Average User Score: 4.8Jan 5, 2014Need for Speed is going downhill, as with most any EA product. But let's get to it. This is my first review. Honestly, this game made meNeed for Speed is going downhill, as with most any EA product. But let's get to it. This is my first review. Honestly, this game made me too angry to just sit here.
First of all, it does look nice. Even though on PS3 it's still only in 720p, it still looks nice. But beyond that, it is lacking. Heavily.
For starters, the streamline direction that games are going is nice and wonderful; making things nice and organized into quick-access menus is a nice idea. Some people can pull it off (e.g. Bethesda). This one doesn't. The HUD is overloaded. There's too much happening on screen to be able to adequately focus cars that don't turn (even if you are only doing 20 mph). I press one button on the d-pad and I have to press 5 more to do something and hope to God I don't crash. Or get busted. More on that later.
Next, following the "streamline" theme, the pursuit mechanics are, shall we say... actually I don't even understand them. It will tell me about three different things and then it will say the pursuit has resumed even though there are no cops in sight. Don't understand that. EA has started making less and less sense. They're like an old WWII Vet going senile. Super senile. Like the Old Man from Pawnstars. All I hear from them anymore is "money, money, money!" But I digress. You've streamlined yourself a nice little road straight to hell, EA, there there is a special circle for a good 80% of your games. The other 20% are the ones you merely published before closing down the developers. Like Westwood. Give me back Red Alert.
Losing all your "speed points" when you "get busted" (which happened to me while I was next to two cops, while still moving--still trying to figure that one out) is probably the most annoying and ridiculous idea that they ever thought up in terms of punishment in a game. Seriously. In pretty much every game before involving hot pursuits in the NFS franchise, nothing is atrocious as this. There are a number of atrocious things, but nothing this atrocious. It's sad, really. Negative reinforcement can be a good thing. It's supposed to make you want to work harder and improve yourself. All this makes me want to do is genocide. That's not good, EA. Not good.
Speaking of atrocities (apart from pretty much the entire game itself), there's the car performance itself. While it's one thing they literally do not maneuver, it's another thing that when you buy what are supposed to be real cars, they don't perform remotely similar to those real cars until you buy performance upgrades. I know it's not "super realistic" (see, well, the entire game), but still. Are these go-karts? No, wait, those perform better. My Saturn Vue performs better. And it's almost 11 years old.
The game is not fun. I'm constantly bombarded with police and traffic that simply appears from thin air that it is near impossible to just enjoy driving or racing for that matter. Or hell, even hot pursuits. Granted driving's not the point of this one, but the point of Hot Pursuit was to pummel each other in the most annoying ways possible yet I still was able to enjoy driving there. It's impossible to revel in the fact that there are nice cars driving around when I'm being attacked at all angles by people who literally have no life. Or a computer that cheats more than... okay I lost an analogy for that one. Something to do with New Jersey.
Granted, my favorite Need for Speed of all time was Need for Speed Most Wanted (the 2005 version on PS2). I feel like the HD NFS games have lost their roots. It's like the Baptists have gone Methodist (no offense to any denomination). They've lost their purpose. They've gone from once fun racing joys to over-produced money-grabbing BS.
EA, it's stuff like this why you've been rated the worst company in the world 2 years in a row. Okay, fine, just the US, but still. I know you're not phased one bit. You're making billions by turning into Activision. But until you come up with a better Need for Speed, I'll go back to playing Test Drive Unlimited 2. At least Atari didn't lie to us. Or over-produce it. Even if they got people who horribly overacted. And I get to spend time in a replica of Hawaii. I think I'll go visit my cousin.… Expand