• Network: CBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Jun 24, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3
5.9

1. Aug 20, 2013
    One of the most difficult-to-watch train wrecks of a show I've had the misfortune of viewing in recent years. I feel badly for the actors; bad direction, terrible cliché writing, flat inconsistent characters even skilled actors would be set up for failure.

Breaking Bad: 74/100 Under the Dome: 72/100 clearly the "metascore" on here is quite meaningless if one of the best shows on television and one of the worst score a mere 2 points apart.
  2. Sep 3, 2013
    Apart from Rachelle Lefevre, Mike Vogel and Britt Robertson, this sow is laughable beyond measure. The dialogue is kindergarten grade and the directing is amateurish. The writing is probably the worst part of it but the cast is a close second with atrocious performances. Too bad there isn't any Razzie Awards for TV shows.
  3. Sep 2, 2013
    I'm a Stephen King fan and a sci-fi fan so I gave the show a good chance. I never read the book. I'm on episode 11 of season 1. Sadly I think I've gotten to the point where my curiosity about the dome no longer outweighs how badly I feel about the boring story, the dull characters, the poor acting, and the unimaginative writing. Under the Dome is bad television and I expect that if II'm a Stephen King fan and a sci-fi fan so I gave the show a good chance. I never read the book. I'm on episode 11 of season 1. Sadly I think I've gotten to the point where my curiosity about the dome no longer outweighs how badly I feel about the boring story, the dull characters, the poor acting, and the unimaginative writing. Under the Dome is bad television and I expect that if I force myself to finish watching it for the sake of finding out what the dome actually is, I'll probably be disappointed anyway. Expand
  4. Dec 28, 2013
    I was excited to see this show based but it ended up a huge disappointment and no better than Harper's Island (itself an atrocious TV serial). The characters in Under The Dome are paper thin to match the story. It is larded with cliche and contrived plot points, things like the following: Person A: "I wonder what the old sheriff was up to" Person B: "Well, he never walked around withoutI was excited to see this show based but it ended up a huge disappointment and no better than Harper's Island (itself an atrocious TV serial). The characters in Under The Dome are paper thin to match the story. It is larded with cliche and contrived plot points, things like the following: Person A: "I wonder what the old sheriff was up to" Person B: "Well, he never walked around without his hat." Person B then takes his hat from the coat rack and looks inside. "Hey, here's a key hidden in his brim." Person A: "I have one just like it, it opens a safety deposit box!" Person B: "Let's go!"
    I'm paraphrasing here, but not by much. This is just about the complexity of the story that runs throughout the entire series. I haven't even finished the final disc...I'm painstakingly making my way through the last few episodes.
    Another example is the town psycho is deputized after performing one nice deed. It makes absolutely no sense. The entire town knows he's a nutter! And there are so many contrived instances of drama, such as one of the police officer's pulling his gun on a crowd because he can't handle the pressure of the Dome. It makes absolutely zero sense, and there's no way a trained officer would crack like that. It's the type of shoe-horned drama that falls so flat it turns the desired moment laughable.
    There are also many "As you know Bob" moments, which is to say that a character says something that would never be said, but only to 'educate' the audience. An early example is how electronics stopped working and one character questions why his watch still works, and the female officer glances over at his watch and 2 seconds later says "I can see that watch is a windup...this must only effect battery operated devices" or some such nonsense that is telegraphed as information for the audience but in fact makes you feel like you're watching a teaching moment on par with Sesame Street.
    These ratings are certainly arbitrary. I gave it a 2. It could be a 1 or a 3 or some variant in-between. The point to bring home is it is very bad television.
    If you are a fan of mindlessly contrived auctioneers such as the aforementioned Harper's Island, or Prison Break, or 24 (though even 24 had some fun moments in the early seasons), then this would be right up your alley. But if you like smart television (the things you would see on HBO, AMC, Showtime), then this program is NOT for you.
    The fact that the critics have rated this a higher score than the users is, in fact, mind boggling. Normally I find that the critics have an eye for quality, at least more so than the masses. Here, inexplicably, the lower user score is the more reliable number (though still far too high, IMRO).
  5. Aug 10, 2013
    Had this followed Stephen King's book it would have been far better than what is being presented now. I gave the show a chance, and liked it at first, but the ongoing implausible and annoyingly inane characters and plot twists have caused me to disconnect. 1/2 way through Season 1 I learn CBS is renewing for 2nd season already. Jeez! I thought maybe I could get through thisHad this followed Stephen King's book it would have been far better than what is being presented now. I gave the show a chance, and liked it at first, but the ongoing implausible and annoyingly inane characters and plot twists have caused me to disconnect. 1/2 way through Season 1 I learn CBS is renewing for 2nd season already. Jeez! I thought maybe I could get through this stinker in 6 more episodes and wrap up this bad piece of fish, only to learn we are going to get served another helping. I think I am going to be sick, so I am stopping, pulling the plug, disconnecting and stop recording "Under the Dome". I can't waste anymore time on this. Have we not learned our lesson with "Lost"? Expand
  6. Aug 20, 2013
    How can Stephen King be a party to this disconnected, uninteresting series? I read the book and it was a real page-turner. This show is so far removed from the story in the book, that I don't even watch it anymore. There's going to be a season 2? That would be dragging it out far too long; but then it really isn't Under the Dome.. Very disappointed.
  7. Sep 16, 2013
    All characters are really bad. The history is really not interesting compared to the book. It's a real disaster.
    Why waste so much money on a so bad show ?
    Angie died at the beginning of SK's book, she should have died in this show as the actress doesn't know what to do here... they invented a script for her but it's really a low level one.
  8. Oct 2, 2013
    Watched it for whole 13 episodes and I must say I am very disappointed. There are two plus sides to this show:

1. The dome concept 2. CGI effects Other then that it is a ride downhill from every week, ending with a really stupid cliffhanger. If you think that acting is off, that script is strange and that some things and events do not make sense wait for last three episodes of

1. The dome concept
    2. CGI effects

Other then that it is a ride downhill from every week, ending with a really stupid cliffhanger. If you think that acting is off, that script is strange and that some things and events do not make sense wait for last three episodes of season one.

The show is ridden with B soap opera cliches and plot points. Did you see a movie or a show where somebody does something for a long time only to have the crucial thing randomly happens when major character just goes by to say hi? This seems to be a major tool for people writing this. Do you hate movies where people do not use obvious tools like using phone to call for help only so that such an act does not interfere with some weird plot twist? This TV Show will make you pull your hair out. Do you hate when characters have totally pathetic and meaningless exchanges like this one?
    A: "You have to follow his car"
    B: "Why"
    A: "Because it can be important for the future of the city"
    B: "OK"
    Then prepare yourself for quite a ride. Honestly I am so surprised that I managed to watch this until the last episode. That is the testament of a good idea and the setting that really hooked me up. This is also the reason why it has such a high score by critics who probably rated it after just seeing first episode. But in case you are a little bit more demanding after watching some pretty good shows please do yourself a favor and pass this one. You will save yourself from a disapointment.
  9. Aug 10, 2013
    As much as I wanted to enjoy this, with Jack Bender's directing credentials and being an adaptation of a Steven King novel, it does disappoint. Although some of the performances from the veteran actors were okay, the younger and inexperienced actors come off as cliched and 1 dimensional. Although I mentioned Jack Bender earlier, he did not direct the season premiere, which is unfortunateAs much as I wanted to enjoy this, with Jack Bender's directing credentials and being an adaptation of a Steven King novel, it does disappoint. Although some of the performances from the veteran actors were okay, the younger and inexperienced actors come off as cliched and 1 dimensional. Although I mentioned Jack Bender earlier, he did not direct the season premiere, which is unfortunate seeming as the directing was distinctly average. I also mentioned Steven King, whose adaptations usually result in stellar pieces of writing, here, it falls short. The special effects were also off and detracted from the overall experience. I barely finished the pilot episode and would recommend that you avoid this show. Expand
  10. Aug 20, 2013
    Started with an intriguing event, but keep trickling pieces of it only seconds every show, it has taken a kid I hate when the kid is the smart one and everybody else is a moron) about a week to even think of my first thought, minutes after the discovery of the dome, "a lab? a power plant or something at the centre but we are wasting time in an asylum. the ratio of nuts vs sane people isStarted with an intriguing event, but keep trickling pieces of it only seconds every show, it has taken a kid I hate when the kid is the smart one and everybody else is a moron) about a week to even think of my first thought, minutes after the discovery of the dome, "a lab? a power plant or something at the centre but we are wasting time in an asylum. the ratio of nuts vs sane people is annoying. Expand
  11. Aug 22, 2013
    I wanted to like this show... But like so many before it in this genre (Jericho, Revolution, Defiance, et al) it was a complete fail. Characters making irrational choices, forced uninspired and uninteresting crisis moments, trope after trope, one dimensional characters, HORRIBLE acting (even by historically good actors), poor CGI, and awful dialogue. The premise is the only potentiallyI wanted to like this show... But like so many before it in this genre (Jericho, Revolution, Defiance, et al) it was a complete fail. Characters making irrational choices, forced uninspired and uninteresting crisis moments, trope after trope, one dimensional characters, HORRIBLE acting (even by historically good actors), poor CGI, and awful dialogue. The premise is the only potentially exciting aspect of the show. How do these writers, directors, and producers get their jobs? Have they ever watched Game of Thrones or Walking Dead to see how it SHOULD be done? They would have done better giving a first year film class the project. Waste of time. So sad-- it's my favorite genre. Expand
  12. Aug 31, 2013
    Very disappointed that this turned out to be a melodramatic 'people are horrible when cut off from society' show, as opposed to a science fiction show. I thought it would be a loaded with surprizes, mystery, and great characters but in fact became predictable, barely about the mystery and I wasn't cheering for anyone. What kept me watching was that there was some really good acting, IVery disappointed that this turned out to be a melodramatic 'people are horrible when cut off from society' show, as opposed to a science fiction show. I thought it would be a loaded with surprizes, mystery, and great characters but in fact became predictable, barely about the mystery and I wasn't cheering for anyone. What kept me watching was that there was some really good acting, I thought both Britt Robertson (as Angie) and Alexander Koch (as the very disturbing Junior) were very good. I tried to keep it on my schedule, but decided to stop watching after Episode 6 because it just got too disturbing. Expand
  13. Sep 14, 2013
    I started out really excited about the show. Love the concept! But holy crap...the whole Big Jim killing spree has rendered me as dead as Dody! Cheesy acting from a guy who just came off a great Breaking Bad run. Unbearably slow dialog. The "tension" build ups are just plan boring. I want to know what the dome and egg are, but I can't stand another week of C rated soap opera plot.I started out really excited about the show. Love the concept! But holy crap...the whole Big Jim killing spree has rendered me as dead as Dody! Cheesy acting from a guy who just came off a great Breaking Bad run. Unbearably slow dialog. The "tension" build ups are just plan boring. I want to know what the dome and egg are, but I can't stand another week of C rated soap opera plot. Shame that so many great minds came together to put out such a flat product. Expand
  14. Sep 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was hoping this show would have more action. A lot of fake drama and buildup during the episodes. I could care less about the characters and the finale was dull... The finale, with the changing of the color of the dome and the revelation that the dome was created by some supernatural, or alien, force was boring and uninteresting. Who is the Monarch? What is the Monarch? Why do I care? I don't.

Should have stuck with a single season.
  15. Sep 16, 2013
    Show started off with potential then finished with the most disappointing and aggravating season finale i've ever witnessed. I give this show a 3/10 for wasting my time
  16. Sep 16, 2013
    I got addicted to Under the Dome because I had read the book, but mainly because I thought that the whole series would be complete this summer. I was very disappointed at the finale tonight. Apparently it will drag out through next summer too. The show is not good enough for me to waste my time watching the rest of it next summer. I predict that it won't even make it back on. It wouldI got addicted to Under the Dome because I had read the book, but mainly because I thought that the whole series would be complete this summer. I was very disappointed at the finale tonight. Apparently it will drag out through next summer too. The show is not good enough for me to waste my time watching the rest of it next summer. I predict that it won't even make it back on. It would have been a fun complete summer mini series. I'm done with it. Expand
  17. Sep 17, 2013
    I thought (at the beginning) that this was a good series. Now i am completely disappointed. We are at episode 13 of the first season. I just found out that this is only season one. Are you kidding me! In the book the time frame was a couple of weeks. They are milking this series to the max! And not doing a good job of it either. This series sucks!
  18. mam
    Sep 17, 2013
    Started out loving this show, it got stranger and stranger but still couldn't wait for each new show. The final episode was more than awful, it made no sense and was a waste of my time.
  19. Nov 17, 2013
    The show was very promising at the first two or three episodes, but went downhill on later episodes to the finale. It's just so ridiculous. The only good actor in the show is Mike Vogel. The rest of the cast are making the show looks like a comedy to me. A total mess.
  20. Dec 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Under the Dome seemed to have a fresh new idea but it has many flaws that made it just OK. Basically it means that the same drama have been seen thousands of times before but with a little twist.

First of all it is strange how one small town contains so many maniacs and lunatics. Not a single person seems to have any sense in their behavior. It's like people in this town have no conscious at all. They are just greedy bastards. And as it is with many TV-series with same genre, no one is able to solve conflicts by negotiating or talking. Problems are always solved by beating the crap out of someone or simply killing. And oh boy, this series does prefer killing as a viable solution to everything.

Of course there were the "good guys" but they also resolved everything with violence. And you would think that democracy existed but the opinion of common people is never asked for anything. They didn't even vote for any big decisions. No matter how bizarre the leaders were, people were always OK with everything. And this can be seen very clearly at the very end of the season finale.

How about the science fiction side then? Well, the idea was nice and there are many unopened questions for the next season too. However, I'm disappointed that the mystery of the dome was left as a kind of side note in the series. The insane drama gets the most attention. The mystery is of course pondered and such but I was hoping to see more interaction with the dome and deeper investigation of the mystery itself. Now puzzles are mostly solved by "I just know"- or "let's try"-type of thing.

So, in overall, this is just an OK TV-series.
  21. Mar 15, 2014
    The concept and idea behind the show is exciting and interesting which gave me high hopes for this show, but the writing is terrible and so is some of the acting. Some of the writing is so bad that I almost feel sorry for the people writing this dribble (why wast such a good idea?) and a few of the characters are so excruciating to watch that I don't know if I'll ever bother with seasonThe concept and idea behind the show is exciting and interesting which gave me high hopes for this show, but the writing is terrible and so is some of the acting. Some of the writing is so bad that I almost feel sorry for the people writing this dribble (why wast such a good idea?) and a few of the characters are so excruciating to watch that I don't know if I'll ever bother with season two. i'll just buy the book it's based on instead! Expand
  22. Aug 30, 2013
    There's not much sci-fi here except for the dome. Otherwise it's a poorly written, clichéd, and predictable melodrama that should be included in the same category as a soap opera. Where and when it's not clichéd, it is so politically correct as to nearly be a cliché. A Lost wannabe, and a washed down version at that. The characters are cardboard and unbelievable, and the drama feels forcedThere's not much sci-fi here except for the dome. Otherwise it's a poorly written, clichéd, and predictable melodrama that should be included in the same category as a soap opera. Where and when it's not clichéd, it is so politically correct as to nearly be a cliché. A Lost wannabe, and a washed down version at that. The characters are cardboard and unbelievable, and the drama feels forced so much so that the actions and thought processes of the characters are simply ridiculous, unbelievable, and very difficult to watch. Expand
  23. Sep 3, 2013
    Good sci-fi is very hard to come by. Whenever something new comes along, I get my hopes up. Considering that the "Under the Dome" TV series is based on Stephen King's novel, my hopes were high. Unfortunately, the quality of the show is not nearly as good as what I've come to expect from King's work.

Episode 1 was just good and unique enough to intrigue (cow scene was great), but after that, it has steadily gone downhill. As a show for thinking adults, much of the writing and acting is very flat, obvious, and painfully dumbed-down. As a show for older children, some subject matter might be inappropriate. It doesn't seem appropriate for any particular audience.

While I have not read the novel that its based on, I cannot imagine that the show gets its bad writing from there. I wish it was much better. Think I'll try the book.
  24. Sep 4, 2013
    I admit, there's a certain satisfaction in watching this series disintegrate over the last few months. The initial premise was more than interesting enough to make up for the deficiencies, but over time as essentially nothing happens to advance the plot--and it's taken 11 episodes to get 8 days into the story--you can no longer ignore the problems. I'm not on set, of course, but you haveI admit, there's a certain satisfaction in watching this series disintegrate over the last few months. The initial premise was more than interesting enough to make up for the deficiencies, but over time as essentially nothing happens to advance the plot--and it's taken 11 episodes to get 8 days into the story--you can no longer ignore the problems. I'm not on set, of course, but you have to lay blame at the feet of the director.

The worst problem is probably the wooden acting. Even the kids, for whom this could be a breakout performance, are so clearly phoning it in that it's laughable. But without any acting to distract you, the innumerable issues with the plot and continuity are just that much easier to notice. It's just full of fundamental logistical and environmental inconsistencies which you could ignore, except they supposedly play a role in the plot. Where is the water coming from? Why is the power still on? Remember the giant bomb? Were there no consequences? Aren't there like 5,000 people in this town? Where are they all? Do their toilets still flush?

It's a complete train wreck, almost unbearable to watch as it progresses.
  25. Sep 14, 2013
    Well, it started dubiously, but with Stephen King source material, there was a little hope for a good series.

8 episodes in, it has descended into the worst kind of fickle, soapy melodrama you could imagine. We are past car crash TV now, and I want those 8 hours back. Quite how Spielberg allows his name to feature in the credits is beyond me. If I was him I would kill the project and issue a public apology. Seriously, this makes Falling Skies look like BSG, which as we all know, it isn't... Give this a miss for your own sanity.
  26. Sep 14, 2013
    The premise of the show, being locked under an invulnerable dome, is pretty cool. Unfortunately the show is just kinda dumb after that... the scripted dialogue ranges from generic to awful; the characters are pantomimes, you know exactly whether they're good or bad right up front, and the show lacks any sort of organic development or growth, you just don't get into it like you would on aThe premise of the show, being locked under an invulnerable dome, is pretty cool. Unfortunately the show is just kinda dumb after that... the scripted dialogue ranges from generic to awful; the characters are pantomimes, you know exactly whether they're good or bad right up front, and the show lacks any sort of organic development or growth, you just don't get into it like you would on a better created and wriiten show.everything is so predictable that by the time big jim kills his nth person it's just sort of "meh whatever" time. The actors are fine, im sure they must be desperatre for better dialogue and it sort of shows at times, the cast seems to mail it in in the more recent episodes. havent completely given up on the showas I can think of innumerable examples of shows that get much better once the creators and actors settle in, but a serious overhaul is in order. Frankly the deepest character is the dome itself. Expand
  27. May 4, 2014
    First of all: I think Steven Spielberg is not always great. For my taste, most of Spielberg 's family stuff. His tendency to put children and young people make to the forefront of almost all children's programs. As is true of Cowboys vs. Aliens , Real Steel , ... Third Child tec. If it's not funny is that it is eternal whining , drama, whining , drama ... etc. He makes blockbusters for theFirst of all: I think Steven Spielberg is not always great. For my taste, most of Spielberg 's family stuff. His tendency to put children and young people make to the forefront of almost all children's programs. As is true of Cowboys vs. Aliens , Real Steel , ... Third Child tec. If it's not funny is that it is eternal whining , drama, whining , drama ... etc. He makes blockbusters for the mainstream. But those were also the Waltons and Little House on the Prairie and just like this , most of Spielberg a vale of tears and glop from soppiness .

Steven King is also not a great writer in the sense of literature. But success in terms of spirit of the age . Filmizations more B-movies ( maybe excludet Shining and Misery ), but he is probably a member of the Hollywood club.

Nevertheless, I expected in Tension " Under the Dome " in Germany and yesterday I watched all the episodes of the first season. It started not bad. But minimalism was noticed already . Poor or immature GFX / VFX . A half a cow only in the formation of the dome, extremely unspectacular, here one would have liked a little more devotion, a Demonstartion a force of nature, a spectacle. Even here a wasted potenial ! Even later, the butterflies are poorly made. But actually typical Spielberg. Should that be " spielberg cuteness " when a bad- made ​​butterfly unrealistic totter through the image , or inability of the special effects team? Then you should start looking for much better amateurs in the field of Blender 3D . This is generally meant for the special effects.

Maybe it is all so in the book by King, no idea, i did not read ( never read King, except " the Mist " short story) , but for a movie / series at the present time (American Horror Story , Salem, Breaking Bad , SoA etc. ) effeminate and out of place. Overall, I find the serial character and also immature and too quickly dealt with . One could list many details of the superficiality here. The more episodes the more it is likely a soap.

J. J. Abrams is also not good for everything. But the implementation would certainly become mystical and exciting. Or Lindelof. Apparently it can but some men do their "producer / editor-experiments" to continue. They love each other and is very very great friend. Under the Dome is a good example of such Hollywood "incest". In the main, you have done something together, squandered millions as others (ordinary people) cook or bake together on Fridays. So it makes it seem.

Would " Hank " not there ( Dean Norris ), I would not have looked further from the 7 episode.

I am very disappointed on the one hand . On the other hand , it is still typical. Spielberg was in his time the opponent by Carpenter ( Hollywood Goodboy vs. Hollywood Badboy. Had his own right to life in the eighties. But today? Only tearjerker!). In the eighties! Spielberg may still be a crowd-pleaser, I find it boring. ( Did I ever ). It has not changed . He reached it, to turn a good idea into a great sappy mass product.

Pity!

Whether I look at the next season? I do not know. Maybe it's because other brilliant series just have a break.
  28. Aug 11, 2014
    I don't even know where to begin with this absolute train wreck. The dialogue is awful, the pacing is off, the acting is at the best of times bad, at the worst of times I would liken it to a 3rd grade play where the kids were given no time to rehearse.

My roommate is obsessed with this show and I've been forced to sit through several episodes of the second season. Now, everybody loves plot twists. Everybody enjoys being thrown tat curve-ball that makes think. The thing is, at some point, the plot twists actually have to start MAKING SENSE. Much like the disjointed **** that was "Lost", "Under the Dome"s writers seem to just sit around in a circle throwing out random ideas. You know what would be cool? Nuclear butterflies! Oh! And psychic visions! And religious zealots! And genetic pathogens! And a dead girl from 1985! And a mysterious chasm under the school that sends you back in time! AND! AND! AND...etc, etc.

It wouldn't be so bad if there was some kind of line drawn between any of this nonsense. There isn't as far as I can tell. Just a group of hack writers with a fistful of crayons and a nice fat paycheck.

After all the critics raved about this show all last year, I thought I was missing something great. This is bar none the worst show I have seen in a number of years. Awful, just awful, it's the television equivalent of a hydrochloric acid enema.
  29. Sep 17, 2014
    This show is so bad, So so bad. I kept thinking it would get better. But after watching the 2nd to last show in season 2 I am speechless at how badly written and clunky and the acting is. It is not even laugh at bad, it is grimace bad.
  30. Aug 18, 2014
    This show really sucks. The characters are very annoying. Why would a journalist be in charge of a town? Why does a town even need a leader in the first place? Most characters have ridiculous dialog. The story kind of sucks too. I am only watching this show in hopes of seeing some aliens that will destroy Chester's Mill.

1. Reviewed by: Joanne Ostrow
    Jun 24, 2013
    Not only is it creepy, suspenseful and full of splendid special effects, veteran actors and fresh young faces, but it's laced with big thoughts about environmentalism and the future of the planet.
    You don't immediately sense how all of the characters are connected or how they might eventually become connected--most of the pilot is scene-setting and mood-building--but what's onscreen is compelling.
  3. Reviewed by: Willa Paskin
    Jun 24, 2013
    Based on just one episode, it’s hard to tell how the series will unfold, but the mood, threatening, uneasy, a little kinky, is there, and that just might be enough.