Average User Score: 6.4May 4, 2013There is so much potential here that I hope is realized in future updates. Paradox has released a game that has little content, and some day-1There is so much potential here that I hope is realized in future updates. Paradox has released a game that has little content, and some day-1 DLC that costs more than the game. Not a good start.
1. Level size. Much too small, especially given this is a naval strategy game. Give us some open water to work with and it would improve the game immensely!
2. Weapon choices/balance. Because of claustrophobic levels and minimum firing distances, the weapons designed for longer range combat are crippled. Artillery is entirely useless. Rockets are OP, as you can load up a ship with them and carpet bomb enemies with impunity. I hope they fix the weapons so that filling ships with rockets and/or the smallest cannons is no longer the only real option.
3. A.I. It's pretty bad. They frequently run themselves ashore and die. Their railgun accuracy is horrible except at point blank range, which works out because they LOVE to come flying out of the fog and crash into you, causing as much or more damage to themselves as they do to your ship. Sure it's funny and all, but it makes no sense as a naval tactic, and it further invalidates long range weapons.
4. Hulls. There are barely any, unless of course you pay $10 for two DLC's to unlock some that should have come with the game. The points system is pretty cool, but we need more choices!
5. Content. The campaign was short and pretty boring, even during co-op with friends. The challenges are basically tower defense levels. Altogether it's 5-8 hours depending on skill and how much lag you experience (if playing co-op). I'm sure Paradox has plans to release additional campaigns/challenges, but I suspect it will be more overpriced DLC. It would be great if there was a way to set up your own levels against A.I., but there isn't. There's little incentive to replay anything, and online matchmaking is pretty barren, even so soon after release.
There is a good foundation here that I really hope they expand on. Sadly, right now the game just isn't much fun. Balance is not good, content is lacking, interface and graphics are nothing special.… Expand