• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Aug 7, 2005
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
6.2

1. Jun 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The biggest problem I had with this season was that it ultimately didn't need to happen. Last seasons finale concluded the Botwin story, Nancy goes to jail and the rest of the family goes to Denmark, done right?. No, Nancy had to come back, and as much as I love Nancy and MLP she didn't need to. The whole series started (really the first 4 seasons) because Nancy needed to sell weed so that she could provide money for her family. The boys were too young to work, she was a widow and they lived in a really expensive neighbourhood and there was a large market for her to exploit. So she was doing all of that for her kids, which is something we can relate to and empathize with her. Now in season 7 the boys live in Denmark, they have their own life, they're making money, life is going well for them. So when they start back up the business, it feel more like she it doing it because she that's the only thing she knows how to do. She's not doing it for her kids anymore and at one point she goes against her child, Silas. We can no longer empathize with her actions. All that being said, they made the season and it was......satisfactory to ok. The writing was the main problem for me, especially some of Andy's speeches which dragged on way longer then they should have. Also I lever really liked Doug, I think Kevin Nealon is a good comedian but never liked the character. I always found him to be excessively rude and unaware of his surroundings. So every time he was in a scene I just felt bored. None of the characters developed (except for really only Silas). Also the stories were pretty boring. And what happened to Michelle Trachtenberg in the end? How did Doug save the company? How did enrolling in the police academy help Shane? A lot of things were left open and you have to just accept. There were some good aspects of this season. It's been really fun to see Alexander Gould and Hunter Parrish grow and develop their talent, and this season you can see it. They could both hold their own while acting up against MLP, who plays Nancy perfectly as always (I would just have liked to see better writing for her). The finale didn't really feel like a finale except for the last few minutes, it had the normal cliffhanger that any season finale would have. But again I felt like there was a problem with the writing. The resolution just happened, Andy talked to Nancy's sister and voilà every this is resolved and skip to two months later. I thought: Nancy spent a whole season fighting to get custody of Stevie, she turned on one of her sons, another one almost went to jail and she spent a whole episode arguing with her sister and Andy can just come up with a compromise and they become neighbours. If she was willing to do that, why didn't the two sisters just talk at the beginning of the season and come to some kind of compromise. Anyway I've stopped watching this show for its smart writing, I only watch it now out of loyalty and because I think MLP looks sexier than ever. I will no doubt watch the next season because of the cliffhanger and because I love the characters. But I'm happy that season 8 will be the last, hopefully they will get the last season they deserve. 5.9/10. Expand
  2. Aug 13, 2011
    It's alright. That's it. The **** Nancy gets into is kind of now getting annoying.The first few seasons, even the first season in Ren Mar, Nancy was a widow trying to find a source of income to keep a family afloat -- by selling weed. But now it's just, I don't know, it's no longer the best show on television.

1. Reviewed by: Lesley Savage
    Jul 27, 2011
    Mercifully, it seems as if tonight's episode will plant the seeds for a rebirth.
  2. Reviewed by: Verne Gay
    Jun 27, 2011
    It feels fresh and amusing. "True Blood" did a similar fast-forward, and both have benefited.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Jun 27, 2011
    Tonight's episode feels like a reset, a fresh start for the characters but if they just lapse back into their old ways, I'm not sure what the point of another season of this show will be. And yet, if they do not return to selling drugs, some viewers may be disappointed.