• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 22, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3
7.9

1. Apr 30, 2012
    Fantastic start to a promising new series from HBO. Dreyfuss is flat-out awesome in this role. I just want to give thanks to HBO, AMC and FX for making the only quality shows on TV.
  2. Apr 24, 2012
    As a fan of politics and comedy,I really found this show to be very clever. There are a lot of "inside the beltway" jokes, that might take a rewind or two to fully grasp how funny they were. The jokes do come fast and furious, and the acting top notch. Julie Louise-Dreyfuss is the Anti-Sarah Palin, and is focus of everything in this series. In the way that Seinfeld was about NOTHING, Veep is similiar in that it is not events that people are reacting to, but people. And a lot of them are bleeping idiots. I have a funny feeling that this show might not be too far from the truth about the job of Vice-President. Dreyfuss is the perfect person to play this person with the non-job - and she actually does a great job of being very funny! Expand
  3. Jun 9, 2012
    Veep is a fantastically satirical new show, and easily the best that HBO has debuted this year. It is incredibly smart, and is only for political veterans. Novices would not fit in with this fast paced show. Across the board strong performances (particularly by Julie Louis Dreyfus) put Veep among one of the best comedies on television.
  4. May 19, 2012
    I love Armondo. I loved In the Loop. This series is fantastic and feels like the most realistic view you will ever get into the workings behind the scenes in Washington. I personally hated The West Wing. I feel that it's writing isn't good. it's just fast. This is the exact converse. Veep is very cleverly written, so much so that it doesn't feel written. Very well done characters, all of them are honestly portrayed and very interesting. Great acting as well. It's a treat to see actors from UCB and Arrested development. Julia Dreyfus is excellent as the lead as well. Over all a very funny, very smart,very entertaining series. For those that don't find it funny... maybe you just don't get it. Expand
  5. May 13, 2012
    OMG! Beautiful show. Fell in love with it from episode #1. Julia L-D as always funny in a show with a lot of promise. As a communications practitioner myself I can definitely relate to the stories which I find extremely enjoyable. Long time since a show put a smile on my face like this one. An overall feel good show which I will be most definitely expecting every week.
  6. Nov 20, 2012
    Comes out of the gates roaring and ready to go! Possibly the best new comedy on television since Big Bang Theory and Parks and Recreation. Superbly written and communicated expertly from the actors. This show is a must see.
  7. Apr 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. Veep is a waste of time.....to much horrible unnecessary language...a little is fine but a lot is not entertainment...not funny...big disappointment...one torturous scene after another-----what happened to funny? inspirational? enjoyable? ??? who are these writers???Julia is funny but she needs some serious help....this time around. Collapse
  8. May 20, 2012
    Any comic will tell you that the "cheapest" laugh is
    the laughs you try to get by swearing or being "blue". With that said
    VEEP is one of the "cheapest" programs on the tube. It isn't original,
    It isn't entertaining and it sure ISN'T FUNNY. When will writers learn
    that just because you're on a channel that allows you to swear, it's not the way to be cutting edge, trendy or funny. This
    should be the Number one rule that should be tattooed to the foreheads of all writers
    on "pay" channels. To sum it all up, VEEP is a total waste of time.
    It's over acted, all punch lines are telegraphed (you can see them coming a mile away) and the only purpose that I can figure it serves
    is that it's a way for you brush up on cursing but not even creative
    cursing. Don't waste your time, if you need swear words...read a
    Public restroom wall, much more entertaing.
  9. Jun 9, 2012
    First episode was a bit buggy and seemed uncomfortable. However, every episode since has gotten better. The vulgarity as its used is perfect. Everything Armando Iannucci does is great.
  10. Sep 8, 2012
    Made me laught out loud in every episode at least three times. And thats hard for a comedy nowadays. The cast has superb acting skills and JLD's acting is emmy-worthy.
  11. Feb 2, 2013
    This show is smart, hilarious and the writing is great. Julia Louis-Dreyfus is wonderful as Selina Meyers and so is the rest of the cast in their roles. If you're looking for a show that can make you laugh a lot every episode, this is it!
  12. Apr 2, 2013
    Veep could easily become the next "Curb Your Enthusiasm". It's a comedy for smart people, and the best HBO has put out in years. Dreyfus gives an excellent performance, and I cannot wait until season 2.
  13. Aug 17, 2013
    Veep might be the most critically under appreciated show I've ever seen, both from the view of the critics and the view of the fans. This show is hysterical, witty, and brilliantly performed by Julia Dreyfus.
  14. Oct 10, 2013
    Veep is fuc*ing hilarious. This is not a run-of-the-mill sitcom, it is an original and intelligent political comedy with an extremely unique sense of humor. It's not stupid humor, its not situational humor, its "wordplay" humor. The show focuses on the Vice President of the United States, played by Julia Louise Dreyfuss and her entourage. They know that politics is complete and all about appearances and ass-kissing, and they are professional ****ters and ass-kissers. Vice President Selina Meyer and her team act as if they were a bunch of immature collegians who were suddenly one day given political office. The entire show focuses on the hysterical bickering and banter between them as they their way through office. The lines they say, the insults, the comebacks, the witt, is so ingenious that you will find yourself dying of laughter and simultaneously being impressed. There's never been a comedy like this, check it out. Expand
  15. Nov 17, 2013
    Veep is funny as hell! It's been a long time that I laugh this often from watching one comedy. Louis-Dreyfuss' take on Selina Meyer is probably one of the funniest female character I've ever seen on TV. Tony Hale is also doing good with other cast members also showing strong acting skills.
  16. Mar 10, 2014
    I have only watched three episodes of this show, but I love it. I'm buying more. I think it's Julia LD at her best; witty dialogue, snappy repartee. I like most of the cast as well. It's not always the case that others can keep pace with the star. This show should be better promoted.
  17. Oct 1, 2012
    Brilliance. This is a perfect example of a prime, quality political satire, and Julia Louis-Dreyfus is astounding as the title character. It misses a perfect rating for me because of the horrendous pregnancy storyline that was quickly nixed, but if the series can avoid that kind of nonsense in the future, it's sure to become a classic.
  18. Oct 7, 2013
    Some tonal inconsistencies aside, Veep is a highly watchable show that thankfully lacks the pretensions and superficiality associated with today's average television comedy.
  19. Sep 4, 2012
    I thought the premise would be stupid but ended up freaking loving it. Pretty brilliant writing and great character development, I meant the characters are absolutely fantastic! Also, the humor is pretty high grade stuff, not your average sitcom material.
  20. Jun 19, 2013
    Funny, funny show. Just silly and throws jokes come out of nowhere. Take a new twist on being in the white house. Highly recommend to those of you who were Seinfield fans back in the day.
  21. Oct 23, 2013
    Solid political satire. As far as it takes the parody, it still seems much more true to life than a show like "House of Cards." The only downside to the show is how fast the jokes come at you, which really isn't a downside, because it means you can watch it again and catch the laughs that flew by you. In fact, it has already become one of those shows whose episodes I've watched three or more times. If you are someone who only enjoys watching people you'd want to spend time with in real life, this show is not for you. It is a shark tank of a show. Watch out! Expand
  22. May 19, 2012
    Watched the first 4 episodes at this point, the cast isn't completely settled and comfortable yet but it has great potential. Julia definitely carries it for now, but I wouldn't call the others miscast, they fit really well. Of the new shows this year, this is the one I look forward to the most every week.
  23. Apr 25, 2012
    I really loved this pilot....! Julia is SO FREAKING FUNNY !! xD Nothing but an excellent script and the excellent cast!! This show is here for the long haul!
  24. Aug 20, 2012
    After the success of The Thick of It and the American cross-over film In the Loop, Armando Iannucci delivers what is an all-American take on his razor sharp political satire in Veep.

Set in the Vice-President Selina Myers' office, the series deals with her struggles to make her mark on the administration from what is a position of power in name only, similar to Nick Clegg being Deputy
    Prime Minister. The show features all the incompetent bumbling characters you would expect and has a fantastic script to match.

Some might call the acerbic put-downs and head-butting crude and maybe its just my sense of humour but when somebody says "that this bill is a f*cking disgrace and I'm going to see to it personally that it gets chewed up like a dead prostitute in a wood chipper" I laugh. Sue me. There are some fantastic lines in the script, often from the Veep herself.

It's not just all swearing and school ground teasing though, the episode plots are credible and well thought through and give ample opportunity for the Veep and her staff to screw up at every single turn. That said some episodes are stronger than others. All the characters are well played and the acting is excellent. Overall, a really strong first season and I'm pleased to see it renewed for another.
  25. May 15, 2012
    Fantastic new series! Veep has solid, clever and sharp writing, with some very intelligent humour, and it all plays well and enhances Dreyfuss and the other characters! HBO once again proves to be the leader on producing top quality shows. Congratulations !
  26. Jun 4, 2012
    I have watched every episode of Season 1 so far and I really like the content and writing. I don't agree with some of the other reviews that they use the F word as a crutch. It's in there a lot, but why would you not use it for a show on HBO. My only problem is some of the interplay between Amy, Dan and Mike seems overly-cruel and forced. I think the writing is great and intentionally meanders or stops mid-thought, leading to fresh comedic moments that you don't normally see in something more scripted. Expand
  27. Jun 11, 2012
    Veep is an Americanised-in-every-way version of Armando Ianucci's BBC show, The Thick of It. That comment is not meant as a criticism, or a stick with which to beat it, merely a fairly accurate description. The tone of the show is lighter, the characters are a bit more cartooney, and the language (despite the seeming furore about it) is a bit fluffier. Again, none of these are bad things, but it is important to identify the base origins of this series.

Focussing on the Vice President of the United States (Louis-Dreyfuss), Ianucci has developed a microcosm of D.C. that seems far to amazingly realistic for comfort. While in the UK we cynically look upon our leaders and their total helplessness, Americans still champion their politicians and even believe the bullsh*t they come out with. Veep isn't trying to tear this rapport down, merely highlight the fact that the reality is that while these people are out making nice to the general public, there is an innate darkness to us all. It is this darkness that is satirised so wonderfully.

There is no real over-arching storyline other than every day life. This is a snapshot of how government works filmed through the lens of satire. There are few writers that genuinely capture the imagination and make politics interesting. Behind the language, behind the insults, behind the unlikeable people is a timeless commentary on people who make the decisions that rule our lives.

Other than Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, the cast are made up of faces that are recognisable, rather than names. A big help to the dynamic of the show is Anna Chlumsky (it always makes me chuckle that she's the My Girl-girl), who appeared in Ianucci's The Thick of It spin-off film In The Loop (nominated for a screen writing Oscar). The banter is effortless, and other than a few moments where Louis-Dreyfuss could be accused of being a bit too sitcommy, all the dialogue and characters seem a natural fit. Unfortunately for Tony Hale, even without the glasses, he will always be Buster Bluth (not that it's a bad thing), which makes his newest man-child Gary occasionally veer to the wrong side of ridiculous.

Much has been made of quirky in-jokes, and the lack of a PotUS VP (President of the United States Visual Presence), and the seeming unaligned politics, but surely that is the point. Great satire should be timeless. As soon as time restricted characteristics are assigned the joke is immediately dated. That this could be any administration, at any time, from any party, is the genius. It's not a comment on the here and now, it's a comment on the always. Veep doesn't always attain those heights, but with a man like Ianucci steering the ship, it's definitely aiming in the right direction.
  28. Jul 10, 2012
    While the first season of Veep has a not quite sure of itself feel similar to the first season of the American version of The Office, Julia Louis-Dreyfus is hilarious as Veep Selena Meyer. The narcissistic, unstable vice president is one of the best comedy performances all year, saying such comedy gold as "I'm the Vice President of the United States, you f***ers!" and "I've met a lot of people, real people, and I gotta tell you, they're all f***ing idiots". As a whole package, veep feels like there's something missing, but that only leaves room for improvement. Expand
  29. Apr 25, 2012
    I really don't understand why people review things so passionately (users and critics alike) after one 30 minute episode. I caught most of this premiere and I enjoyed it, but I didn't LOVE it, and I don't get why some people would hate it so much so quickly. It's not like there are that many funny shows out there (I'll give you a little while to think about how true that is), so I was pleasently surprised from the little bit I did see. I'll likely be watching the next couple episodes to see where the show goes. So far, so good. Expand
  30. Apr 18, 2013
    This is a bit of a quirky, dry humor revolving around Julia being the spurned Presidential canidate-playing the Vice president. I do like the supporting cast, although now just starting the 2nd season, I have not seen much character development in them. Clearly Julia is the star of the show-and she ain't bad to look at.
  31. Nov 19, 2012
    Less biting than it should be, this will be a series to watch from time to time based on the talent of its ensemble cast. I can't see it growing to anything more than that, but who knows?
  32. Jul 19, 2012
    I tried to like this show but I couldn't. The first 5 were unbearable. Unfunny and unintelligent, I laughed maybe 3 times in total. The next five episodes were better, I laughed a lot more and the stories were interesting. Julia Louis Dreyfuss is good, but she is really just playing a variation of Old Christine. The rest of the cast are also good. In fact the acting from everyone involved is good, the major problem for me with this show was the writing. I don't want to sound like a prude, but all the excessive cursing ruined it for me. I normally have absolutely no problem with profanities, but this time it just didn't work. It just didn't fit with the rest of the dialogue, it felt like overkill. I just didn't understand why everyone was insulting each, I get that it's like a dog eat dog world but how is insulting your colleagues going to help you. In all its a alright show with some funny moments, but nothing special. It's not "In the Loop" kind of funny (haven't seen "In the Thick of It"). 5.5/10 Expand
  33. May 9, 2012
    Julia Louis-Dreyfuss is as divine as always, and the supporting cast seems game, but not one character (save maybe Selina's daughter) is remotely likable. While there is a good chance that is true of the real-life Washington, it just doesn't make for very enjoyable or entertaining TV.
  34. Apr 24, 2012
    I think this show has potential to grab a hold of viewers, but if the pilot is any indication, Veep is in some serious need of new writers. The jokes just don't seem to come together like they should, which is why the "F" word is used to help give the characters lines the extra funny that they need, it's called compensation. I think this is a new world record? a whopping 25 "fucks" and "fuckin's" in a pilot episode. Expand
  35. Apr 23, 2012
    There is so much social media/internet/technology saturation in television these days that it's making me nauseous. I tried to watch Veep's premiere last night to completion, but couldn't help feeling like I was being force fed the ramblings of the internet in television series form. Julia Louis Dreyfuss also irritates me and for the most part isn't likeable in anything she does, Veep included. I couldn't help but get a corporate feel from this show which is about the least charming explanation I can think of. Expand
  36. Jul 12, 2013
    As the typical political satire, this show brings nothing new to the table. As a comedy, this show merely triggers one or two moments of laughter in each episode.
  37. May 3, 2012
    Tried to make it through this show and found it dry, unfunny and overall annoying. The concept of the show could be good but the cast doesn't seem to flow and neither does the script.
  38. Jun 4, 2013
    The more I watch the worse it gets. Lots of swearing and gutter humour. This often happens when the US tries to copy a UK show. Witness The Office.
    Their Production meeting must have gone like this: "OK, lets have lots rapid-fire camera work, f-bombs, and mean spirits. Maybe that'll work."
    For me it's not.
  39. Aug 25, 2012
    This show is entirely worthless, hard to believe this was renewed but I guess HBO must have nothing else even halfway decent to produce. Astonishing anyone could enjoy this show as is pure crap.

1. Reviewed by: Dorothy Rabinowitz
    Apr 27, 2012
    She's not funny, the aide is told--a line that elicited in this viewer a stream of unstoppable thoughts about what was not funny about this show, which is a lot, all of which ended up pointing, inexorably, to its writers. What saves the show is Ms. Louis-Dreyfus's Selina.
  2. Reviewed by: Rick Porter
    Apr 23, 2012
    Veep is a show, though, that finds great comedy in the space between that idealism and the reality they face every day.
  3. Reviewed by: Marisa LaScala
    Apr 23, 2012
    In its focus on such details, the show finds humor in the contradiction between the staff's renowned arena and the petty ways they get things done.