Whitney : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 22, 2011
Season #: 1, 2
4.5

1. Dec 3, 2012
    I really enjoyed this show last season. I read reviews and was hoping the show could stick around for a second season. The first few episodes of season 2 are pretty bad. Something seems off with Whitney Cummings. This is not the same character from last season. Her acting seems forced at times and reminds me of the character Roxanne. It is as if Whitney Cummings forgot how to act andI really enjoyed this show last season. I read reviews and was hoping the show could stick around for a second season. The first few episodes of season 2 are pretty bad. Something seems off with Whitney Cummings. This is not the same character from last season. Her acting seems forced at times and reminds me of the character Roxanne. It is as if Whitney Cummings forgot how to act and is copying Rhea Seehorn's acting style.
    I just hope she pulls it together and gets rid of the terrible hair extensions.
  2. Aug 10, 2012
    Although periodically funny and sometimes does pack a good gut punching laugh, Whitney is a dry comedy where the jokes are lame and the acting is verging on mediocre. Whitney Cummings is a talented comic, but this show is simply a flop.
  3. Jan 16, 2012
    This isn't the worst show in the world, but it tries way too hard, and the jokes are unnatural. I can see people who really like old-school sitcoms digging this, but I don't think it has the charm of something like Friends.
  4. Zal
    Jan 11, 2012
    This is one of those shows that has good ideas but the execution is poor. I'm not a fan of Whitney Cummings. I've seen her stand up and I don't think she's very good. But from the previews, this show looked like it would be very funny. It wasn't. At least, not that much. Okay, it has its moments. I liked the silent treatment episode. But for the most part, it's good concept gone wrong.This is one of those shows that has good ideas but the execution is poor. I'm not a fan of Whitney Cummings. I've seen her stand up and I don't think she's very good. But from the previews, this show looked like it would be very funny. It wasn't. At least, not that much. Okay, it has its moments. I liked the silent treatment episode. But for the most part, it's good concept gone wrong. Everything seems so forced in this show. If there were some talented people behind this, this could have been good. Alas, it's pretty dull, which sucks because it has some good ideas. I've stopped watching it for now. I might give it another try in the future. Collapse
  5. Sep 30, 2011
    Whitney is a funny woman, but this show does not in any way represent how hilarious she is. Her writing and acting is not as good as it should be, and I would be surprised to see this show get another season.
  6. Sep 27, 2011
    Based on all of the advertising this show made a lot of promises but didn't deliver. The fake live audience feel made this show come off as being from the 80s and not in a good way. I'll try a few more episodes but was definitely unimpressed.
  7. Sep 24, 2011
    Both of Whitney's comedies (2 Broke Girls is the other one) seem to suffer from the same ailment of trying to be too smart. These problems often solve themselves as the writers and cast settle into the production. I'm going to withhold judgement until I can digest a few episodes.
  8. Sep 22, 2011
    Whitney Cummings is herself both funny and pretty. Her boyfriend Chris D'Elia is a great straight man and funny in his own right. The problem is that the supporting cast are simply not very impressive. Of course, it might help if the supporting characters themselves weren't written as simple caricatures. There's the playboy who thinks no man can be faithful. There's the divorcee drinkingWhitney Cummings is herself both funny and pretty. Her boyfriend Chris D'Elia is a great straight man and funny in his own right. The problem is that the supporting cast are simply not very impressive. Of course, it might help if the supporting characters themselves weren't written as simple caricatures. There's the playboy who thinks no man can be faithful. There's the divorcee drinking herself into oblivion. There's the overly happy couple. There's even the bitter, nagging mother. The premise is fine and the leads are great, but they really need to do away with the supporting characters and introduce some who are more interesting! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Dec 8, 2011
    The problem is that Whitney is a terrible show, though in ways that resonate with our culture's debates about women and humor.
  2. Reviewed by: Mikey O'Connell
    Sep 23, 2011
    Instead of an entertaining half-hour to ease our wait for the return of "30 Rock," the network has given us another "Outsourced."
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Sep 22, 2011
    Eventually the mood relaxes, even as the slapstick amps up, and what may prove to be a charming comedy begins to emerge.