• Network: CBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Jun 24, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
5.9

1. Jun 26, 2013
    Not impressed by far. The characters seems rather one sided and clichéd. We already know who will be bad (Junior, 'Big Jim' Rennie etc...) and who will play the good ones Linda, Joe McAlister etc.) in my opinion. I think there will be many romance added to the show. People behaved irrationally so far (throw a party next to a giant energy field?!?!?). The story might progress, but I think I have already seen the bad vs. good people, and who joins which side story already. Seem to me it will be a soap-opera wrapped in a science-fiction "dome". Not happy with this, but it might become good later. Expand
  2. Jul 11, 2013
    I had really high hopes for this show, it was just awful. I'm going to give it a 0/10, I just didn't like one thing about it. This is awful. Its just terrible.
  3. Jun 30, 2013
    I have tried to come up with a reasonable review but the only thing I can think of is disappointment. Read the book, the acting is much better and the scenery is superior too.
  4. Jul 7, 2013
    It seems like the show's creators have been living under a dome. Do the creators of a network series like this even watch TV? If so, obviously not shows like Boardwalk Empire, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, etc. It's hard to point out exactly where this series goes wrong because there is so much wrong here. The script is so transparent, the exposition so clumsy, it's painful to watch the actors go through the motions of their flat, clichéd characters. They seem uninspired and bored. It feels like I'm watching a soap. Even the soundtrack is like a soap. Sad. Dumb. Sad. Et tu, Speilberg? Expand
  5. Jul 7, 2013
    What a poor and distasteful interpretation of Stephen King's suspenseful novel. Even if you have not had the chance to read the novel please do not make your judgements of the book based off of your like or dislike of the show. It's an extremely loose adaptation at best. The show only preserves the names of the characters and the concept from the original text. The show aside from the book is a pathetic example of quality television and writing. Within the first 30 minutes of the first episode we're introduced to too many characters through too much poorly executed exposition with cheap dialogue delivered by stale acting. How this show is gaining popularity is beyond me however, after the second episode and reviews from the latter it's proving to be a faulty showing standing on brittle legs ready to collapse at any minute. I have a feeling that after a few more episodes the cracks will bust and the show will completely fall apart. Don't waste your time with this show just hope that maybe a few years down the line real writers and a progressive network will pick up the book and do it justice. Expand
  6. Jul 16, 2013
    This is defiantly the worst show of the summer. The acting and writing is just awful, the plot is predictable, and it is just terribly made. CBS programming has been pretty trashy in the last couple years. This show confirms this for me. If you like decent programming stay away from this show.
  7. Jul 2, 2013
    Sorry.....I'm a huge fan of the book and these re-writes are TERRIBLE. There's a big reason why Stephen King is mega-famous and the writers of this show are not. Horribly disappointed. Read the book....it's amazing.
  8. Jun 25, 2013
    Bad acting, bad dialogue, bad CGI. Maybe i'm too spoiled with shows like Mad Men/Game Of Thrones/Breaking Bad, still doesn't excuse the pure dreadfulness and it's cheap cliches
  9. Jul 5, 2013
    I read the book, I am a big Stephen King, and there have been the occasional King book that has been translated effectively to film but rarely. I still held out hopes for this project, since it had the length to tell the story in detail, and CBS clearly lavished funds toward it. But I was surprised by the inferiority and mediocrity of the project, from casting to camerawork to script. It had such a B quality about it, from the first frame and that surprised me most. It's not that the actors weren't familiar to me, or that they weren't major names, but their characterizations were so flat and generic, like soap opera characters. Additionally, as the intersection of actor and scripted character, they were also unsympathetic and unappealing. When I considered giving the second episode a shot, part of what deterred me is that I didn't like the characters enough to care. They were abrasive, unlikeable, unappealing, unsympathetic, opaque. I just didn't really care. They weren't real people, but caricatures "tough female reporter" "hunky troubled stubbled lead" "snarly older town boss" "Latina woman cop" etc. The camerawork was cheese. All the formulaic pans and closeups, and whatever else network TV does. Network cinematographers must do these camera maneuvers in their sleep, and dream of breaking free of the cliches. The script was flat and obvious pulling what I imagine were the most obvious plot-forwarding lines, or condensing into cliches. Stephen King is a brilliant underrated writer. The lines were soap-opera level. Ultimately, what was tense and atmospheric and quirky in print was mediocre soap-opera with network pacing leading to commercial breaks. Yuk. Yuk. Yuk. For a superior small-screen adaptation of Stephen King's vision, check out "The Mist." Expand
  10. Jul 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You Stephen King fans out there: "Under The Dome" Spoiler Alert! Don't expect the excellent translation to the small screen like they did with "The Stand" or even "Salem's Lot". Hollywood took this masterwork of Mr. King's (his best next to "The Stand" and shoved it through the shredder. Then they patched up all of the holes with new characters and added a completely altered story-line. They basically just kept the title. Why tamper with perfection? SKIP THE TV!!! READ THE BOOK! Expand
  11. Aug 3, 2013
    The roles the actors are asked to play are not characters, they are caricatures, thinly draw yet at times comically over exaggerated. The insanely jealous 'boyfriend' is the worst of many examples. No matter how good a story might be (and I won't even stick around to see how the story evolves) I cannot get past such a flaw in the writing.
  12. Jun 29, 2013
    Unlike others, I don't think this is the show to watch this summer. It's got great potential (mostly because of its eccentric base), but I don't see this lasting. The show conveyed the same idea for an hour, we're trapped in a dome. It certainly has mystery, but not enough to keep me watching.
  13. Jul 1, 2013
    I think I have finally reached my limit of dystopian/apocalyptic survival premises in which Conrad's Heart of Darkness is played over and over again. The only thing that's missing here is cannibalism, but maybe if I stick around long enough (fat chance), someone will dine on another. Enough already.
  14. Jul 8, 2013
    The story lines is ok. but this is the only thing that not terrible in Under The Dome. The Chartres are very pathetic, the actors and actress just don't good.
  15. Jul 18, 2013
    After watching the first two episodes I couldn't understand how Stephen King who I believe is an above average author would create such a simplistic and silly plot. King usually creates quite lifelike and vivid characters, not the kid's play that I saw on television.

So I bought the book...and I can tell you that the series is a not even close to what I've read until now. Well, there's
    a dome, yep, they got that one right. And some of the character names are the same. But that's basically it.

It's exactly what one would expect from network television these days. A water-downed plot, a few pretty faces and over 10 million people tuning in every week...
  16. Aug 20, 2013
    This is one of those instances where a show gets worse episode by episode. It suffers from two common network TV flaws: 1) the premise demands resolution but the series is open-ended. So you get episode after episode with teasing plot threads that go nowhere. 2) the writing is mediocre. Standard melodrama stuff. Under the Dome would have made a much better miniseries.
  17. Sep 9, 2013
    This is getting more and more stupid I guess they are just going to kill everyone and the only one left will be Big Jim. There is no sense to this. Where did this giant reservior come from in the middle of the town? it is a physical impossibility. Typical Stephen King trash.
  18. Jul 30, 2013
    Teen drama overshadows a decent plot.
    The show catches your eye with the brilliant special effects and gripping narrative but fires blanks in the following episodes. The characters seem very one dimensional and fall short on likeability. The focus is set on unsatisfying micro storylines instead of the juicy macro one.
  19. Aug 10, 2013
    Had this followed Stephen King's book it would have been far better than what is being presented now. I gave the show a chance, and liked it at first, but the ongoing implausible and annoyingly inane characters and plot twists have caused me to disconnect. 1/2 way through Season 1 I learn CBS is renewing for 2nd season already. Jeez! I thought maybe I could get through this stinker in 6 more episodes and wrap up this bad piece of fish, only to learn we are going to get served another helping. I think I am going to be sick, so I am stopping, pulling the plug, disconnecting and stop recording "Under the Dome". I can't waste anymore time on this. Have we not learned our lesson with "Lost"? Expand
  20. Aug 10, 2013
    The series could have been so successful, but I never though it will turn out this bad! Under the Dome's only positive points are the fact that its premise is interesting and intriguing and that there are some interesting plot points that have appeared in what I have seen in the series. But sadly, the series is filled with utterly annoying and unlikable characters that are extremely annoying and lack in any sort of logic. In television shows, audiences are supposed to care about the characters, but no care is given here. The dialogue is both corny and horrible and the CG is pretty damn terrible as well. As much as I wanted to continue watching the series, I kept getting constantly frustrated and annoying by the characters and there decisions and dialogue, the subplots and other things. A high concept drama gone wrong. Expand
  21. Aug 12, 2013
    I finally turned it off. Stupid people doing stupid things for no apparent reason. It's like half the town is brain dead and just doing whatever without a plan. The rest rape, steal and murder with impunity. If this is a true metaphor for how mankind is dealing with limited resources then we are all in big trouble.
  22. Aug 20, 2013
    How can Stephen King be a party to this disconnected, uninteresting series? I read the book and it was a real page-turner. This show is so far removed from the story in the book, that I don't even watch it anymore. There's going to be a season 2? That would be dragging it out far too long; but then it really isn't Under the Dome.. Very disappointed.
  23. Aug 20, 2013
    One of the most difficult-to-watch train wrecks of a show I've had the misfortune of viewing in recent years. I feel badly for the actors; bad direction, terrible cliché writing, flat inconsistent characters even skilled actors would be set up for failure.

Breaking Bad: 74/100 Under the Dome: 72/100 clearly the "metascore" on here is quite meaningless if one of the best shows on
    television and one of the worst score a mere 2 points apart. Expand
  24. Aug 21, 2013
    This show is not very good. If i didn't see Breaking Bad i wouldn't know how great of an actor Dean Norris is. Rachelle Lefevre is from Revolution and plays pretty much the same type of character she did in that show and its very generic so i have no idea how much she can bring to her work. All the other actors seemingly do their jobs as best they can with a really terrible script. The problem with "under the Dome" is not the ideas for the world they exist in or the relationships and character choices but how quickly the characters are forced to service the next plot point without really being affected by the last drama they just experienced. Its like the show is going through a checklist of moments they have to hit for drama's sake. So the result is a seemingly very stupid script that doesn't even hold as much logic as a night time soap like "Revenge". Its like a series of short video clips of characters dealing with a bunch of writer's ideas for drama inside this domed town.
    What they should have done (regardless of the book's plot points which i never read) is let the character's choices affect the characters and develop in the character's relationship to how they deal with a few simple choices. There are way way way too many crazy plot developments for each character and the story lines are abandoned by the writing by the end of two episodes. It's as if it all didn't matter because now we are on to the next thing. Its like its written by a twelve year old. This show makes me yell at the screen "really? you just did that and now your going to just move on as if it never happened?"
  25. Sep 2, 2013
    I'm a Stephen King fan and a sci-fi fan so I gave the show a good chance. I never read the book. I'm on episode 11 of season 1. Sadly I think I've gotten to the point where my curiosity about the dome no longer outweighs how badly I feel about the boring story, the dull characters, the poor acting, and the unimaginative writing. Under the Dome is bad television and I expect that if I force myself to finish watching it for the sake of finding out what the dome actually is, I'll probably be disappointed anyway. Expand
  26. Sep 3, 2013
    Apart from Rachelle Lefevre, Mike Vogel and Britt Robertson, this sow is laughable beyond measure. The dialogue is kindergarten grade and the directing is amateurish. The writing is probably the worst part of it but the cast is a close second with atrocious performances. Too bad there isn't any Razzie Awards for TV shows.
  27. Sep 16, 2013
    All characters are really bad. The history is really not interesting compared to the book. It's a real disaster.
    Why waste so much money on a so bad show ?
    Angie died at the beginning of SK's book, she should have died in this show as the actress doesn't know what to do here... they invented a script for her but it's really a low level one.
  28. Jul 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It’s a dome!!!?? DID they just call it a dome?? Were trapped in a dome!! That was a MAJOR plot line in the first two episodes. Glad the characters in the show had fun figuring that out but I found it painful to watch, and annoying at how it really would make a difference in the grand scheme of things; does the outside world have any less to worry about than whoever is trapped inside. There is an invisible force field thingy on earth. OMG DID HE JUST CALL IT A DOME? Awkward. If I was on the outside of the dome it’s not like I would just go back to eating my cheerios, it would have a global affect; but he called it a dome!! ok ill drop it.. What about Duke. Earth starts shaking your pace maker turns off, the cities power is cut, phones don’t work, TV and radio is down, and 4 people get shocked when they touch it, yet you still casually walk over to it and touch it. Pop goes the pacemaker and you’re dead. Derp. I love it when the officer at the bridge scene puts her hand to her ear like the reporters need to speak up, then motions to her neck like she can’t talk or answer their questions. Then she just throws her arms up exasperated as obviously there are no remaining forms of communication available to people separated by a see through barrier.. oh gawd... This reminds me of the tennis ball scene. This is a real gem, (throw like a girl much?haha) She’s getting angry that they don’t interpret her throwing a ball at the barrier over and over as her way of wanting to talk. That is how reporters get questions answered!! This show is so bad. So then she storms off to the radio tower obviously! And the timing that some things happen, like her arriving at the radio tower just in time to hear the transmission, which led to her epic broadcast that they are indeed trapped in a dome.. I won’t comment further; another perfect timing was right b4 the fire scene where the guy comes out of huge forest along a long stretch of road at the exact spot where two police cars meet. There are so many other bad plot lines and acting, I was getting excited when big Jim showed up with the tractor, but according to the bad writing simply breaking the house down was going to stop the fire which had already spread. I thought he was going to get ahead of the fire and rip up the dry grass or something like that. One last question, who refers to their fiancé as ‘that dog’ That dog told me I had to settle for Niagara Falls! Roll me over in a barrel. Wait one more, how did the reporter chick (who now is giving updates over the radio station) conclude that the dome isn’t radioactive?!?! Wtf? K last one, councilor drives in front of tractor, best tractor driver acting ever by the way, and I mean ever, yells stop. Tractor stops. Gets out of car, slowly pans out and yells to stop two more times. Tractor still not moving.. Then the two kids roll up on scientists who totally ignore them as they spray water on the dome, in the middle of nowhere as well might I add, and the kids still happen upon them just in time to figure out that the dome acts like a sieve. Oh wait last one I promise: The Lenny Cravitz look alike was listening to the army chatter the whole time and didn’t conclude that the military was just as confused about the dome as they were and that some other forces were at work… So many more..This show sucks Expand
  29. Jul 7, 2013
    Lame. Any scifi fan worth their salt can should be able to figure out where the dome came from in the first 20 minutes (or les). Except for the overall situation (being trapped under the dome), all the major scenes have been lifted directly from some other series. Examples: Charming accidental murderer being taken in by the victim's red-headed reporter wife. Too-good looking psycho boyfriend stalks waitress ex-girlfriend. Jeff Fahey in a beard. You get the idea. Expand
  30. Aug 5, 2013
    I have never read a Stephen King book and therefore when friends told me about the show I kept an open mind.
    7 episodes in and not much has happened its very boring and the long scenes seem to be padding out a very empty story. Shame as the idea is good in theory but I a not being entertained. So Im done with it now.

1. Reviewed by: Joanne Ostrow
    Jun 24, 2013
    Not only is it creepy, suspenseful and full of splendid special effects, veteran actors and fresh young faces, but it's laced with big thoughts about environmentalism and the future of the planet.
    You don't immediately sense how all of the characters are connected or how they might eventually become connected--most of the pilot is scene-setting and mood-building--but what's onscreen is compelling.
  3. Reviewed by: Willa Paskin
    Jun 24, 2013
    Based on just one episode, it’s hard to tell how the series will unfold, but the mood, threatening, uneasy, a little kinky, is there, and that just might be enough.