• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 22, 2011
  • Season #: 1 , 2
4.5

1. Feb 2, 2013
    A comedy is supposed to make you laugh, because well, that's the definition isn't it? This show isn't funny at all, it isn't worth any one person's time.
  2. Dec 3, 2012
    I really enjoyed this show last season. I read reviews and was hoping the show could stick around for a second season. The first few episodes of season 2 are pretty bad. Something seems off with Whitney Cummings. This is not the same character from last season. Her acting seems forced at times and reminds me of the character Roxanne. It is as if Whitney Cummings forgot how to act andI really enjoyed this show last season. I read reviews and was hoping the show could stick around for a second season. The first few episodes of season 2 are pretty bad. Something seems off with Whitney Cummings. This is not the same character from last season. Her acting seems forced at times and reminds me of the character Roxanne. It is as if Whitney Cummings forgot how to act and is copying Rhea Seehorn's acting style.
    I just hope she pulls it together and gets rid of the terrible hair extensions.
  3. Dec 2, 2012
    Not sure which is worse , seeing Cummings "try" to act or the overused sex jokes. The show is not fresh or new or ground breaking or even interesting, the characters are very unlikely people with very unlikely behaviors and in often very unrealistic scenarios.
  4. Nov 19, 2012
    i think the combination of them two is amazing...also the girls are funny too, in general its a funny show, i just dont like the recorded laugh reel... but besides its great! so two thumbs up!
  5. Aug 10, 2012
    Although periodically funny and sometimes does pack a good gut punching laugh, Whitney is a dry comedy where the jokes are lame and the acting is verging on mediocre. Whitney Cummings is a talented comic, but this show is simply a flop.
  6. Jul 9, 2012
    Whitney (the comic) is brilliant, as is co-star Chris D'elia. Whitney (the sitcom) has issues. Unfortunately, when the show debuted, to the horror of female viewers the nation over, the Lucille Ball style comedy, pitting a feeble, weak, emotional train-wreck of a fifties-style housewife against the smart, sassy, modern-day everyman who, somehow (to the shock of all who know them) managesWhitney (the comic) is brilliant, as is co-star Chris D'elia. Whitney (the sitcom) has issues. Unfortunately, when the show debuted, to the horror of female viewers the nation over, the Lucille Ball style comedy, pitting a feeble, weak, emotional train-wreck of a fifties-style housewife against the smart, sassy, modern-day everyman who, somehow (to the shock of all who know them) manages to put up with all the crazy, day in and day out, came across as offensive, to say the least... the very least. As time wore on, the grandness of Whitney Cummings' charm and personal wit combined with the spirit of joy and the pursuit of fun, embodied in her male lead, to offer the audience a true treat: the unmarried marrieds and their world of random youth-centered humor, on a terribly limited basis. You see, rather than fix what had gone so awry in the early stages of development, the producers and network executives fresh off of too many failures to mention took it upon themselves to attempt yet another shift toward the ever-threatening Friends-clone. When faced with the need to introduce more of the comedic tales and riffs so pronounced and laugh-inducing in the live stage shows of Cummings and D'elia, the decision was made to ignore reason and make greater use of a sour extended cast. Why make a show about a couple, with some friends, sure, but also with a magnificent set of in-laws in the form of Peter Gallagher and Jane Kaczmarek and with, oh... I don't know... jobs, when you can make another crummy Friends-clone starring a bunch of terrible actors? The cast consists of the magnificent Whitney Cummings, the ever-lively Chris D'elia, a boring red-head, a soulless blonde, a dwarf of some kind who may or may not be a cardboard cutout of a dead politician and, of course, a gay Indian, 'cause who doesn't need one of those lurking awkwardly in the corner of every scene. This show is bursting with underutilized talent in the form of the Cummings/D'elia pairing but also in the form of the tragically absent, perfectly cast, parents of the title character. If I were writing this, Whitney and Alex would move to Portland or Seattle, get real jobs, make new (less present) work friends and spend a heck of a lot more time with Whitney's parents, who have followed her there. I would not continue to waste such an opportunity as the one presented by the pairing of these two comedians by taking valuable screen-time away from the main characters, the main couple, in a misguided effort to recapture the glory of a long-dead sitcom, the stars of which were uniformly as talented as both Cummings and D'elia and none of whom, ever, even on their worst days, presented a performance as dull, lifeless or audience killing as the nameless, faceless, too-boring to recall, oddly present yet completely forgettable side characters from this sitcom, all of whom serve no purposes beyond giving the writers an excuse for their uninspired writing and allowing Whitney and Chris extra time in their trailers to perfect their new stage acts. I do not advise watching this unless, of course, you are studying the main actors in an effort to better your own comic timing, stage act, screenplay, book, or just make yourself a little more fun to be around. If you are looking for a romantic themed sitcom, buy Mad About You or The Nanny and pray for the day Cummings and D'elia find themselves freed from the shackles of the dead weight that is, fully, two-thirds of their main cast. As a last comment, I did so want to love this show. Expand
  7. Apr 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Good show. While loving the two main characters the entire ensemble seems to work well but lacking that something that would bring them together as a gang (look at Friends and How I Met Your Mother). It feels like "him & his friends" vs "her & her friends" which while more realistic, it escapes the format probably causing a bit of unease to the viewer. Recently the characters' relations have changed which if not dealt with carefully could lead to actors having to leave the show otherwise risking making it unbelievable Expand
  8. Mar 15, 2012
    I read reviews on this one before I started watching; as a result I expected to hate this show. Yet, every episode I watched I really enjoyed. The writers cleverly poke fun at each of the characters shortcomings while still keeping them real and likeable. Without exception, each episode has offered humerous insights into friendships and relationships. My wife, who typically hatesI read reviews on this one before I started watching; as a result I expected to hate this show. Yet, every episode I watched I really enjoyed. The writers cleverly poke fun at each of the characters shortcomings while still keeping them real and likeable. Without exception, each episode has offered humerous insights into friendships and relationships. My wife, who typically hates sit-coms - especially when they have a laugh track - now watches this show with me. Indeed, I usually watch this on the DVR before we get to Modern Family, Community or some of my other faves. Maybe this is a guilty pleasure, but I hope NBC picks this one up for another year. Expand
  9. Mar 5, 2012
    I thought the chemistry between characters in the first couple episodes to be a little lacking. Each show has gotten better.

Really look forward to watching new episodes
  10. Feb 25, 2012
    There a few jokes that are actually funny but most of them are just lame. The best part of the episode was recognizing the guy from 30 Rock and being reminded of better jokes. Even the opening bra shot was disappointing because her boobs are quite small.
  11. Feb 22, 2012
    I really love this show. I think it's great. It's funny, and the main characters have a good chemistry. It's a little different than the average sitcom and less formulaic.
  12. Feb 19, 2012
    when i watched this show , i could only think of two things : this show would be better if whitney didn't talk at all and she was naked all the time.
    but alas , she keeps saying unfunny things and always has clothes on.
    so i don't watch it
  13. Feb 11, 2012
    So NBC, why do you choose to torment the only people that actually care to tune in to your network with such drivel? There's no reason for half of the episode to consist of a laugh track to drown out the horribly unfunny "comedy." Just take it off the air already.
  14. Feb 10, 2012
    I fought my better judgement and decided to give this show a try. As expected, this show was a dud from the start. The acting is some of the worst I've seen, way too forced. If that weren't enough, the writing is sub-par, relying heavily on one-liners that inevitably fail. No thanks.
  15. Jan 18, 2012
    I liked the show. If I was ever in a relationship, that type of relationship would be my ideal relationship. However, the acting does seem a bit forced on part of Whitney and the girls. It is clearly not natural. However, I find the jokes and awkward situations funny. It is like real life when we were teenagers and didn't have to worry as much about other people's opinions.
  16. Jan 16, 2012
    This isn't the worst show in the world, but it tries way too hard, and the jokes are unnatural. I can see people who really like old-school sitcoms digging this, but I don't think it has the charm of something like Friends.
  17. Zal
    Jan 11, 2012
    This is one of those shows that has good ideas but the execution is poor. I'm not a fan of Whitney Cummings. I've seen her stand up and I don't think she's very good. But from the previews, this show looked like it would be very funny. It wasn't. At least, not that much. Okay, it has its moments. I liked the silent treatment episode. But for the most part, it's good concept gone wrong.This is one of those shows that has good ideas but the execution is poor. I'm not a fan of Whitney Cummings. I've seen her stand up and I don't think she's very good. But from the previews, this show looked like it would be very funny. It wasn't. At least, not that much. Okay, it has its moments. I liked the silent treatment episode. But for the most part, it's good concept gone wrong. Everything seems so forced in this show. If there were some talented people behind this, this could have been good. Alas, it's pretty dull, which sucks because it has some good ideas. I've stopped watching it for now. I might give it another try in the future. Expand
  18. Dec 12, 2011
    The pilot episode for Whitney was one of the worst I've seen in years. However, the show has drastically improved since then, and is now my favorite new comedy of the season. The acting is much improved, and the cast really seems to click well together. If you have up on Whitney earlier this season, I'd suggest giving it a second look; you won't be disappointed.
  19. Dec 9, 2011
    'Whitney' might just be the second worst show of 2011, as first place is taken by 'How to Be a Gentleman'.

Whitney Cummings, is beautiful and a very talented comedienne. But she is a bad actress, and her portrayal of her character in this sitcom isn't very "likable"... Terrible writing, bad acting, even worse jokes and lame laugh track... NBC usually do not carry laugh track shows...

NBC usually do not carry laugh track shows... but instead usually carry well written shows that emphasizes on quality scripts and acting. 'Whitney' doesn't fit in to that category.
  20. Nov 22, 2011
    you will laugh uncontrollably at every joke. not because what you just heard was funny, but for a different reason you can't put your finger on. this show is the definition of "it's so bad it's good. and it's not like they tried to make it that way. they actually thought what they were writing was funny. that is what makes it so genuinely hilariously bad. it may not be a funny show in theyou will laugh uncontrollably at every joke. not because what you just heard was funny, but for a different reason you can't put your finger on. this show is the definition of "it's so bad it's good. and it's not like they tried to make it that way. they actually thought what they were writing was funny. that is what makes it so genuinely hilariously bad. it may not be a funny show in the way they intended but you will laugh witch is all that matters. Expand
  21. Nov 11, 2011
    Whitney is laugh out loud funny. The first few episodes were a bit slow, but episodes 3-7 have been hilarious. Episodes 5, 6, and 7 had me having to pause the DVR because I was laughing so hard. Give this show a chance! It is risque, suggestive, and often down right dirty, but thoroughly enjoyable.
  22. Nov 10, 2011
    Oh my gosh do I HATE this show. Whitney acts like everything she says is hilarious. The show is not at all funny and the laugh track/live audience is horrendous. If it is a live audience, then they are filled with idiots---probably the very same people who tuned in 2.5 Men every week to laugh at the kid fart. Seriously, this show is BAD---caters to the idiots of America. If you likeOh my gosh do I HATE this show. Whitney acts like everything she says is hilarious. The show is not at all funny and the laugh track/live audience is horrendous. If it is a live audience, then they are filled with idiots---probably the very same people who tuned in 2.5 Men every week to laugh at the kid fart. Seriously, this show is BAD---caters to the idiots of America. If you like unoriginal jokes that a teenage kid could write and like to be hit over the head and be told when to laugh, you will like Whitney. Expand
  23. Oct 20, 2011
    Whats with all the negative reviews? You people must have a very dull sense of humour if you don't find this show funny. I mean it can be dull at times but 95% of the show is flat-out hilarious. I hope this show lasts because it is definite a perfect followup after the office. NBC thursdays just got alot more funny.
  24. Oct 15, 2011
    I was pleasantly surprised by this show. i didn't have high hopes for it when I got a glimpse at the fall tv line-up. Not to mention, but there is something about Whitney that I just don't like. However, in this show whatever that 'something" is, it seems to fade away. I am definitely rooting for this show when the networks sit down to evaluate their current line-ups.
  25. Oct 14, 2011
    Wow, I never thought I would care about characters as little as do for the people on this show. The characters, multi-camera set up/laugh track do not belong on NBC's Thursday. Put this garbage on CBS where it belongs!
  26. Oct 11, 2011
    What's truly upsetting with "Whitney" is that Whitney Cummings is a great comedic writer. However, someone had the brilliant idea to put her in front of a camera in a clunky sitcom with an uncomfortable "live audience" awkwardly laughing too loud at jokes that clearly seem forced and dry. Whitney Cummings is great when roasting, great as a stand-up comedienne, great as a writer, butWhat's truly upsetting with "Whitney" is that Whitney Cummings is a great comedic writer. However, someone had the brilliant idea to put her in front of a camera in a clunky sitcom with an uncomfortable "live audience" awkwardly laughing too loud at jokes that clearly seem forced and dry. Whitney Cummings is great when roasting, great as a stand-up comedienne, great as a writer, but terrible as a comedic actress. The best punchlines, bumpers, and laugh-tracks in the world couldn't save this sinking shipwreck. Sorry, Whitney, but "Whitney" is doomed. Expand
  27. Oct 6, 2011
    The absolute worst. So contrived. This show would be edgy if it was still 1993. How these overpaid, unoriginal executives still green light this tripe in a world where shows like The Office, Always Sunny, Modern Family exist is a ponderous mystery. Enjoy the next 4 weeks Whitney that's about as far in the future I hope the world has to endure this horrorshow.
  28. Sep 30, 2011
    I like Whitney as a comedian, but this show SUCKS. Seriously. Take this off and give the timeslot to Parks and Recreation, which is the best show on television.
  29. Sep 30, 2011
    Whitney is a funny woman, but this show does not in any way represent how hilarious she is. Her writing and acting is not as good as it should be, and I would be surprised to see this show get another season.
  30. Sep 29, 2011
    I really like Whitney Cummings' stand up and specials. I've heard her on many of my favorite podcasts and enjoyed her on the late night shows. I like her show "Two Broke Girls" though she doesn't act in it.

All that said, this show is TERRIBLE! I have no idea what happened here but this is likely the worst show on prime time TV. I doubt it will last much longer.
  31. Sep 27, 2011
    I think everyone decided they would like the new girl and not whitney before they saw the shows.......ive only seen both pilots but this was much better.....both trying to be liz lemon.
  32. Sep 27, 2011
    Based on all of the advertising this show made a lot of promises but didn't deliver. The fake live audience feel made this show come off as being from the 80s and not in a good way. I'll try a few more episodes but was definitely unimpressed.
  33. Sep 27, 2011
    In one word...terrible, this is a real turkey! Its the type of comedy that will have you crying, the jokes are stale, acting is wooden, the main characters are unlikable. I usually give everything a chance but after 10 minutes it was time to pull the plug! Worst show of the season by far.
  34. Sep 25, 2011
    Just seems really forced. It looked alright in the commercials, but the studio audience laughing makes it too much. I don't see this as a winning show. Pass.
  35. Sep 24, 2011
    Very cute and fun show. the pilot wasn't perfect but in time it will grow and become really good. Its like a female seinfeld. Dont believe what others say and there is no laugh track(its a live audience) and the laughing makes you feel welcomed into the atmosphere of a sitcom. Its great, just watch it!
  36. Sep 24, 2011
    Both of Whitney's comedies (2 Broke Girls is the other one) seem to suffer from the same ailment of trying to be too smart. These problems often solve themselves as the writers and cast settle into the production. I'm going to withhold judgement until I can digest a few episodes.
  37. Owl
    Sep 23, 2011
    As for the pilot, the relationships seemed forced and there was a lack of chemistry between the lead characters. Too many "easy" sex jokes. I wanted to like this show, but watching was kind of cringy. It is hard to watch an attractive girl like Whitney act like she is oblivious that she is good looking. It's just a bit ridiculous.I liked the secondary characters best, a couple that isAs for the pilot, the relationships seemed forced and there was a lack of chemistry between the lead characters. Too many "easy" sex jokes. I wanted to like this show, but watching was kind of cringy. It is hard to watch an attractive girl like Whitney act like she is oblivious that she is good looking. It's just a bit ridiculous.I liked the secondary characters best, a couple that is friends with Whitney. At least they were a little original. I won't be tuning into this one. Expand
  38. Sep 23, 2011
    Went in with an open mind, but truly hated the title character. Whitney is very, very annoying, no more, and no less. The writing was pedestrian. Pass!
  39. Sep 22, 2011
    I felt uncomfortable watching this show. The characters are forced. Feels like I'm watching the Honeymooners with a too frequent laugh track. Why can't NBC make quality shows anymore?!
  40. Sep 22, 2011
    Whitney Cummings is herself both funny and pretty. Her boyfriend Chris D'Elia is a great straight man and funny in his own right. The problem is that the supporting cast are simply not very impressive. Of course, it might help if the supporting characters themselves weren't written as simple caricatures. There's the playboy who thinks no man can be faithful. There's the divorcee drinkingWhitney Cummings is herself both funny and pretty. Her boyfriend Chris D'Elia is a great straight man and funny in his own right. The problem is that the supporting cast are simply not very impressive. Of course, it might help if the supporting characters themselves weren't written as simple caricatures. There's the playboy who thinks no man can be faithful. There's the divorcee drinking herself into oblivion. There's the overly happy couple. There's even the bitter, nagging mother. The premise is fine and the leads are great, but they really need to do away with the supporting characters and introduce some who are more interesting! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Dec 8, 2011
    The problem is that Whitney is a terrible show, though in ways that resonate with our culture's debates about women and humor.
  2. Reviewed by: Mikey O'Connell
    Sep 23, 2011
    Instead of an entertaining half-hour to ease our wait for the return of "30 Rock," the network has given us another "Outsourced."
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Sep 22, 2011
    Eventually the mood relaxes, even as the slapstick amps up, and what may prove to be a charming comedy begins to emerge.