|By date||Most helpful reviews||By my score||By metascore||By user score|
Average User Score: 4.3Oct 13, 2013I was astonished at the critics review...no amount could bribe me into writing anything positive about this game, that clearly was not readyI was astonished at the critics review...no amount could bribe me into writing anything positive about this game, that clearly was not ready to be released.
To start it off, the interface is annoying as hell and it resembles another failing concept: Microsoft! That should have been the first warning. Actually, the first real warning was the demo very disappointing, slow, full of bugs and with the worst gameplay that has ever been developed.
But I'd like to go into detail.
1. Graphics: Lazy! The overall graphic of players, stadiums, fans, flags, etc. has virtually not improved at all. Same old, same old. It has not gotten worse however, but I am not sure you can call that an accomplishment. My personal beef is with the player's shorts: it looks like the shorts are made of carton, what the hell is that?
2. Pace: if in Fifa 13 Welliton played better than Messi and Ronaldo, in Fifa 14 stats, especially pace, bear no significance whatsoever. Mertesacker can catch Walcott and Lavezzi is outrun by Cole. This by itself is absolutely ridiculous. There is absolutely no point in using wingers, especially fast ones, because in Fifa 14 pace has no bearing.
3. Stats: for ultimate team especially, stats mean nothing anymore. The perfect example is Kompany vs. David Luiz: the former is rated 86 and the latter 82. Now compare individual stats (i.e. on Futhead) and you will see that Luiz is rated better on almost everything. So why that rating? 86 to 82 is an enormous difference, however, the reality is that David Luiz plays better (or equal at best) in game than Kompany. This makes no sense especially considering how the two payers are rated in the real world. I picked Luiz vs. Kompany but you can see this on a lot of other players.
4. Bugs: The game is infected with all sorts of problems. I will name a few that are the most annoying:
a) Headers: in Fifa 14 getting a corner kick is equal to getting a penalty kick. In fact, the conversion rate of headers is just as high as the conversion rate of penalties. There is no way to defend corner kicks other than sheer luck or inability of your opponent. I have seen things such as Valbuena jump over Thiago Silva, or Sau jump over Chiellini. How does any of this make sense?
b) Finesse: I have gotten scored on (once with Lloris and once with Sirigu in the goal) from 50 yard finesse shots, once by Fellaini and once by Tiote...in 2 words: Science Fiction!!!
c) DNF: this is the cherry on top. The game came out now for a month and I accumulated a multitude of losses because the other players (often upset by the score) would disconnect. The beauty of it is that on my FUT season screen it shows my opponent with the infamous "DNF" symbol, yet the score reads 3-0 for the player that disconnected. How does that make any sense? It has happened at least 7 or 8 times to me personally. Moreover, I was present when the exact same thing happened to a friend of mine, who also reported this, since it had happened a number of times to him as well. But the best part of it is, I got messaged by those players, who claimed they would do this regularly and successfully. Just great.
5. Arbitrariness: EA gave stats without any thoughts as to reality. A couple of examples are:
a) Messi (and many other incredible players) with 4 star skills, when countless videos online show said players doing all sorts of tricks and skill-moves (on and off the field);
b) Pirlo and Totti, respectively with pace 58 and 51, while equally as slow players, such as Gerrard, have pace 67;
c) This is a very personal beef and I understand if most gamers won't agree, but I have to be honest with myself and with the team I support. So, whenever a player goes to a big club, his stats will sky-rocket, but when a promising player goes to an average club the stats are ridiculously lowered.
For example, see Gervinho to Roma lost rarity and 2 overall points; Maicon went to Roma lost 6 overall points (6!!!); Strootman rated 78 (last season he made TOTS for Dutch league IF) and now that he went to Roma? Still 78! But the funny thing of it all is that Roma, right now, is sitting at the top of the table with 7 games played and 7 wins.
Good job EA...overall I'd say A for … Expand