|By date||Most helpful reviews||By my score||By metascore||By user score|
Average User Score: 7.0Nov 6, 2012The Good: Cut scenes look amazing, weapons look great, the majority of multiplay tweaks improve the game. The Bad: friendly AI mostly shootsThe Good: Cut scenes look amazing, weapons look great, the majority of multiplay tweaks improve the game. The Bad: friendly AI mostly shoots corpses, bad checkpoint system, poor balance on sounds with no settings, bullet sponges. … Expand
Average User Score: 8.3Nov 3, 2012• XCOM is a turn base strategy combat game where you lead a squad of soldiers into battle against an invading alien force while between• XCOM is a turn base strategy combat game where you lead a squad of soldiers into battle against an invading alien force while between missions researching new technology and building a base all while struggling to keep your soldiers alive.
• Balancing between the needs of your combat squad, research projects and the need to keep countries safe provides a tense balance that forces you to make real choices on how to spend your time and money and decide what is or is not an acceptable sacrifice (including the lives of your squad).
• While good at making the game feel more action packed than other turn based strategy games, the camera does some strange things whenever it gets into a building or tries to track special character actions or line of site. Seeing your character look like they are shooting at a wall only to hit the target behind it is not uncommon.
• While cripplingly hard, forced saving permanent death is an option, it is not forced upon you. On my cowardly save and re-load run through for example I did not loose a single character (though there were a few bleeding out by the end of the last mission).… Expand
Average User Score: 7.3Nov 3, 2012• Mark of the Ninja is a 2D side-scrolling stealth game where you play a ninja grappling from lamp posts and hiding behind plant pots in• Mark of the Ninja is a 2D side-scrolling stealth game where you play a ninja grappling from lamp posts and hiding behind plant pots in an effort to either avoid people completely of sneak up behind them for a silent kill.
• Early on the game presents some wonderful anime style cut scenes but does not deliver on their potential, being reduced to tiny bites as the game progresses.
• An interesting art style that combines with some well thought out user interface effects to convey exactly when you are hidden or visible and generally what will reveal your position to the enemy.
• While I struggle to find much wrong with the game mechanically, the entire package just feels un-exciting.… Expand
Average User Score: 8.1Nov 3, 2012• There is a long standing a gap between the action present in modern RPGs and MMORPGs, Guild Wars 2 is the next step in bridging that• There is a long standing a gap between the action present in modern RPGs and MMORPGs, Guild Wars 2 is the next step in bridging that gap.
• The dodge mechanic present in the game helps to add to that "action" feel, requiring the player to keep moving while concentrating on their positioning in the combat at all times.
• Though the combat system is a great improvement over more traditional MMORPGs, the game still bears many of the trappings that are a given part of any MMORPG.
• Containing both a traditional arena based PVP and more open area mass battle grounds offers a wide range of PVP options where though not always competing on equal grounds, even new players are given a chance by being boosted to max level.
• Though grinding is not required, population levels in certain parts of the game may cause certain dynamic events to either not trigger or be impossible for an individual to complete thus throwing off the expected leveling path. Otherwise the quest system is great.… Expand
Average User Score: 8.3Nov 3, 2012• Borderlands 2 is a game where you run around an open environment while shooting all manner of crazy creature, robot and bandit in the• Borderlands 2 is a game where you run around an open environment while shooting all manner of crazy creature, robot and bandit in the face and collecting the various items that pop out of them so that you can then take on larger more powerful creatures for even better loot.
• Frequently well executed humor but relies heavily on geek culture references and juvenile jokes that struggle to be heard over gunfire and other NPC conversations.
• A horrible "walk here, now here, now kill this then walk over there" quest system made worse by a poor map and tracking system.
• A heavy co-op focus that includes such enemies as the guy with the shield that needs to be flanked.
• While still arguably the best RPG loot grab / first person hybrid game, there is a clear sense of trying to do more than the first and failing to execute on some otherwise great ideas but it is still a great time to be had by a group of friends.… Expand
Average User Score: 7.9Nov 3, 2012• Dishonored is a game where you sneak around a semi-open world trying to take out a given person using either a weapons, traps, magic or• Dishonored is a game where you sneak around a semi-open world trying to take out a given person using either a weapons, traps, magic or conversation.
• Level design runs a gambit from wide open areas to tight corridors. The open areas are well set out and promote exploration and discovery which makes the tight corridors feel worse as you remember the great open areas that came before it.
• Stealth is handled slightly differently from most games and involves primarily line of site with shadows playing almost no part in the mechanic. This takes some getting used to at first however makes sense and ends up working well. A tip for protagonists: If you are trying to sneak around: do not walk around with a scary mask!
• Although the game allows you to either take either the lethal (kill everyone) path or the non-lethal (put people to sleep) path, the game clearly tells you that killing people is the wrong choice. Killing people makes the ending "worse" and takes rewards away from you. Taking the fast and aggressive path also bypasses all the interesting parts of the game and should be considered something extra to do rather than a legitimate way to play through the game (at least the first time).… Expand
Average User Score: 6.8Nov 3, 2012Assassins Creed 3 is a game where you stab a whole lot of people all in the name of an ancient rivalry between two groups seeking to enforceAssassins Creed 3 is a game where you stab a whole lot of people all in the name of an ancient rivalry between two groups seeking to enforce their beliefs on the world with you representing the "good" side of the equation.
Where the previous game lacked any real progression in the story line, although padded with long, boring stretches of "look, American history", does move the main story along and itself contain some interesting moments. I however have no idea how new players will handle the already confusing plot.
While "busy work" is often mundane, just exploring the world they created (and stabbing everything you see along the way) is still entertaining.
While bugs are often accepted in open world games such as this, walking into a bar and seeing one character spinning on a chair, one standing in their chair and approaching another through the table they are sitting at are just examples of the many out of out of place things you will find. Including a number of game mission moments.
As a fan of the series, the last game (Revelations) was an extreme disappointment and while not as good as the past games, Assassins Creed 3 is a welcomed return to form that falls just short of actually being a great game.… Expand