• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 22, 2011
  • Season #: 1 , 2
4.5

1. Sep 25, 2011
    Just seems really forced. It looked alright in the commercials, but the studio audience laughing makes it too much. I don't see this as a winning show. Pass.
  2. Sep 30, 2011
    Whitney is a funny woman, but this show does not in any way represent how hilarious she is. Her writing and acting is not as good as it should be, and I would be surprised to see this show get another season.
  3. Sep 23, 2011
    Went in with an open mind, but truly hated the title character. Whitney is very, very annoying, no more, and no less. The writing was pedestrian. Pass!
  4. Sep 24, 2011
    Both of Whitney's comedies (2 Broke Girls is the other one) seem to suffer from the same ailment of trying to be too smart. These problems often solve themselves as the writers and cast settle into the production. I'm going to withhold judgement until I can digest a few episodes.
  5. Oct 14, 2011
    Wow, I never thought I would care about characters as little as do for the people on this show. The characters, multi-camera set up/laugh track do not belong on NBC's Thursday. Put this garbage on CBS where it belongs!
  6. Sep 29, 2011
    I really like Whitney Cummings' stand up and specials. I've heard her on many of my favorite podcasts and enjoyed her on the late night shows. I like her show "Two Broke Girls" though she doesn't act in it.

All that said, this show is TERRIBLE! I have no idea what happened here but this is likely the worst show on prime time TV. I doubt it will last much longer.
  7. Sep 24, 2011
    Very cute and fun show. the pilot wasn't perfect but in time it will grow and become really good. Its like a female seinfeld. Dont believe what others say and there is no laugh track(its a live audience) and the laughing makes you feel welcomed into the atmosphere of a sitcom. Its great, just watch it!
  8. Sep 22, 2011
    Whitney Cummings is herself both funny and pretty. Her boyfriend Chris D'Elia is a great straight man and funny in his own right. The problem is that the supporting cast are simply not very impressive. Of course, it might help if the supporting characters themselves weren't written as simple caricatures. There's the playboy who thinks no man can be faithful. There's the divorcee drinkingWhitney Cummings is herself both funny and pretty. Her boyfriend Chris D'Elia is a great straight man and funny in his own right. The problem is that the supporting cast are simply not very impressive. Of course, it might help if the supporting characters themselves weren't written as simple caricatures. There's the playboy who thinks no man can be faithful. There's the divorcee drinking herself into oblivion. There's the overly happy couple. There's even the bitter, nagging mother. The premise is fine and the leads are great, but they really need to do away with the supporting characters and introduce some who are more interesting! Expand
  9. Owl
    Sep 23, 2011
    As for the pilot, the relationships seemed forced and there was a lack of chemistry between the lead characters. Too many "easy" sex jokes. I wanted to like this show, but watching was kind of cringy. It is hard to watch an attractive girl like Whitney act like she is oblivious that she is good looking. It's just a bit ridiculous.I liked the secondary characters best, a couple that isAs for the pilot, the relationships seemed forced and there was a lack of chemistry between the lead characters. Too many "easy" sex jokes. I wanted to like this show, but watching was kind of cringy. It is hard to watch an attractive girl like Whitney act like she is oblivious that she is good looking. It's just a bit ridiculous.I liked the secondary characters best, a couple that is friends with Whitney. At least they were a little original. I won't be tuning into this one. Expand
  10. Sep 27, 2011
    In one word...terrible, this is a real turkey! Its the type of comedy that will have you crying, the jokes are stale, acting is wooden, the main characters are unlikable. I usually give everything a chance but after 10 minutes it was time to pull the plug! Worst show of the season by far.
  11. Sep 27, 2011
    Based on all of the advertising this show made a lot of promises but didn't deliver. The fake live audience feel made this show come off as being from the 80s and not in a good way. I'll try a few more episodes but was definitely unimpressed.
  12. Oct 11, 2011
    What's truly upsetting with "Whitney" is that Whitney Cummings is a great comedic writer. However, someone had the brilliant idea to put her in front of a camera in a clunky sitcom with an uncomfortable "live audience" awkwardly laughing too loud at jokes that clearly seem forced and dry. Whitney Cummings is great when roasting, great as a stand-up comedienne, great as a writer, butWhat's truly upsetting with "Whitney" is that Whitney Cummings is a great comedic writer. However, someone had the brilliant idea to put her in front of a camera in a clunky sitcom with an uncomfortable "live audience" awkwardly laughing too loud at jokes that clearly seem forced and dry. Whitney Cummings is great when roasting, great as a stand-up comedienne, great as a writer, but terrible as a comedic actress. The best punchlines, bumpers, and laugh-tracks in the world couldn't save this sinking shipwreck. Sorry, Whitney, but "Whitney" is doomed. Expand
  13. Sep 30, 2011
    I like Whitney as a comedian, but this show SUCKS. Seriously. Take this off and give the timeslot to Parks and Recreation, which is the best show on television.
  14. Oct 6, 2011
    The absolute worst. So contrived. This show would be edgy if it was still 1993. How these overpaid, unoriginal executives still green light this tripe in a world where shows like The Office, Always Sunny, Modern Family exist is a ponderous mystery. Enjoy the next 4 weeks Whitney that's about as far in the future I hope the world has to endure this horrorshow.
  15. Nov 10, 2011
    Oh my gosh do I HATE this show. Whitney acts like everything she says is hilarious. The show is not at all funny and the laugh track/live audience is horrendous. If it is a live audience, then they are filled with idiots---probably the very same people who tuned in 2.5 Men every week to laugh at the kid fart. Seriously, this show is BAD---caters to the idiots of America. If you likeOh my gosh do I HATE this show. Whitney acts like everything she says is hilarious. The show is not at all funny and the laugh track/live audience is horrendous. If it is a live audience, then they are filled with idiots---probably the very same people who tuned in 2.5 Men every week to laugh at the kid fart. Seriously, this show is BAD---caters to the idiots of America. If you like unoriginal jokes that a teenage kid could write and like to be hit over the head and be told when to laugh, you will like Whitney. Expand
  16. Feb 11, 2012
    So NBC, why do you choose to torment the only people that actually care to tune in to your network with such drivel? There's no reason for half of the episode to consist of a laugh track to drown out the horribly unfunny "comedy." Just take it off the air already.
  17. Oct 20, 2011
    Whats with all the negative reviews? You people must have a very dull sense of humour if you don't find this show funny. I mean it can be dull at times but 95% of the show is flat-out hilarious. I hope this show lasts because it is definite a perfect followup after the office. NBC thursdays just got alot more funny.
  18. Nov 11, 2011
    Whitney is laugh out loud funny. The first few episodes were a bit slow, but episodes 3-7 have been hilarious. Episodes 5, 6, and 7 had me having to pause the DVR because I was laughing so hard. Give this show a chance! It is risque, suggestive, and often down right dirty, but thoroughly enjoyable.
  19. Dec 9, 2011
    'Whitney' might just be the second worst show of 2011, as first place is taken by 'How to Be a Gentleman'.

Whitney Cummings, is beautiful and a very talented comedienne. But she is a bad actress, and her portrayal of her character in this sitcom isn't very "likable"... Terrible writing, bad acting, even worse jokes and lame laugh track... NBC usually do not carry laugh track shows...

NBC usually do not carry laugh track shows... but instead usually carry well written shows that emphasizes on quality scripts and acting. 'Whitney' doesn't fit in to that category.
  20. Sep 22, 2011
    I felt uncomfortable watching this show. The characters are forced. Feels like I'm watching the Honeymooners with a too frequent laugh track. Why can't NBC make quality shows anymore?!
  21. Sep 27, 2011
    I think everyone decided they would like the new girl and not whitney before they saw the shows.......ive only seen both pilots but this was much better.....both trying to be liz lemon.
  22. Apr 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Good show. While loving the two main characters the entire ensemble seems to work well but lacking that something that would bring them together as a gang (look at Friends and How I Met Your Mother). It feels like "him & his friends" vs "her & her friends" which while more realistic, it escapes the format probably causing a bit of unease to the viewer. Recently the characters' relations have changed which if not dealt with carefully could lead to actors having to leave the show otherwise risking making it unbelievable Expand
  23. Oct 15, 2011
    I was pleasantly surprised by this show. i didn't have high hopes for it when I got a glimpse at the fall tv line-up. Not to mention, but there is something about Whitney that I just don't like. However, in this show whatever that 'something" is, it seems to fade away. I am definitely rooting for this show when the networks sit down to evaluate their current line-ups.
  24. Nov 22, 2011
    you will laugh uncontrollably at every joke. not because what you just heard was funny, but for a different reason you can't put your finger on. this show is the definition of "it's so bad it's good. and it's not like they tried to make it that way. they actually thought what they were writing was funny. that is what makes it so genuinely hilariously bad. it may not be a funny show in theyou will laugh uncontrollably at every joke. not because what you just heard was funny, but for a different reason you can't put your finger on. this show is the definition of "it's so bad it's good. and it's not like they tried to make it that way. they actually thought what they were writing was funny. that is what makes it so genuinely hilariously bad. it may not be a funny show in the way they intended but you will laugh witch is all that matters. Expand
  25. Dec 12, 2011
    The pilot episode for Whitney was one of the worst I've seen in years. However, the show has drastically improved since then, and is now my favorite new comedy of the season. The acting is much improved, and the cast really seems to click well together. If you have up on Whitney earlier this season, I'd suggest giving it a second look; you won't be disappointed.
  26. Zal
    Jan 11, 2012
    This is one of those shows that has good ideas but the execution is poor. I'm not a fan of Whitney Cummings. I've seen her stand up and I don't think she's very good. But from the previews, this show looked like it would be very funny. It wasn't. At least, not that much. Okay, it has its moments. I liked the silent treatment episode. But for the most part, it's good concept gone wrong.This is one of those shows that has good ideas but the execution is poor. I'm not a fan of Whitney Cummings. I've seen her stand up and I don't think she's very good. But from the previews, this show looked like it would be very funny. It wasn't. At least, not that much. Okay, it has its moments. I liked the silent treatment episode. But for the most part, it's good concept gone wrong. Everything seems so forced in this show. If there were some talented people behind this, this could have been good. Alas, it's pretty dull, which sucks because it has some good ideas. I've stopped watching it for now. I might give it another try in the future. Expand
  27. Mar 15, 2012
    I read reviews on this one before I started watching; as a result I expected to hate this show. Yet, every episode I watched I really enjoyed. The writers cleverly poke fun at each of the characters shortcomings while still keeping them real and likeable. Without exception, each episode has offered humerous insights into friendships and relationships. My wife, who typically hatesI read reviews on this one before I started watching; as a result I expected to hate this show. Yet, every episode I watched I really enjoyed. The writers cleverly poke fun at each of the characters shortcomings while still keeping them real and likeable. Without exception, each episode has offered humerous insights into friendships and relationships. My wife, who typically hates sit-coms - especially when they have a laugh track - now watches this show with me. Indeed, I usually watch this on the DVR before we get to Modern Family, Community or some of my other faves. Maybe this is a guilty pleasure, but I hope NBC picks this one up for another year. Expand
  28. Jan 16, 2012
    This isn't the worst show in the world, but it tries way too hard, and the jokes are unnatural. I can see people who really like old-school sitcoms digging this, but I don't think it has the charm of something like Friends.
  29. Jan 18, 2012
    I liked the show. If I was ever in a relationship, that type of relationship would be my ideal relationship. However, the acting does seem a bit forced on part of Whitney and the girls. It is clearly not natural. However, I find the jokes and awkward situations funny. It is like real life when we were teenagers and didn't have to worry as much about other people's opinions.

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Dec 8, 2011
    The problem is that Whitney is a terrible show, though in ways that resonate with our culture's debates about women and humor.
  2. Reviewed by: Mikey O'Connell
    Sep 23, 2011
    Instead of an entertaining half-hour to ease our wait for the return of "30 Rock," the network has given us another "Outsourced."
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Sep 22, 2011
    Eventually the mood relaxes, even as the slapstick amps up, and what may prove to be a charming comedy begins to emerge.