitated jokes over and over again.

Instead of trying to make the show interesting and throwing in new characters, it's more like they tried to simply replace the main character with a still
    horny, but much less entertaining/ talented actor.

OVERALL: The writing and acting are by far the worst they've ever been in both Two and a Half Men let alone any decent sit-com. I'm extremely surprised if the show gets picked up for another season.

2.5/10
  10. Sep 20, 2011
    Ashton is a very talented comedy actor and is doing a great job, but we're all agreeing that without Charlie Two and a Half Men will never be the same anymore.
  11. Nov 22, 2011
    This is really, really, really bad. Like, terrible. Ashton Kutcher is horrible as Charlie's replacement. Jon Cryer continues to be awful like he always has been. This needs to be saved by cancellation.
  12. Nov 22, 2011
    I cannot believe how terrible this has become. Jon Cryer is horrible as usual and Ashton couldn't even make this show better. He should leave before he tarnishes his reputation like Jon Cryer has.
  13. Nov 22, 2011
    Jon Cryer was right. Charlie Sheen did make it look easy. He was the one thing carrying this show away from death, and now that he's gone, it deserves to die. This is downright awful, terrible really. Hopefully Ashton too will leave before he ruins his career. Jon Cryer has already ruined his by staying with this show for nine years.
  14. Jan 9, 2012
    I used to love this show but I can't even watch it now. It's not funny anymore. There are too many sex related jokes that can't hide the lack of ideas.
  15. Feb 5, 2012
    Its actually scary how awful this is. Its so painfully terrible. WE WANT CHARLIE BACK. He was the best thing about this show. Jon CRYER IS NOT FUNNY AT ALL. CBS MAKE BETTER SHOWS.
  16. Sep 21, 2011
    The first episode in the post-Sheen era for the show is suprisingly good. I was expecting a sad, boring retrospective thing of a show, but what I got was actually quite funny starting from the funeral scene to the new characters introduction. I admit that I am biased in that Charlie felt like a very lazy character for a while now so I am looking forward to seeing how Kutchers character develops.
  17. Owl
    Sep 23, 2011
    Based on the pilot for Season 9, this show is MUCH better off without Charlie. Ashton is adorable and with him around, the whole experience is less vinegary and easier to take. Much fresher. Still immature (flatulence jokes) but that's what this show is about. I found it was getting very same-old with Charlie, so I was not a fan. Yay for Ashton! Now for how they will weave his character into the show, I look forward to finding out. Expand
  18. Sep 26, 2011
    Well, it will maybe take some adjustment with Ashton in there, but overall, I strongly believe that the show will keep its quirky edge. It's unfortunate that shows on these networks seem to rely so much on criticism to remain on the air rather than good honest earned respect from dedicated, loyal fans...no matter what twists happen to their favourite characters.
  19. Oct 18, 2011
    The show may not be the same without Sheen's character, and it also may be raunchier, but one things for sure, its still funny. Sheen's departure did make way for new blood and the casting of Ashton was well done. Though I'm not sure who that half man is anymore as the three leads are legally adults. Though the humor is far from mature adult humor.
  20. Apr 4, 2012
    This show went from bad to worse. Nice try writers, scoring Ashton and all but the show still sucks and I don't see this show getting any better...ever. The scripts are to laugh at and the cast of shows like Gossip Girl are more watchable.
  21. Dec 14, 2011
    In certain point of view, this season is my favourite, honestly I like more Ashton Kutcher than Charlie Sheen. Some people tell me that he does the same jokes but I don't care. Really. Very funny.
  22. Dec 13, 2011
    This show is really bad now. I use to watch it. Now it is just stupid nonstop sex and fart jokes. I am only talking about the show it's not because of the Charlie Sheen and his boss crap. The writers should at least be fired. If it was not on next season no one would care. Really Bad!! Take it off the air!!
  23. Nov 5, 2012
    Without Charlie Sheen the show suck it not funny no more I just go to buy all of seasons with Sheen in it. Ashton Kutcher is horrible as Charlie's replacement. Jon Cryer continues to be awful like he always has been. This needs to be saved by cancellation.
  24. Dec 17, 2012
    Ashton Cutcher is definitive NOT funny. Who wants to see a computer nerd, if he can have Playboy Charlie? Charlie Sheen was by far better. Angus T. Jones is just boring. Even the jokes are worse.
  25. Jan 25, 2013
    I think that people on here are just wounded by Charlie's exit. Seriously, it's still a very enjoyable show, a great introduction for Walden and they should keep the lineup!
  26. Jul 5, 2013
    With Walden Schmidt (Aston Kutcher) joining, "Two and a Half Men" becomes a delight once again, with his character fitting perfectly well with the original characters. All around funny and with Walden's nice guy attitude, what's bad to say. With thirty minutes to kill, what better than to watch "Two and a Half Men: Season 9"!
  27. Sep 19, 2011
    The days of Charlie Sheen (char. Charlie Harper) are now officially over, due to his ridiculous, ridiculous drug habits (which I support with my wristbands from Spencer's), as we welcome Ashton Kutcher to the cast as Internet entrepreneur Walden Schmidt. Note that the ninth season premiere was my first time actually watching this show, so I cannot speak in comparison to the previous eight seasons from 2003 to early on in 2011. But from the looks of it thus far, it's a pretty funny TV show. A lot of the humor from the season's first episode was coming from Ashton Kutcher's desire to flaunt his body as if on a nudist beach (umm, would you mind, Ashton, being a little generous and saving the visual editors some time and work?), but the rest of the humor is the bawdy, clever type of humor we want from any TV comedy. Expand
  28. Apr 7, 2014
    Oh dear, I think this is the ultimate reminder that, Charlie Sheen is what made this show good, now in all fairness, the first episode was pretty decent, didn't have me in stitches or anything but I could watch it again, it did a good job introducing the Character & showing the effect of Charlie's death on the other characters, from then on the show transformed into a bland, unfunny, almost boring show that only causes me to so much as **** every two episodes, I sat through five episodes & had to stop watching, no I turned over to Comedy Central extra & watched a Charlie Sheen episode, & laughed my head off for the whole time, don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with Waldan In general, he's just not a good main character for a show that has been establishing itself for 8 years as a very cheeky American sitcom, Alan's become a complete joke of a character, & the less said about Jake the better, the only character who's maintained her honour, wit & overall character is Berta, who is generally the one who still makes me **** every two episodes, I don't want Two and a Half Men to go off the air or be cancelled, & I understand that bringing back Charlie will probably never happen, so seriously, get rid of the ridiculousness that this show has sadly picked up & make it funny again, please! Expand
  29. May 14, 2014
    WOW -_- the show was driven by charlie but kutcher really took the show down hill dont know if its him all to blame, terrible dialog when I'm watching it I'm shaking my head in how lame this show got, at least when charlie was in it he was a personality that guys could relate to and find funny, while ashton just isn't funny at all.. the hole rich awkward nerd thing just comes up lame i was wondering if he had more of a charlie personality it might of worked out better because theres nothing funny about the guy. if jake and allen decide too quit at all god help them….. Expand
  30. Jul 21, 2014
    Tampoco os paséis... Claro que todos echamos de menos a Charlie, era el alma de la serie, pero con la novena temporada se le dio mas papel a Alan, que creo que necesitaba, y la verdad es que sigue siendo divertida. SÍ, LO ES. Seguro que el 80% de la gente vio el primer capitulo y al ver que no está Charlie, toma, le da un cero, pero eso no es ético, muchos de aquí no sabéis valorar.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Nov 7, 2011
    This is a well-constructed, old-school sex farce. [15 Nov 2011, p.43]
  2. Reviewed by: Lori Rackl
    Sep 20, 2011
    After eight long seasons, the show might end up being better off with some new blood--of the non-tiger variety.