• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 14, 2011
  • Season #: 1 , 2
6.6

1. Sep 30, 2011
    Really, really, funny! Great cast and great writing! The plot is a little rough but it will get better. It's not as good as Parks and Recreation (the best show onTV) but I still make time to watch this one.
  2. Sep 15, 2011
    Not bad, but they gotta reduce screen time for the annoying Maya Rudolph character. This show is trying too hard; just focus on the couple. Will Arnett is excellent.
  3. Sep 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Facing your first little old lady that wanted to talk to the baby was hilarious. I felt his fear. I will be back to watch. Balances old life and new life very well. Expand
  4. Sep 25, 2011
    Maybe it's my mood but it's hard to like characters who are full fledged adults, well past their twenties who lie that fast, that often and for high school reasons. It's okay for secondary or tertiary characters to do that, but not the main characters. I know L.A. people can be that way so It probably feels real to the creatives, but it's not cute or endearing.
    Nobody is supposed to
    still be that awkward at that age. They really really like their neighbors because of their looks, and then they immediately call the cops on the party they were invited to? What are we supposed to be rooting for them to win at? The Shallow-lympics? I think they're supposed to be confused about parenting, not about everything in life. I give it 4/10 for the talent assembled, but I think it's already too late to turn things around.

(Full disclosure; I don't find anything interesting about babies. Even if I had my own, I wouldn't want to hear about anybody else's. But that's me.)
  5. Sep 17, 2011
    Bleh. A few cute moments, but a lot of bits that just didn't work. Will Arnett's probably the best thing about this show. But once again, he seems to have found himself on a show that's not really worthy of him. But hope springs eternal, so I'll probably give it one more episode to see if the writer's can find their groove. If not, I'll be done with this one.
  6. Sep 28, 2011
    Although the show now isn't fantastic, I firmly believe it has huge potential. The cast is brilliant and the chemistry between Applegate and Arnett is great; they just need to find Rudolph's place in the whole picture, because now she feels tacked on. With more consistently solid writing and better placement for the characters, this could end up being a great show.
  7. Sep 20, 2011
    What was that?! Where was I supposed to laugh?! Please somebody tickle me, for NBCâ
  8. Sep 21, 2011
    I've always really liked Will Arnett but it seems he doesn't get any traction other than in Arrested Development. I didn't care for Christina Applegate when she was young but I really like the new stuff she's done including this show.

This is one of the few new shows that actually gets me to smile. I will continue to watch it.
  9. Oct 9, 2011
    I'm not sure how to judge this show in it's infancy. The second episode has been the best so far, so it's pretty much been a roller coaster. Will Arnett is by far the best part of this show with Applegate doing just enough to be enjoyable. Maya Rudolph's character is super lame and goofy. There isn't much on network television besides Modern Family and unfortunately that show sets a very high bar. Collapse
  10. Sep 17, 2011
    Very disappointed in the pilot. Maya Rudolph - too over the top. Will Arnett - usually funny, bland here, seems lost. Christina Applegate isn't much of an actress. and this proves it. But worst was the script - just not funny. Premise seems dated - daddy stays at home to care for the baby. Wife works in TV production - so not the real world. One of the running jokes is that the parents say **** and **** a lot around the baby, which of course gets beeped, and then they say, "we have to stop talking like this around the baby." Once would have been fine, but they keep doing it over and over. Expand
  11. Sep 19, 2011
    A pretty decent new show. Trying to break new ground can be tough when there really isn't a base to go on. Shows like Modern Family and Big Bang Theory made it through their first seasons relying on some kind of crutch. It's tough to get people hooked on a show using only solid writing and premise without any flash value. Christina Applegate will do a great job creating some depth as the lead and Will Arnett will always be funny, it will take a team of cracked out monkeys to make him not funny. One thing that could kill the show is Maya Rudolph's character, she is a bit over the top but I have a feeling that Lorne Michaels knows how far to take such a character. If Up All Night can maintain the level it had in the pilot it should offer some pretty good laughs and will make it's way onto my roster for this year. But what do I know, I stopped watching Game of Thrones after two episodes. Expand
  12. Sep 15, 2011
    This is by no means the funniest show on TV, but it has laid out some good ground to become one of NBC's better comedies. The performances of Applegate and Arnett as a married couple is brilliant and extremely believable. Maya Rudolph will most likely gain scene-stealer status if the writers decide to use her well and give her good material. I will continue watching.
  13. Sep 17, 2011
    Boring & Unfunny 'pilot' that i have ever seen in my life ! & the plot is so weak and it wont go anywhere ! They need to make it funny with a perfect script . If not there's a good chance that it will be canceled .
  14. Sep 21, 2011
    This show started fail and ended fail with a few brief moments of what resembled a sitcom in the middle. The jokes were beaten to death over the course of the episode, each being repeated 2 or 3 times and not that funny to begin with. The premise of the show is two unfit parents attempting to raise a child and break their old partying ways. Which works well, if they don't know the kid is coming. However, having had 9+ months to get into fit parent shape, I was left scratching my head and cursing the weak premise and building of the story. After that, the show just gets weird. Strange cinematography and some weird plot lines that develop that have nothing to do with the show. If you can fight through all that, you are treated to about 8 minutes of decent show with repeated jokes framed in such a way that they're kind of funny. Then, the show takes another nose dive just to remind the audience that these parents are still not fit.

Honestly, I think I'll sit this one out. Try Harder!
  15. Sep 21, 2011
    This is very unfunny. Maya Rudolf is so annoying. They need to get rid of her and focus on the cute relationship between the two central characters. Stop trying to make them into people I wouldn't want to know, like the people they are trying so hard to be.
  16. Sep 22, 2011
    Me and my friend were doing something else by minute 10. We decided to eat chips instead and didn't even bother to finish the episode. With a strong show such as Raising Hope against Up All Night in the We're-not-sure-how-to-raise-a-kid genre, All Night is missing the mark by *miles*. With a strong cast, it would've been virtually impossible to miss but they did. The comedy was annoying (take the couple fight in bed as an example) and we didn't even laugh. The story didn't necessarily drag but with such a tired storyline, it indirectly did. I don't think the second episode will be good enough to redeem the pilot. Expand
  17. Sep 27, 2011
    One of the better new sitcoms, has potential, Christina Applegate´s character is very lovable, the chemistry between the two main characters is good. There is some work to be done but the pilot has won me over!
  18. Nov 1, 2011
    I had this down as being a great show before the start of the series, but it can't keep my attention. The jokes are tired and predictable. I'm sure both Christina Applegate and Will Arnett had better offers on the table.
  19. Dec 7, 2011
    one of the worse shows on this season. How many times a week do they need to show such crap. Nothing like pushing pushing crap down our throats. I know that TV shows are have slowly deteriorated over the last few years, but this one has really hit the bottom of the barrel.
  20. Dec 15, 2011
    This show is not as good as I wish it was... but I have faith that it will get better as it settles into its first season. The whole cast is superb but Maya Rudolph is the reason I watch the show.
  21. Feb 29, 2012
    The parents can be quite funny and should be the only main characters, but for some reason EVA is too. Eva need to die, shes annoying, not funny and drags the show down.
  22. Oct 18, 2012
    i found two episode funny but rest of it i just did not get into it christina applegate was my favorite actress in married with children as kelly but none less if show would get better i watch it guess that why australia has not air this show
  23. Jun 13, 2012
    A funny, sweet and light story that most people can relate to it. Just by watching it until the last episode makes you feel more engrossed to the show and I really loved it. Ava-Kevin loveteam is pretty much interesting too. Hoping for season 2. :)
  24. Nov 22, 2012
    They bumped Community for this P.O.S. family show. Don't we already have a tons of those shows on tv. Super unoriginal, I expected at least a little comedy from a Will Arnett show....
  25. Apr 11, 2013
    NBC's hit series "Up All Night," which has been nominated for several awards (including Satellite Awards and The People's Choice Awards), has unfortunately been on hold and rumored to be cancelled due to a conflict of interest with their producer and lead actress Christina Applegate. This show been one of the funniest TV series recently aired, which is why it is undeniably worthy of a review.
    The lead character Reagan, played by Christina Applegate in “Up All Night,” has imitated the image of an overwhelmed, incredibly attractive mother struggling with several humorous responsibilities from the lead actress Jules played by Courtney Cox's in ABC's "Cougar Town”. Reagan's authentic performance resonates comfortably to the viewers with a lovable, quirky behavior. Jules, however, over-acts into a flimsy character that is unconvincing and almost embarrassing to watch. Aside from the clear distinctive acting styles from these two leading characters, the scoring throughout the episodes of "Cougar Town," is annoyingly unnecessary while "Up All Night," applies a minimal musical frame of reference that synchronizes as needed while enhancing each character's dialogue and body language. Nevertheless, the reason behind the success of "Cougar Town," is due to its popular topic in today's pop-culture trends. Why are older women dating much younger men? Even though Jules mechanically reads her script with an exaggerated hyper-active tone, this series still delivers its ratings due to its theme that has been leaving people curious for many years. Either Courtney Cox is rushing to use the washroom in certain scenes, or she truly does not embrace her character genuinely.
    The only blatant colorless writing in “Up All Night,” is the repetitive indecisive actions of Reagan and her husband Chris (played by Will Arnett) before its opening theme or during the show. It was cute at first, but eventually magnifies into an irritating motif. Nevertheless, many faithful viewers of “Up All Night,” are still hoping that this hilarious sitcom returns to NBC.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Sep 27, 2011
    Up All Night is adorable without being cute. [3 Oct 2011, p.41]
  2. What Up All Night has over other baby-rearing shows is a refreshing irreverence.
  3. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    Sep 14, 2011
    Though the Up All Night pilot falls short of great hilarity, the series demonstrates considerable potential.