8.5

1. Apr 6, 2013
    Vikings came out of nowhere and has shot to the top of my favorites list. It has gorgeous cinematography, characters with substance, and plots that are perfectly paced and gripping to watch. It's so good immersive and even relaxing to watch at times. I'm so glad it's been renewed for a second season. It transports me to another time and place after a hard day at work like no other show I've watched in a long time. If you haven't seen it yet you are missing out! Expand
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Awesome, pure awesome. This is why we watch History Channel. This is no doubt their best docudrama since Hatfields and Mccoys. Trust me, you should watch it immediately.
  3. May 2, 2014
    Vikings is pure entertainment on the history channel. Naysayers that are seeking historical or costume drama perfection fail to enjoy the series for what it is. Entertainment .
  4. Jul 20, 2013
    Great show, with political intrigue, with great historical settings and environments. The fighting is top notch as well, and veers away from the common, and flawed, hollywood perception of bettles consisting of countless individual duels. Overall, one of my favorite shows! Can't wait for season 2!!!
  5. Mar 12, 2013
    History presented this way is awesome! I really like how they managed to bring the Vikings, their families and their beliefs back to life. It let people get more familiar with our human roots, how people who had to "set sails" for new shores influenced at least the whole Europe and the middle east. Even for those who are not interested in history, it is a must watch. No fantasy. Just saga.
  6. Mar 12, 2013
    This is not Game of thrones this is something else a real attempt to make at TV-show of early Vikings. I think after two episodes they succeeded its a great show trying to be true to its time. Good story great casting, dirty and pagan as it should be with Asatro. The Vikings were the true explorers of America and great tradesmen as explorers. Go see it, we do in Scandinavia
  7. Mar 12, 2013
    This is a great first show from History channel. The acting is great, the scenes are awesome, the plot fantastic, and knowing it is made by he History channel one can trust its content. I could only image what it would be like on a prem cable channel. Still a fantastic show!
  8. Mar 19, 2013
    An interesting mix of drama and history, that seems to well illustrate the differences between these ancient pagan warriors beliefs and modern day morals. The plot is nothing radical, but its solid, well written and well acted add in some beautiful scenery and a little action and your onto a winner.
  9. Mar 21, 2013
    vikings is yet one of the amazing series of this year the scenario is different then our typical series thing that made me love it more is how women are treated the same in battle field where they can fight and protect themselves death blood glory
  10. Apr 1, 2013
    Simply an awesome series with a great story line and plot. The one hour time slot flies by. Cant wait for Sunday night now. This would have made a great movie along the lines of Braveheart for the big screen. Also 1 more thing great acting
  11. Apr 8, 2013
    Vikings has proven to be a fairly solid entry into scripted television and while it has been slow getting it's footing, it's truly hitting it's stride.
  12. Apr 14, 2013
    I adore this new show, The Vikings. It makes you learn some history and the scenery is gorgeous. Also, love the cast! Travis Trimmel is wonderful as Ragnor and his wife is a fierce warrior. It transports you back into the 8th-11th centuries of Viking existence and reign.
  13. Apr 27, 2013
    Displays history with drama and shows how they live and how determine they were to succeed in there endeavors. Gorgeous landscapes feels so inviting it draws you in..
  14. May 21, 2013
    One word for this series, WOW! I honestly cant get enough and have watched each episode more than twice. For the creators, cast and crew AWESOME job! Keep up the great work I look forward to many more seasons One can HOPE) good luck!
  15. Sep 26, 2013
    This show caught my interest shortly before it premiered, and I was intrigued to see whether or not it would provide an at least semi-accurate portrayal of the culture to which I trace my heritage. To say I was not disappointed is an understatement I was blown away! This is one of the most intelligently put-together combinations of historical fact with semi-fictional story-telling. Not only does this show do traditional Viking culture more justice than any previous cinematic attempts, it also stays stunningly true to the legendary stories surrounding its central characters (ie Ragnar Lodbrok, Rollo, Lagertha, among others). It is entirely possible that this show holds little for those who are not at all interested in Viking culture or society, but I know for myself that it instantly shot to the top of my 'hardcore fan' list. For me, the immersion and perfect atmosphere that this show provides is incomparable and that goes a LONG way. I can safely say that History Channel has done the Norsemen proud. Expand
  16. Jan 15, 2014
    Superb acting from Travis Fimmel. Engaging story lines based upon historical events (though not completely accurate). Tons of fun action scenes. The scenery is beautiful along with the cinematography. Really well produced for a History Channel show. Loved the choices for the actors.
  17. Feb 25, 2014
    Had just recently finished watching Breaking Bad so was a bit down being stuck with the usual bland tv until the Vikings came along.Critics only give this 70 if I had listened to them I wouldn't have watched Breaking Bad an 85 at least.
  18. Mar 15, 2014
    Brilliant series, wish the seasons were longer, but they're still interesting to watch. I was shown one and just didn't stop. I hope, being on the history channel, there is a good amount of historical accuracy to them too, not an area I have studied to know unfortunately.

I've noticed a few reviews suggest this is not a show for people who have watched all of Spartacus or read and
    watched Game of Thrones. I disagree having done both and believe it is ultimately personal opinion whether anyone enjoys this show. The storyline may not be exceptionally intricate, but it has its moments and it is not entirely fantasy, which gives it limitations. Expand
  19. Mar 16, 2014
    Absolutely breathtaking, beautiful and emotional! This series has the highest production value I have ever seen in television, and most films for that matter. The attention to detail is evident in every aspect from the story, direction and acting, to the sets, costumes, effects and cinematography. The camera shots are so visually stunning that I am constantly reminded of Rembrandt's paintings. The character development and motivation is exceptional and the pacing of the story reminds me of how movies use to be made. Every week the hour goes by too quick and leaves me and my wife wanting more. I am also predicting that Travis Fimmel will be a huge star! Who cares if this isn't historically accurate? Read a book if you want the real story. I hope this show continues for many years to come. This show entertains...you will not be disappointed! Expand
  20. Mar 23, 2014
    This show is simply great... The guy whining about how its not factual, get a life dude!
    Rarely are the networks to be applauded, but history hit a home run here and did a damn good job at it.
    Off show topic Black Sail's is another awesome show.. Both shows are, fun gritty and well acted!

So here's to Star's & History Channel ** GOOD JOB GUYS ** =)
  21. Mar 27, 2014
    This is what the history channel is for. I for one simply love this series and had reservations that it could keep pace from last year. Well it has and surpassed expectations. I still believe this would have made a great movie for the big screen along the lines of Braveheart. The roles and the characters are well suited and adapted to this story line and only hope it has no end in the near future. The poor priest /pagan is battling demons since his capture and Lagertha is stunning and Ragnar had better wake up. It is said vikings are brutal but were they really that dissimilar from other nations and their unique customs? Expand
  22. Mar 29, 2014
    The best show currently on tv, has great acting, cool scenography, good and interesting characters and storyline they are doing, enough action, intrigue and religion to keep you wanting more and does not rely on cheap cliffhangers or overt CGI like Dexter or Spartacus. It is also great that it is based on historical recordings of Viking raiding.
  23. Apr 6, 2014
    Critics need to get it together, easily the best show on television. The only problem I have is it is on 10 episodes long. I hope it is renewed with twice the number of episodes for season three.
  24. May 4, 2014
    Better than Game of Thrones.
    Compelling writing and story telling combined with superb acting shows it is possible to make such an engrossing and captivating show without a huge budget.
    Travis Fimmel as Ragnar Lothbrok is mesmerizing and the accompanying characters portrayed by great actors are awesome. Floki played by Gustaf SkarsgÄrd is addictive.
    I hope this show carry's on for many
    seasons to come, as it will remain one of my favorites for as long as it runs. Expand
  25. May 5, 2014
    Vikings, a series to follow and I recommend to all who like this style of historical series. We find ourselves in full viking age and the least we can say is that the costumes, scenery, landscapes and acting is, everything is super good made and the story is really involved. We want to continue to follow the story of Ragnar Lodbrok who is particularly bloody. Really **** up, a superb series do not miss it. Expand
  26. Jun 6, 2014
    It is like ... or actually my conviction is: Michael Hirst is trying to celebrate every cultures' 'greatness' ...
    And now he is expression my cultures' greatness, legends, mythes and much, much more!

For me! Michael Hirst, and the actors, and the Co. behind ... proving top class "new morden" art!

Deepest respect, if my conviction is true!
  27. Sep 29, 2014
    Finally a series not centered on sex or political,also a great reconstruction of the history.
    wonderful the characters and great the actors,especially Travis Fimmel,Katheryn Winnick,Clive Standen and Gustaf Skarsgard.
    Simply spectacular!
    I love these series,and i wait for the third season!
  28. Jun 8, 2014
    Pretty dam good show. I was skeptical if i would like it cuz im not really into Norse mythology but i ended up loving this show and wanting to know more about the Norse customs
  29. Mar 29, 2013
    With every episode the show gets better and better. The attention to detail and historical accuracy is rather incredible. Vikings is easily one of the best shows on television right now. Cast and crew are doing an amazing job. Especially Travis Fimmel whose shoulders the show rests on. Four episodes in and I'd call myself a big fan. And lastly there is no need to compare it to Rome or Game of Thrones because Vikings stands tall on its own two legs. Can't wait to see where the shows writers take the show. Expand
  30. May 15, 2013
    Instead of a review, I'll do a comparison: If you loved The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, you're really, really, really, really going to enjoy this. The scenery is ABSOLUTELY beautiful and the production values are very high. I still can't believe I'd never heard of it before last week, the advertisement campaign for this was definitely underfunded.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Mar 7, 2013
    History's first scripted series is a headlong tumble into an irresistible and surprisingly neglected genre. [18 Mar 2013, p.41]
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Mar 4, 2013
    Vikings is at least fun to watch, in a sword-swinging, head-chopping, maiden-despoiling sort of way.
    Hirst cleverly weaves a mystical element into the plot, which pays off with each episode. And he throws in plenty of battle scenes to please bloodthirsty fans.