Average User Score: 2.5May 20, 2014The following review was posted by Rik one of our writers over at simplyplaystationgaming.com
It was not supposed to be like this. WhenThe following review was posted by Rik one of our writers over at simplyplaystationgaming.com
It was not supposed to be like this.
When Bloober first announced Basement Crawl, it’s fair to say that I got very excited.
My first experience with Bomberman was in the late 90′s in a combination of booze and local multiplayer mayhem. It was absolutely insane.
For anyone that has never played Bomberman, the core gameplay here is that you’re a character and your goal is to kill all other characters. Essentially there are three ways to kill someone in Bomberman, by setting traps, by trapping someone in a corner or by deviously panicking someone into suicide. You all start off in different corners of a static map needing to bomb through brick to get to other players to build up the excitement and then there are the power ups and evil ups to keep you on your toes. There is a balance that’s hard to explain and it’s simply one of the best multiplayer games. Ever.
So… You’ll forgive me that when I saw the first video of Basement Crawl that I made an instant connection and the game went on my “day zero” buy list.
I also went vocal about this, explaining my thoughts to PS4 mates. For less than a tenner it was considered by all to be a fair bet to increase the number of PS4 titles owned…
The week leading up launch day, 26th Feb, was genuinely exciting. We had planned a session in the SimplyPSGaming community. Being fully aware of launch day issues we went in with an open mind. It was still a bit of a disaster to put it positively.
So, I found a news article the next day that suggested that feedback was welcomed, so I emailed the following based on launch night:-
I play in a community (simplypsgaming) and last night we had 7 of us trying to connect together to play.
Firstly, when it works it’s blinding and brilliant.
However I saw the following issues: -
- game would hang on the screen where it shows the controls
- game would start and clock would be counting down but there would be no players or blocks
- game would start and clock would be counting down but there would be no players spawning
- game appeared to have some invisible players that were playing and laying bombs but I couldn’t see.
Four of my friends found the following issues: -
- whether following an invite or browsing to a game, the players list would be empty – these guys would often be stuck on this empty waiting for game screen
- some would see the game crash
I didn’t think I got it too bad but overall the night was not considered a success.
Some things we discussed that would improve the game/interface…
- give the players colours (red/brown/yellow/green/blue/pink/white/black?) – when playing with people you know it would be handy to have a better feel for who you’re stalking and it makes it more personal. You could provide a key of colours vs players too. When playing with multiple friends it’s good to know who you can throw banter at over party chat. Having multiple versions of the same character with exactly the same colours ruins the personal revenge aspect for sure!
- have a private function where you can choose not to have randoms joining you. This was definitely annoying.
- what is global rank? Any chance of showing when you progress global rank – maybe a profile page?
I’m happy supporting the game so let me know if there is anything else you’d like feedback on or whether you need any assistance in testing any patches so we can start to play this game regularly in the community I’m in. :)
The canned response:-
thanks a lot for your feedback, we are currently working on solving these issues and adding new features to the game. Sorry about your problems.
Pozdrawiam/Regards Aron Cender Marketing Manager Now, more than a month later, it’s a game that I can’t play. The lack of SP campaign, not living with other gamers and it being dropped by many players means that the hectic MP action is not delivered. On the rare occasions when there is a lobby that has more than one player, I am not able to connect. In the meantime my understanding is that Sony are telling people to wait for the patch before they provide a refund. Please fix it soon, Bloober!… Expand