• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Nov 3, 2009
  • Season #: 1 , 2
6.5

1. Aug 8, 2011
    this show features a lot of claustrophobic cgi-caged greenroom-filmed scenes. doesn't even try to get a match to the 1984 mini series original props. the artwork is quite decent, which may be necessary not to get in the viewer's face too much. actors faces are actually hd compatible. writing and plot line are unpleasantly bad. filming has a more conservative approach.
  2. Jun 30, 2012
    Just saw this show for the first time, but if I'd seen it when it premiered, I could have predicted it's cancellation. Two words - Premature Sitcomulation. Blew it's load on in the pilot. If the show would have had better writers, they could have stretched the pilot itself into the whole first season, or at least into more than one show. No mystery left after pilot, I was done and not even satisfied enough for a smoke. Expand
  3. Aug 12, 2010
    I never saw the original of V, being born in 1983 when it was released, but I found V Season 1 to be quite compelling viewing. It had cringe worthy 'so bad, it's good' moments, but on the whole I found myself looking forward to sitting down to watch it every week. Many questions were left unanswered, such as:
    - Where do the visitors come from?
    - What do they want? Surely with the advanced
    technology they have, they could want nothing from us.
    - Why do they call each other Visitors?

If the writers were planning a second season all along then perhaps these questions will be answered later on.
  4. Jun 22, 2011
    Amazing show. Compared to recent crap that has come out. I want this back! The computer animation is spot on (compared to new shows like Falling Skies), the acting is way beter overall. Characters like Morena Baccarin, and Morris Chestnut make it all worth the watch (no body is terrible like on a Sci Fi show, The Event, or Falling Skies). Another great part about this series is that the directing is very up to date with filming and executing suspense scenes. It get's very suspenseful when characters break in to the ship.

The best part about the V script is it is one of the most logical sci-fi scripts ever. It makes the most sense. If an Alien race wanted to destroy us, the best way would to trick us by healing and suck us in. Not wage war.

It's sad that this failed, and it failed for one reason. It was a remake. And an older audience obviously attacked this, like they would any series for not being perfectly like the original. This is one of the best shows in the last 5 years. It blows away any Sci Fi show and is better than a lot of crappy sci-fi movies.
  5. Oct 14, 2010
    I came across this show only a few weeks ago, looking for something to keep me company on planes and trains and have run through the first season since then. I remembered the original series, but none of the plot lines, just the general premise. In all honesty, I might not have bothered had it not been for Elisabeth Mitchell in the cast, by far my most favorite Lost actress. I figured this couldn't be bad.

And you know what, it isn't. Not at all in fact, although it's not likely to convince anyone that's not at least a bit into sci-fi already. An intrinsic and permanent impediment to the genre, seemingly. Yes, the pilot advanced quickly and along somewhat predictable tracks, but no that wasn't a bad thing. The makers would not have pulled off a 3 episode span covering only the arrival of the visitors. It needed to move along because we all knew where the story needed be, before it could begin. I agree that not all performances may have been up to par, but enough of them were. The characters developed well and the lesser performances turned out the be for characters that ended up being killed off. Always a good sign if a show dares to do that. Anyone that's made it to the season finale will admit that the performances by then were fine. I think some of the cast needed to come to terms with virtual sets, shot against blue or green-screen. That obstacle should be out of the way for S2.

But the show does need to watch out for sloppiness in the renditions of the CG sets when overlaying the live action on to them. We don't watch CRT TVs anymore, and CGI oddities are visible in all their definition. Lighting in the environment doesn't always match the character's lighting conditions when walking through hallways or corridors. Shadows are forgotten, differences in saturation levels, over-cropped live footage makes arms and legs go very narrow against their backdrop, etc.. . This doesn't kill the show but it does kill off the illusion, and that's a shame. I hope the rendering department has sharpened their tools for season two and that they have also come up with somewhat more complexity in the virtual sets, because the lack of set detail (e.g. on board the ships) makes it extra hard on the actors if their face is the only thing carrying the shot.

So would I recommend it? Yes
    Do I look forward to the next season? Sure, bring it on!
  6. Nov 7, 2010
    It is a shame that flashforward was canceled instead of this show. The characters are extremely fake, acting mediocre and the story is mindless. It had a lot of potential to be good but its only gotten worse. Don't waste your time on this one.
  7. Mar 25, 2011
    I'm really dis-appointed by this show. I love Morena Baccarin and she is wonderful as the arch baddie but the rest of the show is a real let down. Science Fiction has to be well written and internally consistent if it's to engage and hold an audience but V just comes across as (yet another) TV series written by non-sci fi writers who don't have a grasp of the genre.
  8. Feb 23, 2011
    It really cannot move more slowly than this and still stay on TV. I am really disappointed as I had been looking forward to a great sci-fi show. Good acting which is wasted on a so-so script.
  9. Mar 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can see the political reference, i still don't care. Shows are supposed to let us escape from reality. Even though V managed to accomplish to a small degree that, i still find it's dialogue uninteresting, it's twists unsurprising and unmoving and find that some scenes are even irrelevant. The only few scenes in the entire show that i can remember is Anna's msg when they first arrived and her screaming at the death of her children as well as her trying to stem her tears when she ordered to kill the survivors.
    i am more interested in the alien than the humans
  10. Nov 2, 2011
    Well, we know how it ended and we know this...whoever was behind letting the 'brain trust' of Rosenbaum, Peters, Hall, Simoneau and Pearlman should be completely out of a job. Because everything from the moment the series started to how it was ended showed how stupid and ridiculous the idea of Sci-Fi(of Syfy as it's creators prefer) is going in the world. This series gave the original a bad name(and that one was a god AWFUL mess of bad writing) the only saving grace I can see is Morena Baccarin as Anna, she can show a convincing bad guy, which-again-is missing in the world of 'SyFy' these days. Expand
  11. Feb 18, 2013
    Reptilians concealing themselves as humans...Okay hold there for a moment......This is the point where you need to stop thinking about watching this show. These cheap movies are not science fiction! Seriously it might have been acceptable in the 1980's (It was cheesy even back then), but nowadays I can not take it. Reptilians? Seriously? The dumbest of all conspiracy theories. Lizard people build a spaceship that can travel to earth, and when they arrive they "dress up" as humans, and they start their manipulations to achieve some dump and overdone takeover scenario. The acting is bad. CGI is cheap (which would not be a problem if the story would be interesting....IF....). Ohhh please you there at syfy channel, ABC and so on... do not consider yourselves makers of SCIENCE FICTION!!! Expand
  12. Oct 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sigh, another Sci-Fi series that was cancelled prematurely just as it was starting to get good. The first season and first half of the second season where interesting but the plot was kind of predictable, at least if you had watched the original V series in the 80s, if not maybe it might have had a bit more shock value. I think it needed a great lead-in miniseries like in 1984's V: The Final Battle to get people more hooked from the start. This show touched on current day politics such as the dangers of blind devotion to a political leader: Anna, the Leader of the V's hair is modeled after Obama's hair and the first episode of the re-images series aired on the one-year anniversary of Obama's election, Anna wants to give "Universal Healthcare" to the world, etc.. It also touches on contemporary conspiracy theories about Flu Vaccinations when the V's attempt to kill off humanity by putting poison into the flu vaccines Anna also wants to censor the news about the Vs. I believe the show just puts these things in to make you think however, I didn't get the impression that it was a direct criticism of Obama or any particular politician in particular, but rather a general warning about putting too much trust into any politician or news cast you watch. I would give the first 1 1/2 seasons 7 because, like I said the plot was kind of predictable which would make me give it a 6, but I liked the subtle commentary the show has on current politics so it gets an extra point. The second half of the second season was however, less predictable and more daring. I suspect if ABC did not cancel it that season 3 would have been the best one yet. I am rating this with the knowledge that ABC cancelled the show mid-season 10/13 episodes and did not allow its producers to create an episode to resolve what seemed to be a season cliff-hanger at the end. What a bunch of jerks the television network was to do that, at least when Caprica, Star Trek Enterprise, etc., were cancelled they were allowed to have a farewell episode to tie up loose ends. So we'll never know how the humans got out of that mess, unless we just assume Anna won and humanity was doomed... But I'm giving it an 8 because the second half of the second season was at least that, possibly even a 9. And not its time to go re-watch the original series again so I can rate that one too... Expand
  13. Dec 23, 2012
    When I saw the first episode on TV I thought it was a movie. It's a great series (of the best and seen). Too bad they canceled the third season.
  14. Jul 11, 2014
    nothing Special, ist a solid sci fi Show. with the blond from lost the series got a strong lead character

No gold mine of symbolism is worth a damn when the show itself doesn’t have good old storytelling mojo behind it. And, based on the premiere, V has enough narrative drive and character definition to pull viewers into the creepy suspense of its dystopian world.
  2. Reviewed by: Paige Wiser
    Judging by the first episode, V seems like a solid adaptation.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    As an adventure series bristling with ideas, it's V+. Or as we grade 'em on Earth: B+