• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 5, 2013
  • Season #: 1
7.2

1. Apr 30, 2013
    My high hopes for this series have quickly turned into disgust and embarrassment for America. The short skits portrayed in this series are nothing more than exploitation's of other cultures and their apparent issues at hand. There is some truth to the matters at hand, but as an American that has lived in several of these places and experienced firsthand what is actually happening, I can safely say that this team of media investigators has embellished the truth on more than one occasion, as so many American so called "journalists" these days do. The majority of viewers have never and never will experience for themselves, which is why I must give this show a "0". It's a truly shameful portrayal of the usual cliches being touted in the news as "real" news, which it blatantly is not. Edgy it tries to be, edgy (once again) it fails at. Showing a few dead bodies laying around a street doesn't give you any "street" cred in my book. Just more exploitation of others in hopes of achieving some shock value ratings points.

Interestingly, none of the skits (thus far) focus on America. We've got just as many, if not more, far worse problems, atrocities, corruption and misjustice happening daily in our own backyards. I'm inclined to believe the show could be much more informative, useful and believable (if not simply provable) if this were the case. I think it's pretty obvious why this show puts the focus on everyone else but our own society.

Sorry HBO but I would much rather watch the more factual 'Rome, 'How to make it in America or the 'Sopranos than this fabrication. Oh wait, you cancelled all of those! DOH

1. Reviewed by: Maureen Ryan
    Apr 5, 2013
    It's the sloppy approach to context and the tabloid-y aspects of Vice that are ultimately harder to take than the self-aggrandizing bro-ness of it all.
  2. Reviewed by: David Wiegand
    Apr 5, 2013
    In a world that has exploded with instantaneously accessible information, television news is hard-pressed to figure out how to keep up. It takes a show like Vice to make other news magazine shows seem like they belong in a TV antiques shop.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Apr 5, 2013
    What Vice offers is not deep or thorough, but it is not without value. The news comes in pieces now; to get the full picture, you have to assemble it yourself.