V : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Nov 3, 2009
Season #: 1, 2
6.5

1. Dec 23, 2012
    When I saw the first episode on TV I thought it was a movie. It's a great series (of the best and seen). Too bad they canceled the third season.
  2. Oct 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sigh, another Sci-Fi series that was cancelled prematurely just as it was starting to get good. The first season and first half of the second season where interesting but the plot was kind of predictable, at least if you had watched the original V series in the 80s, if not maybe it might have had a bit more shock value. I think it needed a great lead-in miniseries like in 1984's V: The Final Battle to get people more hooked from the start. This show touched on current day politics such as the dangers of blind devotion to a political leader: Anna, the Leader of the V's hair is modeled after Obama's hair and the first episode of the re-images series aired on the one-year anniversary of Obama's election, Anna wants to give "Universal Healthcare" to the world, etc.. It also touches on contemporary conspiracy theories about Flu Vaccinations when the V's attempt to kill off humanity by putting poison into the flu vaccines Anna also wants to censor the news about the Vs. I believe the show just puts these things in to make you think however, I didn't get the impression that it was a direct criticism of Obama or any particular politician in particular, but rather a general warning about putting too much trust into any politician or news cast you watch. I would give the first 1 1/2 seasons 7 because, like I said the plot was kind of predictable which would make me give it a 6, but I liked the subtle commentary the show has on current politics so it gets an extra point. The second half of the second season was however, less predictable and more daring. I suspect if ABC did not cancel it that season 3 would have been the best one yet. I am rating this with the knowledge that ABC cancelled the show mid-season 10/13 episodes and did not allow its producers to create an episode to resolve what seemed to be a season cliff-hanger at the end. What a bunch of jerks the television network was to do that, at least when Caprica, Star Trek Enterprise, etc., were cancelled they were allowed to have a farewell episode to tie up loose ends. So we'll never know how the humans got out of that mess, unless we just assume Anna won and humanity was doomed... But I'm giving it an 8 because the second half of the second season was at least that, possibly even a 9. And not its time to go re-watch the original series again so I can rate that one too... Expand
  3. Jun 22, 2011
    Amazing show. Compared to recent crap that has come out. I want this back! The computer animation is spot on (compared to new shows like Falling Skies), the acting is way beter overall. Characters like Morena Baccarin, and Morris Chestnut make it all worth the watch (no body is terrible like on a Sci Fi show, The Event, or Falling Skies). Another great part about this series is that theAmazing show. Compared to recent crap that has come out. I want this back! The computer animation is spot on (compared to new shows like Falling Skies), the acting is way beter overall. Characters like Morena Baccarin, and Morris Chestnut make it all worth the watch (no body is terrible like on a Sci Fi show, The Event, or Falling Skies). Another great part about this series is that the directing is very up to date with filming and executing suspense scenes. It get's very suspenseful when characters break in to the ship.

The best part about the V script is it is one of the most logical sci-fi scripts ever. It makes the most sense. If an Alien race wanted to destroy us, the best way would to trick us by healing and suck us in. Not wage war.

It's sad that this failed, and it failed for one reason. It was a remake. And an older audience obviously attacked this, like they would any series for not being perfectly like the original. This is one of the best shows in the last 5 years. It blows away any Sci Fi show and is better than a lot of crappy sci-fi movies.
  4. Oct 14, 2010
    I came across this show only a few weeks ago, looking for something to keep me company on planes and trains and have run through the first season since then. I remembered the original series, but none of the plot lines, just the general premise. In all honesty, I might not have bothered had it not been for Elisabeth Mitchell in the cast, by far my most favorite Lost actress. I figured thisI came across this show only a few weeks ago, looking for something to keep me company on planes and trains and have run through the first season since then. I remembered the original series, but none of the plot lines, just the general premise. In all honesty, I might not have bothered had it not been for Elisabeth Mitchell in the cast, by far my most favorite Lost actress. I figured this couldn't be bad.

And you know what, it isn't. Not at all in fact, although it's not likely to convince anyone that's not at least a bit into sci-fi already. An intrinsic and permanent impediment to the genre, seemingly. Yes, the pilot advanced quickly and along somewhat predictable tracks, but no that wasn't a bad thing. The makers would not have pulled off a 3 episode span covering only the arrival of the visitors. It needed to move along because we all knew where the story needed be, before it could begin. I agree that not all performances may have been up to par, but enough of them were. The characters developed well and the lesser performances turned out the be for characters that ended up being killed off. Always a good sign if a show dares to do that. Anyone that's made it to the season finale will admit that the performances by then were fine. I think some of the cast needed to come to terms with virtual sets, shot against blue or green-screen. That obstacle should be out of the way for S2.

But the show does need to watch out for sloppiness in the renditions of the CG sets when overlaying the live action on to them. We don't watch CRT TVs anymore, and CGI oddities are visible in all their definition. Lighting in the environment doesn't always match the character's lighting conditions when walking through hallways or corridors. Shadows are forgotten, differences in saturation levels, over-cropped live footage makes arms and legs go very narrow against their backdrop, etc.. . This doesn't kill the show but it does kill off the illusion, and that's a shame. I hope the rendering department has sharpened their tools for season two and that they have also come up with somewhat more complexity in the virtual sets, because the lack of set detail (e.g. on board the ships) makes it extra hard on the actors if their face is the only thing carrying the shot.

So would I recommend it? Yes
    Do I look forward to the next season? Sure, bring it on!
  5. RobH
    Nov 29, 2009
    After a pilot which was a bit rushed this has settled down into an entertaining story with a strong arc and characters that are growing with each week. Much stronger than most sci-fi on at the moment, hoping this is my replacement for Battlestar with some good reflections on modern life.
  6. JohnE
    Nov 13, 2009
    Was a big fan of the original series, not sure if that was cause I was 11 at the time however. Re-watching it was nostalgic to say the least. I think the pilot started out well but episode 2 wasn't great. Couple of things annoy me however. One of the aliens is "in love" with a human. Not very realistic, I don't find myself lusting after iguanas, so I see the reverse as highly Was a big fan of the original series, not sure if that was cause I was 11 at the time however. Re-watching it was nostalgic to say the least. I think the pilot started out well but episode 2 wasn't great. Couple of things annoy me however. One of the aliens is "in love" with a human. Not very realistic, I don't find myself lusting after iguanas, so I see the reverse as highly implausible. In the original series the "star child" 1/2 human 1/2 alien was the result of an experiment. The other point is the reference to the V's for visitors. V is supposed to be for Victory. Graffiti of V in the original was to vandalize the aliens propaganda posters. Now it's for spreading the message of the V's . Minor point I know but it irritates me. Anyway I'll give it a chance, it needs to pick up though. Expand
  7. Paul
    Nov 12, 2009
    Decent start. Doesn't suffer from the problem the first show had. That is, the first was like a lot of sci-fi - a good idea sunk by a low budget. This one, obviously, has the production values. The original also suffered from another sci-fi killer: a lack of vision for what direction there were going. Hopefully, these writers have some vision and don't do the standard X-Files Decent start. Doesn't suffer from the problem the first show had. That is, the first was like a lot of sci-fi - a good idea sunk by a low budget. This one, obviously, has the production values. The original also suffered from another sci-fi killer: a lack of vision for what direction there were going. Hopefully, these writers have some vision and don't do the standard X-Files cheat of questions without answers simply because the writers were too lazy to come up with some answers. I.E... "The Lost Syndrome". However, they better get off to a good start, since the third problem that kills even good sci-fi is that, if you spend the money to make it look good, it becomes so expensive that the networks will drop it if it doesn't get decent ratings early. Expand
  8. M.Riley
    Nov 10, 2009
    Interesting sci-fi remake that immediately establishes its own identity without betraying the original series. I can't wait to see more!
  9. LenaA
    Nov 10, 2009
    The show looks promising. Very good effects, good acting and action. I like that the episode didn't drag but it kept my interest the whole time
  10. GeneR.
    Nov 8, 2009
    Pilot had a strong start, but kind of fell apart in the last 10 minutes. Main characters accepted what should have been shocking information a little too eagerly and I feel that too much was given away in the first episode. Would have been better as a two or three part pilot, but engaging enough to keep an eye on to see if it gets better.
  11. SteF.
    Nov 8, 2009
    I wouldn't say it was better or worse than the original series. Both have there moments of cheeziness. But I am a fan and i'll keep watching. The reviewers that say this sucks compared to the old series can go back and live in the 80's morons...goodbye.
  12. SteveF
    Nov 8, 2009
    I'll keep watching the series. I love the chick from 'Lost' and I've been a fan of the 80's series and watched it a few times.
  13. JockS
    Nov 8, 2009
    Brill...can't wait to see their real faces!
  14. John
    Nov 8, 2009
    The first episode was way too rushed, but it was captivating. I don't agree with people saying the acting was bad. It wasn't. And James R. I can't believe you sad the effects were sub par...the show has the best TV effects Ive seen in a long time. I'll keep watching because it looks good, but it did give away too much in the first episode.
  15. DanH
    Nov 8, 2009
    Obviously not for the lesser intelligent. So, to everyone who doesn't get i..; when watching this show, replace their references of V with the word Government, and you've got a straight arrow of what's going on in the world today. Genius show. Also for the dummies, research the term "Project Bluebeam" and prepare to be blown away.
  16. SebashtinV
    Nov 8, 2009
    As far as a pilot episode is concerned V started out great. The pace could have been taken down a notch or 2, but this is 2009, not 1983, and in order to catch anyone's attention in this day and age a fast pace is what is expected and necessary. For the die hard fans of the original version like myself there are many things that I miss including the orange outfits and one of the best As far as a pilot episode is concerned V started out great. The pace could have been taken down a notch or 2, but this is 2009, not 1983, and in order to catch anyone's attention in this day and age a fast pace is what is expected and necessary. For the die hard fans of the original version like myself there are many things that I miss including the orange outfits and one of the best television villains of all time, Diana, but things change. For the critics giving it a "0" just ignore them. They are obviously trapped in the early 80's along with their mullets and televisions with the rabbit ears on top. V deserves a chance!!! Watch it! Expand
  17. NoelL
    Nov 8, 2009
    We sure miss Diana's character but let's give it some time.
  18. CMan
    Nov 7, 2009
    Greatest TV show to be on in a while.
  19. JsonF
    Nov 7, 2009
    It is just beyond obvious why some people's hostility towards this show is so great. They are afraid of how it exposes them and their "devoted" leader of US into just a mass delusion of cultish movement. The show had an excellent start. I see some short comings in introducing some parts of plot coherently though. Actings are above average.
  20. TravisS
    Nov 7, 2009
    As a huge fan of the original, I enjoyed the pilot episode very much. It does seem like they have revealed most of the mysteries early on in the series, but if we can expect some new revelations, I'm sure that I will enjoy the rest of the show as much as I enjoyed the first episode. Overall, the first episode of V was exciting, revealing, and disturbing. This is the perfect story As a huge fan of the original, I enjoyed the pilot episode very much. It does seem like they have revealed most of the mysteries early on in the series, but if we can expect some new revelations, I'm sure that I will enjoy the rest of the show as much as I enjoyed the first episode. Overall, the first episode of V was exciting, revealing, and disturbing. This is the perfect story told at the perfect time. Expand
  21. JamesS
    Nov 6, 2009
    The first episode shows promise for the series, although, as usual, the only characters I can really get into are the villains. I hope that V 2009 has a few surprises for those who have watched the 1983 V more than once. How about a couple of other alien races that don't look like us?
  22. IanD
    Nov 6, 2009
    I think people forget how campy the original was. This new premier was a great hour of tv.
  23. JoeS
    Nov 6, 2009
    If they tie in or bring some of the old characters in like Diana would be a nice flavor which gets my ten, she is an awesome actress.
  24. DonutShirley
    Nov 6, 2009
    It was alright. things seem to be moving too fast, making the story too difficult to follow sometimes. it seems that they're trying to get through the intro and to the good stuff, but leaves viewers confused in it's wake.
  25. toman
    Nov 4, 2009
    The show started very well. The acting, camera work and effects are good. The storyline is also good so far. The creaters managed to introduce the major elements of the story in the first episode. It was a to the point episode. This is important because many shows with twice the time slot do not achieve the same result.
  26. ChristianC.
    Nov 4, 2009
    I was very skeptical being a "devoted" fan of the original. Pace was way to fast but left me hanging on the edge of my seat wanting more. ABC has a winner and V is back!
  27. Sari
    Nov 4, 2009
    Although it is not bad by any means, I can only call it faintly promising at best. I loved the original miniseries and the final battle (the weekly series I choose to ignore) and even though I know this is or at least is supposed to be an independent homage to it, it's not different or similar enough to be either way. Also, it wasn't as tightly written as it should have been and Although it is not bad by any means, I can only call it faintly promising at best. I loved the original miniseries and the final battle (the weekly series I choose to ignore) and even though I know this is or at least is supposed to be an independent homage to it, it's not different or similar enough to be either way. Also, it wasn't as tightly written as it should have been and didn't pack the same punch as the original first episode. Expand
  28. fredrikt
    Nov 3, 2009
    I was a big big fan of the original series and only just heard of this. I will definitely be watching again next week!
  29. JohnK.
    Nov 3, 2009
    Compelling storytelling, strong social commentary and a biting criticism of the current state of affairs - great stuff!!
  30. PeterC
    Great pilot!
  31. JadeInTheATL
    Nov 3, 2009
    After watching one of the episodes from the original 80's series on syfy last week I'm thinking "Did I really watch something this cheesy back in the day?" I think the update manages to leave most of the cheese behind and incorporate some contemporary resonance. From the subversion of the press, willing or unwilling, to the idea of a failing world in need of a savior, After watching one of the episodes from the original 80's series on syfy last week I'm thinking "Did I really watch something this cheesy back in the day?" I think the update manages to leave most of the cheese behind and incorporate some contemporary resonance. From the subversion of the press, willing or unwilling, to the idea of a failing world in need of a savior, there's some stuff to explore and discover about ourselves while we get up from the mat to kick alien butt like Rocky. That is, should ABC manage to stick to their guns. I look forward to seeing more, though the disintegration of Flashforward demonstrates that strong beginnings mean little on Television. I give it only an 8 because the in-your-face, let me spell it out for you writing so prevalent in Network fare was glaring even in the first installment. Little subtlety here. Reference Torchwood: Children of Earth for a similar story that manages not to insult your intelligence by belaboring every point. So, though it could be better written, it delivers more than I expected. And besides, it's good to see a couple of Firefly alum so prominently displayed. Expand
  32. stevep
    Nov 3, 2009
    Just seen the pilot ....it was great.

No gold mine of symbolism is worth a damn when the show itself doesn’t have good old storytelling mojo behind it. And, based on the premiere, V has enough narrative drive and character definition to pull viewers into the creepy suspense of its dystopian world.
    Judging by the first episode, V seems like a solid adaptation.
  3. As an adventure series bristling with ideas, it's V+. Or as we grade 'em on Earth: B+