Average User Score: 7.9Sep 26, 2011This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. God, there's so much to write about this album. To me, it's the album that got me into metal. And made Metallica my 3rd favorite band. I think I'll go track by track, the ones that i like the most, and the ones that made my vote a 9 instead of a 10:
1) That Was Just Your Life: Awesome song, pure fast, angry, awesome trash metal. A perfect start for a great album.
2) The End Of The Line: Somehow, this track just doesn't fully convince me. I think it is because it could have been more.
3) Broken, Beat & Scarred: A jewel in the album. This song doesn't get neither boring nor old. It's a modern version of Seek and Destroy: a catchy intro, several riffs that follow each other until it settles in one for the verse, an awesome yet simple chorus, a rampaging break that build into an amazing solo, another awesome chorus, and a great end riff. Simply mind-blowing.
4) The Day That Never Comes: this is a modern mix between Sanitarium and One for me. With a suitable intro, a calm and emotional verse that builds up onto the desperation of the chorus. And then, the break. And the rage starts up with the whole riffing that begins at 5:01 and ends the song. It communicates everything it should make you feel with very simple lyrics and great riffs that speak for themselves.
7) The Unforgiven III: really disappointing. I was hoping for an epic sequel to the lame second part of this "story" if you will. Not bad, but not good either.
8) The Judas Kiss: Awesome, this song would have as equally rocking without the lyrics. A metal masterpiece.
9) Suicide & Redemption: WOW, just, WOW. Nothing to say here, every riff repetition is in the exact place and it is played the exact number of times. It cannot get better. The top of the album.
10) My Apocalypse: Pure, ravaging trash metal.
Well, that was my opinion. I know people will hate me for not saying anything about All Nightmare Long, but i didn't like nor care about that song much. Don't misunderstand me, i like it, but any other song that isn't from Load, Reload nor St. Anger (with the exception of St. Anger and Frantic) could have filled it's spot.… Expand
Average User Score: 5.7Sep 26, 2011Okay, i think that, as many have said, this album is a blast from the past, with a little difference: the lack of soloing. People might sayOkay, i think that, as many have said, this album is a blast from the past, with a little difference: the lack of soloing. People might say that how fast you play isn't important, but if you want a real good Metallica album, then it has to have soloing. I pretty much didn't like most songs individually (there are some exceptions; like St. Anger, which resembles Motorbreath in it's raw yet entertaining style), but i think that the album as a whole holds up pretty well. For that, i give it a 7.… Expand