Average User Score: 6.9Apr 26, 2013Awesome Space RTS game with a lot of (working!) great ideas and concepts. It's the first game since SoasE, which fascinated me enough, to play it more than 80 hours. But it has to be mentioned, that Stardrive is updated every few days and has reached release status just today(!) Moreover the communication and feedback between programers and community is extremely good! :)
What I liked the most about Stardrive, besides the typical game play things like RTS and 4X elements, are the innovative new concepts for ship designing and fleet battles. It is possible to build all kind of ships, with a loadout, that I know from SciFi movies, games and books. (But not the look I'm sure, there will be graphic mods soon)
- ST Federation Ships: Strong Shields, 360°Phasors and Torpedos
- ST Klingon Ships: Fast Birds of Prey with strong forward disruptors
- Star Wars: Star Destroyers with strong 360° slow firing plasma weapons (relying on fighter crafts to engange small crafts)
- BSG: Carrier Ships with many fighter crafts (loadout can be individual, too), strong armor and close range point defense guns
- Stargate: Atlantis style star bases with shield/armor ignoring projectiles.
- Freelancer: Galaxy wide warp-enhancing "autobahn" network buildable similar to the jump gates routes in the game.
Other cool features:
- Ships need a lot of power generators or power cells to fly with FTL speed. (My first designed ship could only warp 3 seconds and fell out of FTL! ^_^)
- Boarding parties can caputure/defend ships
- EMP and energy depleting weapons
- Repair and resupply modules to assist other ships
- Warp Speed inside of Solar Systems can be limited/disabled in the game options, making planetary and orbital defenses more effective
- Weapon angles can be adjusted manually, which makes broadside attacks possible
- "TAB"-key shows volatile subsytems and weaknesses of all ships, making precision attacks with fighters possible.
- cute Owlwoks :)
Negative points, that prevented me from giving 10 points :
- Language localization is not available at the moment.
- Cloaking devices are missing. :(
- It is possible to conquer well defended planets with 10-15 ground troops. Planetary shields, orbital defense stations or fleets don't prevent invasion troops from landing.
- Ships can fly around in the whole galaxy from the beginning. No outposts, supply bases or technologies are needed, to extend the ship range.
Stardrive is definetly one of the few gems in my huge collection of mostly average Space RTS and 4X games. Ad unlike some other games in the last years, Stardrive didn't let me down. (Yes, I'm directly looking at you, Legend of P...!)… Expand