8.5

1. Oct 9, 2014
    Vikings is a ok fictional history show. problem about it is that some americanskis think when they see somethin like vikings or spartacus they think it is quite authentic. specially in this case when the show runs on history channel. so i need to tell this stuff is full fictional, there are no authentic viking movies cause we got no authentic vikings anymore. quite alright fantasy show however.
  2. Sep 29, 2014
    Finally a series not centered on sex or political,also a great reconstruction of the history.
    wonderful the characters and great the actors,especially Travis Fimmel,Katheryn Winnick,Clive Standen and Gustaf Skarsgard.
    Simply spectacular!
    I love these series,and i wait for the third season!
  3. Sep 29, 2014
    Very interesting stuff. Somewhat ahistoric and anachronistic but very accurate when it comes to the setting (both Norse and Anglo-Saxon). Really enjoyed the unconventional plot twist that grew throughout the second season.
  4. Sep 10, 2014
    Being a Scandinavian and a former history student, this series gives me a headache. It's authenticity is very low and the setting and behaviour of the characters reminds much more of som kind of flimsy dystopian samurai movie. The fact that its mostly filmed in all other places than Scandinavia could contribute to this. This series is an example of bad understanding of norse mentality and understanding of the world at that time. In short; this is a huge let down. Expand
  5. Aug 30, 2014
    All of the problems that others have mentioned about this show is all systemic of 1 major problem. That is, that this show doesn't quite know what it needs to be. It wants to be a gripping historical drama set during the viking age, It wants to have engaging complex characters, and it wants to be brutal and headscratching, and make you think differently about history and your own place in it. However, in trying to be all of that, it ends up none. It has the balls to torture a character, but it imposes its 21st century morality on the thing. Like in the middle of the season there is an episode where a viking raid is being conducted and one of raiders is raping a saxon woman. The viking woman that joined the raid tries to stop him because rape is wrong. Those are not the views of Viking Culture, but it is the views of the egalitarian fairness of the 21st century. It needs to actually delve into and understand Vikings not just the theme park version, but from the little parts, and how they make up the whole. It needs to be that, the same way Rome was or Deadwood was. It needs to take a step back, a deep breath, and have the audacity to show all of these different and interesting characters and put them in a place where we can love them or hate them as we feel they would be, and have them do interesting and thought provoking things. I want to give this show a chance, 1st seasons tend to be rocky, but as it is, it feels rather slapped together. If for nothing else other than the battle scenes, which are fantastic. Expand
  6. Aug 2, 2014
    Vikings is a show about Vikings. Shocking, I know. It opens up strong in the first half of the season, but I'm not so sure about the last parts of the first season plot-wise, so I took a point off. Without saying anything specific, they closed out the first season in a slightly clumsy way. Still, the show is very cool for showing the Scandinavian portion of the middle ages in an accurate-enough way. Without being an expert myself, I didn't notice any obvious flubs. They even play out the language barriers between the Norse and English, which shows normally forget to do in things like this. Recommended. Expand
  7. Jul 28, 2014
    I came to this show looking to learn about real viking culture, I was unpleasantly surprised. This show throws history out the window in an attempt to reel in game of thrones fans, I cant believe its on the history channel. But if you forget about that it becomes a decent show with an interesting theme, great landscape pretty good costumes, and some nice and gory battles. I would recommend this if you don't have anything else to watch and you like game of thrones but don't walk away from this thinking you have learned lots about the vikings because you haven't. Expand
  8. Jul 21, 2014
    A normal series, but has everything to engage: Curious characters, an attractive culture and a progressive storyline. Nevertheless, characters are plain, the plot is unsophisticated and the dialogues are poor.
  9. Jul 9, 2014
    I love Vikings because Historical shows are my favorite genre and I can honestly say it amused me more than Game of Thrones this season (4). Weird, huh? Its still sacrilege to say that out loud in my house.

BUT it does have its faults for being on the History Channel. I feel like a lot of backstory is being lost in the editing room to make time for commercial breaks and so some
    characters (Rollo) are not fully investigated yet play a crucial part in the show. The battle scenes are great though and as a woman, I truly truly enjoyed seeing a love triangle play out with the women being respectful and strong for themselves instead of playing dirty. We need more of that. Expand
  10. Jun 8, 2014
    Pretty dam good show. I was skeptical if i would like it cuz im not really into Norse mythology but i ended up loving this show and wanting to know more about the Norse customs
  11. Jun 6, 2014
    It is like ... or actually my conviction is: Michael Hirst is trying to celebrate every cultures' 'greatness' ...
    And now he is expression my cultures' greatness, legends, mythes and much, much more!

For me! Michael Hirst, and the actors, and the Co. behind ... proving top class "new morden" art!

Deepest respect, if my conviction is true!
  12. May 27, 2014
    Very addictive. It feels very authentic representing the start of Vikings pushing their boats out further afield. The characters are really likeable too .
  13. May 5, 2014
    Vikings, a series to follow and I recommend to all who like this style of historical series. We find ourselves in full viking age and the least we can say is that the costumes, scenery, landscapes and acting is, everything is super good made and the story is really involved. We want to continue to follow the story of Ragnar Lodbrok who is particularly bloody. Really **** up, a superb series do not miss it. Expand
  14. May 4, 2014
    Better than Game of Thrones.
    Compelling writing and story telling combined with superb acting shows it is possible to make such an engrossing and captivating show without a huge budget.
    Travis Fimmel as Ragnar Lothbrok is mesmerizing and the accompanying characters portrayed by great actors are awesome. Floki played by Gustaf SkarsgÄrd is addictive.
    I hope this show carry's on for many
    seasons to come, as it will remain one of my favorites for as long as it runs. Expand
  15. May 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A fictional follow-up of an even more fictional viking called Ragnar, watch him as he goes into high adventure and becomes king by his own head, included are exaggerated characters(99% of the show) with 21st century liberal views of the world, militant feminism(in the sense that even the mythical sagas don't have as many woman warriors that get beaten, bruised and/or killed, as this show) and sexy vikings. Overall interesting to watch and better than most TV series out there. Expand
  16. May 2, 2014
    Vikings is pure entertainment on the history channel. Naysayers that are seeking historical or costume drama perfection fail to enjoy the series for what it is. Entertainment .
  17. Apr 25, 2014
    First I'll talk about history / realism and second I'll talk about the continued white man propaganda.

First Vikings is nothing more than a cheap knock off of Game of Thrones, which is just as badly written. It has no basis in history, reality. This show was a prime opportunity to educate the population about people they know NOTHING about, the vikings. Instead we get a copy of Game of
    Thrones. I get it. The History channel is trying to compete. But there is no rule that says you can't have super engaging writing, with complete historical accuracy.

The story paints vikings as these monolithic, super tactical, monstrous white men, that had perfectly elaborate caste system and government, with millions of Vikings in each city that was apparently connected by cobblestone roads. They also put the stupid feminist agenda usual plot device that women were equal to men, if not even more so, with them killing 300lb 6'7 white men, with nothing more than a butter knife, and a few punches.

If you need to get your female worth from a tv show...

Secondly this is nothing more than the continued white propaganda that is shoved down the world's throat. "ooooh white people are so cool, yet feminists" Scandinavian countries boast the largest population today, than at any time in history. What's the average population of Scandinavian countries today? 300,000 each. So literally the largest Viking "city" was nothing more than a hamlet with 500 people in it. And women were not equal to men.

Humans cannot treat women as equals. The very instance humans treat women as equally as men, it means that women start dying 10 years earlier than they do now, female infant mortality raises, female child death raises, female young adult death raises, female criminal death raises, child rearing stops.

The Vikings did not treat their women equally. No historical society ever treated women equally. Because women bear the children of humans. If the human race is to survive, women have to be protected and not treated equal to men.

Had Vikings treated their women equally, there would be empty lands north of Germany, today.

This show is not just bad to watch, but will put bad information into anyone that watches it. You come away thinking that you now know "something" about an old human culture. In fact, there were not giant white men, who were warlike, that conquered organized people.

In reality, given all the history of the european white man, the French were far scarier and dominating and organized than any other nation or people on the european continent. And, that's excluding the Napoleon era.

Avoid this show at all costs.
  18. Apr 13, 2014
    The dialogues are stale and not memorable. The fighting scenes are cool when you first watch it, but every other battle scene beyond the 1st feels like a repeat of the previous. The plot is pretty annoying, it feels more and more as if the creators are driving the events by "what would be more cool" that'll happen rather than "what would make sense". What's the problem? The problem is that this is not a choice, a good creator would manage to combine the "cool" part with the part that makes sense. The plot suffers from alot of inaccuracy and sometimes characters that are presented "wise" are doing things that are strictly stupid just for the outcome of battles and fake intrigue. (I would give examples but it would spoil alot, find it yourself.)
    There is almost no character background or development. Alot of historical inaccuracy and the added fiction they made was silly(The priests without eyes made me laugh)
    HOWEVER. The show is watchable. It's not a good show that is all.
  19. Apr 8, 2014
    Viking i have just began watching it today, but i am on episode 3 of season one and i am proud to say it is wonderful. But i have one thing to say for people reveiwing the shows, please do not have spoilers in the reveiw like ive seen in the reveiws for this show. So far i give this show a 8 because i have only just began but i am already inlove with it. (excuse my grammar, im using my phone and it gets complicated.) Expand
  20. Apr 6, 2014
    Critics need to get it together, easily the best show on television. The only problem I have is it is on 10 episodes long. I hope it is renewed with twice the number of episodes for season three.
  21. Apr 3, 2014
    I really wanted to get into this show. But the more I watch this the more its starting to remind me of those nights in my childhood when my Grandmother HAD to be in front of the TV for "Dallas". Yep! This show is nothing more than Dallas set in the early middle ages. This show should be on the Soap channel, not History.
  22. Mar 29, 2014
    The best show currently on tv, has great acting, cool scenography, good and interesting characters and storyline they are doing, enough action, intrigue and religion to keep you wanting more and does not rely on cheap cliffhangers or overt CGI like Dexter or Spartacus. It is also great that it is based on historical recordings of Viking raiding.
  23. Mar 27, 2014
    This is what the history channel is for. I for one simply love this series and had reservations that it could keep pace from last year. Well it has and surpassed expectations. I still believe this would have made a great movie for the big screen along the lines of Braveheart. The roles and the characters are well suited and adapted to this story line and only hope it has no end in the near future. The poor priest /pagan is battling demons since his capture and Lagertha is stunning and Ragnar had better wake up. It is said vikings are brutal but were they really that dissimilar from other nations and their unique customs? Expand
  24. Mar 23, 2014
    This show is simply great... The guy whining about how its not factual, get a life dude!
    Rarely are the networks to be applauded, but history hit a home run here and did a damn good job at it.
    Off show topic Black Sail's is another awesome show.. Both shows are, fun gritty and well acted!

So here's to Star's & History Channel ** GOOD JOB GUYS ** =)
  25. Mar 16, 2014
    Absolutely breathtaking, beautiful and emotional! This series has the highest production value I have ever seen in television, and most films for that matter. The attention to detail is evident in every aspect from the story, direction and acting, to the sets, costumes, effects and cinematography. The camera shots are so visually stunning that I am constantly reminded of Rembrandt's paintings. The character development and motivation is exceptional and the pacing of the story reminds me of how movies use to be made. Every week the hour goes by too quick and leaves me and my wife wanting more. I am also predicting that Travis Fimmel will be a huge star! Who cares if this isn't historically accurate? Read a book if you want the real story. I hope this show continues for many years to come. This show entertains...you will not be disappointed! Expand
  26. Mar 15, 2014
    Brilliant series, wish the seasons were longer, but they're still interesting to watch. I was shown one and just didn't stop. I hope, being on the history channel, there is a good amount of historical accuracy to them too, not an area I have studied to know unfortunately.

I've noticed a few reviews suggest this is not a show for people who have watched all of Spartacus or read and
    watched Game of Thrones. I disagree having done both and believe it is ultimately personal opinion whether anyone enjoys this show. The storyline may not be exceptionally intricate, but it has its moments and it is not entirely fantasy, which gives it limitations. Expand
  27. Feb 25, 2014
    Had just recently finished watching Breaking Bad so was a bit down being stuck with the usual bland tv until the Vikings came along.Critics only give this 70 if I had listened to them I wouldn't have watched Breaking Bad an 85 at least.
  28. Jan 15, 2014
    Superb acting from Travis Fimmel. Engaging story lines based upon historical events (though not completely accurate). Tons of fun action scenes. The scenery is beautiful along with the cinematography. Really well produced for a History Channel show. Loved the choices for the actors.
  29. Oct 12, 2013
    Vikings is a historical drama and adventure TV series directed and written by Michael Hirst ('The Tudors','Elizabeth'), for the television channel History.
    It premiered on March 3rd 2013, with 6.21 million U.S viewers for the first episode 'Rites of Passage'. It currently has a full one season, that includes nine 42-44 minutes episodes, and season 2 in process (which will include 10
    episodes and will release somewhere in 2014).

The show is based on a very annoyed and skilled Viking, named Ragner Lothbrok, who is played by Travis Fimmel ('Restraint', 'The Experiment').
    His Earl is perhaps not the best example of a true Viking. Many of his people are fed up with the fact that each year the Earl commands they raid to the east, to the lands they know. A safe and easy way, but one that sends them to raid people as poor as they are. Ragner, a farther of two and a loving husband, wants more than just enough money to get his family by. He is tired of it all, and so without gaining the permission of the Earl, he gathers a crew and builds a sturdy ship that will take them West. To a land rumoured of riches and gold.
    But what will happen if he gets more than he bargained for? What if all his actions lead to him becoming.. something far more than just a legend?

I'd say this show is not exactly 'historically accurate', or as accurate as it can get.
    There are some major mistakes that I think are extremely important to correct, and are a big part of the Viking history -like the horned helmets the Vikings wore. That element is forever absent.
    But the actions, or ways, of the Vikings did manage to overlook that issue, and it made the characters and the show seem shockingly real.
    The director/writer gave a fabulous and excellent effort though.

The actors and actresses are brilliant, I think only the best of the best can play in films or tv shows like this one, and these definitely did not disappoint.
    The Vikings are north Germanic people so the actors obviously had to learn their accents and even sometimes bits of another language, and they did it remarkably well. Not once did I hear, or perhaps notice, their accents slip. They were always the same and I just can't believe how outstanding they were!

The cinematographer did a good job with filming, especially during battle scenes (I was actually quite shocked at how realistic the scenes looked). The camera was kept straight, occasionally went a bit all over the place and shaky, but I barely noticed. The music and costumes suited everything perfectly and I was pleased.

Overall, Vikings is a really, really good new historical TV series that I think you will love if you're a fan of Game of Thrones, and movies like Braveheart and Conan The Barbarian.
    Though I highly advice you to at least watch 2-3 episodes to really get into it. The series is also 14+ due to violence and adult content, so if you're uncomfortable with that this is not something for you.
    But I personally love watching things like Vikings and nothing bothered me. The characters are great, and trust me, they will all find their way into your heart before you realize.
  30. Sep 26, 2013
    This show caught my interest shortly before it premiered, and I was intrigued to see whether or not it would provide an at least semi-accurate portrayal of the culture to which I trace my heritage. To say I was not disappointed is an understatement I was blown away! This is one of the most intelligently put-together combinations of historical fact with semi-fictional story-telling. Not only does this show do traditional Viking culture more justice than any previous cinematic attempts, it also stays stunningly true to the legendary stories surrounding its central characters (ie Ragnar Lodbrok, Rollo, Lagertha, among others). It is entirely possible that this show holds little for those who are not at all interested in Viking culture or society, but I know for myself that it instantly shot to the top of my 'hardcore fan' list. For me, the immersion and perfect atmosphere that this show provides is incomparable and that goes a LONG way. I can safely say that History Channel has done the Norsemen proud. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Mar 7, 2013
    History's first scripted series is a headlong tumble into an irresistible and surprisingly neglected genre. [18 Mar 2013, p.41]
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Mar 4, 2013
    Vikings is at least fun to watch, in a sword-swinging, head-chopping, maiden-despoiling sort of way.
    Hirst cleverly weaves a mystical element into the plot, which pays off with each episode. And he throws in plenty of battle scenes to please bloodthirsty fans.