Average User Score: 5.3Jul 11, 2013Ok. I have played for awhile and it's an alright game but understand one thing THE GAME IS PAY TO WIN and while it might be free to play,Ok. I have played for awhile and it's an alright game but understand one thing THE GAME IS PAY TO WIN and while it might be free to play, just spending $10 will put you above your free playing opponents. Every loading screen you go through will tell you how much you can gain by spending gold. After playing for 5-6 hours online and offline here is my conclusions:
1. It is Pay-to-Win. There are characters and items you cannot get without paying money. It seems like an older F2P model and most companies have learned that if you offer everything in the game but make it harder to achieve the free players stick around making the game better for the paying players.
2. Within two weeks the game will be all pay players and then probably vanish. As a veteran game tester for dozens of games I have seen this happen to countless games. A great game comes out F2P and then the free players are not supported and the game vanishes leaving only the people that paid playing against other paying players... usually a game dies pretty quick when this happens.
3. I like the idea of Gladiator Death... your gladiator can and will die. The amount you have to pay scales upwards with each death. One day after many deaths you will have to retire the character or keep paying real money to keep them alive.
4. You will lose at later fame rankings if you are not paying real money for gear.
5. Quick Match has horrible match making but you have to wait forever to play individual pvp. Ok. Twice I have had a rank score in the 50's and had to fight against someone 100 points ahead of me. Needless to say I was executed at the end every time. Losing gladiators is going to happen but you should lose them against similar ranked opponents. Outside of quick match you setup an individual gladiator for pvp... sometimes you will not get a match in an hour. The best way is queing for quick match at peak times.
It's a decent game with many flaws. It follows a failed F2P system which will cause the game to peak in a couple weeks and then you will only have paying players even new players to the game at that point will be slaughtered.
There are many glitches and internet speed is all important as I don't believe the game compensates for slower internet speeds (such as CoD: Black Ops) and you will become frustrated as you get hit by invisible swords. I slowed my own internet to see how bad it gets and it got bad after playing youtube on a single computer and playing the game on my Xbox.
The game is about your Ludis not your gladiators. You get to keep any gear you have and share it with all your gladiators. Gladiators will usually make much more than they are worth (unless you are paying gold for the cooler gladiators).
About this F2P System
This is a Pay to Win at an extreme. If you spend $10 you will be superior to all your opponents that didn't spend. Spend enough money and you can button mash your way to victory against all but the most skilled opponents. I understand the need for a game to make money but there are some great companies to follow for a good F2P system. Perfect World is a company that does it right. You pay money for skins, bonuses, cooler equipment but the barrier between paying clients and non-paying clients is not as wide. So, prepare to lose if you are not spending money on the game. Think of it more as a long trial period because once you get past the Fame 20 you will be getting executed. On the other side, if you like to spend a little real money of your F2P games be prepared to kill the non-payers.... for now. Games that have this much pay to no-pay disparity don't last long.… Expand