Virtuality

• Series Premiere Date: Jun 26, 2009
8.3

1. LaurieO.
    Jul 7, 2009
    Had this DVRd so watched it 2 days after it was on assuming it was the beginning of a series. I wish I checked it out first as I really enjoyed it and especially after that ending hoped that it would continue. The music was great, the
  2. WalterG.
    Jul 3, 2009
    The pop-philosophy of the Matrix recouched in terms of the sometimes-rogue holodeck from Star Trek? The reality TV angle signals that the writers are taking Baudrillard more seriously than the Wachowski brothers did. Like almost all television, it wasn't incredibly original, but I got the sense that it was trying--and it has enough interest, polish, talent, and even social sense that The pop-philosophy of the Matrix recouched in terms of the sometimes-rogue holodeck from Star Trek? The reality TV angle signals that the writers are taking Baudrillard more seriously than the Wachowski brothers did. Like almost all television, it wasn't incredibly original, but I got the sense that it was trying--and it has enough interest, polish, talent, and even social sense that I sincerely hope it gets picked up as a serial. Expand
  3. EricW
    Aug 1, 2009
    Any time you're dealing with "holo-deck"-type technology it opens the story up to limitless possibilities. I enjoyed this pilot and hope someone decides to pick it up and make some episodes.
  4. NicholasL.
    Jun 26, 2009
    This show should be picked up. The writing and directing are top notch with naturalistic performance and very few false notes. The layers of intrigue established in the pilot promise sufficient suff for a series. "Lost" had a challenging storyline but drew a huge audience. So too could Virtuality.
  5. LM
    Jun 27, 2009
    A very smart, thought-provoking sci-fi drama that avoids the cheap and easy traps this type of show might fall into. I dare to hope the near impossible: that this show gets picked up by FOX or another network.
  6. Muldfeld
    Jun 30, 2009
    The best thing Fox has put together since The X-Files and Season 1 of Millennium. The acting is terrific (especially the psychologist, the second-in-command, and the male pilot who misses his son), and there's plenty of texture. I enjoyed this much more upon second viewing. The reality TV element upset me at first, but I think I could get used to it. It's such a relief to see The best thing Fox has put together since The X-Files and Season 1 of Millennium. The acting is terrific (especially the psychologist, the second-in-command, and the male pilot who misses his son), and there's plenty of texture. I enjoyed this much more upon second viewing. The reality TV element upset me at first, but I think I could get used to it. It's such a relief to see something ambitious rather than the usual drivel people fawn over, such as all that commercial formula put out by J.J. Abrams and his cynical colleagues who continue to saturate the market in TV and cinema. Expand
  7. PW.
    Jul 12, 2009
    Why doesn't this show go to series. It deserves at least one season test.
  8. JoshuaE.
    Jul 19, 2009
    An incredibly compelling made for TV production, Virtuality has a similar vibe to Sunshine and an infinite amount of great directions the story could take. Apparently, it won't go anywhere past this 2 hour pilot, which is a crying shame, because this could have been the best thing to happen to TV since Lost. Excellent!
  9. EliasC.
    Jul 2, 2009
    From those Battlestar Galactica guys comes a superior SF tale expertly directled that raises many unanswered questions. This above average Sci-fi TV movie in-explicitly appears on Fox with little fanfare and broadcast during the usually dead Friday night summer time slot. Why? This film is actually a pilot for a SF series that Fox did not pick up. Too bad. This film looks like another From those Battlestar Galactica guys comes a superior SF tale expertly directled that raises many unanswered questions. This above average Sci-fi TV movie in-explicitly appears on Fox with little fanfare and broadcast during the usually dead Friday night summer time slot. Why? This film is actually a pilot for a SF series that Fox did not pick up. Too bad. This film looks like another Battlestar Galactica. Expand
  10. Rob
    Jun 26, 2009
    The pilot was lackluster and unoriginal. Let's hope it goes uphill from here.
  11. BrandonS.
    Jun 27, 2009
    As a stand-alone film, it's far too flawed and open-ended. As a pilot to a series, it's a slam dunk. Come on, FOX, make it happen.

The different elements hang together as a nicely faceted whole--until the final minutes, that is. Ultimately neither movie nor series, neither beginning nor end, Virtuality is a flight with no destiny.
    So is this complex and intriguing film worth watching, knowing that the questions that percolate through it will likely never be answered? The answer is yes, if you’re a sci-fi buff and/or a fan of the show’s creators, Ronald D. Moore and Michael Taylor, who are veterans of the acclaimed “Battlestar Galactica.”
  3. This drama from Battlestar Galactica's Ron Moore about quarreling astronauts on a 10-year mission boasts an interesting cast (including Clea DuVall) and an Alien-invoking vibe (if no aliens).