Average User Score: 6.3Jan 13, 2013I wrote a long review and it was removed and only the rating was left. Anyway, I'll rewrite it. It was the best album released in 2010. ThereI wrote a long review and it was removed and only the rating was left. Anyway, I'll rewrite it. It was the best album released in 2010. There are some "party songs", like "California Gurls" and "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" and also some ballads, like "Not Like The Movies".
1. Teenage Dream - 7/10 - The song is good, but the falsetto is a bit annoying.
2. Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.) - 10/10 - Perfect for a party. The lyrics could be considered stupid, but everyone goes like that in a Friday night/Saturday morning.
3. California Gurls (feat. Snoop Dogg) - 10/10 - Another "party song". The song is also perfect if you're going to the beach.
4. Firework - 10/10 - Most inspirational song ever. Good beat, smart metaphor and all. Best track in the album.
5. **** - 0/10 - Every album has a bad song. It gets even worse when you find out what the song is about (hint: it's not about a bird).
6. Circle The Drain - 8/10 - Doesn't really go with the rest of the album, but it's a good song if you're going to listen to it separately.
7. The One That Got Away - 10/10 - Great love song. Most people will relate to it somehow.
8. E.T. - 10/10 - Perfect song with a smart metaphor. Nothing else to say.
9. Who Am I Living For? - 7/10 - Not sure how this ended up on the album, but it's a good track if you're going to listen to it separately.
10. Pearl - 10/10 - Perfect song about a bad relationship. I think most people will relate to it.
11. Hummingbird Heartbeat - 8/10 - The beat is good, but the metaphor in the lyrics is just stupid.
12. Not Like The Movies - 10/10 - Great ballad with smart lyrics. Slowest song from the album.… Expand
Average User Score: 5.6Jan 12, 2013First of all, I'm not a One Direction fan, so I don't think my review should be suspicious. I think the reason most Metacritic users ratedFirst of all, I'm not a One Direction fan, so I don't think my review should be suspicious. I think the reason most Metacritic users rated this album poorly is because they are biased and it became cool to hate One Direction. My opinion about the album: it's more mature than their previous album (Up All Night), and you'll probably like it (tip: act like it's not One Direction at the first listen) even if you don't really like boybands. Some tracks are ready for the parties while others are calm ballads, so I think it's pretty hard to rate this album overall. It's good because it doesn't matter if you prefer "party songs" or ballads, you'll probably like some tracks in the album. Track-by-track review (hope you don't fall asleep):
1. Live While We're Young - 10/10 - Best track in the whole album. Their first "party song", it will probably please anyone. Lyrics a bit shocking because of their public, but they can't get stuck in squeaky clean lyrics and love songs.
2. Kiss You - 8/10 - The beat is good, but the lyrics are really immature and don't fit the beat. Lyrics like "let me kiss you" are not really a good attempt at becoming mature.
3. Little Things - 2/10 - The beat is terrible and the lyrics are annoying and awfully describe details in a woman's body that no one would ever notice anyway ("You've never loved your stomach or your thighs, the dimples in the back at the bottom of your spine").
4. C'mon, C'mon - 10/10 - Again, a "party song". The lyrics are mature without getting shocking and the beat is fun and ready for the parties.
5. Last First Kiss - 9/10 - The beat is good, but the lyrics are confusing. "Last first kiss", after all, is it last or first? More upbeat than most of their songs, but not really a "party song".
6. Heart Attack - 6/10 - The beat is good, but again the lyrics are stupid. Last time I checked, you couldn't get a heart attack because of love. Also, the "ow!" in the chorus is pretty annoying.
7. Rock Me -7/10 - Good beat, the lyrics actually make some sense, but I didn't really like it. Sounds kind of boring.
8. Change My Mind - 1/10 - They sound like they're almost dying and the lyrics are stupid. If you want to stay, stay, if you wanna go, just go. No need to create a song about it.
9. I Would - 10/10 - Even though the lyrics about stealing someone's boyfriend might be quite shocking to parents, what's a love song without jealousy? More upbeat than most of their songs, while not being exactly a "party song".
10. Over Again - 7/10 - The lyrics are pretty smart, but the beat is boring even if you like slow songs.
11. Back For You - 8/10 - The beat is good, but the lyrics are not so smart ("Baby, you don't have to worry, I'll be coming back for you"). Upbeat without being a party song.
12. They Don't Know About Us - 9/10 - Great track, one of those us-against-the-world songs. Pretty much anyone would relate to it.
13. Summer Love - 5/10 - Great beat, but the lyrics are somehow stupid. "You always will be my summer love" doesn't make any sense at all. What does summer have to do with this?… Expand
Average User Score: 6.0Jan 11, 2013Rihanna's worst album so far. think she should care more about releasing good albums than an album every year. There are more ballads, unlikeRihanna's worst album so far. think she should care more about releasing good albums than an album every year. There are more ballads, unlike most of her previous albums. I liked her new music, but I like her old music better. She tries several different genres in the album, so you will like some songs regardless of your taste. The first few tracks are really stupid, but the rest of the album is not that bad.
Track by track review (a little bit long, so I hope you don't fall asleep):
1. Presh Out The Runway - 0/10 - It just sounds unfinished. Her voice is robotic, the instrumental could have been a lot better, and the lyrics are too stupid and don't make any sense.
2. Diamonds - 8/10 - I didn't really like it at first, but now I think it's pretty good song. The lyrics in the chorus don't make so much sense (are there any diamonds in the sky?) , but overall it's a good and inspirating song. Slower than most of Rihanna's music.
3. Numb (feat. Eminem) - 0/10 - Like in "Phresh Out The Runway", Rihanna sounds too robotic, and also Eminem couldn't sound weirder in this song. The lyrics are basically "I'm going numb" repeated several times, which isn't really creative.
4. Pour It Up - 1/10 - Again, Rihanna sounds robotic and weird. The lyrics are too repetitive, does she really have to repeat "still got my money" in the entire song?
5. Loveeeeeee Song (feat. Future) - 0/10 - Rihanna sounds too robotic (again?) and Future sounds like he wants to kill you when he should sound romantic.
6. Jump - 4/10 - One of the few not-so-bad tracks in the album. Rihanna still sounds a bit robotic, but the composition is pretty enjoyable and the lyrics make some sense, except for the "ride it, my pony" part that is just an attempt to talk about sex while keeping the track clean.
7. Right Now (feat. David Guetta) - 9/10 - Again, a good track in the album. A good and fun beat and lyrics that actually make sense. Best track in the album.
8. What Now - 7/10 - Nice and unexpected ballad, even though she sounds different from usual. Again, a good track in the album. Slower than most of her songs, which is not really a bad thing in this case.
9. Stay (feat. Mikky Ekko) - 6/10 - Good track, but I didn't really like some of Rihanna's parts, even though it's her song. Mikky Ekko really makes it better. Quite enjoyable if you like ballads.
10. Nobody's Business (feat. Chris Brown) - 8/10 - Even though Chris Brown sounds a bit annoying in this song, it's a pretty good and fun song. The composition is great for the parties, and I really think the lyrics are about some of Rihanna's life.
11. Love Without Tragedy / Mother Mary - 7/10 - The song is good. The lyrics are sad, but what's a ballad without sad lyrics? It's like "Titanic", you feel sad watching/listening to it but you like it anyway.
12. Get It Over With - 2/10 - Streak of good songs successfully broken. Her voice doesn't fit the lyrics, and the metaphor about "floating in the clouds" doesn't make any sense. The composition is not so bad though.
13. No Love Allowed - 3/10 - The composition is not so good, but the lyrics do make some sense, except for some parts like "911, it's a critical emergency yeah, run run run" that don't really have much to do with dangerous love the rest of the song describes.
14. Lost In Paradise - 8/10 - One of the best tracks in the album. Not a slow ballad, but not really a dance track. Different from anything Rihanna's ever released. Not quite sure how to describe it.… Expand
Average User Score: 4.7Jul 8, 2012Even though I wouldn't take it to the list of best albums ever, it's still a pretty good album. It's difficult to write a review of the albumEven though I wouldn't take it to the list of best albums ever, it's still a pretty good album. It's difficult to write a review of the album overall, because it's like two albums in one CD. Here goes a track by track review:
1. All Around the World (feat. Ludacris) - 10/10 - Party music used to be his weak point, but this is a pretty good track. If he keeps that up, he will sure please people with his music.
2. Boyfriend - 7/10 - Nice track, but he could have done it without the rap and the lyrics disappointed me.
3. As Long As You Love Me (feat. Big Sean) - 8/10 - The chorus is the best part. His vocal performance at the verses may disappoint a little, but it's not the worst thing in the world.
4. Catching Feelings - 7/10 - The instrumental track is good, but its lyrical content makes it worth a mixed review.
5. Take You - 8/10 - The complete opposite from 'As Long As You Love Me', the verses are good, but the chorus disappointed a little.
6. Right Here (feat. Drake) - 10/10 - Quite enjoyable track, specially because of Drake. 7. Fall - 3/10 - Its lyrical content is like that of any average song, and its instrumental track, specially in the chorus, is very annoying.
8. Die In Your Arms - 10/10 - One of the best tracks in the album. The lyrics may be somehow shocking for it being a Justin Bieber song, but I don't think it has anything your kid hasn't seen before.
9. Thought of You - 9/10 - Pretty enjoyable track, specially the chorus. I can't give it a 10 because I don't think the verses are good enough. They are good, but not good enough for me to give it a 10.
10. Beauty and a Beat (feat. Nicki Minaj) - 10/10 - It's one of that tracks that get stuck in your head. It has a beat anyone can enjoy, specially if you like parties.
11. One Love - 9/10 - Good track, even though the robotic sound in one part of the chorus is a little bit annoying.
12. Be Alright - 10/10 - If you like ballads, then that's a perfect track.
13. Believe - 9/10 - Nice melody, but its lyrical content makes it worth a 9.
Deluxe edition tracks:
14. Out of Town Girl - 1/10 - Its lyrical content is just so silly and its beat so annoying. Worst track in the album. Who actually cares if she's an out of town girl, Justin?
15. She Don't Like the Lights - 8/10 - Love in the lights is just the typical day of a celebrity's life, so I think no one would identify with this song. But anyway, it has a nice beat, just that the lyrics are not very inspirational.
16. Maria - 7/10 - If you know the whole story of Mariah Yeuter, then you can perfectly understand the lyrics. It was a pretty creative idea, but honestly, this song didn't surprise me, specially its beat.… Expand