8.5

1. Mar 11, 2013
    Brutal and Beautiful. Gorgeous landscapes and awesome action. They capture the brutality that these men lived. Love Katheryn Winnick's role as Lagertha! What a gorgeous strong woman. She kicks butt!
  2. Mar 19, 2013
    An interesting mix of drama and history, that seems to well illustrate the differences between these ancient pagan warriors beliefs and modern day morals. The plot is nothing radical, but its solid, well written and well acted add in some beautiful scenery and a little action and your onto a winner.
  3. Mar 6, 2013
    Rather than comparing it to Game of Thrones, I'd say it's closer to a basic cable cousin of HBO's Rome. It quite watchable. What I especially like is that it covers a race of people (the Norsemen) that we in America know little about
  4. Mar 6, 2013
    Awesome, pure awesome. This is why we watch History Channel. This is no doubt their best docudrama since Hatfields and Mccoys. Trust me, you should watch it immediately.
  5. Apr 6, 2013
    Vikings came out of nowhere and has shot to the top of my favorites list. It has gorgeous cinematography, characters with substance, and plots that are perfectly paced and gripping to watch. It's so good immersive and even relaxing to watch at times. I'm so glad it's been renewed for a second season. It transports me to another time and place after a hard day at work like no other show I've watched in a long time. If you haven't seen it yet you are missing out! Expand
  6. Mar 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I started to watch this pilot because I was reminded of Pillars of the Earth. This show does not compare at all. The Vikings is a clumsy, dull, tedious and inaccurate show. This series is shown on the History channel. I would have thought, that they might have gotten a few facts correct. In regarding the basic origins and history of these great Viking raiders. Who had made it as far as North America in there conquest. I was massively disappionted in this opening plot. The Vikings shown acquired their sea faring abilities were explained as a traveller from the south. Who gave them a sundial/compass which through the sun casting a shadow would mark navigational bearings, if no sun was present a sun stone was used to acquire the sun's light. Vikings were such an accomplished race of raiders travellling oceans. This might have been explained in more depth. Then look at these shinies now we can go west to pillage lads. I shortly turned off after watching the supposed Viking court. This scene was total The Viking cheiftan ask for a vote on a convicted murder and then ask that murder which execution to choose. The Vikings were tribal raiders they inflicted all kinds of barbarous tortures like impaling, and flaying. Although from what I read the main way they would ascertain wether or not there was any truth to a statement was to have the accused pick many stones out of boiling water and then determine if the burns would heal if they did then there was truth. This method is but one of the many tortures they would have inflicted. There was never any voting and judgement would be determined through the cheftian. I was bothered by the Viking villages exterior showing many small huts and structures. In Scandinavia temperatures plumet to -25-40c. The villagers mostly all resided in a single longhouse for warmth. The outside of the village there was no dominating structure but many small hutsetc. The acting alot of the accents used are english but were so thick they caused little effect. For full effect maybe should have spoken using english subtitles in a Norse or Scandinavian accent. There were scenes regarding the main character and his child explaining his love life and how to be man, while going out and drinking in the tavern, these absolutely bored me to death. The botched rape showing the main character to be a metal smith with an anivil and a hot sword still smelting which his wife uses as a weapon to defend herself. Yet he was out training with his boy in warfare and was a raider who manned his own longboat, seemed totally incoherent. I had lost all interest so I began fastforwarded. To find the sex scene where his wife tells him I vill wide you tonight, yea right history. There was some natural beauty in the locations of fjord's, longboat, Viking sheids, axes, some good costumes with the animal skins, and their tatoo's. Overly though I am done with this series. I am really not at all impressed by the very clumsy attempt at history Expand
  7. Mar 11, 2013
    The Viking Religion

Vikings are awesome, as are the myths of pre-Christian Scandinavia that come with them. There are giant hammers, eight-legged horses and Ragnarok, in which the universe is kicked to death by fire and the bad guys pilot a ship made of corpse fingernails. It's like one giant, eternal '80s metal album cover. But for many people those who feel a deep connection to Norse
    culture, want to join a prison gang or are just angry at their parents for making them get up early for church when they were young Scandinavian paganism is alive and well, known as Odinism or Asatru by modern followers.

The Reality:

You're begging us now, "Please, don't tell us that all of that stuff about Thor and his hammer, Odin, Loki and other Marvel properties are made up to sell some books!" Unfortunately, our dedication to the truth is only seconded by our dedication to killing your dreams. Pretty much everything we know about Scandinavian paganism comes from the Eddas, two books compiled in the 13th century by a guy with the hilarious, Muppet-like name of Snorri Sturluson.

But wait, the 13th century's still pretty old, right? Yes, but there's a problem here: Snorri wrote the books several hundred years after Scandinavia had been Christianized. Oh, and Snorri himself wasn't exactly a true believer: he declared that the "gods" he was writing about were just dead heroes who got talked up later.

That would be bad enough, but Snorri's collections also contained elements that seem to be cribbed from the hot new religion, like Odin sacrificing himself by hanging on a tree and getting pierced by a spear. In fact, some buzzkill scholars have even suggested that Ragnarok itself is no more than a retelling of the end of paganism under Christianity, or even a co-opted version of the Biblical book of Revelation. Basically, Snorri was working at the end of a 200-year-old religious telephone game, and we've just got no way of knowing what was in the original version and what was the result of one guy saying, "You know what religion needs? More giant hammers."

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_19283_7-ancient-forms-mysticism-that-are-recent-inventions_p2.html#ixzz2NFlWZGJI
  8. Mar 10, 2013
    The characters have no morals, rational thinking nor guilt, there isn't a character which you can cheer for. Even With a Game Of Thrones vibe and beautiful landscapes, it isn't enough too fully enjoy.
  9. Mar 12, 2013
    History presented this way is awesome! I really like how they managed to bring the Vikings, their families and their beliefs back to life. It let people get more familiar with our human roots, how people who had to "set sails" for new shores influenced at least the whole Europe and the middle east. Even for those who are not interested in history, it is a must watch. No fantasy. Just saga.
  10. Mar 4, 2013
    Very interesting new show from The History Channel. It feels very Game of Thrones-esque. While it is a bit early to make a complete judgment on the show, I will say that it has captured my interest. The characters seem to be well developed and well acted. The setting is interesting and the cinematography awe-inspiring. Can't wait to see more!
  11. Mar 12, 2013
    This is not Game of thrones this is something else a real attempt to make at TV-show of early Vikings. I think after two episodes they succeeded its a great show trying to be true to its time. Good story great casting, dirty and pagan as it should be with Asatro. The Vikings were the true explorers of America and great tradesmen as explorers. Go see it, we do in Scandinavia
  12. Mar 12, 2013
    This is a great first show from History channel. The acting is great, the scenes are awesome, the plot fantastic, and knowing it is made by he History channel one can trust its content. I could only image what it would be like on a prem cable channel. Still a fantastic show!
  13. Mar 31, 2013
    This is a BRUTAL, EXCITING, and ENTERTAINING storyline. Unlike so many shows that get boring after the premiere and dont pick back up until the finale (the walking dead with a ton of filler) Vikings actually keeps its momentum! It is not my favorite show when compared to game of thrones, dexter, etc. but I really do enjoy this show quite a bit! MAJOR props to the history channel! I strongly suggest Vikings! Expand
  14. Apr 6, 2013
    A passable series, though far from excellent. The dialogue is unsophisticated, and characters rather simple as well. Though, the sole exception would have to be actor Travis Fimmel, who shines quite brightly in his role as Ragnar (the series' protagonist). It's a shame "Vikings" is shackled by the network it airs on, and must pander to the History Channel's new dim-witted demographic.
  15. Mar 29, 2013
    With every episode the show gets better and better. The attention to detail and historical accuracy is rather incredible. Vikings is easily one of the best shows on television right now. Cast and crew are doing an amazing job. Especially Travis Fimmel whose shoulders the show rests on. Four episodes in and I'd call myself a big fan. And lastly there is no need to compare it to Rome or Game of Thrones because Vikings stands tall on its own two legs. Can't wait to see where the shows writers take the show. Expand
  16. Apr 27, 2013
    This is far more better than overrated Game of thrones full of surprises and tally with the history and well acted TV show. People should appreciated this kind of hard work rather than overrated TV shows such as Game of thrones.
  17. Apr 11, 2013
    By no means a "poor man's Spartacus," you will find sword waving, revenge, deception, and familiar plot lines in comfortable abundance. That this is a History Channel production might also mean you'll find a bit more historical fact, but the temptations of Viking cliches often prove too alluring for the script to ignore. All in all, well crafted, surprisingly well acted, and at times breath-taking Irish landscapes helped by only a little CGI. While the plot can be a bit wonky at times, their is something endearing and admirable that will keep audiences coming back for more raping and pillaging. In that sense, sympathetic protagonists are slightly in want. Expand
  18. Sep 6, 2013
    Vikings is an engaging narrative that teaches, so it differs from a traditional documentary, but it isn't quite a drama either. It's a genre I wouldn't mind seeing replicated.
  19. Apr 14, 2013
    I adore this new show, The Vikings. It makes you learn some history and the scenery is gorgeous. Also, love the cast! Travis Trimmel is wonderful as Ragnor and his wife is a fierce warrior. It transports you back into the 8th-11th centuries of Viking existence and reign.
  20. Apr 25, 2013
    I heard of the show a few weeks ago from some friends as they knew i was really into Scandinavian History. So i started watching and i got annoying right from the very first scene. There they are a bunch of people fighting each other and the obvious protagonists wear no helmets.Later on the show ,only the guys who have absolutely no idea whatsoever of fighting wear helmets(aka Northumbrians),it seems the Vikings have heads of steel and are able to deflect whatever comes against them with their bare skull. 5 minutes later i am shown a gorgeous woman doing some karate-ninja moves and kills 2 men.Yeah i know ,she is supposed to be a shield maiden or whatever but there goes an absolute realism killer.Pretty/slim/2013 top model style women and killing machines doesn't really go together. I am not going to get into the subject of the eyeliner of the kings wife(apparently the shield maiden also has some when fighting-what for???) nor the fact that vikings were supposed to not know how to sail to the west before Ragnar, as i am covered by previous reviews. Then there is the worst anachronistic stuff that we see in almost every single movie/series,the whole story of a pretty young girl marrying an ugly,dumb,annoying etc etc (they REALLY try to make you hate this guy,like a voice behind your ear he is bad,oh poor poor girl that tries to force you to think something). Women were married to ugly men because of political reasons and guess what it was OK.No annoying queen talking back to the king -eeew our daughter should marry out of love- its just the way it was. What really pissed me off though is the insane absence of ANY sense concerning battle tactics.Northumbrians are depicted as blind,deaf,legless and armless sacks of meat ready to be butchered by the protagonists who are SO super cool,i mean what the hell, my cat would put more of a fight then those poor soldiers. On their first contact they see a bunch of hulking giants with axes and shields and grim looks(still no helmets) on their faces and the director thought it would be cool if Northumbrians thought they were traders(???). Oh and also,what is your first reaction when u see a band of armed giants?Get close to them and dismount.Yeah. The band of Northumbrians that waited at the ship Ragnar to attack him had archers with them.Did they fire arrows at them or lay ed an ambush?Hah but of course they did not,they waited for the vikings to make a shield-wall and THEN they fired(they were at least 2 times more then the vikings and they made absolutely no trying to encircle them). Last but not least,the sense of obviousness is killing me. Is Ragnar going to die on the raid to his village or on the fight with the Earl?Of course not he is the hero and as we all know,children and Ragnar kind of characters are immortals. Did the deceitful king of Northumbria (you guys could add serpent eyes to him,that would make him look even more deceitful) honor his deal with the honorable monk slayer Ragnar?Of course not,he is laying a wicked ambush an ambush which consists of some horsemen running against a spiked fence -. Is the guy that cries all the time bout not getting to Valhalla,getting killed in the first battle he takes part?Of course he is,he leaves his last breath while on his dried lips a last word is whispered..Valhalla..Yeah okay what is next, the bad guy standing on a hill cackling like a maniac(having his hands,well you know how)during a rainy night while thunderbolts strike the ground behind him?Every episode was full of those Clichés. I could go on and on but i am going to stop here. This is a really bad attempt to make something that will just sell.No idea what the History CH is doing there ,i guess its involved to sell the -this is based on a true story- stuff. It is however a great thing to watch while you eat in front of your computer and you just want to watch something without caring what is happening.. Thanks for reading! Expand
  21. May 15, 2013
    Instead of a review, I'll do a comparison: If you loved The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, you're really, really, really, really going to enjoy this. The scenery is ABSOLUTELY beautiful and the production values are very high. I still can't believe I'd never heard of it before last week, the advertisement campaign for this was definitely underfunded.
  22. Apr 1, 2013
    I really enjoy this show but I have a question. Who are the people who live in the Ragnar's village and why are the so unimportant? When a boy is taken as a hostage and never returns (he is murdered), no one blinks. And when the chieftan raids the village and kills everybody in sight (except the people he wants to kill, Ragnar and his family), Rangar's wife complains while at Loki's that the family lost all of its livestock, not that there was an unwarranted massacre Expand
  23. Jul 20, 2013
    Great show, with political intrigue, with great historical settings and environments. The fighting is top notch as well, and veers away from the common, and flawed, hollywood perception of bettles consisting of countless individual duels. Overall, one of my favorite shows! Can't wait for season 2!!!
  24. May 2, 2013
    Very decent show, that clearly fails to be excellent because of flat and boring character development and the lack of gore and realism (northmen leaving the shieldwall to fight 300 style anybody? :D).
  25. May 6, 2013
    Vikings has its moments, and when it does it captivates the brutality and simplicity of the Norsemen which is very well bolstered by some great performances, most notably by Travis Fimmel. Unfortunately, not all of the acting is consistent and some of the characters are underdeveloped or underwritten. The plot is engaging enough to keep you wanting more but is far from intriguing or thrilling enough to want to watch again. Expand
  26. Mar 18, 2013
    To complain the characters have no morals, rational thinking nor guilt is kind of silly, is it not?

I think that might possibly describe your typical Viking…
  27. Mar 21, 2013
    vikings is yet one of the amazing series of this year the scenario is different then our typical series thing that made me love it more is how women are treated the same in battle field where they can fight and protect themselves death blood glory
  28. Mar 23, 2013
    This show suffers from a lot of modern cinema issues that bother me which I'll not dock it for in score however other aspects I most certainly will such as poor writing, historical inaccuracies, and character development.

Vikings in general is fairly well filmed and the acting is quite good with a decent premise laid out in front of us after the pilot. That said I cannot stand some
    aspects that made me start fast-forwarding through the second episode and eventually give up on this series. I have never seen Game of Thrones, Spartacus, or Rome so no worries, no comparisons there.

In general you want to like Vikings, you really do. You can see the sheer amount of effort put into acting, writing, filming, creating the sets, etc. They really did try. The two main things that bother me are its inability to decide if its historically inaccurate, and if its going to be drama or action. They truly skimped on having experts to consult (or refusing to consult them). When watching Vikings you feel like you're watching one of those old Vietnam anti-war movies that want you to take them seriously but in the back of your head your brain is screaming at how ridiculously inaccurate it all is. Its hard to take a movie about Vikings seriously when 90% of the characters just ooze sex-icon from every pore. The main character is some hot, punk looking young man, who DOESN'T want to see this guy succeed? This brings me to my other gripe which is how poor the character development is.

In a good action series you want action AT LEAST in the majority of the show. Since in even the pilot it already lacks that I'm going to go with 'drama'. Ok, so in a drama you want to see very fleshed out characters put into tough situations. Not so in Vikings! Aside from having a slightly inflated ego (who can blame him?) the main character is much too secure. I don't blame the actor as he does fine with portraying the role given to him its just how ridiculously bland and vanilla he is. To top it off we have an equally egotistical 'villain' (the chieftain) who thrives off power and will violently hold a grudge against someone (although he decides to 'wait and see' what the main character does which made NO sense to me). Also the 'drama' already being stirred up is just simply childish. The characters seem to hate each other for even the tinniest little things and sometimes quite random ones (what the heck was with the brother/wife scene??? Seriously?).

Overall kudos to you if you can sit through such a bland 'soap opera' of drama, historical inaccuracy, and lack of any action to break the monotony. To top it off they use that GOD AWFUL 'free hand' camera with a zoom lens in most scenes with dialogue. Thankfully its not the Bourne Identity 'shake the camera to show action' or Battlestar Galactica 'zoom so far you can see the outlines of their face pores' camera work. Still annoying and noticeable at points. Is there some sad lack of camera supports in the world because I'm running low on anti-nausea pills.

To conclude though, I'd recommend skipping this series unless people start raving like mad monkeys about it because let's face it, you can always re-watch it if by some miracle this show's poor writing and such turns around completely.
  29. Apr 29, 2013
    Here's the best thing I could conjure up to say about ‘The Vikings’ it’s not bad. And that is pretty much all it has going for it it’s not bad and the writing is not poor, the cinematography is rather good actually. Any comparison to HBOs ‘Game Of Thrones’ is very unfair and infact I’d go ahead and say it’s an insult to the immensely imaginative world George RR Martin created. There isn’t a single character you’ll meet in ‘The Vikings’ whom you’ve not met before. Lot of people have suggested that it has a very complex plot I don’t get it, I didn’t see any complex plot (stopped watching after 4 episodes) or for that matter a relatively linear one too. Plenty of folks have given it a 10 I understand that, there is a demograph out there that’ll think this is a piece of art and the “plot” is incredible. How can you tell if you’r part of that demography did you read and like the work of George RR Martin? Are you a huge fan of ‘Game of Thrones’ Did you hate Spartacus the series not the fellow) If you answer in affirmative to any 2 of these questions then this is not the show for you. If you are not sure what affirmative means then this just might be the series which will occupy the number one slot on your best of the decade list and I sincerely hope you enjoy it. Collapse
  30. Apr 1, 2013
    Simply an awesome series with a great story line and plot. The one hour time slot flies by. Cant wait for Sunday night now. This would have made a great movie along the lines of Braveheart for the big screen. Also 1 more thing great acting
  31. Apr 8, 2013
    Vikings has proven to be a fairly solid entry into scripted television and while it has been slow getting it's footing, it's truly hitting it's stride.
  32. Apr 25, 2013
    This is an amazing show. It totally ignores history and is clumsy beyond belief. The brother of the main character does not even have a norse name. Somebody chose to call him Rollo which is about as norse as Luigi. The viking ships which are pretty important to the plot are built in a matter of days and change size greatly from scene to scene. In one scene two or three men operate the boat and in the next the same boat holds ten times as many. This series is not history and not even plausible fantasy. Expand
  33. Apr 27, 2013
    Displays history with drama and shows how they live and how determine they were to succeed in there endeavors. Gorgeous landscapes feels so inviting it draws you in..
  34. Apr 28, 2013
    I have only seen the first two episodes, but so far "Vikings" throws realism and historical accuracy out the window quite a few times to often for my taste. Given the commercials etc., I did not expect the show to compromise and disregard real life knowledge for the sake of drama more than once in a while; definitely not in every other scene as the case seems to be. It is not a bad series, just not at all what was advertised. Expand
  35. Jun 24, 2013
    Vikings is a brutal drama that tries to keep itself in the borders of history yet tell a story of it's own.The series has a dark story,good actors and realistic combat.That pretty much sums it up,an awesome series that you should definitely watch.
  36. May 21, 2013
    One word for this series, WOW! I honestly cant get enough and have watched each episode more than twice. For the creators, cast and crew AWESOME job! Keep up the great work I look forward to many more seasons One can HOPE) good luck!
  37. Sep 10, 2013
    Set in the period we now call the "Dark Ages", the series "Vikings" is FAR more realistic than many other period productions. The Norse were deeply religious, but in a way which we cannot relate to in the modern western world with our deeply ingrained sense of Judaeo-Christian morality. The Norse practised their religious beliefs by HOPING to die in battle and not of old age, believing this would ensure they were selected for the Hall of Valour, "Valhalla" by Odin. They would feast, drink and fight there until the Day of Ragnarok, at which time they would battle the forces of evil, who would triumph over them. A very grim world view indeed, but one which encouraged personal courage and a desire for honour within the confines of their own world view as the ONLY important accolade to have.
    "Vikings" captures this aspect of the Old Norse religion and culture better than I have ever seen before.
    Some of the black humour and sparse conversational style of the Icelandic Sagas is reflected in "Vikings" screenplay, and the writer must be congratulated for this level of authenticity. The sets and costumes are also to a high standard. In fact, the shaved back of the head shown in Ragnar Lothbrok's son Bjorn IS accurate to a later period of history, the Vikings direct descendants, the Normans, or "Northmen" who landed in Northern France under the command of Duke Rollo.
    Not to be dismissive of CRAZYE2000, but the Norse were highly moral, it was just not a morality that we would wish to relate to 1200 years later.
    Acting good, sets great, I love it.
  38. Sep 23, 2013
    Cómo la web me pide un mínimo de 150 caracteres, y necesito hacer el review para poder tenerla archivada en mi perfil, pues suelto este rollo y mi votación es de 7. Un saludo.
  39. Sep 26, 2013
    This show caught my interest shortly before it premiered, and I was intrigued to see whether or not it would provide an at least semi-accurate portrayal of the culture to which I trace my heritage. To say I was not disappointed is an understatement I was blown away! This is one of the most intelligently put-together combinations of historical fact with semi-fictional story-telling. Not only does this show do traditional Viking culture more justice than any previous cinematic attempts, it also stays stunningly true to the legendary stories surrounding its central characters (ie Ragnar Lodbrok, Rollo, Lagertha, among others). It is entirely possible that this show holds little for those who are not at all interested in Viking culture or society, but I know for myself that it instantly shot to the top of my 'hardcore fan' list. For me, the immersion and perfect atmosphere that this show provides is incomparable and that goes a LONG way. I can safely say that History Channel has done the Norsemen proud. Expand
  40. Oct 12, 2013
    Vikings is a historical drama and adventure TV series directed and written by Michael Hirst ('The Tudors','Elizabeth'), for the television channel History.
    It premiered on March 3rd 2013, with 6.21 million U.S viewers for the first episode 'Rites of Passage'. It currently has a full one season, that includes nine 42-44 minutes episodes, and season 2 in process (which will include 10
    episodes and will release somewhere in 2014).

The show is based on a very annoyed and skilled Viking, named Ragner Lothbrok, who is played by Travis Fimmel ('Restraint', 'The Experiment').
    His Earl is perhaps not the best example of a true Viking. Many of his people are fed up with the fact that each year the Earl commands they raid to the east, to the lands they know. A safe and easy way, but one that sends them to raid people as poor as they are. Ragner, a farther of two and a loving husband, wants more than just enough money to get his family by. He is tired of it all, and so without gaining the permission of the Earl, he gathers a crew and builds a sturdy ship that will take them West. To a land rumoured of riches and gold.
    But what will happen if he gets more than he bargained for? What if all his actions lead to him becoming.. something far more than just a legend?

I'd say this show is not exactly 'historically accurate', or as accurate as it can get.
    There are some major mistakes that I think are extremely important to correct, and are a big part of the Viking history -like the horned helmets the Vikings wore. That element is forever absent.
    But the actions, or ways, of the Vikings did manage to overlook that issue, and it made the characters and the show seem shockingly real.
    The director/writer gave a fabulous and excellent effort though.

The actors and actresses are brilliant, I think only the best of the best can play in films or tv shows like this one, and these definitely did not disappoint.
    The Vikings are north Germanic people so the actors obviously had to learn their accents and even sometimes bits of another language, and they did it remarkably well. Not once did I hear, or perhaps notice, their accents slip. They were always the same and I just can't believe how outstanding they were!

The cinematographer did a good job with filming, especially during battle scenes (I was actually quite shocked at how realistic the scenes looked). The camera was kept straight, occasionally went a bit all over the place and shaky, but I barely noticed. The music and costumes suited everything perfectly and I was pleased.

Overall, Vikings is a really, really good new historical TV series that I think you will love if you're a fan of Game of Thrones, and movies like Braveheart and Conan The Barbarian.
    Though I highly advice you to at least watch 2-3 episodes to really get into it. The series is also 14+ due to violence and adult content, so if you're uncomfortable with that this is not something for you.
    But I personally love watching things like Vikings and nothing bothered me. The characters are great, and trust me, they will all find their way into your heart before you realize.
  41. Apr 13, 2014
    The dialogues are stale and not memorable. The fighting scenes are cool when you first watch it, but every other battle scene beyond the 1st feels like a repeat of the previous. The plot is pretty annoying, it feels more and more as if the creators are driving the events by "what would be more cool" that'll happen rather than "what would make sense". What's the problem? The problem is that this is not a choice, a good creator would manage to combine the "cool" part with the part that makes sense. The plot suffers from alot of inaccuracy and sometimes characters that are presented "wise" are doing things that are strictly stupid just for the outcome of battles and fake intrigue. (I would give examples but it would spoil alot, find it yourself.)
    There is almost no character background or development. Alot of historical inaccuracy and the added fiction they made was silly(The priests without eyes made me laugh)
    HOWEVER. The show is watchable. It's not a good show that is all.
  42. Jan 15, 2014
    Superb acting from Travis Fimmel. Engaging story lines based upon historical events (though not completely accurate). Tons of fun action scenes. The scenery is beautiful along with the cinematography. Really well produced for a History Channel show. Loved the choices for the actors.
  43. Feb 25, 2014
    Had just recently finished watching Breaking Bad so was a bit down being stuck with the usual bland tv until the Vikings came along.Critics only give this 70 if I had listened to them I wouldn't have watched Breaking Bad an 85 at least.
  44. Mar 15, 2014
    Brilliant series, wish the seasons were longer, but they're still interesting to watch. I was shown one and just didn't stop. I hope, being on the history channel, there is a good amount of historical accuracy to them too, not an area I have studied to know unfortunately.

I've noticed a few reviews suggest this is not a show for people who have watched all of Spartacus or read and
    watched Game of Thrones. I disagree having done both and believe it is ultimately personal opinion whether anyone enjoys this show. The storyline may not be exceptionally intricate, but it has its moments and it is not entirely fantasy, which gives it limitations. Expand
  45. Mar 16, 2014
    Absolutely breathtaking, beautiful and emotional! This series has the highest production value I have ever seen in television, and most films for that matter. The attention to detail is evident in every aspect from the story, direction and acting, to the sets, costumes, effects and cinematography. The camera shots are so visually stunning that I am constantly reminded of Rembrandt's paintings. The character development and motivation is exceptional and the pacing of the story reminds me of how movies use to be made. Every week the hour goes by too quick and leaves me and my wife wanting more. I am also predicting that Travis Fimmel will be a huge star! Who cares if this isn't historically accurate? Read a book if you want the real story. I hope this show continues for many years to come. This show entertains...you will not be disappointed! Expand
  46. Mar 23, 2014
    This show is simply great... The guy whining about how its not factual, get a life dude!
    Rarely are the networks to be applauded, but history hit a home run here and did a damn good job at it.
    Off show topic Black Sail's is another awesome show.. Both shows are, fun gritty and well acted!

So here's to Star's & History Channel ** GOOD JOB GUYS ** =)
  47. Mar 27, 2014
    This is what the history channel is for. I for one simply love this series and had reservations that it could keep pace from last year. Well it has and surpassed expectations. I still believe this would have made a great movie for the big screen along the lines of Braveheart. The roles and the characters are well suited and adapted to this story line and only hope it has no end in the near future. The poor priest /pagan is battling demons since his capture and Lagertha is stunning and Ragnar had better wake up. It is said vikings are brutal but were they really that dissimilar from other nations and their unique customs? Expand
  48. Mar 29, 2014
    The best show currently on tv, has great acting, cool scenography, good and interesting characters and storyline they are doing, enough action, intrigue and religion to keep you wanting more and does not rely on cheap cliffhangers or overt CGI like Dexter or Spartacus. It is also great that it is based on historical recordings of Viking raiding.
  49. Apr 3, 2014
    I really wanted to get into this show. But the more I watch this the more its starting to remind me of those nights in my childhood when my Grandmother HAD to be in front of the TV for "Dallas". Yep! This show is nothing more than Dallas set in the early middle ages. This show should be on the Soap channel, not History.
  50. Apr 6, 2014
    Critics need to get it together, easily the best show on television. The only problem I have is it is on 10 episodes long. I hope it is renewed with twice the number of episodes for season three.
  51. Apr 8, 2014
    Viking i have just began watching it today, but i am on episode 3 of season one and i am proud to say it is wonderful. But i have one thing to say for people reveiwing the shows, please do not have spoilers in the reveiw like ive seen in the reveiws for this show. So far i give this show a 8 because i have only just began but i am already inlove with it. (excuse my grammar, im using my phone and it gets complicated.) Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Mar 7, 2013
    History's first scripted series is a headlong tumble into an irresistible and surprisingly neglected genre. [18 Mar 2013, p.41]
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Mar 4, 2013
    Vikings is at least fun to watch, in a sword-swinging, head-chopping, maiden-despoiling sort of way.
    Hirst cleverly weaves a mystical element into the plot, which pays off with each episode. And he throws in plenty of battle scenes to please bloodthirsty fans.