Average User Score: 7.0Jun 20, 2012The absence of gamepad support for Mac owners is a critical flaw. Why TF am I driving around trying to negotiate space (handbrake) c (turbo) z (rapid shift) and alt (ram charge) with my left hand, whilst my darned 360 controller is sitting in front of my keyboard doing the square root of naff all? I ploughed through Assassin's Creed Brotherhood using keyboard only. And, tbh, it kinda worked. But driving games without gamepad support? It's a total mess, and borderline unforgivable.… Expand
Average User Score: 4.4Jun 19, 2012On Mac, it's impossible to set the mouse to anything other than 'obscenely twitchy and sensitive,' thereby rendering a game that retires entirely on carefully-judged mouse movements 400% pointless.
The presentation might be kinda dinky, if that bakes your biscuit. It really is a very basic take on Pong, with a shocking UI, though. Avoid (unless bundled and essentially free.)… Expand
Average User Score: 5.0Feb 14, 2012Mac version... I DLed this from the App Store (Â£27) having heard it's similar to Borderlands. OMG what a mistake. Filled with technical glitches, which meant it took 2hrs to even get playing. Driver support for controllers is a nightmare; I lost count of the number of times I went through various processes, restarted my iMac, etc, etc, before finally getting the blasted thing to work. The game itself is filled with dire, dull, excruciatingly bland cut-scenes which cannot be skipped. Replete with characters it's tremendously hard to give a monkey's about, and who spiel out the most unutterably bland dialogue. "I'm a mechanic. You can fix your car here. Press Y to have me fix your car. You can also call me by radio..." Bluergh. I've taken to checking my emails / cutting away from Rage whilst the dull-as-ditchwater cutscenes play out. Gameplay is uninspiring. The RPG / upgradeable element is almost non-existent. 'Choose one of four armour suits, which'll give you a static benefit throughout the game.' Great. Firing weapons is remarkably tedious: all weapons have 100% predictable stats (unlike Borderlands), with crosshairs that *do not waver one inch*, even in hyper-zoomed sniper rifle mode. There's no element of chance, either; every weapon (even the pistol) hits 100% if your entirely stable crosshairs are 100% on the target. Bleurgh. Silent weapons - afaict, and having completed the single campaign - are utterly pointless, bringing no benefits whatsoever. Even the potentially interesting weapons - like mind control bolts - turn out to be futile 95% of the time, and only marginally less useful than usual bullets the other 5%. AI is dull. Everyone behaves the same. Everyone seeks exactly the same cover points: keep throwing grenades until everything's obliterated. Things only get remotely interesting in the later levels, with LARGE hordes of melee fighters. Penultimately, the racing rapidly switches between ridiculously easy and a matter of raw luck; the 'driving' aspect of the game only brings 4 cars with it, each of which have a very finite number of worthwhile upgrades. Finally, the campaign is chuffing tiny. Like, 11hrs and 20 minutes in - and I thought I was taking things slowly - I've finished a 'normal' campaign. Replay value feels minimal, though I'm trying to gather the inspiration to have a go at 'hard' or 'nightmare.' Compare that with Borderlands - the best part of a year on, I've got 2 characters running the various campaigns, with well over 60hrs of gameplay between them. I was kinda stunned when I realised I'd finished Rage, in a very much 'is that ACTUALLY it?!' kinda way. On any replays, I'll look for a bit more in the way of side missions / exploring... but I get the feeling there isn't much there. All in all, vapid, dull, characterless, bland. Beautiful scenery. But - good grief - I really can't understand why anyone would choose this over Borderlands. Or even Bioshock (or Bioshock 2, soon to be released). Particularly on a Mac, at the moment, Rage is nowhere near worth it.… Expand